Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I can't seem to summon a manticore. I have my army at 19 units so there should be room for it. However I can't find the spell on the wizard down in the right hand corner, or the left when I select him. I have no idea what I am doing wrong here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It sounds like your wizard does not actually know that spell or there are mod shenanigans afoot.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I have no mods installed and I am certain he has the spell. I chose it. Ah well.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
The spells sucks now save the winds for 3 flocks of doom

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I've played this game a shitload and managing winds is the one thing that's never clicked for me. I always seem to just blow through everything way too quickly.

I also don't really understand what it means when you have a skill that gives +20 winds or whatever.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Ammanas posted:

The spells suck

ftfy

I still cannot for the life of me figure out beyond agent actions why spellcasters, even ones with good buff spells, are of any use whatsoever. I've mostly played Empire with a little bit of Dorf and VC experience and now Bret under my belt, but 99.9% of the time I would be having a much easier time with a combat hero or captain just chopping up 200+ dudes and giving leadership than any spell effect has ever done for me in a battle. I've tried to start with Gelt half a dozen times and just give up every time I start wringing my hands about how soon I can confederate someone so I can just recruit K. Frizzle the Empizzle already.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I hope for the next TW game they let you attach to allied AI armies or have them follow your own. The best battles tend to be the ones where your friends come and die horribly in your place help you out, but even with the war target coordination system they're few and far between given that everyone moves on different turns.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Pendent posted:

I've played this game a shitload and managing winds is the one thing that's never clicked for me. I always seem to just blow through everything way too quickly.

I also don't really understand what it means when you have a skill that gives +20 winds or whatever.

You can send a wiz hero alongside the army to molest the winds of magic in a territory. I've only used significant magic with VC and if the match starts and you're low on power I just slam everyone's winds charge button at the same time. I suddenly have 30 power sitting there waiting for me to poo poo out a combination of Xereus and that crazy shadow aoe spell on whatever idiots decide to go have a fight with my wall of undead.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

This Empire campaign seems to be going well. By turn 54, the dead factions: Von Carsteins, Vampire Counts, Crooked Moon, Beastmen, Bloody Spears, and the 3 minor WE factions. Not too shabby. Still have to confederate Middenberg though.

Question: the Empire unit roster is ridiculous. Are the different flavor variations of the regular infantry worth investing in or should I just stick with the usual progression?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Match 1
BadOptics (Greenskins) vs Klingon (Empire)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4JQKJ7Ym9g-NDdWekwzS016Nmc
Winner: BadOptics

Match 2
BadOptics (Beastmen) vs Klingon (Dwarfs)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4JQKJ7Ym9g-dXRncDFkdG5qYjA

Match 3 (for fun)
BadOptics (VC) vs Klingon (Brets)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4JQKJ7Ym9g-OXBPTlRYbGxJcDg

Things to improve on:
1) Unit control (too much blobbing and in match 1 my units got spread out too much).
2) Cycle charging! Need to work on micro'ing individual cav units instead of just moving them as a group too often.
3) While I knew my strategy in game 2 wouldn't have too much AP, towards the end I should have moved my chaff out of the way and let my GW centigors cycle charge the dwarf hero along with letting Khazrak beat him up.

Really dumb mistakes:
1) I thought Khazrak got vanguard deployments now if you take him without his chariot?
2) Forgot to put Vlad on a mount; taking winds without one is wasteful and raise dead's use is diminished. (Edit: Looks like I mixed up Vlad with the Red Duke) :downs:
3) Match 3 I should have just kept going towards his main army instead of hesitating.

Good games Klingon, and best of luck in your next match-up!

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 9, 2017

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Syrnn posted:

ftfy

I still cannot for the life of me figure out beyond agent actions why spellcasters, even ones with good buff spells, are of any use whatsoever. I've mostly played Empire with a little bit of Dorf and VC experience and now Bret under my belt, but 99.9% of the time I would be having a much easier time with a combat hero or captain just chopping up 200+ dudes and giving leadership than any spell effect has ever done for me in a battle. I've tried to start with Gelt half a dozen times and just give up every time I start wringing my hands about how soon I can confederate someone so I can just recruit K. Frizzle the Empizzle already.

What you need is a little bit of gejnors 'decent spells' mod (RIP molays). Buffs magic enough that it's powerful and you really want to target down the enemy spellcaster first, even with the AIs dumb targeting/spell use. Rolling my Brett campaign with 2 casters in my main army and having a blast.

A Gelt empire start is next

Edit: it's decent spells or decent magic. one of the two

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Drunk in Space posted:

I hope for the next TW game they let you attach to allied AI armies or have them follow your own. The best battles tend to be the ones where your friends come and die horribly in your place help you out, but even with the war target coordination system they're few and far between given that everyone moves on different turns.

Particularly if the enemy army ends up retreating when you do manage to get an allied battle set up.

I had a great one the other day though, Archaon attacking Karl Franz while my Louen was on site. Real Helms Deep type poo poo when my mass cavalry comes sweeping onto the flank of the chaos army.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Match 1:
Excelsiortothemax (Greenskins) Vs ZearothK (Vampire Counts)
Map: Bilbao
Winner: ZearothK and the Red Duke

Match 2:
Excelsiortothemax (Empire) Vs ZearothK (Warriors of Chaos)
Map: Altdorf
Winner: ZearothK and the Kholek Bromance

Match 3:
Excelsiortothemax (Dwarfs) Vs ZearothK (Greenskins)
Map: Devastation of Ostermark
Winner: No one, no one at all!

Too sleepy for commentary, GG and good luck on the next matches, Excelsior!

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 9, 2017

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Pendent posted:

The reserve is the total amount of power available to the wizard in battle. A high reserve also means power on hand will recharge faster. There are a few passive skills for some wizards and most of them get an active recharge skill that adds 5 (lol) to the reserve but turbos the recharge rate so you can blow your wizardly load real fast.

Syrnn posted:

ftfy

Spell damage doesn't scale with unit sizes, so as you go up in the unit sizes buff spells become more attractive. Some of the buffs are really loving good, like with +30 melee attack AOE on a group of empire swordsmen against orks, the swordsmen start hit far more often and will buzzsaw through that flank in no time. Or dropping a hex on some dwarves/lords to drop their armour so the little guys can punch on them without AP. Melee attack debuffs are amazing. Big strong scary AP chaos warriors? Drop their melee attack by 30 and their DPS tanks.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Spellcasters are force multipliers, there's only so much adding more melee heroes would do

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Gamerofthegame vs dow goes to Gamerofthegame 2-0.

Replay 1 - Dwarves vs Greenskins: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nc95g7n02izdyot/Fight1.replay?dl=0
Replay 2 - Von Carsteins vs Brettonia: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9lzagdva6qqrq16/Fight2.replay?dl=0

To watch the replay, download it and put it in this folder: AppData/Roaming/TheCreativeAssembly/Warhammer/replays

This was my first taste of multiplayer and wow, I'm hooked. Total Warhammer MP is amazing. Also, not having the luxury to pause or slo-mo, forces you to operate on a completely different level. The fog of war creates a tense and unnerving feeling the further you march without knowing the enemy makeup and formation.

Match 1 commentary: Gamerofthegame made excellent use of his map pick to maximize the strengths of the Dawi. His artillery and quarrels were in staggered rows at the top of a hill and reigned fire and blood on my Greenskins at the bottom of the valley. His reserves did a good job of fending off my Squig cavalry and I also completely underestimated the endurance of Quarrelers. Dear god, the quarrelers. Greenskin MVP of the match was my lone doom diver in the back that probably got 100+ kills.

Match 2 commentary: Holy poo poo, this was a hilarious match. I opted for an anvil chaff lineup bolstered by a Grail Reliquae, archers, Knights of The Realm, Louen Leoncoeur. I got served by Gamer's Isabella and her three vampire sidekicks. This battle has it all, noble Knights of the Realm gloriously (cycle-)charging into the fray, a battle of faith vs inhuman will in the center line, faith drunk peasants drop-kicking vampires in the face, and WWE superstar Isabella laying the smackdown on cycle charging Knights and peasants. GG Gamerofthegame!

Some fun shots:

"If it bleeds, we can kill it!"

DOMINA VULT

The power of the Lady compels you!

Sadly, Pierre never got to tell the tale of that one time he kicked Isabella Von Carstein in the face.

theDOWmustflow fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 9, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

So I got a movement not allowed message, which was weird but I didn't know which army was moving so I clicked request access, then got to see Karl Franz berate Karl Franz for being so arrogant as to make demands of the Emperor. Of course, there could be no compromises between such great men, so they invoked the sacred custom of altemus effus quatrus, and let bygones be bygones.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I have absolutely no idea why the Von Carsteins are rated as a hard start in even the most fantastical of worlds. You start with two vampire heroes and a terrifying monster of a combat lord and you get a second terrifying monster of a combat lord on turn two. Killing off the rest of Sylvania is easier than with any other VC LL because you just mosh pit with a bunch of zombies and then send your Quad Super Vampire Death Squad to instantly murder their general in half a second. Similarly your Empire opponents to the west can't really deal with Isabella and the Thrill Kill squad in any meaningful way.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It's a new type of hard start, you start and you start HARD.

Just create a big battle pile in VC land then cruise into Altdorf and make that your new home base by turn 25. Vlad Franz reporting for tasty treats.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

TheHoosier posted:

This Empire campaign seems to be going well. By turn 54, the dead factions: Von Carsteins, Vampire Counts, Crooked Moon, Beastmen, Bloody Spears, and the 3 minor WE factions. Not too shabby. Still have to confederate Middenberg though.

Question: the Empire unit roster is ridiculous. Are the different flavor variations of the regular infantry worth investing in or should I just stick with the usual progression?

Do you mean like, swordsmen, spearmen with shields, halberdiers? Swordsmen are the best main line infantry early on, cheap and effective, and spearmen with shields make good flank troops since they can take on cavalry. Halberdiers tend to form the core of the army later for me, since they add armour piercing to the mix, but they do lack shields so if you're up against a lot of archers consider keeping spearmen with shields or swordsmen. That kind of thing.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

John Charity Spring posted:

Do you mean like, swordsmen, spearmen with shields, halberdiers? Swordsmen are the best main line infantry early on, cheap and effective, and spearmen with shields make good flank troops since they can take on cavalry. Halberdiers tend to form the core of the army later for me, since they add armour piercing to the mix, but they do lack shields so if you're up against a lot of archers consider keeping spearmen with shields or swordsmen. That kind of thing.

Sorry I wasn't clear, I mean like a Leopold's company vs Xbowmen vs Rangers, Drakwald vs Imperial, etc. Though now that I'm back to this question I think they're actually a Radious mod product

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Even in radious mod, most of those units are just slight upgrades over the previous unit or a sidegrade. They are there if you got the cash for it. Some times you don't and have to spread out all over the place as empire.

Drakwald units are just vanguard units with worse stats than their counterparts in radious.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Third World Reggin posted:

Drakwald units are just vanguard units with worse stats than their counterparts in radious.

Not true, I think. Radious suffers from pretty bad power creep so nothing is ever a downgrade. Drakwald units have vanguard, but they are also stat-for-stat superior to many mainline Empire troops and also benefit from Cold Steel bonuses. They also all (infantry, archers, handguns and cav) come from the same +public order building chain so they're great mainline troops you can often recruit all over the place.

There's no philosophy or strategy behind the Empire roster in Radious, just ever increasing amounts of ridiculously statted infantry. Recruit whatever's prettiest.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
ISTR people saying Radious is really bad. Is that still true?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

TheHoosier posted:

Sorry I wasn't clear, I mean like a Leopold's company vs Xbowmen vs Rangers, Drakwald vs Imperial, etc. Though now that I'm back to this question I think they're actually a Radious mod product

Those are absolutely a Radious mod thing and a big part of why I don't gently caress with Radious mod because that amount of granular variation just sounds tedious to me.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
It throws a lot of poo poo at the wall but it's playable. The roster changes are worst for Empire because there're just so drat many variants of "dude with sword/spear/halberd" you have to figure out. On the campaign map the biggest change is it bumps faction basic income way up across the board, so even a minor faction will put up a hell of a fight - Marienburg can put out 3-4 full stacks easy. I've enjoyed some of the roster expansion but am considering uninstalling it again because every fight being a complete clusterfuck of multiple full stacks mashing into each other gets real old.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Syrnn posted:

ftfy

Louen and some paladins managed to tank an entire beastmen army while my archers shot happily into the mass surrounding them because I just kept spamming that green healing spell with my damsel. Worked pretty well for a bit, but then it all kinda fell apart when all the broken units rallied and attacked my archers... but still. There are some good ones in the mix.

Honestly the vanilla damsels are real good. Life especially.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Syrnn posted:

VC is basically the poster faction for using lords and heroes as the focal point of your army. Your entire strategy basically revolves around bogging poo poo down with chaff units so your necromancers and vampires can bombard the enemy line with spells or murder entire units in combat, at high enough levels vampires can actually do both. It's pretty common for me to lose an entire army of chaff and have my lord, a necro, and two vampires as the sole survivors, all racking up 300+ kills.

Lore of life casters are also great if your faction has access to them. Plopping them behind an infantry line with their heals and buffs is a huge force multiplier.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Even simpler spells like fireballs and the like are very useful, sniping an enemy hero or lord really fucks up morale before you even get into combat, same with some larger units like shaggoths or giants you might otherwise have to devote pretty fair numbers towards killing. Some units also have things like ethereal, making them quite hard to put down without some source of magic.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
CA posted a really cool infographic picture drawn from player-data!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

My fireball caster regularly gets hundreds of kills per battle. Buffs and debuffs can turn a scary enemy hero into mincemeat.

Magic is quite micro-heavy but really good when you get good at it.

EDIT:^^^ haha, the dreaded mousillon

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 9, 2017

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Wow, we've very likely killed more Warhams dudes in the past year than real people have died in combat in all human history. That's some serious action.

And on magicchat the Lore of Light spell that locks a chunk of the enemy army in place for 20 seconds or whatever can be incredible. I don't know why it's the only control style spell in the game (as opposed to damage, buffs and debuffs) as it alone makes the Lore of Light caster super useful.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Never forget this graphic when seeking/reading campaign advice.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Part of the 0.2% :smug:

(Don't play on Legendary it's a loving chore)

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I've beaten legendary VC, Warriors of Chaos, Beastmen, and Wood Elves, and I have to agree - it's a huge pain in the rear end. I very rarely save scum in a VH campaign but you don't even get the option in Legendary, so one gently caress up and the whole campaign could be over (especially if you're WoC or Beastmen).

Never beaten a Dwarf or Greenskin campaign, even on normal. I just find that whole badlands area to be boring, and their rosters aren't interesting to me.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 9, 2017

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I am part of the 0.2% and only once, it was as the VCs. I don't mind the iron man stuff or there not being a mini-map, but the way enemy units gets statted up is a huge chore.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

suburban virgin posted:

Wow, we've very likely killed more Warhams dudes in the past year than real people have died in combat in all human history. That's some serious action.

And on magicchat the Lore of Light spell that locks a chunk of the enemy army in place for 20 seconds or whatever can be incredible. I don't know why it's the only control style spell in the game (as opposed to damage, buffs and debuffs) as it alone makes the Lore of Light caster super useful.

Net of Amnytok or whatever its called is insanely good. Its the only spell that freezes units in place to my knowlege, but there are many other debuffs that slow them.

Agreed that Magic is really micro heavy, and often the best reason to turn speed down to 50%. The way that the winds of magic seem to work (power regenerates back up to a certain point, but every point regenerated makes the next point regenerate slower) means you also need to really be careful about knowing exactly when to use spells.

I'm still getting the hang out of using magic as a decisive factor in my games. No doubt it is helping me, but I'm not sure how many victorious battles I can chalk up to using spells effectively (unless spamming Invocation of Nehek on 50%-health units in combat counts).

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Fangz posted:

ISTR people saying Radious is really bad. Is that still true?

Mostly, radious adds a ton of similar units and homogenizes the factions, and adds inexplicable balance changes.

That said, at least with Warhammer some of those units are similar to old lore and fluff, like how the old VC used to have human auxiliary troops.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I don't like the way they make the difficulty in harder difficulties scale up. It feels more of a handicap, with public order penalties for you and bonuses for the AI, Ld penalties/bonuses, the AI becoming virtually immune to attrition, etc. I don't mind them getting economic bonuses per se, though it would be nicer if these happened to some of the minor factions to make them more relevent (I know mods do this, just sayin')

I guess it is outside CA's wheelhouse to have an AI that just behaves differently at harder difficulty settings. Because in a perfect world you'd have an AI that would do things like:

-Take bigger risks on its end with attacking fortified cities on easier difficulty settings, so novice players would get more actual battles to practice using their units in various situations in campaign, but in harder difficulty be more opportunistic and agressive in pouncing on vulnerable armies/cities.

-Have them take the full effect from attrition or public order reducing abilities (making these things still relevant in campaign to use) but adapt around it; raid a territory a lot and maybe the AI will build a public order building instead of a money building to offset the penalty, AI will start taking attrition reducing skills if it keeps having to slog through corrupted areas, etc.

-On harder difficulty settings use units more effectively ie when being hit by slow moving projectiles maybe the unit will try to juke around to dodge them, cavalry forming narrower blocks to try to squeeze between your spearmen/archer checkerboards, countering your units better, try to assasinate your lord in combat if it is not too risky to commit to it with their lord/heroes/spells, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

In the end it's not really possible in general to make AI that is 'harder' in a strategy game in a fair and fun way. Humans have an intrinsic advantage over AI opponents in a number of ways - for example, humans can choose to backstab an AI opponent regardless of their relationship level, and know exactly how much their actions are riling up their enemies and increasing their chances of turning on them. In buffing the AI you also have to buff them to create still a stalemate at the higher difficulty. More aggressive AI would probably mean that by the time you get to parts of the map you'll reliably find it has all consolidated into a single boring block. Instead of producing an interesting dynamic situation for you to interfere in.

It's also generally unwise to make higher difficulties harder by shutting down specific strategies, you wind up making the higher level game more boring if you make the AI smarter. Players want to feel like they are smarter in defeating larger, scarier enemy armies by applying what they learnt, not 'oh I guess this strat doesn't work any more, I'll just have to build a bigger army'.

• Locked thread