Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Where the hell does Kerry get a spiked baseball bat from?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
issa good episode

edit show has the trappings of lynch but isnt actually lynchian. its actually way more indebted to terry gilliam. the influences in this show are so identifiable that it almost feels sampled. like the guy whos making this is a magpie just taking wholesale from these greats of the 20th century. if only the writing was better

atrus50 fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 9, 2017

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Pan Dulce posted:

I don't know how to compress and cut up gifs, but I found the part itself if you want to fiddle with it:

A smaller one with the shoulder shimmy, but not the entire line:

You guys all see Lenny's eyes get freaky as hell in the first few frames of the top image too, right?

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
Great episode. Of course now I have to wait another week. I just can't take that fat demon seriously anymore, though. I was watching him and it hit me. That thing looks an awful lot like The Human Thumb, Moma June. Now I'm terrified for other reasons.

freudorbison
Sep 5, 2011
A few observations:

This was the episode that really emphasized just how damaged the characters are - not just David, but Syd and Melanie as well. Syd's blindness in her longing for contact and Melanie's desperation to see Oliver again - to a point that she really doesn't try to stop David from going to D3.

The footage of David disposing of the security is one of the creepier things I've seen on TV lately. Especially when TYED infrared (?) footage plays.

I know that this is as far from MCU as you can get, but the astral plane thing has some potential for a Dr. Strange crossover (yeah, right)

That loving ending.

Overall, I used to think that First Class was the only X-Men thing that wasn't total garbage, yet this show is on a whole different level. Just wow.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I'm not a fan of horror in general, but I do like how this show approaches it. The use/lack of sound in the final scene was so clever, from Lenny's voice distorting and the gross 'kissing' effects to the sudden sting of The World's Angriest Boy in the World going past Syd.

Everything about this show is just so compelling, and it really is so varied without losing cohesion.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm absolutely into this show, but part of me is a bit disappointed they're only going with the one extra personality. I mean, he's bloody well called "legion" for a reason.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

I'm hoping that the others will start manifesting as the show goes on.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Nice to see a technobabble plot-device to go with the absurdly expository phonecall.

Neither of those things was needed.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wow. That episode.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

i liked everything about this episode except the silent part, which seemed forced to me (but i'm a oval office) although the sound editing coming out of that part was good.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Do you guys think there's any particular meaning to this show's fondness for embedding people in walls/floors or does Hawley just think it looks cool/disturbing?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean, it's a practical use of the power if you're an evil maniacal demon using it, plus it adds to the horror in a way that your standard power doesn't since we haven't been desensitized to it. It gives off a really weird vibe.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's been a trope ever since the Philadelphia Experiment movie that "something has gone terribly wrong" and "unnatural forces will gently caress your poo poo right up".

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

It's been used elsewhere to good effect, too. It's just a disturbing image.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'm absolutely into this show, but part of me is a bit disappointed they're only going with the one extra personality. I mean, he's bloody well called "legion" for a reason.

Remember that David heard voices telling him to not try and hang himself, and we've seen scenes where he's surrounded by people yelling at him.

I think they're in there, but the Shadow King has suppressed or scared them, or maybe even absorbed them which would be why he appears so fat.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

Do you guys think there's any particular meaning to this show's fondness for embedding people in walls/floors or does Hawley just think it looks cool/disturbing?

It's shorthand for "reality bending powers". The guy is so psychic that the laws of physics are malleable to him. He can control the fundamental forces of matter or overlap the physical and metaphysical or many other ways of describing the same thing: Reality bending.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
So I'm confused about the white room. Is it a physical space, where they can actually escape bullets and poo poo? Cause as it's presented at the beginning it's just a psychic mental space he shares with Syd via mind powers. Then they teleport there physically...which seems to make King a physical entity?

This show confuses me constantly. Not complaining.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 9, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I think we're about to find out, but Syd makes it seem like a physical projection, since she yells at him to go there, as bullets are flying towards them.

Either that, or it's a mental space with an Inception/dream-like time dilation where they can work to defeat the parasite in order for David to gather his bearings and stop the bullets in the physical realm.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 9, 2017

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Oh goddammit. I've never considered time dilation and it's effects while watching the show. That's a whole new, super rad, level.

Hmmm.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
So if it wasn't David who killed all the dudes, who was it? Is there a mutant that can pretend to be other mutants?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

fizzymercy posted:

This show confuses me constantly. Not complaining.

Agreed. Until Syd's ridiculously disturbing story about her "first time", I was really unsure how her powers work. I thought it was just swapping minds, which it is but apparently when she switches back the original bodies flip flop as well. Which makes that story all the more hosed up.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Woah, if she swapped with her mom mid-coitus with her mom's boyfriend, wouldn't she immediately swap bodies into her mom's boyfriend?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The body switching doesn't follow transitive rules.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

So if it wasn't David who killed all the dudes, who was it? Is there a mutant that can pretend to be other mutants?
It was David. What makes you think it wasn't?

David is extremely powerful. King, nominally a resident of the Astral Plane unable to come to Earth, detected that when he was very young or an infant and latched onto him. King wants to use David's powers for his own ends, and appears as a series of avatars to convince him to use his powers.

David wants to save his sister. King wanted to interrogate his sister to figure out where he came from. King convinces David to hit D3, helping exercise his powers when he needs them.

ufarn posted:

I think we're about to find out, but Syd makes it seem like a physical projection, since she yells at him to go there, as bullets are flying towards them.
We've seen both. Oliver's mind is separated from his body. David's mind was in the Astral plane too while his body was in the chair, but King-as-Lenny connived him into using his power to transport to the real word and bring his body along. When Syd and David were astrally projected, they came "back" as the weird ink and surfaced in the lake.

"Where are the bodies left" has multiple plot-convenient answers.

hatelull posted:

Agreed. Until Syd's ridiculously disturbing story about her "first time", I was really unsure how her powers work. I thought it was just swapping minds, which it is but apparently when she switches back the original bodies flip flop as well. Which makes that story all the more hosed up.
But that's how her power was depicted. She swapped with the Eye/Walter, David tells Syd's body to run and tackles Eye's body, they swap "back" and he's on top of her body with Walter standing where she had been.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Woah, if she swapped with her mom mid-coitus with her mom's boyfriend, wouldn't she immediately swap bodies into her mom's boyfriend?

My question is, what happens to the clothes? If he was, ahem, 'inside her' when she teleported back, and real Syd still had clothes on...

I can certainly understand why there would be lots of yelling.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

hatelull posted:

Well, they have shown that happening in action at least twice so far.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

Pokemaster #421 posted:

Christ that was some really disturbing use of sound when Lenny was sticking her tongue down David's throat at the house. It sounded like she was eating him and it made me physically cringe up like something was drilling into my brain. drat I love this show. The last part of this episode was incredibly drat freaky and awesome

I couldn't stop thinking that that *thing* has been with David since childhood. That so messed up. No wonder his memories are glitchy and half missing.

Here's hoping that next week they have to work with The Eye and we find out a bit more about him

n3wt fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 9, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

n3wt posted:

Here's hoping that next week they have to work with The Eye and we find out a bit more about him

Everyone he might have worked for has died a horrifying death, so I guess there's no reason for him not to help.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I think whatever came back from the astral plane in Ep4 wasn't quite David but a mixture of David and Lenny. Hence why he feels so confident with his power.

Then at the end of this episode we see them trying to split again or David realising that Lenny is TYED/King/Angry boy.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
me every week after this show: :f5h::staredog:

I audibly breathed "jesus christ" without meaning to when they showed the carnage SK/David left in their wake. Also my wife and I were already both going :stonklol: when Syd was relating that her first time was with her mother's boyfriend when she was 16 and then it got a million times worse.

I love this goddamn show.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 10, 2017

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
also he's legit disturbing but the entire time during SK's reveal at the end the only thing I could think is GIMME A HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUG

Probably wanted to make his face a little more malevolent there guys

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Part of me wonders if they're going for a twist with Oliver being the big bad. When Melanie was describing him, she said he "found a place he could control, where he was in charge" or something along those lines.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
That rear end though! Syd not David. Ok maybe both.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
If only Syd could swap with the Shadow King.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Ossipago posted:

If only Syd could swap with the Shadow King.

and then they swap back

:stonk:

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I really hope they delve more into the Eye next episode, he's oddly intriguing. I also have no idea what his actual powers are; it seemed like shapeshifting via hypnosis but might actually be actual shapeshifting but also hypnosis?

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Are you not paying attention? hes called Pretendo. wiki it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Sanschel posted:

I really hope they delve more into the Eye next episode, he's oddly intriguing. I also have no idea what his actual powers are; it seemed like shapeshifting via hypnosis but might actually be actual shapeshifting but also hypnosis?

I think he was able to disguise himself because he understood that it was a psychic projection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Is Black
Jan 6, 2007

Is there any chance the big bad this season isn't Shadow King?