Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Somfin posted:

Publishers are notoriously cagey about giving good marketing to games with non-white or non-male protagonists. This leads to the games having poor sales, which the publishers are free to blame on the protagonist, which feeds back into the cycle. Thankfully the overwhelming success of games like Undertale and Overwatch may have eased this a bit, as has the wild advocacy that non-traditional protagonists get in the fan press.

That's why I was pretty happy about mafia 3 and bfone this year, even though bfone then decided to have only one mission with a black company which was the tutorial during which they all died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Somfin posted:

Publishers are notoriously cagey about giving good marketing to games with non-white or non-male protagonists. This leads to the games having poor sales, which the publishers are free to blame on the protagonist, which feeds back into the cycle. Thankfully the overwhelming success of games like Undertale and Overwatch may have eased this a bit, as has the wild advocacy that non-traditional protagonists get in the fan press.
Even games with white male protagonists can be put under pressure to not focus on female characters on the box art.

http://www.polygon.com/2012/12/12/3758170/the-last-of-us-developer-refused-to-push-female-lead-to-back-of-cover
"I believe there's a misconception that if you put a girl or a woman on the cover, the game will sell less," he said. "I know I've been in discussions where we've been asked to push Ellie to the back and everyone at Naughty Dog just flat-out refused."

The box art in question:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Facebook Aunt posted:

I doubt a significant number of people have boycotted a popular game in the genre they like over too much "PC". I imagine a number of people have boycotted games they never would have bought in the first place, because there are some ham-handed piece of poo poo games that try to get people to buy them because they are ethical.

The opposite probably works though. I think a number of people spite-bought that anime boob game some chick tried to get taken off Steam. So telling your white cishet brothers that your game is being oppressed by SJWs might just get you a few more sales.

Yeah gaming boycotts always go well

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Fathis Munk posted:

That's why I was pretty happy about mafia 3 and bfone this year, even though bfone then decided to have only one mission with a black company which was the tutorial during which they all died.
God I wish all of Mafia 3 was as good as the best parts of Mafia 3. There is legitimately some of the best gameplay and story in a modern game inside of Mafia 3 but it's surrounded by very repetitive filler.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Honestly I'm just glad to get a unique setting that Mafia 3 gives. I'll never understand the "Everything and everybody has to be caucasian!" because that just robs us of so many interesting stories and locations. But they probably think putting Matt Damon in ancient China is a natural fit.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

I can't get over this guy's KFC bucket shaped head.

Somfin posted:

Wasn't there a game a while back where the devs wanted to make the protagonist gay, but a kissing scene made the publishers freak out and force them to make the protagonist female or cut the scene?

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Wasn't there a game a while back where the devs wanted to make the protagonist gay, but a kissing scene made the publishers freak out and force them to make the protagonist female or cut the scene?

I don't remember that one, but there was going to be a scene in Remember Me where the female main character kissed a dude, and the publishers made them cut it because it might make gamers feel weird to have the character they control kiss a boy.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Ularg posted:

But they probably think putting Matt Damon in ancient China is a natural fit.

Wasn't that a bid by the Chinese production company to attract western audiences with a big western actor? I mean it's a symptom of the same issues but iirc that's not on western producers for once.

Also someone said he actually plays a Chinese dude, is that true? Because :laffo:

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Fathis Munk posted:

Wasn't that a bid by the Chinese production company to attract western audiences with a big western actor? I mean it's a symptom of the same issues but iirc that's not on western producers for once.

Also someone said he actually plays a Chinese dude, is that true? Because :laffo:

Yeah, it's a Chinese production, and sadly the director is Yimou Zhang, the guy behind great films like Hero and Raise the Red Lantern.

According to IMDB Damon's character is named William, so at least it seems they don't expect people to believe he's Chinese.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Fathis Munk posted:

Pretty sure it's the opposite. China has become a huge market for movies. But China regulation makes it so that if a western movie company wants to release in China they need to be co-created by a chinese company. They introduce Chinese actors to help meet those requirements and appeal themselves to the Chinese audience.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

tyblazitar posted:

Yeah, it's a Chinese production, and sadly the director is Yimou Zhang, the guy behind great films like Hero and Raise the Red Lantern.

According to IMDB Damon's character is named William, so at least it seems they don't expect people to believe he's Chinese.

I think the idea isn't that his character is Chinese, but that the movie is based on an older story where the main character was Chinese. So while the story should have had a Chinese lead, as it is the character is a whitey.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

As someone who watched the movie:

- the movie is predominantly Chinese

- white actors were hired because the draw of a big Hollywood star is attractive to Chinese moviegoers

- Damon does not play a white savior, his character is an rear end in a top hat white imperialist thief who needs to be taught the eastern values of honour and loyalty to rise above himself, etc

- his character helps in saving the day, but the female protagonist / non love interest plays a huge role in that

- it is not based on any Chinese legend or folktale at all

- it is based on the siege of helm s deep, the second Lord of the rings movie, and a lot of mobile moba game setting involving human armies defending against a swarm of monsters

- William defoe is a minor villain to showcase how white people are greedy assholes

- it is directed by Z Y M but it's loving bad, don't watch it

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Ularg posted:

Pretty sure it's the opposite. China has become a huge market for movies. But China regulation makes it so that if a western movie company wants to release in China they need to be co-created by a chinese company. They introduce Chinese actors to help meet those requirements and appeal themselves to the Chinese audience.

this isn't true at all btw. China gets all the Hollywood blockbusters.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Nuebot posted:

It's like they put all the ingredients for a head into an empty can, and stuck it under the broiler for a few minutes, and then turned it upside-down and shloooooop out comes this guy's brand-new head

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

9gag: always outraged at the REAL issues.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
"9gag: We Identify With The Nazis." Is basically what I see every time to make one of those memes with "haha funny german word" in it.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
Whilst it's not PC, you can't really blame companies being hesitant when making decisions to introduce a non-traditional protaganist. What sells, sells. It's a pretty big and unnessary risk to appease people who are not a significant part of the market (think of gerrymandering in politics). The guy who mentioned Undertale made a good point. Your character is undetermined which is a pretty smart choice; and of course any game that allows character creation is great for this freedom of choice.

I think that Force Awakens shows that people don't care too much about having a black protagonist or a female protagonist. There was a small minority of people who made a scene, but not enough to even put a scratch on the film's success. I bet that most of the boycotters eventually watched the film.

Changing the sexuality of the character could have a negative effect because as one other guy said, many gamers may feel a little strange controlling a character that is a homosexual as most gamers are straight males, but I don't think it's down to homophobia, but more so that gamers like to project themselves into the story and the characters to be immersed.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
:laffo: if the only thing you can project yourself in is a carbon copy of yourself but cooler and getting all the girls.

How boring your life must be.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Fathis Munk posted:

:laffo: if the only thing you can project yourself in is a carbon copy of yourself but cooler and getting all the girls.

How boring your life must be.

"No, you see you're all just a bunch of cucked little snowflakes that get so upset"

*The crosswalk sign gets changed to a woman figure*

"WAAAH WHY DO THEY ALWAYS MAKE EVERYTHING NOT ABOUT MEEE?!"

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
People have no problem projecting themselves onto foxes and bandicoots, but a human shaped or colored differently from them is a step too far for gamer imagination.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Manic X posted:

Whilst it's not PC, you can't really blame companies being hesitant when making decisions to introduce a non-traditional protaganist. What sells, sells. It's a pretty big and unnessary risk to appease people who are not a significant part of the market (think of gerrymandering in politics). The guy who mentioned Undertale made a good point. Your character is undetermined which is a pretty smart choice; and of course any game that allows character creation is great for this freedom of choice.

I think that Force Awakens shows that people don't care too much about having a black protagonist or a female protagonist. There was a small minority of people who made a scene, but not enough to even put a scratch on the film's success. I bet that most of the boycotters eventually watched the film.

Changing the sexuality of the character could have a negative effect because as one other guy said, many gamers may feel a little strange controlling a character that is a homosexual as most gamers are straight males, but I don't think it's down to homophobia, but more so that gamers like to project themselves into the story and the characters to be immersed.

Who are the white male in the audience left to identify with? The little white cuckball.

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:
The video game playing crowd is split pretty evenly into women and men; some studies even suggest that women are the slight majority.

This "the average gamer is a (white) (straight) (cis) man" poo poo is getting so old. Someone make it stop already.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

The green crossing Australian lady looks less like she's walking and more trying to hold in a pee.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zephyrine posted:

Didn't he have an American accent? It was pretty awkward with the rest of the cast sounding like SNL doing and Indian deli sketch.

Altair looked exactly or almost exactly like Desmond, and Desmond was given fairly dark skin and ambiguous facial features to make his racial background muddled enough that he could be descended from Syrian, Italian, British, and Native American ancestry all at once.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Huntersoninski posted:

People have no problem projecting themselves onto foxes and bandicoots, but a human shaped or colored differently from them is a step too far for gamer imagination.

A Jungian reading might be that people play themselves as animals which is symbolic of subconscious urges, but playing a human figure involves more development internally.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Snoop Radley posted:

The video game playing crowd is split pretty evenly into women and men; some studies even suggest that women are the slight majority.

This "the average gamer is a (white) (straight) (cis) man" poo poo is getting so old. Someone make it stop already.

Bringing this up inevitably just gets you a 'yeah but women only play Farmville and other Facebook poo poo'.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

I didn't say people had a problem playing as a different race, you've just put your own spin on my words without any valid argument - which is increasingly common these days. I was just pointing out that people will project themselves in the games. Funnily enough, you will find people play games that feel relevant to them or contains an interest to them. Like everyone who played Tony Hawks as a kid wishes they could be a pro skater so they bought the game as a way of trying to do that without the leg work - same with guitar hero.

If you make your game centred around a protagonist that only a minority of people can relate to, then the sales will probably reflect this.

The point about playing as animal like crash bandicoot debunking my opinion can be countered with the interview by naughty dog who said they deliberately left their character mute so players could decide on the character's personality for themselves... my opinion is more centred to games that have a heavy story, games like Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon were more for casual fun and not immersive in the same way. You will have noticed that for the past decade games like that are declining in favor of games with heavier stories and fleshed-out characters (e.g. Naughty Dog referring they wanted to keep making games like Uncharted because they enjoy the characters more, rather than going back to Crash).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Manic X posted:

The point about playing as animal like crash bandicoot debunking my opinion can be countered with the interview by naughty dog who said they deliberately left their character mute so players could decide on the character's personality for themselves... my opinion is more centred to games that have a heavy story, games like Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon were more for casual fun and not immersive in the same way. You will have noticed that for the past decade games like that are declining in favor of games with heavier stories and fleshed-out characters (e.g. Naughty Dog referring they wanted to keep making games like Uncharted because they enjoy the characters more, rather than going back to Crash).

Does that mean we can get a Crash Bandicoot game with the same budget and effort put into it as Uncharted?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

No game allows me to play a Rhino 😭

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Manic X posted:

If you make your game centred around a protagonist that only a minority of people can relate to, then the sales will probably reflect this.

Your argument hinges on the assumption that people can't relate to characters of different races, genders and sexualities from themselves. This is a weird assumption to me, especially considering how many "minorities" who also play video games.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Oh yeah sorry, I re read your post and you were just saying people could never identify with a gay character, sorry for taking your arguments so outta context :rolleyes:

So tell me, do you only read books with straight white males as protagonists too?

(it is me, I am the idiot for slap fighting)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Manic X posted:

So does that mean minorities and women never play video games because they can't identify with straight, cis, white, male protagonists?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I loved when Rust made your character's race completely beyond your control and people got upset about how they couldn't immerse themselves if they had to play someone not like themselves.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Glagha posted:

I loved when Rust made your character's race completely beyond your control and people got upset about how they couldn't immerse themselves if they had to play someone not like themselves.

Yeah that was p amazing.

Iirc even dick size was RNG'd and you were stuck with it :v:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Manic X posted:

Hmm, yes, tell me more about how a certain treasure-hunting woman is so unrelateable that a new game is made in the franchise every few years. :rolleyes:

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

Fathis Munk posted:

Oh yeah sorry, I re read your post and you were just saying people could never identify with a gay character, sorry for taking your arguments so outta context :rolleyes:

So tell me, do you only read books with straight white males as protagonists too?

(it is me, I am the idiot for slap fighting)

Actually an interesting question. I personally don't play many games with indepth stories as I don't have the time to immerse myself. I guess I personally would not care at all. I'm trying to offer an insight into the mindset of the businesses, not necessarily on my preferences. But please stop with trying to insinuate I am racist when I never made any argument to suggest so. I think it is a subconcious thing that happens when a gamer projects themselves into the characters, not a choice. Like I know that no sane and self-respecting person would play a great game like Uncharted, find out in some sequel that Drake is gay and debase and boycott the game because of it.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

So lately, I've been focused on truly understanding the forces that these globalists are either summoning, or being controlled by. I want to know exactly what sort of hypnosis we're all under. Recently, I stumbled upon Basil Le Croix aka Basil Crouch. He's a magician that seems to be in the background of the occult world, (everyone is all about Crowley) but I'm convinced that he's the real deal. I downloaded some of his books, and most of them come with written warnings and disclaimers. He claims that even reading about how to perform the rituals of these black orders can invoke something into your reality, even if you don't intend it to, so to be totally honest, that scared the poo poo outta me, and I've only read the introductions so far. I'm doing this not because I want to perform ritual black magick, but because I want to fully understand this black occult-driven conspiracy that I'm living within. I'm not satisfied with the research I've been doing, and want to dig deeper, to have that Aha! moment, when everything finally clicks in your mind, and you can see beyond the system you're enslaved to.

Anyway, I'm not sure how much farther I want to go, prying into this material. I'm a firm believer in a powerful source consciousness, driving and evolving this whole show that we call life, so that it can evolve and perfect itself, but I'm also aware that the astral plane is filled with all kinds of entities, dark and light. I don't want to meddle with the dark ones, I really don't. But I want to understand.

What is your take on magick? There are so many different mystery schools out there, black orders, cults, covens, and everything else you can imagine. Which path is the right path? Do all these paths lead to the same place? Why is it that we hear so much more about black magick than white magick? We are given this new age paradigm, which I'm becoming more and more convinced is a psy op for the populace to channel its energy into, a partial spirituality, that only gives you nuggets of truth, leaving the real and deeper keys to manifestation in the shadows. I've scoured the new age world, and it satisfied me for a while, but now I need more depth, much more. I think I've always wanted more information than I currently had access to. It does have enlightening pockets here and there, but for the most part, the new age movement feels like an energy diversion tactic. Oh, the peasants want to know where they came from, and what their true powers are as creators and destroyers, here, let's give them this (tptb throw new age at us.) That's kinda what it feels like.

Do you feel that these globalists are Atheistic Satanists (do not believe in Satan as a literal entity, and focus on self-sufficiency, discovering your latent power of manifestation, and being your own God) or Theistic Satanists (believe in Satan as a literal God-like entity, and practice darker magick)?

There's also lots of research that these globalists worship Saturn / El / Baal. Which is it? What do they actually believe in and worship? I realize that there are many different factions within the Illuminati, but I guess I'm speaking generally. If you have info on all these factions, that's certainly welcome though.

Where does positive thinking / intention come into all of this? I know that intention is a key element to all magick, but I feel that intention from a new age standpoint is partial knowledge / understanding. There's something missing from it, ya know? I can't explain it, but a lot more people's lives would be transformed if it were a complete set of knowledge / understanding, and all the history that comes with that. Where are all the ancient texts that describe the white magick rituals for transforming your life, where you can work with beings of light? Our collective consciousness has been flooded with dark entities, dark magick, dark subject matter, and that's understandable, because that is what our 'controllers' believe in. The dark side also makes for better entertainment (entrainment) and programming.

I'm trying to understand both sides though, the dark forces that our global elite are either summoning, or controlled by, and the history of this world of light magick, which has been deliberately hidden from us, so that we can't manifest in a positive way. For example, an ancient book about the metaphysical differences of manifesting through source consciousness vs manifesting through some entity, would be very helpful indeed.

Also a very important question... Are the globalists being controlled by alien life forms, spiritual entities, or both?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Manic X posted:

Actually an interesting question. I personally don't play many games with indepth stories as I don't have the time to immerse myself. I guess I personally would not care at all. I'm trying to offer an insight into the mindset of the businesses, not necessarily on my preferences. But please stop with trying to insinuate I am racist when I never made any argument to suggest so. I think it is a subconcious thing that happens when a gamer projects themselves into the characters, not a choice. Like I know that no sane and self-respecting person would play a great game like Uncharted, find out in some sequel that Drake is gay and debase and boycott the game because of it.

Just for the record, I'm not insinuating you're racist, I'm saying that your argument is wrong and sucks imo.

I'll leave it at that, there is no point in continuing this here :sun:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

The Saddest Rhino posted:

No game allows me to play a Rhino 😭

Ahem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

Fathis Munk posted:

Just for the record, I'm not insinuating you're racist, I'm saying that your argument is wrong and sucks imo.

I'll leave it at that, there is no point in continuing this here :sun:

In which case, I apologise for my assumption.