Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Beastie posted:

I didn't bring Switch to work today because we have a working lunch, but from the top of my head:

Throttle: I changed this to right trigger
Boost: Moved this from the right shoulder to B
Change Colors: changed from X to Left trigger
Tilt/lean: Shoulder buttons
Brake: A

I was on the fence about the left trigger. I changed it to brake but found I just don't brake very often and I wanted to be able to change boosts without taking my finger off the throttle.

The controls are really rear end-backwards and playing in handheld was kind of difficult. These made it much more tolerable. I'm still much better at the game with the pro.

I wish the game just had a test track or a single race so I could mess around with these without joining a tournament.

Unfortunately that wouldn't work for me. I have a lot of trouble using triggers and shoulders at the same time. For me it's one or the other. It's not a physical problem, more like a mental block

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I just read Metal Slug 3 can't be played with a joycon (you need the two of them together), can anyone confirm? That's pretty dumb if true!

I was hoping to get a Switch as a portable 2 player neogeo machine so this is kind of disappointing

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Oh man, I was doing a Google image search on the dock to get a better look at the rails (too lazy to walk upstairs and look at mine) and the number of images that had text "wondering" if the dock would have its own GPU for a better TV mode.... at their price tag for a dock, you would expect there to be one and usb-c has the data transfer rate to support an external gpu.... I'd pay $99 for a "Pro" dock with better gpu for TV mode. Though I can see issues going between TV mode and handheld mode with it not reverting properly to lower graphics or freezing.

But I really haven't seen enough slowdown in Zelda to complain really, the grass seems to be the biggest issue. NPCs don't cause slow down, nor do the flocks of Keese or having 8 Bokoblins on screen.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think a Metal Slug game has ever been ported to any system without messing it up to some degree. I remember the Wii collection mapped grenades to a motion gesture even though it has enough buttons.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Larrymer posted:

If you think about how it sits in the dock, I don't really see the difference for the vents. Isn't the inlet in the top? If it's a problem, it's nothing some time in the garage can't fix.

I'm pretty sure the fan exhaust is on top and the intake vents are on the back. They're centered pretty closely so it looks like the intake is being blocked.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

FireMrshlBill posted:

Oh man, I was doing a Google image search on the dock to get a better look at the rails (too lazy to walk upstairs and look at mine) and the number of images that had text "wondering" if the dock would have its own GPU for a better TV mode.... at their price tag for a dock, you would expect there to be one and usb-c has the data transfer rate to support an external gpu.... I'd pay $99 for a "Pro" dock with better gpu for TV mode. Though I can see issues going between TV mode and handheld mode with it not reverting properly to lower graphics or freezing.

But I really haven't seen enough slowdown in Zelda to complain really, the grass seems to be the biggest issue. NPCs don't cause slow down, nor do the flocks of Keese or having 8 Bokoblins on screen.

Knowing Nintendo that's probably it. the core concept is the instant switch and anything impeding that, like a delay to connect a second graphics card/load is vram and all that is against the core concept. So even at the cost of extra good graphics they wont do it.

Its like 50% artistic vision, 50% stubborn.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 9, 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Why would they sell a pro dock when you'll all buy the Switch Pro in two years anyway

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Why would they sell a pro dock when you'll all buy the Switch Pro in two years anyway

Switch lite.

Or if we are still reactionary to WiiU
NEW! Switch

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

FireMrshlBill posted:

They would have to design games to use that extra GPU dock, which they haven't and won't, because why spend money on that dev time for something the majority of your userbase won't have?

Not to mention the dock as-is retails for $90 (60 for the dock, 30 for the included AC adaptor), so you're kind of fooling yourself they'd toss another GPU in there for $99.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

They would have to design games to use that extra GPU dock, which they haven't and won't, because why spend money on that dev time for something the majority of your userbase won't have?

Not to mention the dock as-is retails for $90 (60 for the dock, 30 for the included AC adaptor), so you're kind of fooling yourself they'd toss another GPU in there for $99.

Oh I don't think they would, haha. I just think $90 for the current dock (with power supply) is insane and a $99 with a gpu integrated dock would be more palatable. I have no expectations of this happening at all, but just thought all the images with people assuming it had its own gpu was amusing and that I would be on board for it.

Plus, I would think of it on the same lines of the PS4 Pro when it comes to dual gpu development. Well, I guess it would be triple graphics settings: handheld, docked, Pro docked.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

You are probably right, I would buy a Pro Switch. I've held out on the PS4 Pro since I don't have a 4k tv (and am really hoping for a FF7 Remake Special Edition PS4 Pro).

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't think FF7 is gonna get a Pro Special Edition, but I fully expect Death Stranding to. That's what I'm waiting to pull the trigger for.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't think FF7 is gonna get a Pro Special Edition, but I fully expect Death Stranding to. That's what I'm waiting to pull the trigger for.

Japan gets special editions for like every game

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ya, I fear that is true, especially considering FF15 only got a special edition XB1 console that was a give-a-way prize. But I still have hopes. They'd definitely sell more Pro's if they did that seeing how that game has been in anticipation for over a decade since the PS3 tech demo.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Seems very thin considering Kojima choose the Decima engine which is the engine running Horizon: Zero Dawn.
Its a proprietary Guerrilla Games engine which is owned by Sony Interactive Entertainment,

I highly doubt Death Stranding will show up anywhere except for on a Sony system.

Edit: I'm also pretty sure Sony is footing some of the bill in order to once again have a Kojima exclusive. That poo poo should sell.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I want to buy Blaster Master Zero so it will be downloaded by the time I get home, and their site says it is available now, but I can't find a link anywhere to actually purchase it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

If anything, I hope they do something like the N64 where you bought the add on memory cart. :v: I don't think it would work hardware wise at all with the dock but it would be better than a full on replacement in 2-3 years time.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Bombadilillo posted:

I guess we are playing differently or using different weight cars, because I use the lean a lot and find it necessary not to hit the drat wall after the first couple of tracks. To the point where Don't want my accelerate anywhere near it.

I have toyed with remapping color change to L. But Ive gotten used to default so I will probably mess myself up at this point.

I'm still on the novice circuit and only have done the first 3 tournaments. So I guess once the difficulty ramps up I'll be utilizing the lean more. Once again, I wish I could do a time trial and just spend time messing with the controls.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

parallelodad posted:

I want to buy Blaster Master Zero so it will be downloaded by the time I get home, and their site says it is available now, but I can't find a link anywhere to actually purchase it.

While it says "released" I don't think the store has actually updated yet, otherwise there'd be a purchase link on the page.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

parallelodad posted:

It still isn't on the eShop yet anyway (in the US at least). Maybe in 20 minutes at noon e.s.t.?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I thought the eshop updated at 10 my time, must be 11.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Beastie posted:

I'm still on the novice circuit and only have done the first 3 tournaments. So I guess once the difficulty ramps up I'll be utilizing the lean more. Once again, I wish I could do a time trial and just spend time messing with the controls.

Oh yeah, there are just simply harder turns that require leaning coming soon.

On more general Fast chat. Does everyone else find that the other cars always get ahead of you at the start no matter what car you use? Then if you drive well you can always catch up. Its feels a bit arcadie, which isn't necessarily bad. Maybe I just haven't unlocked the better cars yet. I have a bit over half, but then Zelda happens.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I believe there is a Mario-Kart style boost if you time it right. I watched a coworker trigger it accidentally when I busted it out at lunch for the first time.

Edit: Yup

quote:

A single free boost is available at the start of each race; you can charge your ship's engine during the race's countdown by holding the A button, and if it's charged to the proper degree, then your ship will immediately receive a boost when the race begins. This is achieved by holding the A button starting midway through the countdown, when it reads "2". However, if the A button is held too early, then you will overcharge your ship's engine, and not only will your start-boost be lost but your ship will require a moment to recover before starting the race. Similarly, if the button is held too late, then you will lose your start-boost, albeit no penalty is gained for undercharging your ship's engine.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Beastie posted:

I believe there is a Mario-Kart style boost if you time it right. I watched a coworker trigger it accidentally when I busted it out at lunch for the first time.

Yeah, you hold down accelerate from mid 2. I get that boost and they still zoom ahead. Tried the fastest car I have unlocked, and the best acceleration and they still get me. I think the game is just designed for you to fight through the ranks every race.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Was looking if anyone reviewed Blaster Master yet, and Nintendo Life has, but I don't know what their reviews are generally like as I only ever heard of them while digging around for Switch news coming up on launch.

Seemed positive, if not particularly enthusiastic

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/switch-eshop/blaster_master_zero

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

Oh yeah, there are just simply harder turns that require leaning coming soon.

On more general Fast chat. Does everyone else find that the other cars always get ahead of you at the start no matter what car you use? Then if you drive well you can always catch up. Its feels a bit arcadie, which isn't necessarily bad. Maybe I just haven't unlocked the better cars yet. I have a bit over half, but then Zelda happens.

I think if you start the acceleration at 2 on the countdown you get the boost. But ya, they usually catch up after that until we hit corners and I can get ahead.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cerepol posted:

Seems very thin considering Kojima choose the Decima engine which is the engine running Horizon: Zero Dawn.
Its a proprietary Guerrilla Games engine which is owned by Sony Interactive Entertainment,

I highly doubt Death Stranding will show up anywhere except for on a Sony system.

Edit: I'm also pretty sure Sony is footing some of the bill in order to once again have a Kojima exclusive. That poo poo should sell.

Huh?... What even is this post?

All those reasons are exactly why it's going to get a PS4Pro special edition console. Nobody expects it to be anything other than a Sony exclusive because they've been very transparent about it being one.

Plus I expect it because MGS4 got a neato special edition PS3 back in the day.

I know DS isn't on FOX Engine, but I fully expect Kojima to pull some wonders off of Guerrilla's engine.

He's always engineered miracles, so to me, Death Stranding will be worth the upgrade.

But yeah, Nintendo Switch! I'm unsure if I wanna buy Blaster Master or not.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Huh?... What even is this post?

All those reasons are exactly why it's going to get a PS4Pro special edition console. Nobody expects it to be anything other than a Sony exclusive because they've been very transparent about it being one.

Plus I expect it because MGS4 got a neato special edition PS3 back in the day.

I know DS isn't on FOX Engine, but I fully expect Kojima to pull some wonders off of Guerrilla's engine.

He's always engineered miracles, so to me, Death Stranding will be worth the upgrade.

But yeah, Nintendo Switch! I'm unsure if I wanna buy Blaster Master or not.

Oh I misread the original post I thought he thought it was coming to the switch as we are in the switch thread and all that.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Blaster Master, 6 Neo Geo games and Voez are all on the eshop

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Edit: Hit quote instead of edit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FireMrshlBill posted:

Blaster Master, 6 Neo Geo games and Voez are all on the eshop

Does Voez have a demo?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I just read Metal Slug 3 can't be played with a joycon (you need the two of them together), can anyone confirm? That's pretty dumb if true!

no you can, its still dumb tho, you gotta manually go to the controller option in the home menu and manually separate joycon that way for the game to see 2 controllers.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Vikar Jerome posted:

no you can, its still dumb tho, you gotta manually go to the controller option in the home menu and manually separate joycon that way for the game to see 2 controllers.

Oh yeah Shovel Knight does this too for it co-op mode.

Makes sense it does support it, as I was looking at the store page and it does show a icon for two joycon and a tablet.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

parallelodad posted:

Does Voez have a demo?

I didn't see any but you can try it on iOS at least, it's free to play (ad supported) there. I'm trying it now to see if I want to pick it up. Seems pretty neat but maybe not for $25.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

I didn't see any but you can try it on iOS at least, it's free to play (ad supported) there. I'm trying it now to see if I want to pick it up. Seems pretty neat but maybe not for $25.

I've heard that's apparently far less than if you played the "free" version so I'm somewhat interested.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I am super down with Voez because I am a rhythm game junkie and the last Miku game didn't really do it for me. 25bux for 116 songs is pretty goddamn good all things considered.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Oh yeah I'm sure it's far cheaper to just buy it on the Switch outright and that's a good amount of music for the price, I'm just not sure how fun the actual gameplay is yet.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is it anything like Theatrhythm?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

At least Nintendo was a little bit more on point with their marketing this time around.

I, a person nerdy enough and into video games enough to post on the somethingawful.com Games forums, didn't know until like a year ago that the WiiU wasn't just some extra accessory for the Wii. By the time I was even interested in looking into getting one at some point, they were already end of life.

I do hope at least though that Super Mario 3D World is added to the Switch's library.

I camped out for a Wii, played a poo poo ton of games, and I didn't know what the Wii U was until 2014.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

parallelodad posted:

Does Voez have a demo?

Nothing that got loaded today has a demo, that I can see...

[edit]

What's the next big game for Switch? And when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Feenix posted:

Nothing that got loaded today has a demo, that I can see...

[edit]

What's the next big game for Switch? And when?

MK8, end of April

• Locked thread