Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is Thyferra pronounced like Thai Ferra, or like Thy Ferra? This is more confusing than when I thought Tycho's last name was pronounced Kelchoo.
The audiobooks say Thy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Rouge Squadron (the game, that is) also used Thy

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Angry_Ed posted:

Rouge Squadron (the game, that is) also used Thy

Empire at War used Thai, IIRC.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Empire at War had some strange pronunciations of other things, though. The one that comes to mind immediately was that it said "Saleucami" as "Sal-yoo-kommi" rather than the "Sa-luke-amai" that got used in ROTS.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I really wish the ground portion of that game without mods wasn't slow poorly animated frustrating rubbish to play. It really was a nice idea, maybe they should give it a try again?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Speaking of Empire at War, I just downloaded Thrawn's Revenge. I absolutely love it.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
That's what the Death Star 2 is for. gently caress ground battles forever and just fight space battles all the time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Chairman Capone posted:

Empire at War had some strange pronunciations of other things, though. The one that comes to mind immediately was that it said "Saleucami" as "Sal-yoo-kommi" rather than the "Sa-luke-amai" that got used in ROTS.

The Clone Wars also had its own pronunciation. Salooko-my.

Also while I'm certain Thrawns Revenge is the superior mod, I still have a soft spot for absolute corruption 2.4. Worth it to have an army of Dark Troopers and AT AT mk2s March across a map.

What happened to that monstrously big EAW mod that made every ship to exact scale and had a campaign map so unreasonably big that it took thirty seconds to pan from one planet to the next?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The little pause Luke does at the end of Empire before Hamill remembers how to pronounce Tatooine is still the funniest.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Clone Wars also had its own pronunciation. Salooko-my.

Also while I'm certain Thrawns Revenge is the superior mod, I still have a soft spot for absolute corruption 2.4. Worth it to have an army of Dark Troopers and AT AT mk2s March across a map.

What happened to that monstrously big EAW mod that made every ship to exact scale and had a campaign map so unreasonably big that it took thirty seconds to pan from one planet to the next?

My only complaint about Thrawn's Revenge is that it doesn't have enough planets! The largest galactic conquest campaign is the Thrawn one with 57 planets...and you lose a lot of planets from the original game. I wanted a map that had like 80 planets and would take me forever to play.

Oh well. Still fun as hell re-enacting the Thrawn trilogy and building up my forces at Bilbringi.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Remembered the name of the mod. It was phoenix rising.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Remembered the name of the mod. It was phoenix rising.

Ah that one, It was very ambitious. It was determined to bring the correct number or laser and turbo laser cannons to the heavier ships in space and make land battles realistic as possible.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i would like them to make eaw good before they made it realistic

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In the movies et al. they pronounce "Coruscant" as sort of like "Corus-sant", right? However, there's an interview Tim Zahn did where he explained that when he came up with the word, he imagined it as sounding more like an adjective, and he'd always pronounced it "Co-RUS-cant". I thought that was interesting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jake Lloyd must have been an EU fan when he first read the script for phantom menace.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

In the movies et al. they pronounce "Coruscant" as sort of like "Corus-sant", right? However, there's an interview Tim Zahn did where he explained that when he came up with the word, he imagined it as sounding more like an adjective, and he'd always pronounced it "Co-RUS-cant". I thought that was interesting.

In the audio books for the Bantam books that came out in the 90s, it was always pronounced "Cor-RUS-kant," with a hard second C like the actual adjective is, and it was only after TPM came out that everyone shifted to the soft-C that Lucas apparently preferred.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just finished Empire's end. I didn't like the conclusion with Sloane.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
A bit late but I've found Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion (with the Galactic Empire mod http://www.moddb.com/mods/sins-of-a-galactic-empire ) to be a perfect successor to Empire at War. No ground combat though.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
No ground combat seems like it would be an improvement over Empire at War :v:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It has always puzzled me, ground combat was slow and really clunky but some of the guys behind Empire At War worked on the Command & Conquer games?

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
I'm working my way through the star wars books.

Currently I'm in the middle of "Lost Stars" and I desperate need to find the thread dedicated to complaining about Star Wars books.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Catberry posted:

Currently I'm in the middle of "Lost Stars" and I desperate need to find the thread dedicated to complaining about Star Wars books.

We had two in the book barn, you need archives though.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Catberry posted:

...I think you're in that thread.

SeanBeansShako posted:

We had two in the book barn, you need archives though.

Oh, the Let's Read threads? Yeah, though it's not like you can make new posts. We complain about Star Wars books in here all the time.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

All five of them!

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
The OP says no complaining about star wars.

quote:

He strutted in front of them as he
announced, "As of today, the Death Star is fully operational— and it is the will of the
Emperor that we demonstrate its power to the entire galaxy!"

A few cheers went up from the group. Thane clapped a couple of times. He guessed
they were going to bring the station close enough to planetary orbit for the populace
to see it; that would wow anyone. He'd felt the main engines at work, so obviously the
station had traveled somewhere important, maybe Coruscant....

The docking bay doors slid open. Although Thane fully understood the force fields
that kept atmosphere in and the hostile chill of space out, he still felt a moment's awe
when he looked out on the vast darkness beyond. Slowly, as the door opened, a world
appeared. The soft blue sphere seemed to shine with its own light, and as always
Thane thought about how beautiful and yet fragile planets looked from that distance.

"Behold the planet Alderaan," the commander said.

Nash's home! Thane couldn't help grinning. What luck to be near that world while
the Devastator was visiting the station. How many times had Nash promised to show
Thane all the sights? It had seemed like no more than a dream, but now Thane might
actually get to take a look at Alderaan for himself if he could wrangle the free time. He
found himself remembering every story Nash had told him about the best places to go,

the incredible natural beauty his world was said to contain. Where should we go first?
Cloudshape Falls? The Isatabith rain forest?

Help me out guys. I can't not complain.

Catberry fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 9, 2017

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Really the OP meant nerds bitching about what they liked and hated about the old EU rather than awkwardly written prose. Go nuts.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SeanBeansShako posted:

Really the OP meant nerds bitching about what they liked and hated about the old EU rather than awkwardly written prose. Go nuts.

We do a lot of that as well, of course.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

We do a lot of that as well, of course.

But mostly in good humour.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
What's EU?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Catberry posted:

What's EU?

European Union, duh.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

SeanBeansShako posted:

European Union, duh.
Does that make the UK Legends? :v:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Lord Hydronium posted:

Does that make the UK Legends? :v:

Pretty much yeah. The dumb political poo poo in the LOTF is more or less happening now.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

SeanBeansShako posted:

European Union, duh.

Okay. Who were those guys who made the clone army in the first place and how much money did they pay Jango Fett?

I mean these guys created the greatest army that ever existed just on order. Why didn't they just make the army twice as big and take over the world? What happened to them after the clone wars? Did they also create all the weapons and equipment for the clones or did the Federation already have that?

The aliens who created the largest army that ever existed said that Jango Fett's fee was "considerable" and that gives quite a perspective, But Jango Fett is still flying around bounty hunting. He then dies unceremoniously defending Dooku in an unwinnable fight against an army of Jedis.

If the cloners considered his fee to be "considerable" in the context of "These guys made the largest army ever and then just sold it" How much money did he get? What did he do with it all and why didn't he just peace out when things got hot for Dooku? He should have had enough money to buy his own planet at least.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I note that the first teaser for The Last Jedi has been shown, but only to a meeting of Disney shareholders and some journalists at the moment.

I wanted to make some kind of joke about how it probably ends with the words, "I'm Bob Iger, and I'm running for president," but couldn't think of one. :(

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The Kaminoans were contacted at some point by a dude named Sifo-Dyas who left the Jedi because they were sitting around not doing anything. He wanted them to make an army to fight a war he'd foreseen. Sidious arranged his death, and when Dooku became his apprentice, Tyrannus oversaw the rest of the process, as part of Sidious' plan to form an army to take over the galaxy.

The exact size of the armies is extremely vague for narrative purposes, but my pet theory is that the Clone Wars weren't as galaxy-encompassing as people thought they were and most of the fighting took place where Sidious and Dooku arranged for the maximum 'shock value', so people would give Palpatine more and more emergency powers. The battle at the opening of ROTS is a super obvious example, because it's the Star Wars equivalent of Iraq invading Washington and kidnapping the President. The short answer is "there were enough clones, but only just".

The Kaminoans themselves are a bunch of amoral weirdos. There's some Legends stuff about there being a rebellion against the Empire, but canonically it seems like they stopped production and went back to whatever else they were doing beforehand.

Jango Fett didn't really get much of an opportunity to change his mind between successfully fighting and killing Jedi and getting owned like a chump by Mace Windu. From what I can gather, he enjoyed his line of work, and his son seemed to like it too, so he didn't really have a reason to stop. Mostly his death is to demonstrate that Fetts have a history of dying in uncool and stupid ways.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Seriously, the Sifo-Diyas thing is so stupid because it could have easily been "Sidious" but then nope! Diyas was an actual Jedi!

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

ungulateman posted:

The Kaminoans were contacted at some point by a dude named Sifo-Dyas who left the Jedi because they were sitting around not doing anything. He wanted them to make an army to fight a war he'd foreseen. Sidious arranged his death, and when Dooku became his apprentice, Tyrannus oversaw the rest of the process, as part of Sidious' plan to form an army to take over the galaxy.

The exact size of the armies is extremely vague for narrative purposes, but my pet theory is that the Clone Wars weren't as galaxy-encompassing as people thought they were and most of the fighting took place where Sidious and Dooku arranged for the maximum 'shock value', so people would give Palpatine more and more emergency powers. The battle at the opening of ROTS is a super obvious example, because it's the Star Wars equivalent of Iraq invading Washington and kidnapping the President. The short answer is "there were enough clones, but only just".

The Kaminoans themselves are a bunch of amoral weirdos. There's some Legends stuff about there being a rebellion against the Empire, but canonically it seems like they stopped production and went back to whatever else they were doing beforehand.

Jango Fett didn't really get much of an opportunity to change his mind between successfully fighting and killing Jedi and getting owned like a chump by Mace Windu. From what I can gather, he enjoyed his line of work, and his son seemed to like it too, so he didn't really have a reason to stop. Mostly his death is to demonstrate that Fetts have a history of dying in uncool and stupid ways.

Lucas doesn't understand scale, and the none of the numbers in the clone war make any sort of sense. Best not to think about it at all.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Jango got a ton of money and squirreled all of it away for Boba I believe.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

pubic works project posted:

Jango got a ton of money and squirreled all of it away for Boba I believe.

iirc Boba also lost a lot of that cash during the young adult series, when a Clawdite screwed him over on Aargau.
Those actually weren't that bad for YA novels.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Arcsquad12 posted:

Seriously, the Sifo-Diyas thing is so stupid because it could have easily been "Sidious" but then nope! Diyas was an actual Jedi!

Real talk, the first draft had the character named 'Sido-Dyas' and was just Sidious in disguise, but Lucas decided that made the Jedi look too stupid. I preferred that version too but I can see it really stretching people's sense of disbelief that Sidious would be that unsubtle and the Jedi couldn't figure it out.

i81icu812 posted:

Lucas doesn't understand scale, and the none of the numbers in the clone war make any sort of sense. Best not to think about it at all.

we're talking about 'twelve parsec kessel run' 'point five past lightspeed' star wars here, i don't think 'understanding scale' was on the list of Important Star Wars Things for anyone, especially not Lucas

in fact, a lack of specificity produced six seasons of a pretty good kid's show and a good chunk of the old EU, so i take it as a positive rather than a negative