Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Sayaka is possibly the best healer in the game, with an eventual 4-tile healing radius and bonuses to HP recovered. This series needs MAP healing something fierce, though, and Fire Bomber doesn't count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I just gave Female Main the 2 range heal skill. She is already a right bastard to hit. So now she can support attack, heal, and just generally be a Gamellon wrecking pain. :getin:

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Wrapped my first playthrough tonight, really enjoyed my time with it. Went with Chitose and the power upgrade, ended up on the true ending path pretty easily, and loved how it worked out. Mostly stuck to UC Gundam route splits, and very much liked what they did with their Londo Bell/Gundam Unicorn plotline.

Mission 50 against the physical manifestation of gross misogynist creepers and his robot army was a great crossover payoff for the Cross Ange stuff - for all that that series is a monkey's paw of lovely fanservice and weird sex stuff, Embryo is a truly loathsome villain. Having the entire female cast go in on him was very good. Full Frontal showing up in the Neo Zeong to help you fight him and Leonard to sort of cap off his redemption arc was great, too.

Mission 51 against Black Noir and Emperor of Darkness, however, didn't hit for me at all. Honestly, very little of the Might Gaine stuff did, outside of being mildly amused by his idiotic foes. Definitely not the first time I've bounced off a Brave-series show, monster of the day GGG doesn't do it for me either. Bringing an army of AIs to the table to help flesh out Nine's plot line was definitely good, though. Just sad that its big payoff moment didn't even measure up to previous games' implementation of GGG's ZA POWAH, let alone the stuff from GGG Final.

And that last mission honestly impressed me in ways that SRW final stages rarely do. I initially made the mistake of killing the Gardim boss ship on the enemy turn, and let me tell you, that is not the way to do that! Unless the full complement of Arcadias with their three actions per turn (which could be a high-accuracy MAP) getting first crack at your team sounds like a fun challenge, I guess. The power-up moment and accompanying JAM Project song was definitely fairly orthodox, but they did it well, and few things in this game are better than getting to use the Wave Motion Gun in actual gameplay. Having the usual HP sponge boss split across a dozen identical enemies was a cool twist on the traditional formula, and gave the non-ridiculously overpowered members of my army a chance to contribute more meaningfully than they otherwise would have. I don't know that they can go for that trick again, but at least it shows that they're putting in the work to change things up.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Someone's compiled 52 of Nine's Ace Pilot interviews on Youtube

Shinji interview
Tessa interview
Allelujah interview
Salia interview
Shin, with Lunamaria right after

S.D. fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 9, 2017

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I would just like to say that I am very happy with the ridiculous amount of love the series has given to Shin Mazinger and how every time it shows up after its initial appearance we get new goodies that didn't appear in the show.

Z3: We get a post-plot involving the Mycenae gods, Hades as a recurring boss, and Zeus as a playable.
BX: Boss fight against the Great General of Darkness, the Dynamic Combination of Mazinger and SKL.
V: Mazin Emperor G, folding in Mazinger ZERO as a playable, Emperor of Darkness as a boss, easily amongst the best animations in the entire game

Also Akabane has done great work in both the show and SRW. I could listen to him shout Photon Beam and Big Bang Punch all day.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I'm really sad we didn't get any kind of Final Dynamic Special here, or even any combo to speak of between any of the Mazingers. Maybe if there is a V2, Grendizer Giga could be a thing to facilitate it...

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Gyra_Solune posted:

I'm really sad we didn't get any kind of Final Dynamic Special here, or even any combo to speak of between any of the Mazingers. Maybe if there is a V2, Grendizer Giga could be a thing to facilitate it...

I'm still salty that we didn't get an Obari Special combo attack with the Gravions and Dancougas in the Z series.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gyra_Solune posted:

I'd love to see some cross series and cross robot type combo attacks. Just supers and reals hitting poo poo together.

The first thing that jumps to mind is the SKL boys and Setsuna doing some crazy teleporting stuff. Ending of course in "Ore tachi ga, gandamu da!"

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Gyra_Solune posted:

Giga could be a way to add Cutey Honey to the FDS as well. Remember, Hatsune Miku happened, so anything can happen.

Seeing Ruri and Nine next to each other is a weird object lesson in anime art evolution.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 9, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

HitTheTargets posted:

Giga could be a way to add Cutey Honey to the FDS as well. Remember, Hatsune Miku happened, so anything can happen.

Seeing Ruri and Nine next to each other is a weird object lesson in anime art evolution.

Similar reason why they should add Mazinger Angels in some day

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

HitTheTargets posted:

you have to at least be pretending to have the trappings of a giant robot show, Tekkaman Blade and Orgun happened because you could believe they were robots if nobody told you otherwise and they hit the same plot beats, Miku happened because it was Virtual On, Yamato happened because battleships are in goddamn every show and I have no idea why since they never have significant merchandise

people that look wholly human are allowed but not as the main character, more or less. only examples I can even think of as side units are that dude from Linebarrels, I think Renais at one point in W, I think one of those Macross 7 space elf people, Fighter Roar going space-surfing, and...does Muge Zorbados count

KoB
May 1, 2009

Gyra_Solune posted:

you have to at least be pretending to have the trappings of a giant robot show, Tekkaman Blade and Orgun happened because you could believe they were robots if nobody told you otherwise and they hit the same plot beats, Miku happened because it was Virtual On, Yamato happened because battleships are in goddamn every show and I have no idea why since they never have significant merchandise

people that look wholly human are allowed but not as the main character, more or less. only examples I can even think of as side units are that dude from Linebarrels, I think Renais at one point in W, I think one of those Macross 7 space elf people, Fighter Roar going space-surfing, and...does Muge Zorbados count

Master Asia.
L or K or whatever had Iczer

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Gyra_Solune posted:

Iczer?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
As side units: Alberto the Shockwave in Alpha. Domon (and I think Allenby) made one-shot on-foot appearances in SRW 64 along with Alberto and Master Asia, too - they have 200 HP.

There's also what's-her-face from Dendoh on the bike in MX; she's not on foot as such (because she is riding a motorbike), but she does jump off to attack.

Edit: 220 HP in SRW64. Close enough.

Prism fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 10, 2017

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Just beat it for the first time! Top aces were Chitose, Sousuke, Okita, Ryoma, and Ange; Ryoma is up there almost entirely due to the last stage, since I used a combination of Multi Action, Zeal, Prospect and Resupply to take out most of the enemies with him after softening them up with some MAPs. Got the true ending choice and went that way, which ended up being a good decision since you get Frontal that way and they're pretty useful for the final battle.

I think on the whole the enemy HP balance was on point for this game, there were very few enemies in ?????? territory and those instances really earned it and made them feel special.

All in all V is definitely in my upper tier of SRW games, it's definitely on the easy side but that's kind of hard to avoid with all the different interlocking subsystems. The crossover elements were really great, for regular and post-series inclusions alike. An orthodox Tokyo-style ramen Super Robot Wars indeed. I'm interested to see whether they try a sequel or whether they do another new stand-alone; I sort of hope they do the latter because there's not a whole lot that really went unanswered from this one except for Evangelion stuff, only because the movies aren't all done yet so they can't actually finish it. Also it's not quite like Z, where it's established there's a big multiverse out there; V's parallel dimensions were pretty limited and intertwined and there doesn't seem to be a lot of room to crowbar in a fourth Earth for a sequel.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Gyra_Solune posted:

drrockso20 posted:

Similar reason why they should add Mazinger Angels in some day

These posts solve themselves. Cutey Honey had a giant Cutey Honey robot in Mazinger Angels.

As always when we start talking about this concept in the thread, I say bring on the ladies only* SRW taking place in a setting based on post-series Godannar. The men can't pilot anymore, they'll get the "was too much of a hotblood super robot pilot" disease if they do!!

*actually you could totally still have like Ryoma refusing to stop piloting a Getter or whatever and maybe have some kind of system that lets you use dudes a certain number of times before succumbing to rabid syndrome. Perhaps even turning them into enemies! Could be neat.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 10, 2017

KoB
May 1, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

These posts solve themselves. Cutey Honey had a giant Cutey Honey robot in Mazinger Angels.

As always when we start talking about this concept in the thread, I say bring on the ladies only* SRW taking place in a setting based on post-series Godannar. The men can't pilot anymore, they'll get the "was too much of a hotblood super robot pilot" disease if they do!!

*actually you could totally still have like Ryoma refusing to stop piloting a Getter or whatever and maybe have some kind of system that lets you use dudes a certain number of times before succumbing to rabid syndrome. Perhaps even turning them into enemies! Could be neat.

only if we get a bunch of cool ladies hitting on Ryoma and he doesnt know what to do

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
The surprise series debut in X-O is Infinite Ryvius.

I think we're up to like 7 series now delegated to Gacha Hell.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there's no by-law saying none of those shows can never appear in srw proper. heck, if anything, the fact that they're already in the gacha game and thus probably have at least most of the rights and stuff worked out makes them more likely.

you're never getting xenoglossia tho

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Are they gonna announce a new game tho

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Are they gonna announce a new game tho
They're like doing the whole "play a whole bunch of animation footage from the games" except themed around the voice actor guests so I think it's really unlikely.

I mean, it's still too early - V's barely been out a couple weeks.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I'm not sure why exactly they're going out of the way to prove that their gacha game is a badly balanced Pay2Win cashgrab, but whatever. The discussion about what could have ended up becoming Shin SRW2 is actually kinda neat.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Caphi posted:

Elsha can also repair so as a Cross Ange she's largely obviated by Tusk but if you really want an early dedicated healer I guess she's better than Guard Diver because she's faster and can fly (Diver's a much better fighter though).

The most important bit about Guard Diver is he has an Inazuma Kick with a drill for a foot. I love those rowdy boys.

Edit: I do really like all of the OGs moves being named after battleships. Its from a world where they named the big space ship after the Yamato, makes perfect sense.

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 10, 2017

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'd really like to see Gurren Lagann make a return in the V series, with upgraded animations maybe. V kind of feels like the Super Robot Extravaganza so what's one more apocalyptically powerful robot?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Only if I can have Elder God Demonbane. As a unit or as a final boss, I don't care.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
HD Gravions mean HD Sandman and there is nothing more majestic than that.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Light Gun Man posted:

I think you could squeeze in some male pilots if they're cyborgs like Jeeg or Gaogaigar for sure, then maybe make up rules like "Newtypes don't count. Here's all the Gundam." :shrug:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
What was the excuse in K? I didn't play past, like, mission 14. Either the first or second time you fight the Rose Sisters.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!

Levantine posted:

I'd really like to see Gurren Lagann make a return in the V series, with upgraded animations maybe. V kind of feels like the Super Robot Extravaganza so what's one more apocalyptically powerful robot?

Gunbuster again please.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ZuljinRaynor posted:

Gunbuster again please.
Do it properly right from the start.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Do it properly right from the start.

Yeah, just go ahead and add the supers from Z, do them up big and call it a day.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FYI, the conditions for Black Might Gaine seem to be for the mightgaine crew to have 60 kills between them by the end of the first route split.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

ZuljinRaynor posted:

Gunbuster again please.

Gunbuster always if you ask me.

And a Getters/Gunbuster/Gurren Lagaan combo attack where everyone crosses their arms.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Code Geass and Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans crossover. I want to see Zero and McGills interact with one another.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Mika and chiciro. Double shutupalready pistol to the cockpit.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

NutritiousSnack posted:

Code Geass and Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans crossover. I want to see Zero and McGills interact with one another.

Zero and Kallen or Orga and Mika; who has the scariest attack dog?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Just put Code Geass, Valvrave, and Gundam SEED (not Destiny) in the same game Banpresto tia.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ryoga posted:

Zero and Kallen or Orga and Mika; who has the scariest attack dog?

"Orga... can we install a radiation wave claw on Barbatos?"

And then ALL the war crimes were committed.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Kallen eventually betrays zero. Mika is so loyal he blames himself for not killing fast enough that made his boss a liar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
G-Reco, with Bellri the Butcher and Klim Nick the Genius.

The series would work very well with original series Eureka Seven, Xabungle, Turn-A and all the other Alpha-Gaiden shows.

• Locked thread