Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mahoning posted:

Just found another benefit to the Switch. We had like 50 mph winds here today and after work I was playing BotW and the power went out. I just grabbed it right out of the dock and kept playing.

West Michigan? My power didn't go out. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

ChocNitty posted:

The Wii U looked like the original Wii, and had almost the same name. Shoppers assumed it was just an updated Wii and passed on it. Informed gamers didnt buy it because it didnt have a killer app. Avid gamers passed on it when they learned that the tablet controller with the big screen was a cocktease. The switch is a correction of all those mistakes, and it's what gamers wanted the Wii U to be.

Historically, many consoles that launched with a killer app went on to have great runs. Atari and Pong. Super Mario and NES, Sonic and Genesis, Super Mario 64 and N64, Soul Calibur and Dreamcast (Dont start with me), Halo and Xbox, Wii Sports and Wii, now Breath Of The Wild and Switch.

I appaud Nintendo for having the nuts to try new things. Even when they fail miserably, like the virtual boy, they have a good cry, listen to some Fleetwood Mac, and they pick up the pieces and continue on and redeem the poo poo out of themselves and make a hit product like the DS Lite and Wii. They hosed up with the Wii U, and now they are redeeming themselves again.

The key to its success is for Nintendo to get games that take advantage of the hybrid design. The fact that a handheld can transform into a stationary display with 2 gamepads is so loving cool. People are going to have LAN matches on planes.

You mean Altered Beast and Genesis.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

Someone make a version of that CTRL-ALT-DEL where the guy's wife is clutching a WiiU tablet instead of her abdomen

Your post reminded me of B^U's ongoing Console War storyline, so I went and checked out where it's at.

Buckley has loving nothing to say about video games.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Did the switch pause in power out scenario? I doubt it but that would be cool

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Consummate Professional posted:

Did the switch pause in power out scenario? I doubt it but that would be cool

When I picked it up out of the dock it was locked. I had to hit the same button 3 times. So yeah, it paused.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

oddium posted:

just wanted to let you know you weren't losing it

you might want to sit down for this though :(

Actually the frame rate in portable mode is good. Docked mode is the real clunker

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Mahoning posted:

When I picked it up out of the dock it was locked. I had to hit the same button 3 times. So yeah, it paused.

drat that's cool

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

El Burbo posted:

Actually the frame rate in portable mode is good. Docked mode is the real clunker

Which is a real problem that no one seems to ever point out

The whole point of this gimmick switch thing is that it docks and gets a boost in specs to better support a tv screen instead of a small tablet

Except that even nintendo themselves couldnt figure out how to make a small res bump from 720p to 900p work without the framerate stuttering at sub-30 fps

It's the same dumb stuff that made the ps4 pro a joke at release where the ENHANCED versions of games were shittier than the old ones

What's even the point of having 2 sets of specs if there's no real difference between them? When the more powerful version is actually a shittier experience?

But I'm expecting the switchsquad to roll in and tell me that sub-30 fps stuttering is only a problem for the turbonerds and 15fps is all everyone needs

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

koolkal posted:

The whole point of this gimmick switch thing is that it docks and gets a boost in specs to better support a tv screen instead of a small tablet

Except that even nintendo themselves couldnt figure out how to make a small res bump from 720p to 900p work without the framerate stuttering at sub-30 fps

It's the same dumb stuff that made the ps4 pro a joke at release where the ENHANCED versions of games were shittier than the old ones

What's even the point of having 2 sets of specs if there's no real difference between them? When the more powerful version is actually a shittier experience?

But I'm expecting the switchsquad to roll in and tell me that sub-30 fps stuttering is only a problem for the turbonerds and 15fps is all everyone needs

they should have done 720p checkerboarded up to 1080

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

koolkal posted:

Lots of people have been pointing it out. It's been mentioned in nearly every review, and users are talking about the fact that the game plays better in handheld mode.

koolkal posted:

You guys are really hoping to get some mileage out of this strawman. People get that low framerate is a failing, it's just that they're not howling about it enough to satiate the dipshits who've tied their identity to the Switch failing.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 9, 2017

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

koolkal posted:

Mario kart and splatoon will work at 1080p cause the drat Wii u managed to do it, this silly thing will no problem. Zelda should have probably stayed 720p docked but then people would have had melt downs about it being "too low res". Or least give people the option.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Anyone here get Shovel Knight? How does it play with the joycons?

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe
Has anyone had an issue with the L Joy-Con becoming kind of loose in the grip? It's JUST loose enough to kind of mess with me, especially if I'm pushing up and down on the stick.

Always fuckin' problems with the L Joy-Con, Nintendo :argh:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hace posted:

Anyone here get Shovel Knight? How does it play with the joycons?

Very well.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

FireMrshlBill posted:

So is Blaster Master dropping at midnight eastern or midnight PT or sometime tomorrow afternoon?

It's gonna drop the moment you gotta clock in for work. Sorry bro. :(

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Infinitum posted:

Very well.

Awesome, probably gonna get that then

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Anyone else's joycons a bit wiggly in handheld mode? I noticed a very slight shifting in mine, did some poking and it turns out the bottom of the plastic rail on my left joycon wiggles a bit. It's very slight but if I'm shifting the console in my hands I can sometimes feel it and it makes a slight creaking. The right joycon also wiggles but it's barely noticeable unless I'm actively trying to detect it.

Is this normal? Did I loosen it? I've held the Switch in one hand now and then when checking my phone or having a drink, but I don't think I was putting too much pressure on that joycon.

pliable posted:

Has anyone had an issue with the L Joy-Con becoming kind of loose in the grip? It's JUST loose enough to kind of mess with me, especially if I'm pushing up and down on the stick.

Always fuckin' problems with the L Joy-Con, Nintendo :argh:

Omg I was typing my post about this exact thing :argh:

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 9, 2017

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

LethalGeek posted:

Mario kart and splatoon will work at 1080p cause the drat Wii u managed to do it, this silly thing will no problem. Zelda should have probably stayed 720p docked but then people would have had melt downs about it being "too low res". Or least give people the option.

Saying the wii u can do 1080p is meaningless because resolution and framerate aren't just independent variables, they're tied to levels of detail in-game as well. Nintendo could have made zelda 1080p60fps if they had been willing to dial back some of the details and effects in-game. But they didn't. They chose to release a stuttering sub-30 fps game to chase the 900p target that was an xbone meme circa 2013

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

1-2 switch is best bought used, right? 50 bucks seems like a lot for a wii sports type game

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

koolkal posted:

Saying the wii u can do 1080p is meaningless because resolution and framerate aren't just independent variables, they're tied to levels of detail in-game as well. Nintendo could have made zelda 1080p60fps if they had been willing to dial back some of the details and effects in-game. But they didn't. They chose to release a stuttering sub-30 fps game to chase the 900p target that was an xbone meme circa 2013

Yeah that's cool, but have you considered that the switch is good?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

I like the switch and I bet they just dicked up some optimization? Oh well maybe it can be patched.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Kashuno posted:

The Wii U unironically loving sucked and a couple amazing games (that did sell consoles) wasn't gonna fix the inherent issues of the trash machine. I've owned every Nintendo console (Wii and Wii U were both gifts) but if I didn't get the Wii U as a gift I would've probably skipped it entirely. At least the Switch is actually good? Like, literally when the Wii U came out reviews were like "this gimmick is pretty stupid" at least with the Switch a lot of those same sites are like "This gimmick is actually pretty cool!"

Even after 4 years I still dont understand what the Wii U gimmick is. What the gently caress is that tablet for

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the tablet was good for pikmin 3

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

oddium posted:

the tablet was good for pikmin 3

The tablet was good for Splatoon as well. I'm seriously hoping some company puts out a board with the same layout by the time Splatoon 2 rolls around. I don't need a screen, just the thumbstick and button layout.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

1-2 switch is best bought used, right? 50 bucks seems like a lot for a wii sports type game

It is best not bought at all. More than $10 is a rip off. errr... I mean I will ship you my copy for $40...

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

Anyone else's joycons a bit wiggly in handheld mode? I noticed a very slight shifting in mine, did some poking and it turns out the bottom of the plastic rail on my left joycon wiggles a bit. It's very slight but if I'm shifting the console in my hands I can sometimes feel it and it makes a slight creaking. The right joycon also wiggles but it's barely noticeable unless I'm actively trying to detect it.

Is this normal? Did I loosen it? I've held the Switch in one hand now and then when checking my phone or having a drink, but I don't think I was putting too much pressure on that joycon.

I haven't had personal experience, but there are numerous videos where this happened to people. From what I read it is a joycon issue since using a new set of joycons made it go away for those with access to a second set. Some were always wobbly, some became wobbly after use.

this worries me, so if I need to one-hand the switch I hold the tablet part at the top and the bottom instead of one joycon

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Oh bummer. Is there an e shop game I can play with my girlfriend so she doesn't think I'm excluding her?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tender Bender posted:

did you put the straps on the joycons at some point? maybe the wrong way? someone said they broke some little nubs off their joycons doing that that made them wobbble

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/AllGamesDelta/status/838133466193661952

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Oh bummer. Is there an e shop game I can play with my girlfriend so she doesn't think I'm excluding her?

Snipperclips, 100%. My wife only plays Mario Party, occasionally Kart or N64 tetris games with me, and she enjoys snipperclips a lot and thought 1 2 Switch was stupid (except for the dice game).

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

SNIPPERCLIPS looks really good and is coop

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe

Tender Bender posted:

BEAT U MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!!!!!

But for reals, it doesn't seem like the rail is loose on my Joy-Con, fortunately. I really don't know what happened. It's not a HUGE deal, but it seems like it could get worse over time.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Breath of the Wild is very ambitious and its framerate problems shouldn't be reflective of how most games will play on the Switch

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Spellman posted:

Breath of the Wild is very ambitious and its framerate problems shouldn't be reflective of how most games will play on the Switch

It's, apparently, already running on the CeMU emulator. Well the WiiU version is anyway. So give it some time and I reckon you'll see 1080p 60FPS BotW running on high end pcs.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It's also technically a Wii U port and probably not as perfectly optimized for the system as it could be

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Aside from being ambitious it was ported to a completely different architecture late in its lifecycle. Other games they are porting have received greater framerate and resolution bumps.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I imagine the framerate problems BOTW has at higher resolutions are more due to, like, the fact it's a huge game that's doing a lot at once than Nintendo being unable to figure anything out.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

babypolis posted:

Even after 4 years I still dont understand what the Wii U gimmick is. What the gently caress is that tablet for

The tablet was brilliant for people who had partners that wanted to watch other things on the main TV whilst they played some Mario Kart or whatnot. It was awesome and I'm glad the Switch inherited some of the same DNA, instead of just being another PS4/Xbox clone console.

Hell, the internet just dropped at my work for about 20 minutes and it was awesome just to say "gently caress it" and play Zelda for the interim.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

babypolis posted:

Not playing on the TV. Rip TVii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

InFlames235 posted:

Just stop being cheap asses and order this case before they go 2 months out on orders:

https://www.sfbags.com/products/nintendo-switch-cityslicker-case

Best quality you're gonna find.

Looks sick!! Way shway

• Locked thread