Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Sakurazuka posted:

Sierra games were deliberately obtuse so they'd make money off you phoning the helpline.

If I remember right there was a puzzle in at least one of the games where you had to have the actual case of the game to solve it. There was a thing on a wall in a code that you needed to decipher and you couldn't actually decipher it with anything in game, you needed to look up the legend or something on the case or in the instruction book or whatever.

It's funny how prevalent things like that were back in the day. Not so much things trying to stop you from pirating games like that, but more things that are just like "why would I ever know that?". There's a part in Castlevania II where you have to like... hold down on the edge of a lake to make stairs appear to go down past the lake?? Like how would you ever know to do that? Perhaps one of the townsfolks said some weird cryptic poo poo that vaguely resembled doing that but who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i played freddy pharkus as a kid but never salmon max

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Macaluso posted:

What's everyone's favorite sidekick in a video game? Mine is Barry from Alan Wake

:negative:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Re: Visual Novel chat, if you want something like that but are allergic to anime, you can always try The 39 Steps on Steam, which is just a really nice adaptation of an old thriller novel and is quite good (I don't think there's any choices or anything like that).

gently caress that

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 9, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Palpek posted:

In King's Quest for example you needed to guess a gnome's name. That character is a refernce to Rumpelstiltskin (you have to know that on your own, the game doesn't include that name) but that's not the right answer.

In a totally different location in the game you can find a random message that says 'sometimes things are backwards' or something like that and if for some reason you connected that concept with the gnome's name you'd get Nikstlitslepumr...but that's also wrong.

The right answer is that instead of inverting the word itself you should have thought about inverting the alphabet and replace each A-Z letter with its Z-A counterpart so you'd get Ifnkovhgroghprm you big dummy!

Wikipedia posted:

In the episode of Batman "An Egg Grows in Gotham", Egghead uses Ghoti Oeuf as the name for his caviar [fish egg] business, and Batman explains the reference to Robin.

Robin:
"Ghoti" is "fish"?

Batman:
See here. English phonetics. GH becomes F, as in "tough" or "laugh". O becomes I as in "women". TI becomes SH as in "ration" or the word "nation".

Robin:
Holy semantics, Batman. You never cease to amaze me!

Batman:
No time for compliments, Robin. We must thwart some criminals. To the Batmobile!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

raditts posted:

The puzzles in Sam & Max are nowhere near as obscure as Monkey Island.

yeah, but that doesn't really matter if you're playing special edition because special edition just has a button that gives you hints and if you press it a few times it'll just straight-up tell you what to do

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Macaluso posted:

What's everyone's favorite sidekick in a video game? Mine is Barry from Alan Wake

Larry Foulke

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Best sidekick is easily Sully in Uncharted.

Zeke in Infamous also rules, but you really need to play both 1 and 2 to get the full effect m

I also really Issun in Okami but everyone else seems to hate him.

Midna is also pretty good and probably I've of the better parts of TP (though the internet has done it's best to ruin that)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lobok posted:

Robin:
"Ghoti" is "fish"?

Batman:
See here. English phonetics. GH becomes F, as in "tough" or "laugh". O becomes I as in "women". TI becomes SH as in "ration" or the word "nation".

Robin:
Holy semantics, Batman. You never cease to amaze me!

Batman:
No time for compliments, Robin. We must thwart some criminals. To the Batmobile!
Yeah, you'd have to be Batman to solve some Sierra puzzles.

Another one in King's Quest (can't remember which one) involved a gold coin. You'd find a gold coin and there was a shop with an item that would let you solve a puzzle. The game would let you use the gold coin to buy it, pretty straightforward, right?

Except you just got owned sucka because it turns out that the item can obtained from the shop in a different way later on and then much further into the game you have to bribe somebody with the precious gold coin that you spent in the shop hours earlier and now (considering that you actually came to the conclusion that the game in unwinnable) you have to restart the game. The mechanic of buying an item in the shop existsts solely for the purpose of loving the player over.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 9, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

why did people play these games

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sierra adventure games were loving bad.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

why did people play these games

They didn't know any better and they were really pretty for the time.

Also obligatory
http://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/77.html

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So I gotta be real: I think with the exception of Yooka and Laylee themselves, the character designs in that game are awful. Every time they show off a new character art, it always looks really ugly. Maybe that's intentional? The villain doesn't look TOO bad and the minecart guy looks alright but like that duck thing? The octopus girl? The little blue minion guys? This weird tree thing they showed on twitter today?

Like I dunno, maybe just me but I think a lot of the character designs in the game look very unappealing. Hopefully the gameplay ends up being really good though

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I hate the bat's nose and I'd have to be sold pretty hard on everything else in the game to make me play it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's not just you, Yooka Laylee is an incredibly ugly game

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

Yeah, you'd have to be Batman to solve some Sierra puzzles.

Another one in King's Quest (can't remember which one) involved a gold coin. You'd find a gold coin and there was a shop with an item that would let you solve a puzzle. The game would let you use the gold coing to buy it, pretty straightforward, right?

Except you just got owned sucka because it turns out that the item can obtained from the shop in a different way later on and then much further into the game you have to bribe somebody with the precious gold coin that you spent in the shop hours earlier and now (considering that you actually came to the conclusion that the game in unwinnable) you have to restart the game. The mechanic of buying an item in the shop existsts solely for the purpose of loving the player over.

I think in KQ6 there's a dog you need to distract and two items will do it. One you need to use in a later puzzle and one you're actually supposed to use and of course if you use the former, the game is unbeatable with no indication that this is the case.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

The hideous character designs are how you know it's really made by rare employees.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Macaluso posted:

So I gotta be real: I think with the exception of Yooka and Laylee themselves, the character designs in that game are awful.

wait those are your exceptions really

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

It's not just you, Yooka Laylee is an incredibly ugly game

The trouble is that Banjo Kazooie also had a really ugly art style (hell, look at all modern games that feature the characters) but that is easier to shrug off because it's a N64 game. They seem to be going for the same thing here but now they could do so much better

Still gonna play the hell out of it when it comes out.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

oddium posted:

wait those are your exceptions really

I think Yooka and Laylee look fine, Yooka mostly. The rest on the other hand

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Can't wait for the resurgence of off-brand mascot 3D platformers :smithicide:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm not sure which is worse, yooka-laylee having a pretty-looking world but really ugly designs, or a hat in time having some decent character designs but looking kind of cheap and ugly otherwise

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

GAR-FIIIEEELD!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm real excited for A Hat In Time, whereas I have seen basically no gameplay footage or anything of Yooka Laylee, the only thing I know about it is that it's ugly as sin :/

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I haven't been following Yooka Laylee is the actual platforming fun because that's all I really care about

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Macaluso posted:

What the gently caress even

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Spongebob got weird.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

I haven't been following Yooka Laylee is the actual platforming fun because that's all I really care about

Yes, it appears to pretty much be Banjo Threeie

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Best sidekick is Morte from planescape.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

The Rumplestiltskin puzzle is at least optional, if you can't guess his hosed up name in three tries you can take an alternate route to the cloud/mountain area and you'll just miss getting a perfect score. It's no deadly snake that you need to randomly throw a bridle you got from a genie on to transform into a flying horse so it'll give you a sugar cube that will protect you from poisonous brambles you need to cross later on. Or the classic throw a boot at a cat chasing a mouse in a timeframe of a second or two else you leave the game in an unwinnable state when you enter a random inn and get tied up by a bunch of bandits! Or my favorite from another Sierra adventure game Gold Rush: While traveling by ship you can randomly get a disease and die or the ship will randomly sink and you die and the game will literally tell you "There was nothing you could've done!" The only way to survive is to load a save before getting on the ship and hope the RNG won't kill you next time.

Sierra games except Quest for Glory are all rear end in a top hat games. QfG is good.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Scrublord Prime posted:

The Rumplestiltskin puzzle is at least optional, if you can't guess his hosed up name in three tries you can take an alternate route to the cloud/mountain area and you'll just miss getting a perfect score. It's no deadly snake that you need to randomly throw a bridle you got from a genie on to transform into a flying horse so it'll give you a sugar cube that will protect you from poisonous brambles you need to cross later on. Or the classic throw a boot at a cat chasing a mouse in a timeframe of a second or two else you leave the game in an unwinnable state when you enter a random inn and get tied up by a bunch of bandits! Or my favorite from another Sierra adventure game Gold Rush: While traveling by ship you can randomly get a disease and die or the ship will randomly sink and you die and the game will literally tell you "There was nothing you could've done!" The only way to survive is to load a save before getting on the ship and hope the RNG won't kill you next time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4tmzwrdTmY

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Scrublord Prime posted:

Sierra games except Quest for Glory are all rear end in a top hat games. QfG is good.

Some of the Space Quest games were good too. I beat at least two of them without manuals. They also had the added benefit of being fun.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

What's the mystery? It says right there that fat cat is the one that took the cake. Seems like it's already solved to me!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Macaluso posted:

That tonic machine t h I c c

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

E: double post, sorry

Serf
May 5, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I'm real excited for A Hat In Time, whereas I have seen basically no gameplay footage or anything of Yooka Laylee, the only thing I know about it is that it's ugly as sin :/

I backed A Hat in Time way back in the day and have forgotten about it multiple times, but each time I am reminded of it I get excited. Can't wait to play it eventually.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Macaluso posted:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like the snake's design in yooka laylee

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

This scene was like half of what came out of my mouth in highschool

Psychochopper!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Spoderman posted:

Some of the Space Quest games were good too. I beat at least two of them without manuals. They also had the added benefit of being fun.

SQ3 has a cool theme and was fun, when I was a kid the second disk got hosed up so I could only watch the intro and I watched the hell out of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNbXTKuObCQ

SQ5 is probably the best SQ for being a fun space adventure with something resembling a plot. Those two were good Sierra games, I don't remember any cheap poo poo like in KQ or Gold Rush in them either.

• Locked thread