Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I think there's equal amount of value in creating realism via animation, or using it in ways that live-action couldn't possibly replicate.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Endorph posted:

i disagree, but then 'not really having context for it'

again dude, it's cool if you don't like euphonium. a lot of people did. it did some amazing things with the medium and was directed exceptionally well. those two things are pretty much objective fact, considering how many awards the director has won and how many people in the industry have praised her. if it didn't do anything for you personally, that's fine. you don't need to act like people are overrating it or that everyone will forget about it in a year, especially when there actually isn't that much praise for it in western anime fandom (or even jp anime fandom, a lot of the praise for it seems to be actual animators) to begin with. You can just say you didn't enjoy it.

The fact that it wasn't really praised heavily by apparently either fandom should in itself disprove that being "objective fact." And I'm not even saying I flat out didn't enjoy it, and I'm definitely not even going to try to argue that it didn't look fantastic. Just that I dropped it for not really seeming as inspired as a lot of other things KyoAni has put out.

Endorph posted:

haruhi does next to nothing for me and disappearance is the only part of it i enjoyed but im not gonna deny how influential it was or that it deserves to be remembered

And I flat out hate both Eva and Mushishi, and yet I hold those in the same regard. It's not as though I'm incapable of understanding a show did things really well and i just didn't like it, i just think in this case KyoAni should be held to a higher standard because they can clearly do and have done better.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

euphonium is the second best thing ever made by human hands and no anime past, present, or future, will ever even compete with it at all. there is no standard by which other anime can compare to it. death to infidels.

best is melty blood btw

RME
Feb 20, 2012

god bless melty blood players tbh

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I thought Euphonium was fantastic. I can understand not liking it if it's simply not your cup of tea, but criticizing, of all possible things, the directing just boggles my mind. I mean I'm a Big Shinbo Fan, but Yamada and Ishihara put Eupho together so drat well, Yamada got so much warmth into those characters . . .

What I'm trying to say here is, Nichijou season 2 when?

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

AnoHito posted:

It's not as though I'm incapable of understanding a show did things really well and i just didn't like it, i just think in this case KyoAni should be held to a higher standard because they can clearly do and have done better.

I agree with your earlier post in that the characters and plot are fairly dull. However, my main source of enjoyment from the show was the animation style and directing and how they were used; with the exceptions of Disappearance and Nichijou, I think that Euphonium has made the best use of Kyoani animation techniques yet.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's weird to say it's any less inspired than anything kyoani has made when all of the stuff who've ever been interviewed about making it are ridiculously into it and naoko yamada in general is one of the most inspired directors at kyoani, so much so that even her weakest, most awkwardly put together show has some really interesting concepts tying it together that still manage to produce some great episodes in a show i'm not even really a big fan of

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Endorph posted:

haruhi does next to nothing for me and disappearance is the only part of it i enjoyed but im not gonna deny how influential it was or that it deserves to be remembered
I first praised Bakemonogatari for being a massive 'gently caress you' to Haruhi and all it stood for when I got into it 5 years ago. It blew the water out of the park back in 2009 and it will continue to do so as long as Nisio Isin lives (Monogatari Timeskip Sequels are and will continue to be a thing)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Grouchio posted:

I first praised Bakemonogatari for being a massive 'gently caress you' to Haruhi and all it stood for when I got into it 5 years ago.

how do you figure

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

how do you figure

please don't try to understand grouchio's logic

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Colonel posted:

i have a great deal more curiosity than regrets stemming from curiosity

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

how do you figure
1. I have a faint memory of why Haruhi, Miyu and others pale in comparison to whatever Hitagi does in season 1, as well as the rest of the ensemble.
2. Bake came out at exactly the same time as the dreaded Endless Eight season in Summer 2009 which sparked the latter's 'deader than disco' phase.
3. It had a lot of staying power (Shaft's animation style and abstract arts, real fanservice, deep intellectual and non-intellectual themes, etc) compared to Haruhi.
4. Nisemono did not discourage my enthusiasm for the series at all; Second Season might have only because of how I saw it when it came out rather than back to back. I stayed clear of Dissapearence and Endless Eight on the other hand.

quote:

And I am curious of your continuous antagonism towards my logic.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
ACCA ACCA ACCA ACCA

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

ACCA ACCA ACCA ACCA

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

:shittypop:

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
LWA is good and chill

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Newest episode was pretty bad, though.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga8APtGhFys

this youtube guy (i don't know who he is and don't care, please dont start on anime youtubers or whatev) interviewed imaishi and yoshinari. its not a great interview, but theres some fun tidbits in there like yoshinari's first work being for.... motorcycle gangs

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/kisechii/status/839511596535689217

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
magus bride and zaregoto are real good OVAs, and I'm glad at least the former is on CR so I'm not waiting twelve years for subs!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I got loving owned

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

:yeah:

I'm glad this is happening.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Finally. I've been holding back on the ova because there was nothing else in sight, but I'll try to watch it now.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

why? it's a fantastic drama with great characters. if you don't like it that's one thing but dismissing it out of hand seems weird.

Endorph posted:

seriously if you don't like it, that's cool, just say 'i didn't like it' instead of trying to argue with people who did like it.

i feel like i'm missing something here

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, that i am the best poster on these godforsaken forums.

ancient magus bride is good

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I really should go and read more of it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

AnoHito posted:

That is a good scene, yes. There's a lot of good things I could easily point out not even really having context for it, and if I was watching along as it aired, I probably would have applauded it. But it's not that special. There's easily like dozens of better scenes in Haruhi. The concert scene in K-On (I should really watch Linda Linda Linda) was probably better too, and scenes like that weren't even the point of K-On.

Also, if I'm going to do that thing I've been doing of being overly critical, it honestly feels about 3 minutes too long, imo. I feel like I got the point 4-5 minutes in and it just decided it had to keep going and doing more or less the same thing it did for the first half of the scene.

K-on is the best

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Davincie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga8APtGhFys

this youtube guy (i don't know who he is and don't care, please dont start on anime youtubers or whatev) interviewed imaishi and yoshinari. its not a great interview, but theres some fun tidbits in there like yoshinari's first work being for.... motorcycle gangs

He's a gamegrump

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Namtab posted:

K-on is the best

and Yui is sticky

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

and Yui is sticky

Rude

E: nice work remembering that though, it was a good joke

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

Endorph posted:

why? it's a fantastic drama with great characters. if you don't like it that's one thing but dismissing it out of hand seems weird.

Struck me as really boring and while K-On was filled with references to music I like and played music I liked I wasn't interested in anything the characters in Euphonium were doing.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Idk if anyone is still watching it, but I was pretty sure nothing would top last week's Akiba's Trip but this week pretty much did it.
All the bullying and ignoring of Mayo up to this point was worth it if this was the payoff :colbert:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nothing can top an episode of akiba's trip aside from an episode of any halfway decent show

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

season 2 of osomatsu just got leaked... apparently the third bullet point is a ticket for a season 2 announcement event

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
I haven't watched any Bang Dream, but decided to check out how the bands perform live since there is a concert for Bushiroad's 10th anniversary at the end of April. They're pretty drat good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWmdKhEqFio

And some bonus Haruhi since the last page has been all about kyoani.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMa1qgPKWnU

Maybe I'll check out the anime when the game comes out.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It's solid. Starts off pretty slow, but I've really liked the character work in the last few eps and there haven't been any real missteps besides some pacing issues. Pretty nice looking show too.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

AnoHito posted:

The fact that it wasn't really praised heavily by apparently either fandom should in itself disprove that being "objective fact." And I'm not even saying I flat out didn't enjoy it, and I'm definitely not even going to try to argue that it didn't look fantastic. Just that I dropped it for not really seeming as inspired as a lot of other things KyoAni has put out.

It's really weird to me that something like Euphonium is considered "not as inspired" as stuff like Chuu2, KnK, or Phantom World. And I'm saying this as an unabashed Kyoani superfan.

Like, did I miss a bunch of other technically impressive shows about high school band drama along the way somewhere? Because it seemed like a pretty unique twist on the usual high school setting to me, and definitely a higher bar than a fair number of Kyoani's other shows at the time.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

S2 struggled pretty hard to justify existing. Shoulda been a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

And I really don't think it can be understated just how well the show nails the mental and emotional experience of high school band nerds. There's not a detail in the show that feels wrong to me - all the routines of practices and camps and performances are all incredibly well realized, and the various personality types and complexes and drama that the show evokes all have close parallels in my own experiences. I can't really emphasize enough how much of my teenage self I personally saw in Reina - a distant, socially awkward, technically proficient child whose ideas of self-worth and expression were tied to the music in a multitude of ways, some healthy and others less so. I know a lot of other people who feel similarly about the show echoing very personal memories with a lot of skill and compassion and intelligence. That's why it resonates so strongly with some people, IMO, and why it deserves to be remembered.

• Locked thread