Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The original candidate for DC Comics' first headlining black superhero was a character called the Black Bomber, a white racist who would turn into a black superhero under stress,[4] and be later described by comics historian Don Markstein as "an insult to practically everybody with any point of view at all."[5]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Guy Goodbody posted:

There are two Marvel superheroes called Thunderbird

Goddamn. The X-Men are just a convoluted mess. What does Marvel even pay X-editors to do, look at lady mutant pin-up calendars all day?

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I'm still going to watch the whole thing, but my lack of hype for Iron Fist comes from the simple fact that the trailers and teasers have been poo poo compared to the other Marvel Netflix shows.

The Daredevil trailers are so loving good. The S1 trailers are masterpieces. The Jessica Jones trailers set the tone perfectly and that Of Monsters and Men song might as well have been a theme song. Luke Cage had atmosphere, perfect music and showed just enough action and grounded character interaction, and it still pulled off a different feel than the other two.

Iron Fist was just techno stuff and him turning to the camera :

"It's time..."

"This is my destiny..."

"I'm going with you"

"No you're not!"

"You need me"

"A change is coming Daniel...become what you were meant to be"

(this is the actual sequence of dialogue from the trailer)

It's impossible to be more cliche than that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gyges posted:

Goddamn. The X-Men are just a convoluted mess. What does Marvel even pay X-editors to do, look at lady mutant pin-up calendars all day?

Also, are they hiring?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
As long as Danny punches that dragon, it'll all be worth it.

Please don't gently caress us on this, Perlmutter.

Aphrodite posted:

Also, are they hiring?

Bad news, they're being folded into the Inhumans line.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 9, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gyges posted:

The original Thunderbird had been dead for years before they introduced the second Thunderbird.

He died by beating up an airplane

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Well, that's certainly a way to go out. Especially with 3 other people on site who could stop the plane without dying. 3.5 if Colossus' fast ball is up to snuff.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also I think it's made clear Banshee could have disabled it with his powers if Thunderbird just jumped off.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Who is the guy in the plane and why did Thunderbird hate him so much?

Also, if Sepinwall is not just saying your Netflix Marvel show is mediocre but is outright bad, then you are fuuuuuucked.

Makes me wonder about the back half of the eps though, and I'm sure Netflix will count on that combined with immediate binging.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 9, 2017

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
It would be hilarious Iron Fist is the only one not get a season 2. They should fold him into Luke Cage if that happens.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

HIJK posted:

It would be hilarious Iron Fist is the only one not get a season 2. They should fold him into Luke Cage if that happens.

Or just let him fade into the background. I agree with one of the reviews posted earlier, planning out five seasons in advance was a mistake. I think if they had just said they were gonna do four character shows, characters to be named later, then the Defenders, they would've been able to adjust their plans and make the Night Nurse the fourth Defender. She'd be the moral center of the team, she's able to puncture the seriousness of the other characters with tone appropriate humor instead of being the "comic relief", and she's a potential romantic partner for the other three Defenders. It's perfect. Plus she's the hottest woman in the MCU.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Guy Goodbody posted:

The original Thunderbird had been dead for years before they introduced the second Thunderbird.

He died by beating up an airplane

Like, I'm not the worlds biggest X-fan, so correct me if I'm wrong, but doesnt nightcrawlers teleporting work on line-of-sight? So if he can see the plane (for example on pretty much any panel on that second page) he can bamf over to it, grab thunderbird and bamf away?

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

I guess now I can chime in and say I have seen the first 4 episodes and they suck and you spend most of the time hoping the Hand would show up already because they would be a vast improvement on the boring side character drama going on.

I really want the show to be good so I hope it improves. :shrug:

[Edit] Watch Legion.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I don't think tactical realism-ing Chris Claremont comics is a path we want to go down.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SiKboy posted:

Like, I'm not the worlds biggest X-fan, so correct me if I'm wrong, but doesnt nightcrawlers teleporting work on line-of-sight? So if he can see the plane (for example on pretty much any panel on that second page) he can bamf over to it, grab thunderbird and bamf away?

There's a range limit. Otherwise he could just put on a space suit and bamf over to Alpha Centauri

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's also not instant so he'd have to be good at leading the jet.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Longbaugh01 posted:

Who is the guy in the plane and why did Thunderbird hate him so much?

Also, if Sepinwall is not just saying your Netflix Marvel show is mediocre but is outright bad, then you are fuuuuuucked.

Makes me wonder about the back half of the eps though, and I'm sure Netflix will count on that combined with immediate binging.

The guy in the plane is Count Nefaria and he is a mega-dick.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Doesn't Thunderbird's brother join X-Force as Warpath or something? And he's basically the same exact character? It's been awhile since I've read them.

"Landfill #2! You are so much better than Landfill #1!!!"

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Or just let him fade into the background. I agree with one of the reviews posted earlier, planning out five seasons in advance was a mistake. I think if they had just said they were gonna do four character shows, characters to be named later, then the Defenders, they would've been able to adjust their plans and make the Night Nurse the fourth Defender. She'd be the moral center of the team, she's able to puncture the seriousness of the other characters with tone appropriate humor instead of being the "comic relief", and she's a potential romantic partner for the other three Defenders. It's perfect. Plus she's the hottest woman in the MCU.

And deny us an adaptation of Marvel's first interracial gay couple????

Honestly though I didn't watch Dexter but the fault really lies with the showrunner it sounds like and Marvel should have known better.

Oh well at least Defenders will terrible, probably

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

HIJK posted:

Luke Cage and Iron Fist are always better together.

So help me if Netflix fucks up Luke and Danny as buddies, there will be internet hell to pay.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Presumably part of the casting process for Iron Fist was making sure he had good on-screen chemistry with Luke Cage. They couldn't have hosed that up, right?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Guy Goodbody posted:

At least they've adjusted their plans moving forward. Punisher was the best part of DDS2 and so his own series is filming right now.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SiKboy posted:

But Thunderbird WANTS a noble warrior's end, not to run and hide!

Bananaquiter posted:

[Edit] Watch Legion.

This. SO MANY TIMES THIS!

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Or just let him fade into the background.

Which especially sucks, because they really can't do that. The best-case scenario is probably if they mix up the shows, and just use Danny in a Heroes for Hire capacity. Apparently Colleen Wing is pretty good in this show, though. Maybe she'll punch a dragon to death and get chi powers. I'd rather watch a good show than a faithful-to-the-source-material show.

Also, though, who said Marvel should even be expected to keep all of these solo ventures running? Daredevil, Punisher, and Luke Cage probably have the deepest roster of characters and stories. Feeling obligated to keep pace with parallel seasons for everyone sounds like a liability. I'd rather they realize what doesn't work, and try something new instead. Moon Knight, or Blade, or whatever.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Guy Goodbody posted:

I've never read comic-book Jessica Jones, is this likely to happen? I'm not saying I'm against it...

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Xealot posted:

Which especially sucks, because they really can't do that. The best-case scenario is probably if they mix up the shows, and just use Danny in a Heroes for Hire capacity. Apparently Colleen Wing is pretty good in this show, though. Maybe she'll punch a dragon to death and get chi powers. I'd rather watch a good show than a faithful-to-the-source-material show.

An all new Iron Fist is totally faithful to the source material. I think Danny is the second longest serving/living Iron Fist after the WWI Iron Fist who went MIA for almost a century.

Plus on their 33rd birthday a demon comes to kill them and eat their chi/try and eat a baby dragon.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Yakmouth posted:

I've never read comic-book Jessica Jones, is this likely to happen? I'm not saying I'm against it...

In the comics, Jessica is normally Jessica Jones Cage.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Yakmouth posted:

I'd think a woman like Jessica, who has many reasons to disdain and mistrust men and who resents traditional trappings of femininity, has probably at least considered it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Xealot posted:

I'd think a woman like Jessica, who has many reasons to disdain and mistrust men and who resents traditional trappings of femininity, has probably at least considered it.

It's never come up in the comics to my knowledge. Jessica's always been straight and most of the time is married to Luke Cage.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I don't think tactical realism-ing Chris Claremont comics is a path we want to go down.

You can't wear that much leather! You'd overheat!!!

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Ugh. Come on Marvel TV, it is not hard is it to make this show about something. It was perfect grounds for a feet-in-two-worlds exploration of identity (with a dash of genre deconstruction). All you had to do was make his mom of Asian descent and BOOM it's a show about a biracial American struggling with the conflicts of his heritage. The top-down order of the father vs the spiritual energy of the mother. Hire a biracial American actor. Make some homage scenes to Brendan Lee while you are at it. Everyone loves it. Cue season 2.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It'd have to be one hell of a loving homage to make up for spelling his name wrong...

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

tooterfish posted:

It'd have to be one hell of a loving homage to make up for spelling his name wrong...

The dude died 25 years ago, it's impressive that Paolomia even remembers him. That does cast some doubt on his assertion that everyone would love a show with Brandon Lee homages in it, tho

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The only Asian actors without an accent* Hollywood knows are Hiro from Heroes, John Cho, and Ken Jeong.

(*: Because they'll never give someone with one the lead.)

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I really don't know why of all backstories they gave him one almost exactly the same as Green Arrow season 1.

Even if it's canonicaly true there's no way to avoid comparisons especially if you're doing a worse version of it.

Iron Fist should've been a "pooah boy from Chinatown" and he should've had a wacky white trucker sidekick.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

The dude died 25 years ago, it's impressive that Paolomia even remembers him. That does cast some doubt on his assertion that everyone would love a show with Brandon Lee homages in it, tho
How would you even do a Brandon Lee homage anyway, shoot someone on set?

That's basically his entire career, if you don't count Showdown in Little Tokyo... and no one sane is going to do an homage to that pile of poo poo.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Paolomania posted:

Ugh. Come on Marvel TV, it is not hard is it to make this show about something. It was perfect grounds for a feet-in-two-worlds exploration of identity (with a dash of genre deconstruction). All you had to do was make his mom of Asian descent and BOOM it's a show about a biracial American struggling with the conflicts of his heritage. The top-down order of the father vs the spiritual energy of the mother. Hire a biracial American actor. Make some homage scenes to Brendan Lee while you are at it. Everyone loves it. Cue season 2.

A Wendel Rand from "India" could open up some interesting casting options when Danny's half sister shows up down the road. poo poo, the actual origin of Wendel is that the previous Iron Fist rand into orphan boy Wendel in a Nepalese bar, and then took him under his wing. Which is how Wendel knew about K'un-Lun in the first place.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

BiggerBoat posted:

It's Black Vulcan. :colbert:

Next up for Netflix: DC's Black Vulcan and Whitefish

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Static Shock was an awesome cartoon and honestly was a fine show for black kids to watch and look up to, because he was essentially a Peter Parker type but with dreads and a skateboard and for a WB show it goes on to tackle racism/gang violence head on and plays it pretty straight.

My heart will always go out to Spawn, even if Todd Macfarlane's attempt to subvert cultural stereotypes misfired since his black character is essentially a homeless vet who can't takecare of his family (who goes on to become a literal angel-loving, god-slaying psychopomp), but there is a trashbag character named Nightwatch who I was super into as a lad ('93-'95). He was basically Techno-Spawn from the ground up, a black scientist who discovers a top-secret nano-suit, but his precious limited run ended up in time-travel fuckery and I JUST NOW learned from reading his wikipedia that they re-introduce him into She-Hulk's law firm in 20-loving-15 and his storyline is so pants-on-head that I'm wondering if there is like a German word for "the act of wishing they'd just let this character fade away instead of watching him suck really bad now".

For the record, Nightcrawler is shown in dozens of books to be able to chain-blink to catch up to speeding vehicles. He just bamfs to an arbitrary spot in the sky at max range, steadies himself mid-air, rinse, repeat. This is exhausting physically so he can't fake-fly or whatever, but he's caught up with speeding trains and helicopters before, but that's all moot when you really just stop and remember that Xavier's psychokinetic abilities dwarfed Jean Grey's until the mid-late 90's decided that she was basically a walking physics engine. He could have easily just frozen the plane in mid loving air, but he never uses his powers for 'reasons' because they honestly made him too strong for too long and you kind of have to forget he is there for a lot of his scenes to make sense.

~ :goonsay:

EDIT FOR RELEVANCE:
I thought Daredevil S2 should have just been about the Punisher, Elektra seemed to be made of wood and the army of ninjas was just so loving stupid after the grounded mafia crime syndicates of S1, Luke Cage jumps the shark hard when Diamondback shows up (a goon here posted that Cottonmouth's death also sparked the loss of the club and its musical backdrop, which robbed the show of a lot of its black atmosphere and character, which I 100% agree with) and I know this isn't as popular but Jessica Jones just utterly failed to grab my attention at all. I understand that it spoke to a lot of people and got great reviews for the most part, but I just thought the whole thing was so melodramatic from the word go that I never really bought that she was a badass, and only made it to like Episode 4 before my girlfriend finished it without me. The Iron Fist sucking out of the gate is lame, but I was totally unfamilar with the comics and it always sounded really, really dumb, like so dumb that it stood out as especially dumb compared to, say, the blind-streetfighting ninja boxer/lawyer.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

EDIT FOR RELEVANCE:
I thought Daredevil S2 should have just been about the Punisher, Elektra seemed to be made of wood and the army of ninjas was just so loving stupid after the grounded mafia crime syndicates of S1, Luke Cage jumps the shark hard when Diamondback shows up (a goon here posted that Cottonmouth's death also sparked the loss of the club and its musical backdrop, which robbed the show of a lot of its black atmosphere and character, which I 100% agree with) and I know this isn't as popular but Jessica Jones just utterly failed to grab my attention at all. I understand that it spoke to a lot of people and got great reviews for the most part, but I just thought the whole thing was so melodramatic from the word go that I never really bought that she was a badass, and only made it to like Episode 4 before my girlfriend finished it without me. The Iron Fist sucking out of the gate is lame, but I was totally unfamilar with the comics and it always sounded really, really dumb, like so dumb that it stood out as especially dumb compared to, say, the blind-streetfighting ninja boxer/lawyer.

I don't know anything about Xmen, but this I can agree with, though I think JJ made it to 7 or 8 before the writers' room ran out of ideas.