Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

AFAIK, inside-out still doesn't have a solution for hand tracking, unless something has come to light that I (and the thread) have missed.

The Razer Hydra controllers were super accurate and super low latency... is there any reason someone couldn't use that technology with the base station located somewhere on/in the HMD?

https://www.razerzone.com/gaming-controllers/razer-hydra-portal-2-bundle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

The Razer Hydra controllers were super accurate and super low latency... is there any reason someone couldn't use that technology with the base station located somewhere on/in the HMD?

https://www.razerzone.com/gaming-controllers/razer-hydra-portal-2-bundle

They drifted and required relatively frequent recalibration.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

SwissCM posted:

They drifted and required relatively frequent recalibration.

I also recall hearing that they weren't very accurate either.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

rage-saq posted:

I also recall hearing that they weren't very accurate either.

I had them for a little bit, they were super accurate to me for the hour or two I used them but I wasn't paying attention for any drifting.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The tech could probably be used in conjunction with some kind of optical tracking. The optical part probably wouldn't have to be all that robust either, just enough that the absolute position of the devices could be tracked every few seconds or so.

Though it's patent encumbered, which is likely the biggest obstacle for mass adoption.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Looks like there is going to be some new features and content for Medium coming soon

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
VR Goons!

I just reviewed the updated Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope. Click to see. But tl;dr it's really good now. It was okay before, the latest world is awesome and coop is a great fit.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with The First Encounter (VR) - I know there is multiplayer, was thinking it might be fun to try to get a session of goons?

Also is there any goon community I could join around BAM VR? I want to get into it and goon voice comms are usually the best voice comms.

ADD ME!(?)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Knifegrab posted:

Well yes and no. Anything that is going to be tracked has to be baked into the SDK. One of the benefits of the lighthouse is the devices are self reporting, so they, in theory, could just work out the gate, with no assistance needed from valve, whereas Oculus would need to have an approval and then build process for new peripheral support. Also because of the nature of Lighthouse you can have twenty self reporting devices and other than possible backup due to positional reporting, wouldn't really see a performance impact. But because constellation requires on board processing of the images, if you add ten peripherals to a scene it might add up to a performance cost on the PC.

Another limitation is in the actual identification of the LEDs. The technical details are explained here: http://doc-ok.org/?p=1124 but the tl;dr version is that the Constellation system as implemented in DK2 only gives seven bits of usable LED ID range. That's 128 possible LEDs being tracked, period. As far as I am aware this has not changed in the production version.

The headset uses 48 LEDs and the Touch controllers have 24 on each, for a total of 96 already used. That leaves 32 more slots for any and all additional tracked objects to share, within a given tracking space. Lighthouse on the other hand can support an effectively infinite number of tracked objects in a space, the objects themselves occluding other objects would be the limiting factor in the real world.

That said, in reality how many accessories are you going to have, and how many could you actually use at the same time?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Constellation would be great if they had wireless 4K cameras at 120hz but that's not possible. Unless they could do all the calculations in the camera and just send vectors back to the PC but that would be really expensive.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

wolrah posted:

Another limitation is in the actual identification of the LEDs. The technical details are explained here: http://doc-ok.org/?p=1124 but the tl;dr version is that the Constellation system as implemented in DK2 only gives seven bits of usable LED ID range. That's 128 possible LEDs being tracked, period. As far as I am aware this has not changed in the production version.

The headset uses 48 LEDs and the Touch controllers have 24 on each, for a total of 96 already used. That leaves 32 more slots for any and all additional tracked objects to share, within a given tracking space. Lighthouse on the other hand can support an effectively infinite number of tracked objects in a space, the objects themselves occluding other objects would be the limiting factor in the real world.

That said, in reality how many accessories are you going to have, and how many could you actually use at the same time?

With Touch being $100 I could see Oculus just doing what they are doing with RockbandVR and just making adapters to hook Touch up to whatever they wanna track. I generally think tracking accessories like that are a niche within a niche that will take a long time for it to be really relevant though, even the Lighthouse pucks.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Pavlov updated; it's not really apparent from the patch notes but it takes a lot less bullets to kill someone, it feels like the appropriate amount now. Probably updated to the latest Unreal Engine version as well, as performance is a bit enhanced across the board.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
<3 RoboRecall <3 Seriously I can't stop playing it.

WaterIsPoison fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 7, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

TheRam posted:

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with The First Encounter (VR) - I know there is multiplayer, was thinking it might be fun to try to get a session of goons?

It's my favourite VR game now and I'm eagerly awaiting the patch that lets my non-vr-having friends also play with me. I played a full co-op playthrough with a friend and it was a total clusterfuck of enemies. Also can't wait for the second encounter, which has an extra enemies setting when more players join, that poo poo's going to be even better.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

WaterIsPoison posted:

<3 RoboRecall <3 Seriously I can't stop playing it.

:same: I am terrible at it and would be quite happy remaining stationery unloading fully upgraded pistols, but am going to have to learn to play properly to get those upgrades.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Big box retailers are getting into VR.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

I'm surprised Ikea doesn't straight-up buy the Home Improvisation app and reskin it so people can plan out their apartments with all Ikea stuff.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
VR would be a perfect fit for home remodeling software.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

TerminalSaint posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/447270/

enjoy this vive launch title

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

I forgot that's a thing but my point stands, why stop with just making a five minute experience when you could import your floor plan into an app and go hog wild placing furniture.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, it definitely could use much improvement. Ideally something like "load your architect's cad files, enjoy decorating"

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Without doxxing myself, I know certain bb retailers were experimenting with making 3d scans of their inventory for more or less just that.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Paired with Project Tango would be pretty sweet. AR import your home, then use Ikea VR to try out new furniture and trimmings all over in your own place.

That would make it easy to just have a really well coded app to do that at home on your own phone, then just come into the store, upload the data from the app, and dive in.

Hmm

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

That's a good start, but I'm thinking more along the lines of that Unreal level editor meets the Sims build mode.

Edit:

Truga posted:

Yeah, it definitely could use much improvement. Ideally something like "load your architect's cad files, enjoy decorating"

Yeah, like that, but also let me knock out a wall or add a window.

TerminalSaint fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 7, 2017

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Evidently Pavlov got a big update that among other things makes everyone less bullet spongey. Gonna have to give it another go and try not to :barf:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Classic NES games in VR:

Duck Hunt:
https://www.facebook.com/vrscout/videos/1225913974130288/

Contra:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBdIVGOs0uo

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

The bandanna and tactic-lol vest are a nice touch.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Soundboxing, Holodance, or Audioshield?

e: reddit seems to have plenty to say on this. Any personal opinion?

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 8, 2017

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

TerminalSaint posted:

Right? here's a free one:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/585340/?snr=1_7_7_230_150_4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS0iqunTRCs

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
The Super Hot VR update is out adding endless mode and a few different challenge mode settings. That's tied with Robo Recall for my favorite VR thing!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Heran Bago posted:

Haven't tried holodance, but I'd put soundboxing before audioshield.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Heran Bago posted:

Audioshield. It just works with everything. Soundboxing needs beatmaps, which can be of varying quality.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Just picked up audioshield yesterday and really enjoy it. Though, are the only mods, difficulty related? Would be awesome to have a bigger variety of environments.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Audioshield. It just works with everything

It's "just works" tends to vary in quality a lot more than Soundboxing's beatmaps.

Both, like DDR/Stepmania, work best if you stick to music that actually works well with the game.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

If you just want the best rythm game in VR, get Thumper instead.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

GlyphGryph posted:

If you just want the best rythm game in VR, get Thumper instead.

That or Rez on PSVR. Thumper's ace but Rez is Rez.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Does anyone know if the SteamVR "Knock Knock" can be activated via s script call? I wanna connect it to my doorbell.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Thumper is great

iceaim
May 20, 2001

GlyphGryph posted:

Haven't tried holodance, but I'd put soundboxing before audioshield.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/5y3uaz/an_audioshield_mod_to_satisfy_all_your_difficulty/

You may want to check out this difficulty mod as well.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I didn't realize Arizona Sunshine added a new locomotion mode, so I tried it out last night.

I know everyone clamors for this type of movement, but this doesn't feel any more "natural" to me than teleportation. It feels like you're sliding across the ground plus some unnatural sideways and occasional mix ups thrown in there your hands aren't pointed the right way. Pretty much every game with this type of locomotion has felt this way to me and I think I prefer teleportation right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

After a thorough look at all three I grabbed Holodance first. It has Osu integration and regular updates from a communicative dev. I never cared much for computer-generated beat maps in audiosurf. The Osu levels must be downloaded and installed to Osu by double-clicking the downloaded file so there is a tiny bit of setup. The selection is mostly ultra-nerd poo poo and the user-created beatmaps vary in quality, but when it's good it's drat good. My biggest complaint is that the framerate tanks in the first level/background.

Not sure which one will be next. Probably Thumper, didn't know about that one.