Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

powderific posted:

What's the practicality knock on the fiesta? People plus cargo? With one seat folded down I can fit two other people plus my full camera kit and I doubt I'd do much better in a gti. To fit the same stuff without folding down the seats in my crosstrek I had to use a roof basket. It's definitely smaller but with some Tetris you can still fit a lot. I could see it being unworkable for 4 people with travel bags though.

The concern for me is people plus cargo (mainly hockey), and also the possibility in the future for 2 adults, big dog, and a kid going to visit relatives for a few days. If that's feasible I would strongly consider the Fiesta, I love the way it looks and I love the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dr.Caligari posted:

I know there is probably a more appropriate trouble shooting thread, but I'll ask here anyway. '14 FiST, 70k miles, never any problems. Was driving it home from work , which is about a 40 minute commute. I was almost home and stopped for gas and the pump was running abnormally slow, so I only put $8 worth in it. Start it back up and it runs like absolute poo poo. Missing and almost dying. I purchased 93 octance, as usual (I run a Cobb AP). I stopped and set the map to 'Stage 0', thinking maybe it was just low quality gas. Nothing changed and this morning it won't start at all. It only has a 1/4 of a tank of that poo poo fuel in it. Should I fill it with gas I know to be high grade and try it again? Could there be water in the gas?

I've never had a problem like this and I'm worried that bullshit gas is causing some damage.

I'm not getting a CEL , or any other abnormalities than described.

It sounds like some poo poo was in the gas. Call the gas station and see if anyone has reported issues to them. You could try to replace with known good gas, it may run poo poo for a bit, then just keep refilling. The problem is that it may not start because the lines are filled with this poo poo gas, which may require dropping the tank and clearing the fuel lines.

This is covered under comprehensive insurance in the case of fuel contamination.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

prom candy posted:

The concern for me is people plus cargo (mainly hockey), and also the possibility in the future for 2 adults, big dog, and a kid going to visit relatives for a few days. If that's feasible I would strongly consider the Fiesta, I love the way it looks and I love the price.

This was really it for me. The fiesta hatch was fine 75% of the time, but I play ice hockey 2-3x a week, ski, and golf. When I was trying to get two people plus gear for any of those around, it was very cramped. That's actually one of my big criticisms of the RS I bought, the AWD system under the trunk makes for less cargo space than a normal focus or ST. If you're just commuting, or only tripping with 2 people, a dog, and some luggage it'd be fine.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

It sounds like some poo poo was in the gas. Call the gas station and see if anyone has reported issues to them. You could try to replace with known good gas, it may run poo poo for a bit, then just keep refilling. The problem is that it may not start because the lines are filled with this poo poo gas, which may require dropping the tank and clearing the fuel lines.

This is covered under comprehensive insurance in the case of fuel contamination.

I think I'm going to have too. I tried using HEET in it , added known hi-quality gas and now it's not even turning over.

*update - I called Marathon and the first person I spoke with ask if I was one of the people that called yesterday about this problem , or if I was the guy that needed a tow truck (?!) I stated that I was not.

I then spoke to a manager who stated she gets a "daily printout of the gasoline quality" and it was fine. She also stated I was the only person to report any problems (despite her cashier just telling me multiple people had called). In an even more odd moment, she asked who my carrier is because her cashier claimed she got this same call (from me?) yesterday from a different number.

The whole call was hosed up and I wish I would have had a way to record it.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 4, 2017

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Fun Shoe

xsf421 posted:

This was really it for me. The fiesta hatch was fine 75% of the time, but I play ice hockey 2-3x a week, ski, and golf. When I was trying to get two people plus gear for any of those around, it was very cramped. That's actually one of my big criticisms of the RS I bought, the AWD system under the trunk makes for less cargo space than a normal focus or ST. If you're just commuting, or only tripping with 2 people, a dog, and some luggage it'd be fine.

I fit 4 guys and all of gear for a ski weekend into my Golf after the roof attachment came off the car. It wasn't comfortable by any stretch of the imagination but it was pretty impressive. I thought we were going to have to leave things on the side of the road at first. 11 hour drive each way too.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
If you're buying a car and practicality is your only concern the fit is literally the best option. When I drive it most of the cars I see are twice or more the price new and it just blows my mind that people are paying that much money for those cars when this one's so good. Seriously it blows my mind that I leased it new for like 15k.

There's just absolutely no romance to it. It's like a medieval arranged marriage.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
At least they bumped the newer Fit up to 130hp. The lack of a hot version is made even worse by the new Civic hatch, I don't like the look of it at all.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
I would give an embarrising amount of money for a Fit SI or Type R. C'mon Honda.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

wolrah posted:

Counterpoint:

Computers, monitors, and phones for a four person office plus a folding ladder, wire, and wiring tools. Nothing extended in to the front row other than the fiberglass sticks in the middle. The front seats didn't need to be moved forward or anything.

If you only ever need four seats OR cargo capacity it's a fine car. If you need both at the same time you'll probably want something else, in which case I'd probably pick the GTI over the FoST as well.

Hm, honestly that seems less lovely for hauling stuff than my sedan was. I'm gonna have to see one in person and see how I feel about it.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 5, 2017

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Dr.Caligari posted:

I know there is probably a more appropriate trouble shooting thread, but I'll ask here anyway. '14 FiST, 70k miles, never any problems. Was driving it home from work , which is about a 40 minute commute. I was almost home and stopped for gas and the pump was running abnormally slow, so I only put $8 worth in it. Start it back up and it runs like absolute poo poo. Missing and almost dying. I purchased 93 octance, as usual (I run a Cobb AP). I stopped and set the map to 'Stage 0', thinking maybe it was just low quality gas. Nothing changed and this morning it won't start at all. It only has a 1/4 of a tank of that poo poo fuel in it. Should I fill it with gas I know to be high grade and try it again? Could there be water in the gas?

I've never had a problem like this and I'm worried that bullshit gas is causing some damage.

Get a fluid transfer pump and pump that fuel out into a container and have it tested. If the car won't start with new gas it might have issues. Pull the plugs, clean with carb cleaner, dry, and let the cylinders dry out over night and try starting again.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Hm, honestly that seems less lovely for hauling stuff than my sedan was. I'm gonna have to see one in person and see how I feel about it.

It's surprising how much that extra bit of cubic volume from the hatch matters.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
RELEVANT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWHlaShvLz4

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gti is very practical and fits all my hockey bags with room to spare, I can't speak to the others

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Fun Shoe

I got all 4 wheels off my s2000 as well as the 4 old tires all in my Golf at the same time. There's an insane amount of usable room.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The GTI have a beige headliner?

Dr.Caligari posted:

Considering it started with the gas, I'd start there and find a different station and top up.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 5, 2017

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Have any of you guys towed with the Fiesta st? Would it be able to handle a trailer with 2 dirt bikes? Maybe 900 lbs total.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

This is awesome

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

prom candy posted:

You'll have to fold seats down to fit more then one hockey bag comfortably unless they are smaller bags. My Warrior bag fits in the back with the hatch cover on but its fairly tight. I'm guessing you could stack two on top of each other without the cover on, I know I used to do it all the time with my Mk4s and my Mk5 years back.

I have driven a friend to hockey as well with the seats folded theres plenty of room.

This bag for reference.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Partial Octopus posted:

Have any of you guys towed with the Fiesta st? Would it be able to handle a trailer with 2 dirt bikes? Maybe 900 lbs total.

Normal Fiesta hatchback hitches will fit the ST, but most people have issues with the stock exhaust hangers being too floppy and allowing the exhaust to hit the hitch. Aftermarket hangers seem to solve that cheaply and easily. The bumper cover also needs to be slightly trimmed or deformed.

Weight rating wise, Ford says no towing with a Fiesta period, so you're on your own for figuring out what you're comfortable with.

The most popular hitch seems to be the one from Curt, which is rated for 1500 lbs with 150 lbs tongue weight. The car itself has a GVWR of 3630 lbs and weighs 2742 lbs dry, so it's rated for 900 lbs of fluids, people, and cargo in the vehicle.

As long as the trailer has good brakes and is loaded properly I'd be comfortable with the ratings of the Curt hitch. If I was pushing the limits of the hitch rating I'd probably consider the vehicle to be full with two people and no significant interior cargo. I wouldn't do anything over 750 lbs without brakes.. Don't lug the engine, keep the speed reasonable, and watch your temperatures especially if it's warm out.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

D C posted:

You'll have to fold seats down to fit more then one hockey bag comfortably unless they are smaller bags. My Warrior bag fits in the back with the hatch cover on but its fairly tight. I'm guessing you could stack two on top of each other without the cover on, I know I used to do it all the time with my Mk4s and my Mk5 years back.

I have driven a friend to hockey as well with the seats folded theres plenty of room.

This bag for reference.

When we take my friend's Fit to hockey we stack two bags in the hatch (hatch cover removed) and then do the third bag in the back seat along with the third guy. I suspect with the hatch cover removed in the Fiesta we could probably make this work. I play hockey with two dudes from my neighbourhood and we take turns driving in a rotation so being able to fit 3 guys and 3 sets of gear is key for me. I also play with my dad (who lives around the corner) and my wife pretty often, so yeah, 3 is the magic number in terms of hockey bags/players.

The other big hypothetical concern is a rear-facing child seat. No kids right now but we're getting to that age and even though my wife and are pretty drat short (5'6" and 5'4") it seems like you can't fit a rear-facing child seat in a Fiesta and still fit somebody in the passenger seat.

I like the idea of getting the smallest possible car that would fit my needs but it seems like the Fiesta might be just a touch too small to be realistic.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Child seats monopolize room in a car like no other. Once you factor in all the things that come with going anywhere with a kid, you'll want something larger than a fiesta. Or a fiesta with a roof box I guess...

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Yeah, if a rear-facing child seat is in the equation a Fiesta is almost assuredly not an option unless the passenger is really short.

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/ford-fiesta-st-will-it-baby-1756684914

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

prom candy posted:

When we take my friend's Fit to hockey we stack two bags in the hatch (hatch cover removed) and then do the third bag in the back seat along with the third guy. I suspect with the hatch cover removed in the Fiesta we could probably make this work. I play hockey with two dudes from my neighbourhood and we take turns driving in a rotation so being able to fit 3 guys and 3 sets of gear is key for me. I also play with my dad (who lives around the corner) and my wife pretty often, so yeah, 3 is the magic number in terms of hockey bags/players.

The other big hypothetical concern is a rear-facing child seat. No kids right now but we're getting to that age and even though my wife and are pretty drat short (5'6" and 5'4") it seems like you can't fit a rear-facing child seat in a Fiesta and still fit somebody in the passenger seat.

I like the idea of getting the smallest possible car that would fit my needs but it seems like the Fiesta might be just a touch too small to be realistic.

I looked at at FiST with two kids, one rear facing and one front facing and it just wasn't possible. Short trips yes, but there is zero luggage space for a weekend away.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

wolrah posted:

Yeah, if a rear-facing child seat is in the equation a Fiesta is almost assuredly not an option unless the passenger is really short.

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/ford-fiesta-st-will-it-baby-1756684914

I was able to fit a rear facing seat in the fiesta by putting the seat in the middle of the back seat. Even that won't work if you have the recaros though, only the base seats. The recaros have a huge bulge on the top of the back section.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Plus, looking at the way it goes for my friends it seems like if you have one kid, you're probably gonna have two. I guess my subcompact car for a subcompact man dream dies then! I all-around like the GTI better anyway (having test driven exactly none of these cars), but the Fiesta is a lot cheaper.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Back on FiST and FoST chat, I have a FoST3 and was recently driving a 1.0L EB Fiesta. From a practical interior room perspective, the Fiesta is a little bit more narrow feeling, but up front I felt like I had better room than in the FoST just because the packaging is better. The back seat is a bit tight but the trunk area is fairly decent. The FoST especially with the Recaros has some of the worst interior space utilization known to man.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Back on FiST and FoST chat, I have a FoST3 and was recently driving a 1.0L EB Fiesta. From a practical interior room perspective, the Fiesta is a little bit more narrow feeling, but up front I felt like I had better room than in the FoST just because the packaging is better. The back seat is a bit tight but the trunk area is fairly decent. The FoST especially with the Recaros has some of the worst interior space utilization known to man.

Yep, FoST2 owner here and can confirm that it feels like a plane cockpit or something from the driver's seat. Imagine a FiST with the Recaro seats might have a similar problem though.

How's the visibility out of the Fiesta compared to the Focus?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Remove the trunk "floor" in your FiST and gain a shitload more space!

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM
My wife is 5'6" and she comfortably fits in the FiST with a rear-facing car seat in the back - a rear-facing carrier with a dock, similar to https://carseatblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/BritaxBSafeVolt.jpg. I need the extra 4" from folding the car seat handle all the way down, not as it's pictured, but it fits comfortably and my wife is satisfied with the leg room. At 6'1", I can't fit at all in the passenger seat like this though.

Just wait until the kid is in a forward-facing seat. I keep a Diono Radian facing forward at all times in the FiST and barely notice the loss of space.

PaintVagrant posted:

Remove the trunk "floor" in your FiST and gain a shitload more space!

This is also very true. You can fit an entire case of beer, and then some, under the fake floor in the trunk.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
You can also lower that false floor all the way down so you still have a flat surface. With the floor all the way down I can fit the stroller and... nothing else.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
So after trying it the Fiesta ST is a little small after all. Too bad because the guy was obviously dying to sell the thing.

The Focus RS was loving amazing but I think maybe it's too much to spend. I'm gonna try and hunt down a Focus ST and see what it does for me.

I also took a GTI for a spin. Really nice; feels a lot more expensive than the others. The clutch engage point was higher than I'm used to and the guy was like "uhhh do you know how to drive stick?" and it was really embarrassing, but, other than that...

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I also took a GTI for a spin. Really nice; feels a lot more expensive than the others. The clutch engage point was higher than I'm used to and the guy was like "uhhh do you know how to drive stick?" and it was really embarrassing, but, other than that...

You can adjust the clutch pedal. There's a little bolt you can mess with to change the pedal travel. I did that on the FRS because the engagement point was a bit high on that car too.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The GTI clutch feels like poo poo no matter what you do. Removing the restriction piece and the return spring help, but it still returns slow and takes time to disengage/reengage.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don't think Volkswagen actually expects anyone to buy the manual these days

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Guess I'm just used to it, clutch feels fine. But my last 4 cars have been manual VWs. We don't discuss the POS Accord I had in high school.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The clutch and shifter in my GLI feel fine, I'd assume it's the same as what's in the GTI.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
VW clutch setups always feel weird to me.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

GutBomb posted:

The clutch and shifter in my GLI feel fine, I'd assume it's the same as what's in the GTI.

I think it would feel OK if I were used to it but I got some really awful shifts in there. By contrast the Fords felt pretty much just like my old Mazda as far as the clutch went.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 9, 2017

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

dissss posted:

I don't think Volkswagen actually expects anyone to buy the manual these days

The good thing about shopping for a manual is (besides the RS anyway...) dealers always seem pretty eager to get rid of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The clutch in my GTI feels fine.
I'm also coming from driving a majority of VAG with a random Hyundai and the g/f's Jeep thrown in the mix so I might just have Stockholm syndrome.