Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
The conq's shield bash is so good that as a zerker I can dodge it and do a dodge attack and the conq recovers fast enough to block it. There is almost no downside to spamming shield bash even against characters that have dodge attacks.

If you get someone in the corner it's game over. Every character with a bash can clean house easily on some maps because of this. Bashes in general completely gently caress up balance because their one counter, dodging, isn't reliable due to tracking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
They gently caress with something today? I haven't been able to finish a single game without getting dropped or put into an all bot game. Even duels! I have open NAT when I check so I'm not sure it's something on my end.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea the game is worse than ever. I can't even play duels either and I am on the PC. If the update tomorrow doesn't fix this stuff gonna have to get a refund.

Shame since the few times i can play it is fun.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Are there notes for the hotfix and patch coming? I can't find them on Reddit.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
Oops

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
The core gameplay of this game is so good but everything else loving suuuuuuucks. Wish they'd sort their matchmaking out so i'm not pitted against autist bladewizards every single goddamn match

Avail
Jun 27, 2005
the internet? what the fuck is the internet?
I finally turned chat off today and the game is much more enjoyable.

Normally I hate turning it off in games but I feel like it's a requirement for me to have fun in this one. I don't think I could handle much more of the constant salt.

So thanks for the recommendation thread!

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Of all the characters why does Kensei have to be the one that just totally clicks with me? Everything he does is done better by other characters, but I just like him.

How exactly do you escape a Warden/Conqueror/Warlord once you're out of stamina? Once I go grey I'm just dead because they can't just chain their shoves into free damage until I'm dead.

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Of all the characters why does Kensei have to be the one that just totally clicks with me? Everything he does is done better by other characters, but I just like him.

How exactly do you escape a Warden/Conqueror/Warlord once you're out of stamina? Once I go grey I'm just dead because they can't just chain their shoves into free damage until I'm dead.

I know right? I play other characters but Kensei is just on-point for me. After hitting the higher skill brackets though, he became a nightmare to play with. I want my drat fixes.

You can still dash when out of stamina, so dash backwards or to the side when you see their shoves coming. With Warden and Conq it's easier to do, though Warlord is a giant pain in the rear end because his head is a homing missile and tracks hard.

Also, keep away from corners/walls. You are pretty much dead if you get cornered.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Unlock and run. Then parry their running attack(warden), jump attack(warlord) or
Laugh at the slow conq with no catch up attack.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

As an LB lover buddy, I feel you. As for your question, unless you have some distance and can side dodge away, in my experience you're hosed. I've died several times to that nonsense.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Red Mundus posted:

The conq's shield bash is so good that as a zerker I can dodge it and do a dodge attack and the conq recovers fast enough to block it. There is almost no downside to spamming shield bash even against characters that have dodge attacks.

If you get someone in the corner it's game over. Every character with a bash can clean house easily on some maps because of this. Bashes in general completely gently caress up balance because their one counter, dodging, isn't reliable due to tracking.

If you're a zerker you can light attack him out of the bash, no dodge needed. Only Valk's shield bash blocks.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I finally finished up my Kensei tip/tricks thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NITwwNLNJM

First min or so probably not going over much you don't know, but a lot of the other stuff mentioned is stuff that not everyone is aware of.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Could the peacekeepers ornaments look any stupider? "So let's give her a hood over her helmet...but let's stick a 20 pound metal eagle on top of it also".

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I feel fortunate that I will never experience the problems apparently associated with high level play, since I will always be atrocious.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Could the peacekeepers ornaments look any stupider? "So let's give her a hood over her helmet...but let's stick a 20 pound metal eagle on top of it also".

They're the dunce caps she deserves :colbert:

Duder X
Mar 28, 2004

I just played against someone who ended up telling me that there are several uncounterable GB points against valk. After a blocked or dodged lunge attack, after a missed charge, and after a missed shield bash. He said it was because I had 'negative frames,' and that all classes had them as far as he knew. Google is of no use. Is there a list of points at which GB is uncounterable? That seems like crucial loving information to have. I haven't scoured this entire thread, so it may have already come up, but I've followed along a few pages at a time and have only ever seen a few mentions of guaranteed GB.

Duder X
Mar 28, 2004

EDIT: Clicked quote instead of edit like an idiot.

More Googling brought me to this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iZXPu8RkGvsbr-5W4xMIfzgB7z-PZPtfc7kUcacIkWk/edit#gid=693476689

EDIT 2: However, it appears to be incomplete as it only includes nobushi as a hybrid. Still, though.

Duder X fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 9, 2017

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Duder X posted:

I just played against someone who ended up telling me that there are several uncounterable GB points against valk. After a blocked or dodged lunge attack, after a missed charge, and after a missed shield bash. He said it was because I had 'negative frames,' and that all classes had them as far as he knew. Google is of no use. Is there a list of points at which GB is uncounterable? That seems like crucial loving information to have. I haven't scoured this entire thread, so it may have already come up, but I've followed along a few pages at a time and have only ever seen a few mentions of guaranteed GB.

Sounds right, most classes can be punished with a un techable gb on some wiffs.

I believe everyone can get guaranteed GB on wiffed GB attempts too.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 9, 2017

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Duder X posted:

If your side dash attack is blocked, then they get a guaranteed guard break. Shield bash depends on how far away you are from your opponent, and I'm not sure about the forward lunge.
e;Forward lunge is also a free guard break. Be careful using those as valkyrie.

dromer fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 9, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Evil Canadian posted:

First min or so probably not going over much you don't know, but a lot of the other stuff mentioned is stuff that not everyone is aware of.

This is ~extremely~ good.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Evil Canadian posted:

I don't understand the repeatable cancel. I've watched it like 8 times now, but I still find the wording extremely confusing. It could be that I've just woken up. Are you literally just hitting heavy attack just like normal for another cancel?

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 9, 2017

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

I'm no fighting game expert, but wouldn't removing teching entirely kill two birds with one stone? 1) Removes the need to balance based on certain characters having uncounterable breaks, and more important 2) makes the meta less defensive because the only way to stop GBs is attack.

Maybe I'm biased cause lawman is my favourite char, and I find myself pretty impotent against anyone who can tech perfectly. Just removes 80% of my damage-dealing potential.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

That would just devolve into spamming gb.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
They just need to make the window a little harder to hit consistently, or maybe make the timing slightly different each time or something. Thing is that would mess with lower skill players, so maybe they need like two separate rules sets for pros. Or maybe something weird like change the size of the window based on your reputation level, although that could be weird to get used to as you ranked up.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Any map with immediate hazards would just become even more high noon showdown about who can GB first.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.

Zaphod42 posted:

They just need to make the window a little harder to hit consistently, or maybe make the timing slightly different each time or something. Thing is that would mess with lower skill players, so maybe they need like two separate rules sets for pros. Or maybe something weird like change the size of the window based on your reputation level, although that could be weird to get used to as you ranked up.

All of these ideas are terrible.

Giving some sort of indicator that a GB is unable to be teched would be nice, but making it random or inconsistent is a GREAT way to kill a fighting game. Why try to learn a technique when the timings are random? At that point just uninstall the game and have a best of 5 coin flip guessing game with your friends.

People would still complain about P2P.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
The fact that it searches by language at all is such a massive gently caress you to people from the UK like me. I'd rather play against europeans than americans no matter what language they speak. They seem to have given "same language" the top loving priority for finding games since its the one thing that never opens up no matter how long you search for a game. I hope it's just some kind of UI bug or that it doesnt really do that because otherwise it's the dumbest matchmaking thing I've ever seen.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Liu posted:

The fact that it searches by language at all is such a massive gently caress you to people from the UK like me. I'd rather play against europeans than americans no matter what language they speak. They seem to have given "same language" the top loving priority for finding games since its the one thing that never opens up no matter how long you search for a game. I hope it's just some kind of UI bug or that it doesnt really do that because otherwise it's the dumbest matchmaking thing I've ever seen.

How are people going to spam toxic poo poo in chat if they don't prioritize language. What are you thinking man? Get it together.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

I've been playing dominion today and literally 1/3, if not more of my games disconnect with an error message within a few minutes.

Literally lol this game is DOA If they don't fix this poo poo ASAP

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I get maybe one or two disconnects every night out of like 20 or 25 games :thumbsup:

Wonder why it's endemic to some players.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

I've been playing dominion today and literally 1/3, if not more of my games disconnect with an error message within a few minutes.

Literally lol this game is DOA If they don't fix this poo poo ASAP

Last night I wasn't very motivated to play because of the current state of things. I just wanted to complete the daily orders for the steel and then log off.

One order was to simply complete 2 PvP elimination matches with a non-vanguard hero. Just 2 matches. It should be quick and easy, I don't even have to worry about winning. Should be done in about 10 or 15 minutes, right?

WRONG.

It took over an hour and 7 attempts to finally complete 2 matches. :ubisoft:

My NAT has been green since the closed beta and nothing has changed on my end, yet somehow my matchmaking experience is getting progressively worse each day.

This game is really fun, and I really want to play, but I'm starting to wish I could get a refund, lol. I have over 100 hours logged on Steam, so there's probably no way in hell, but I wonder what Steam's policy is for games that become literally unplayable due to bullshit like this when 70% of your games error out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pearnicious posted:

All of these ideas are terrible.

Giving some sort of indicator that a GB is unable to be teched would be nice, but making it random or inconsistent is a GREAT way to kill a fighting game. Why try to learn a technique when the timings are random? At that point just uninstall the game and have a best of 5 coin flip guessing game with your friends.

People would still complain about P2P.

I'm saying add a random delay, but still have the indicator when you need to time it. The timings would only be random for GB-counter only, it wouldn't effect your memorization of combo timing or any poo poo like that. Dunno what you mean but I think you completely misunderstood me.

I'm not saying make GBs randomly un-counterable. I didn't remotely say that. Yes, that would be loving stupid. Slow down and read what I actually said.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I have achieved Shugoki nirvana. Went 19:1 in Skirmish being a complete shitter and coming in from the sides with bear hugs while my team clustered around and beat them to death. Our team had not a single prestige and gear in the single digits, theirs had a prestige 3 and two 1s, everyone in double digit gear with the 3 in purple because matchmaking. :thumbsup:

Not a single bit of communication on our side, they just ended up orbiting me to keep the other team off me so I could keep doing cheap picks. At one point the prestige 3 Orochi caught me solo while I was running for the health buff, I waited for the invariable dodge strike, GBed into a homerun, and then bear hugged him as he was getting up. Guy logged immediately after.

Almost made me wish there was chat on PS4 so I could taste that salt. Almost. :allears:

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm saying add a random delay, but still have the indicator when you need to time it. The timings would only be random for GB-counter only, it wouldn't effect your memorization of combo timing or any poo poo like that. Dunno what you mean but I think you completely misunderstood me.

I'm not saying make GBs randomly un-counterable. I didn't remotely say that. Yes, that would be loving stupid. Slow down and read what I actually said.

No, I understood, but putting random elements in a skill-based game is just a terrible idea all around. Competitive skill-based games like For Honor reward players who put in the time to learn the nuances of the game. If you remove that and make it random so the timings are never consistent, you just ruined the game. It's not skill-based anymore, it's a button-mash RNG fuckfest. I would be so insanely pissed off if the counter GB timing was random every loving time, it would be impossible to counter unless you just got lucky. That's probably the worst idea I've ever heard of for a fighting game.

Can you imagine how infuriating it would be to counter GB when the GB comes out at random speeds? Especially when landing a GB is such a big deal right now. A single GB can win or lose you the game, and if counter timing is random...like I said, you might as well just play a coin-flip or dice-rolling simulator.

Personal Lucubrant fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 9, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Sorry man, I understand your sentiment (I'm a Lawbro too), but I have to agree with Pearnicious. You can't add a wildcard element to a skill game like this, that's just a huge step back. There are a lot of ways to go about solving the imbalances in this game without screwing with the core mechanics like that.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Wont a lot of the guard break teching issues be fixed when they fix the debuff stat affecting it?

The problem right now is what should be untechable gb can be teched due to that bug, which reduces strategy and skill.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

I don't understand the repeatable cancel. I've watched it like 8 times now, but I still find the wording extremely confusing. It could be that I've just woken up. Are you literally just hitting heavy attack just like normal for another cancel?

I got all dyslexic and worded it backwards. You do unblockable-> heavy side cancel -> immediately hit up heavy again -> side heavy again -> up heavy again etc. You gotta be lightning fast to get this any kind of reliable.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

Evil Canadian posted:

I got all dyslexic and worded it backwards. You do unblockable-> heavy side cancel -> immediately hit up heavy again -> side heavy again -> up heavy again etc. You gotta be lightning fast to get this any kind of reliable.

seems like this is being patched tomorrow so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
games dead on xbox. low activity in duel/brawl, wont find me a match. 4 player modes are trash as people wont engage 1v1 or even 1v2 the moment their move of choice cant be spammed, so gank squads are the norm. even then you arent guaranteed finishing a match, people quit and the game falls apart. all of this really sucks because when you do actually get a good fight going, the gameplay is rad. best example of a good game being ruined by a lovely community who have forgotten the title of the game