Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
As well as LBW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i haven't played that one sorry

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Heh, everybody I quite like this Zelda game. Thanks for asking

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I'd say both are valid, really. It's not necessarily that visual novels have an advantage because of their graphics, it just allows for a different form of presentation than a standard novel will provide.

Yeah, both have their advantages. I just can't imagine someone successfully making something as amazing as this in a visual novel format.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

there's a lot of reasons to like it because it does some stuff extremely well

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
For example it purrs and eats lots of cake

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Do you ever get the green tunic in Breath of the Wild because if not I might actually die

I dyed some of my clothes green but it's just not the same

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah, both have their advantages. I just can't imagine someone successfully making something as amazing as this in a visual novel format.

What's the mystery? It says right there that fat cat is the one that took the cake. Seems like it's already solved to me!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Do you ever get the green tunic in Breath of the Wild because if not I might actually die

Yes. If you do all 120 shrines. Seriously.

That said, it's also pretty goddamn rad, going by the pictures in the guide: it's an updated, "rugged" version of the clothes worn by the original Link in the original Legend of Zelda manual, right down to having shorts so his legs are bare.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

Yes when you do all 120 shrines lol

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

That's cool, I'm gonna do it

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

CJacobs posted:

What's the mystery? It says right there that fat cat is the one that took the cake. Seems like it's already solved to me!
The myster is why? Cats lack sweet taste receptors.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Palpek posted:

What?! This is the most tragic thing I have heard all day so far.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

That's cool, I'm gonna do it

Yeah, me too. And BotW's version of the set is so rad that I'm extra motivated to get it, too.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Not gonna lie, the framerate drops in botw bug me a lot. I wanna play the hd remaster on the Switch U

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah for all that I hate weapon durability my only real complaints are climbing in the rain and the insane frame drops anywhere that isn't a big open field.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I love cats a lot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

Not gonna lie, the framerate drops in botw bug me a lot. I wanna play the hd remaster on the Switch U

I agree.

Honestly, the Switch, on paper, should be able to run BotW better than it does. I suspect its issues, even down to being only 900p instead of 1080p, are just down to it being a somewhat rushed port from Wii U to Switch. (Hell, even the way you switch weapons makes more sense if you think of how it might have worked if you had a touch screen in front of you all the time.) If I'm right about that, then they could theoretically even fix that with a future patch, not even a future hardware revision or a new console. I don't know if they would, but they probably could.

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah for all that I hate weapon durability my only real complaints are climbing in the rain and the insane frame drops anywhere that isn't a big open field.

They really should've made the Climber's Gear have special gloves/boots that let you cling to surfaces in the rain. Make it cost extra stamina, I don't care, just let me actually try.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Can't wait to play BotW when I actually get a Switch this summer for Spla2n. Probably would have bought it for the Wii U but Nier came out at like the same time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nier is really good. I need to find more time to play it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Palpek posted:

It took the cake to destroy it, because like all cats it's a selfish rear end in a top hat.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Palpek posted:

My dad's cat used to love vanilla pudding, though I suspect that was down to the milk inclusion more than anything. Mom and I finally convinced him to stop giving the cat pudding, though :v:

Monkey Fracas posted:

Can't wait to play BotW when I actually get a Switch this summer for Spla2n. Probably would have bought it for the Wii U but Nier came out at like the same time.

I'm probably going to intentionally leave it incomplete on the Wii U because I know I'm going to re-buy it on the Switch when I get one this summer like a spineless consumer slime. I'd like to know there's more for me to discover when I replay it, y'know?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sakurazuka posted:

I thought the robots were cooler to be honest. The worst change they made was making it so you didn't see the true final boss or a proper ending unless you beat it on hard. So like once for me.

That wasn't a change, you don't fight the real final boss in any version of Contra 3 unless you play on hard mode.

The Colonel posted:

Sam & Max Hit the Road: Keep a guide open because it has some of the most bizarre Lucasarts adventure game puzzles and it can get really tedious sometimes. Same with The Dig. No need to worry about this with Secret of Monkey Island, assuming you're playing Special Edition.

The puzzles in Sam & Max are nowhere near as obscure as Monkey Island.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I love Sam n Max hit the road. Playing it as a kid with my bestie and him getting a Soundblaster 16 card for his birthday and turning on the voice acting was a watershed moment.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I said come in! posted:

I love cats a lot.

See? There is good in everyone.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I worry about my cats probably more than is necessary. Still, I'm moving soon and they are not gonna like the change of location one bit at all.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

raditts posted:

That wasn't a change, you don't fight the real final boss in any version of Contra 3 unless you play on hard mode.

I thought you fought it on normal in the Japanese version at least. But it has been a long time.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

VideoGames posted:

I love Sam n Max hit the road. Playing it as a kid with my bestie and him getting a Soundblaster 16 card for his birthday and turning on the voice acting was a watershed moment.

Hit the Road is one of the games I'm really itching to get at.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I thought both Monkey Islands and Sam & Max were pretty doable puzzle-wise compared to some Sierra games. Sure that there was that one monkey wrench thing but it was possible to beat those games without a guide. Another thing entirely were those adventure games where you could screw your game by using up an item where it wasn't intended (King's Quest) or not picking up something important and irreversibly losing access to the area without the game ever informing you. Now that was some true bullshit.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 9, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
What's everyone's favorite sidekick in a video game? Mine is Barry from Alan Wake

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I love Sam and Max HTR because I also am fond of stupid old roadside attractions and try to see them whenever time permits. Game has an Americana feel to it for me

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

What's everyone's favorite sidekick in a video game? Mine is Barry from Alan Wake

Does the butler from Tomb Raider 3 count?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Macaluso posted:

I was gonna say this badass gal

but she's more of a costar than a sidekick.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

I was gonna say this badass gal

but she's more of a costar than a sidekick.

Sheva's bow is the best weapon in the game, so, yeah.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Snak posted:

Sheva's bow is the best weapon in the game, so, yeah.

:agreed:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Macaluso posted:

Rush.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

In King's Quest for example you needed to guess a gnome's name. That character is a refernce to Rumpelstiltskin (you have to know that on your own, the game doesn't include that name) but that's not the right answer.

In a totally different location in the game you can find a random message that says 'sometimes things are backwards' or something like that and if for some reason you connected that concept with the gnome's name you'd get Nikstlitslepumr...but that's also wrong.

The right answer is that instead of inverting the word itself you should have thought about inverting the alphabet and replace each A-Z letter with its Z-A counterpart so you'd get Ifnkovhgroghprm you big dummy!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sierra games were deliberately obtuse so they'd make money off you phoning the helpline.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the best sidekick is jetstream sam, who lives on in the blade raiden inherits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Palpek posted:

In King's Quest for example you needed to guess a gnome's name. That character is a refernce to Rumpelstiltskin (you have to know that on your own, the game doesn't include that name) but that's not the right answer.

In a totally different location in the game you can find a random message that says 'sometimes things are backwards' or something like that and if for some reason you connected that concept with the gnome's name you'd get Nikstlitslepumr...but that's also wrong.

The right answer is that instead of inverting the word itself you should have thought about inverting the alphabet and replace each A-Z letter with its Z-A counterpart so you'd get Ifnkovhgroghprm you big dummy!

Jesus Christ

• Locked thread