Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Dawes was the OPA Mob Boss from Ceres. He and Miller had a back-and-forth kind of thing. Hence why he tells Holden he's just missing the hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Blind Rasputin posted:

Good scene where she mouthed off to the captain a bunch. She's ok. Its just still weird because in the books she was basically portrayed as looking and acting the same as Brienne of Tarth from GoT, and the power suits sounded more like fallout power armor. But she is doing a good job. This, overall, was a great episode.

I don't even remember who Dawes is, or why he matters?
Only brown and (in the eyes of Holden at least) conventionally attractive. How often do the books have to say that she has Polynesian ancestry before people pick up that she's a person of color?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Johnson meets Dawes in the short story “The Butcher of Anderson Station”, if anyone wants to read backstory.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Blind Rasputin posted:

Was that tuvok playing the medical officer?

You mean Thorson? He's naval intelligence. Also yes.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Good scene where she mouthed off to the captain a bunch. She's ok. Its just still weird because in the books she was basically portrayed as looking and acting the same as Brienne of Tarth from GoT, and the power suits sounded more like fallout power armor. But she is doing a good job. This, overall, was a great episode.

I don't even remember who Dawes is, or why he matters?

Huh? She's nothing like Brienne, beyond being literally a big strong woman. Brienne is described as ugly and socially awkward, is disliked and disrespected for breaking with gender norms, and always has her guard up as a result. Bobbie is described as a seven-foot beach bunny whose prowess is recognized and respected by her peers. Their baggage and motivation is totally different.

Bobbie's armor should be way bulkier, though.

Dawes is Ceres OPA. Julie was working for him, and he's been de facto running the place since Earth pulled out.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Dawes had a rather prominent part in the first season. How can you forget that?!

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Mars4523 posted:

Only brown and (in the eyes of Holden at least) conventionally attractive. How often do the books have to say that she has Polynesian ancestry before people pick up that she's a person of color?

As a Black person it erks me to high hell when people attribute Caucasian features to characters specifically written to be of color. Watch when The Way of Kings gets its turn, the Alethi will lose their tan.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 9, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Blind Rasputin posted:

Was that tuvok playing the medical officer?
The beginning intro with the blood snow (snow blood?) was so well done.

Nah, it's this guy: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0071680/?ref_=tt_cl_t12

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Oh yeah. Esteban Sorrento-Gillis and Sadavir Errinwright, the Secretary-General and Undersecretary of Executive Administration, the guys who get to launch nukes:

Not so white in the books.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Come on it's filmed in Toronto it's probably hard to get non-white actors there, what with it being by some measures the most diverse city in the world.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Things:
- Am I the only one who kinda hates Dawes? I'm sure Jared Harris is a great actor despite looking so much like Charlie Brooker - but he has the worst Belter accent in the show to me. I dunno, if it's the fact I can hear his real accent slipping through, or just that it sounds inconsistent and mumbly, but it really grates and distracts my brain.

- I hope this ep undeniably proved that Frankie Adams (Bobbie) can legit act, she just had really poo poo material for the first half of the season.

- Amos freaking out at the kid and talking to the sociopath about it seemed a little....iffy. Like overplayed versus the usual subtlety he brings?

- I hope Naomi gets her priorities straight, and that new fan favourite Drummer does not betray Fred Johnson while he is being reasonable. (Did she lock down the systems, do we think?)

Toast Museum posted:

Haha, they sure did.

I love that it's Amos's actor credit on that after he "fixed" the Martian flag.

ATP_Power posted:

The actor who plays Dawes is loving perfect, and I'm so happy they're using him more in the show than in the books.

One of my favorite little details that's not explicitly spelled out about Dawes and the Belters are the scars from the old vacuum suits on his collarbone he shows Miller when he's interrogating him, and how all the Belter collarbone tattoos (like the one Diogo got in this season) are emulating those scars that the old school OPA guys had from working with lovely equipment.
Ohhhhhh, that's quite cool. Kinda wish they WOULD spell that out.

Platystemon posted:

[a bunch of mp4s that somehow made Firefox use 70+% CPU on my fancy gaming PC]
Can't believe you didn't have the coolest shot - the PDCs popping out of the Roci!

Also I really liked that they included Alex having to radio in a request for docking release.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

They did spell that out in season one.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

VagueRant posted:

Things:
- Am I the only one who kinda hates Dawes? I'm sure Jared Harris is a great actor despite looking so much like Charlie Brooker - but he has the worst Belter accent in the show to me. I dunno, if it's the fact I can hear his real accent slipping through, or just that it sounds inconsistent and mumbly, but it really grates and distracts my brain.

- I hope Naomi gets her priorities straight, and that new fan favourite Drummer does not betray Fred Johnson while he is being reasonable. (Did she lock down the systems, do we think?)

I love Dawes and his pseudo Cajin accent.

It's kinda weird to me that Naomi hates Fred Johnson so much that she preferred floating aimlessly out in space rather than go to his station last season because of his OPA ties, but this episode she's glad that Dawes is running Ceres just because he's a belter, even though he's deeper into the OPA than anybody.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

VagueRant posted:

Things:

- Amos freaking out at the kid and talking to the sociopath about it seemed a little....iffy. Like overplayed versus the usual subtlety he brings?

Uh, Dawes actually has the best Belter accent (:colbert:), and Amos didn't freak out, he just froze a bit. We've seen crazy eye stare Amos before, it wasn't out of character.

counterfeitsaint posted:

It's kinda weird to me that Naomi hates Fred Johnson so much that she preferred floating aimlessly out in space rather than go to his station last season because of his OPA ties, but this episode she's glad that Dawes is running Ceres just because he's a belter, even though he's deeper into the OPA than anybody.

Yeah, 1st season Naomi did a nice job of laying new hints about and was consistent with Naomi's later book relationship/history with the OPA, this season's stuff (and lack of response/acknowledgement of a certain roll call name) kind of fucks that all up.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 9, 2017

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
The new, improved, and always included credits sequence is good.

The Thorssen actor was very good.

I personally liked the Amos/Cortazar interaction. I like the show invention of Cortazar and now his Dawes stuff. Greatly expanding on Dawes and getting that actor were very good show choices.

Acting was really solid, probably the best in a non-Miller episode.

Opening an airlock to a ship you just shot with no armor or EVA suits on was really, really dumb.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Number Ten Cocks posted:

The new, improved, and always included credits sequence is good.

The Thorssen actor was very good.

I personally liked the Amos/Cortazar interaction. I like the show invention of Cortazar and now his Dawes stuff. Greatly expanding on Dawes and getting that actor were very good show choices.

Acting was really solid, probably the best in a non-Miller episode.

Opening an airlock to a ship you just shot with no armor or EVA suits on was really, really dumb.

You'd think they'd at least have some cover, like stand anywhere in the room other than the middle right next to each other.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Next episodes sneak peak, Dawes declaims to Fred.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFuigZexdyY

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It seemed odd that fred nominated Dawes and gave him a platform to denounce him and gently caress him over.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Baronjutter posted:

It seemed odd that fred nominated Dawes and gave him a platform to denounce him and gently caress him over.

Dawes had a platform either way. He's effectively governor of the largest port in the Belt.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I'm scared that Amos is gonna get his brain microwaved, and pretty sure he's off wherever Cortazar is. That's the opposite of what you want, buddy!

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I'm scared that Amos is gonna get his brain microwaved, and pretty sure he's off wherever Cortazar is. That's the opposite of what you want, buddy!

Nah he's fine, probably handing out chicken soup to some people in need :unsmigghh:

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Bolow posted:

Nah he's fine, probably handing out chicken soup to some people in need :unsmigghh:

If Amos doesn't get to be in a Campbell's soup commercial by the end of this I'll be severely disappointed.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

He's probably following them on board or something. Or he's handing out extra supplies illegally. Either way Amos gonna Amos.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

VagueRant posted:

Can't believe you didn't have the coolest shot - the PDCs popping out of the Roci!

https://fat.gfycat.com/SolidWhiteInchworm.mp4

https://gfycat.com/RareBlandDartfrog

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Yeah, they literally had Martian marine armor right loving there 5 feet from them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The trick is to open the airlock on an empty room while your greeting party is entering through a new hole in the back of their ship.

Burgo
Jun 1, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

According to the podcast, Terry Chen as Prax is excellent, and hell, I believe it.

What podcast? Want to share the love?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Burgo posted:

What podcast? Want to share the love?

http://www.blastr.com/tags/churn

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I'm personally really enjoying the ways the show is substantially diverging from the books.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

It's fantastic and so well made. I feel like it's the true sci-fi successor to BSG.

I feel really lovely about improperly identifying Bobby as a buff blond caucasian when I read the books. Sorry about that thread. It's a weird and sobering feeling when you realize how much preconceived notions fill in the blanks on things. Like, I remember the whole first half of the book I thought Holden Caulfield was black.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Combat Pretzel posted:

Dawes had a rather prominent part in the first season the best accent on the show. How can you forget that?!
Fixed.

Also, I watched it on the Syfy app and there was no full intro. :(

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

There's no way Venus isn't currently being colonized by the Proto-thing. I'm most excited to see the exploration force on the planet they talked about a few episodes ago.

And no I haven't read the books, maybe it's just because I'm a veteran of early GOT threads and have PTSD from posters bitching about spoilers, but no I'm not saying any spoilers, there's just no way Eros ended there. That thing is going to explode and send blue particles everywhere.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Yeah, they literally had Martian marine armor right loving there 5 feet from them.

I just binged the first season, and every tense scene before leaving the ship has those loving suits in the background. It drives me bonkers.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

I have read the books and am also super hype about things happening in this show. Especially things related to Bobbie and being an angry ptsd martian on Earth.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
gonna be fun looking back on all the predictions when the thing that happens happens.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Blind Rasputin posted:

I feel really lovely about improperly identifying Bobby as a buff blond caucasian when I read the books.

To be fair she has an incredibly white name. I can't picture anyone named Draper as not being Jon Hamm anymore.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grand Fromage posted:

To be fair she has an incredibly white name.

“Roberta” is merely George Zimmerman level white.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Grand Fromage posted:

Three fucks in this episode, superb.

I may just be deaf but I don't remember hearing any of them (just some shits), can you throw me some timestamps? Worried us VOD types are somehow still getting the rebroadcast cuts. (Tho I did - for the first time this season! :mad: - at least get to see the full opening this time.)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bitprophet posted:

I may just be deaf but I don't remember hearing any of them (just some shits), can you throw me some timestamps? Worried us VOD types are somehow still getting the rebroadcast cuts. (Tho I did - for the first time this season! :mad: - at least get to see the full opening this time.)

I'll have to check my iTunes copy, but when I watched the broadcast I remember the "fucks" being censored in the least effective way imaginable. The one that stood out was Naomi said "loving" at some point, and they just dropped out a small part of the word in the voice track. So I got what sounded like "fuh--ing", which really doesn't censor it out.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Canadian broadcasts aren't censored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

flosofl posted:

I'll have to check my iTunes copy, but when I watched the broadcast I remember the "fucks" being censored in the least effective way imaginable. The one that stood out was Naomi said "loving" at some point, and they just dropped out a small part of the word in the voice track. So I got what sounded like "fuh--ing", which really doesn't censor it out.

At least for the premiere, the broadcast and VOD versions were both censored, but censored differently.

• Locked thread