Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Navalny is alright but Putin's regime is doing everything it can to slowly wear him and the public out with show-trials. They are very careful not to make him a martyr, they put his brother in jail and not him, they are playing coy with "convicts can't run for president!". I think they are hoping that people get sick of hearing of him and he can be quietly put in jail, or people keep hearing that he's a criminal on state television and he is allowed to run late in the game, doesn't have time to organize a campaign and the ballots get stuffed, so the government can say that "see? only 8 percent support him". The Russian government is like a crazy abusive gaslighting husband.

So the candidates that will get 90% of the vote will be Putin, Zyuganov and Zhirik. The same guys that were there at the top in the 1996 election. Russia is a country frozen in time, ruled by people for whom time stopped in 1983.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Navalny is the most credible opponent left.

And he has been known to hang out with dubious nationalists.

Comedy option: Yavlinsky.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I am sure Putin's second third fourth(?) term will be just as interesting as the previous terms.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Somaen posted:

So the candidates that will get 90% of the vote will be Putin, Zyuganov and Zhirik. The same guys that were there at the top in the 1996 election. Russia is a country frozen in time, ruled by people for whom time stopped in 1983.

Whoa now. Putin wasn't there in '96, and Lebed is dead!

The comedy option is Hodor.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Why Is Finland Able to Fend Off Putin’s Information War?
:allears:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's an interesting overview of the situation, but the answer is basically

1. Be rich
2. Don't have a significant Russian minority

I mean, that's not incorrect, but implementing that is 1. Difficult and 2. Frowned upon

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 3, 2017

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

mobby_6kl posted:

1. Be rich

I mean, that's not incorrect, but implementing that is 1. Difficult and 2. Frowned upon
Perhaps, solutions mostly unavailable (at least for decades) in rest of EE and implementation of the second would invite little green men. But it's nice to see some country being successful in countering russian propaganda.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 3, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

mobby_6kl posted:

1. Be rich

Even then, that would mean that countries such as the USA, UK, France, or Germany should be immune too.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

1. Be rich

That's not all, judging from what's happening and has happened here in the Netherlands.

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

Dwesa posted:

Perhaps, solutions mostly unavailable (at least for decades) in rest of EE and implementation of the second would invite little green men. But it's nice to see some country being successful in countering russian propaganda.

Finnlandisierung isn't countering Russian propaganda. The Finnish government has been played like a fiddle several times and made to look like the weak link in the EU. The lack of bite is the fault of the Russian side, the result of an endless succession of provocations that would sour any country without a susceptible population base - nothing that the Finnish state has accomplished.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
crossposting from dnd pics thread

Make Poland proud, Janusz

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I'm eagerly awaiting for the europarliamentarians to learn the Korwin-Mikke drinking game.

You drink whenever he mentions Hitler

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

That's pretty standard JKM boilerplate. It wouldn't even make a list of the top 25 craziest and offensive things he's said. My personal favorite is when he insisted that political ideology is transmitted to women through their husband's semen.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Russian officials still dropping like flies in the wake of the Trump dossier.

https://twitter.com/th3j35t3r/status/838211155227213825?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Trogdos! posted:

crossposting from dnd pics thread

Make Poland proud, Janusz

Somebody needs to take a handbag to the head from a terrifying Polish grandmother.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Russian officials still dropping like flies in the wake of the Trump dossier.

https://twitter.com/th3j35t3r/status/838211155227213825?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
Funny how these things happen. 🤔

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Must be fun to be in the shoes of someone potentially on "the list" right now.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Must be fun to be in the shoes of someone potentially on "the list" right now.

There's a big rumor that Carter Page may have gone federal witness against Trump to get off that list.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Map of major industrial plants lost to Russian puppets in Ukraine:
https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/838049128848449537/photo/1

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I wonder what they plan to do with the stadium. Have matches against Transnistria or something?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

OddObserver posted:

I wonder what they plan to do with the stadium. Have matches against Transnistria or something?

Perception is a big thing for Russia and having things they can use for propaganda purposes to show "life is normal and good here thanks to us, PLEASE IGNORE WHAT EVERYONE ELSE SAYS!" is very important when your incompetent kleptocracy creates hellish places like Transnistria.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Ukraine is in the ICJ today trying to get Russia into poo poo over terrorism in Ukraine which Ukraine says Russia supports. There's a live stream of it here http://www.icj-cij.org/presscom/live_en3glish.php?p1=6

More context here http://www.dw.com/en/ukraine-v-russia-a-potential-game-changing-lawsuit-comes-before-the-icj/a-37806132

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Mar 6, 2017

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

A Pale Horse posted:

That's pretty standard JKM boilerplate. It wouldn't even make a list of the top 25 craziest and offensive things he's said. My personal favorite is when he insisted that political ideology is transmitted to women through their husband's semen.

I was not aware of that lmao.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

loving western nazi's funding and training Ukraine fascist junta!
http://ottawacitizen.com/news/natio...-disinformation

Embarrassing when it's true... lol canada.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Baronjutter posted:

loving western nazi's funding and training Ukraine fascist junta!
http://ottawacitizen.com/news/natio...-disinformation

Embarrassing when it's true... lol canada.

oh no people in German-controlled WWII media HAD CHILDREN

light the torches, time to root out those of tainted blood

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What would be the least risky way to kick Putin in the balls right now? Am I overestimating his grip on the US and the world?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Grouchio posted:

What would be the least risky way to kick Putin in the balls right now? Am I overestimating his grip on the US and the world?
Clancy-chat is banned in this thread.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Well today we find out if PiS has successfully managed to sabotage Donald Tusk's chances for reelection as president of the European council. It's a breathtakingly petty act by a diseased dwarf and his party of sycophantic toadies but it looks like it may work. Tusk has the support of Germany, Italy and France in addition to many smaller countries but PiS is adamantly opposed to his reelection and has been crawling up Theresa May's rear end in hopes she will support someone else. My fantasy is that Tusk isn't reelected, comes back to Poland and retakes the reigns of PO and proceeds to destroy PiS and imprison their leaders for the various constitutional violations they've committed since being elected.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

AndersTusk returning on a white horse. We can dream I guess, with the same effect probably.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I'm seeing more western press with this story that Belarus is the next Ukraine. The spin in this article is Belarus could be Trump's first test as president. I still find great difficulty putting the word Trump and president in the same sentence.

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/international/322841-facing-protests-and-an-antsy-russia-is-belarus-the-next

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There's a petition to kick everyone's favorite MEP, Korwin Mickey, out of the European Parliament.
https://secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/eu_toxic_mep_loc/

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Lol if they kick him out, he takes it to the court and it's ruled that essentially he was right. A sorta reverse Irving vs the holocaust trial if you will.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

A Pale Horse posted:

Well today we find out if PiS has successfully managed to sabotage Donald Tusk's chances for reelection as president of the European council. It's a breathtakingly petty act by a diseased dwarf and his party of sycophantic toadies but it looks like it may work. Tusk has the support of Germany, Italy and France in addition to many smaller countries but PiS is adamantly opposed to his reelection and has been crawling up Theresa May's rear end in hopes she will support someone else. My fantasy is that Tusk isn't reelected, comes back to Poland and retakes the reigns of PO and proceeds to destroy PiS and imprison their leaders for the various constitutional violations they've committed since being elected.

As it turns out, nah.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Awww yiss, get hosed PiS. Not even your friend and ally Orban voted against Tusk.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Can't wait for Serbian election meltdown over army reform in Kosovo.

quote:

Kosovo signaled on Wednesday it would turn its security force into a national army, in plans opposed by its ethnic Serb minority that drew immediate criticism from NATO and the territory's biggest foreign supporter, the United States.

Nearly two decades after the Kosovo war, relations between Belgrade and Pristina remain strained, and Serbia continues to regard Kosovo, which declared independence in 2008, as a renegade province.

The Kosovo government ordered the creation of a national army three years ago, but Serbian deputies said they would block the required changes to the constitution.

On Wednesday parliament indicated it would bypass that opposition by preparing amendments to an existing law that would allow the Kosovo Security Forces (KSF) to buy heavy weapons, effectively turning it into an army.

NATO, which has some 4,500 soldiers stationed in Kosovo, said the plan raised serious concerns.

"I made clear that unilateral steps such as these are unhelpful," the Atlantic alliance's Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said in a statement after talks with the territory's president and prime minister.

The U.S. embassy in Pristina said adoption of the amendments "would force us to re-evaluate our ... longstanding assistance to Kosovo's security forces."

A vote is expected in the coming days. Serb deputies, who number just 11 in the 120-strong chamber but whose support would be needed to change the constitution, said they would boycott the session.

Kosovo President Hashim Thaci, who initiated the creation of the army, said he would continue with his plans despite NATO and U.S. concerns. He called on the government and parliament to approve the law.

"Serbia is against our army... At the same time it fills its air space with MIG planes donated by Russia," Thaci said at a news conference after meeting U.S. and other western European ambassadors in his office.

"We have been waiting for the will of these (Serb) MPs for three years. We don’t see that coming and we cannot wait for them in eternity, we are forced to move with the law and transform the KSF into an army.”

Thaci said his western allies had told him they were not against a Kosovo army but they wanted to find a joint way to resolve the issue.

Serbia's Foreign Minister Ivica Dacic said on Monday that the new law would cause "instability in the region."

It aims to create a new army of 5,000 active soldiers and 3,000 reservists. The KSF, meanwhile, is a lightly armed, 2,500-strong force trained by NATO and tasked with crisis response, civil protection and ordinance disposal.

NATO arrived in Kosovo - a landlocked country of 1.8 million people that borders Serbia, Albania, Montenegro and Macedonia - in June 1999 following weeks of air strikes to halt the killing and expulsion of ethnic Albanian civilians by Serbian forces fighting a two-year counter-insurgency.

NATO has said it has no plans to leave Kosovo for now.

(Reporting by Fatos Bytyci; additional reporting by Robin Emmott in Brussels; Editing by Ivana Sekularac and John Stonestreet)

Unrelated - in case some Estonian goon has a few minutes to spare, please PM me.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Fabulous Knight posted:

As it turns out, nah.

A small victory, but I'll take it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm going to need an essay or two on how and why Poland is so hosed up.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Grouchio posted:

Catholicism + Nationalism + Historical Trauma.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Do your own homework, holy gently caress man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

A Typical Goon posted:

How dare you ask fellow goons around for advice or information, holy gently caress man
:regd09: