Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Xelkelvos posted:

Get hype.

I'm glad they're starting things off with two of the chefs on the Rebel side that haven't been shown cooking in a proper battle. Sure they're facing two mystery chefs who may well have shown up previously and otherwise get wrecked, but who knows? Obviously the most dramatic finish will be a final 3v3 or 1v1 or something with everyone else defeated and it all coming down to the line, but this manga has defied expectations at times.

I'm guessing based on her name, Kinokuni has something to do with books like she's mentally archived a library's worth of recipes or something so her cooking is largely conventional but multi-faceted as compared to the spontaneous Souma who writes his own recipes as he goes along

We haven't seen anyone but the main three plus Mimasaka in an actual cooking battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

nice syoko hoshi reference

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Who the hell is the big dude competing?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Crazyeyes posted:

On the Rebels' side? It's the former 3rd Seat, Tosuke Megishima. We literally know nothing about the guy beyond that...
  • He has cool taste in hats
  • He didn't vote for Azami
  • He was Third Place at the Moon Banquet (Which now that I think about it, it's like Tootsuki's version of a Food Truck fest)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Wark Say posted:

On the Rebels' side? It's the former 3rd Seat, Tosuke Megishima. We literally know nothing about the guy beyond that...
  • He was Third Place at the Moon Banquet (Which now that I think about it, it's like Tootsuki's version of a Food Truck fest)

His specialty may or may not be ramen

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I am INTO THIS

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

His specialty may or may not be ramen

GOnna make a bold prediction here and say his specialty is jobbing.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Crazyeyes posted:

That's Beaniedude.

I know, right?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Wark Say posted:

You forgot:

[*] Looks like a young Sylvester Stallone.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

GOnna make a bold prediction here and say his specialty is jobbing.

Of all people who I'd think would get jobbed in this first match on the Rebels' side, I'd actually expect (read: prefer to see) Souma and possibly Isshiki. I'd equally likely suspect a full slaughter of the Central side on the first round before the Rebels' themselves take losses.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I don't suspect Soma will lose here, but I suspect he will lose at a critical juncture for dramatic purposes only for Erina to "save" the team.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Of all people who I'd think would get jobbed in this first match on the Rebels' side, I'd actually expect (read: prefer to see) Souma and possibly Isshiki. I'd equally likely suspect a full slaughter of the Central side on the first round before the Rebels' themselves take losses.

If Soma loses he's out so that's not happening.

The endgame for this is likely some combination of him and Erina against Eishi and Rindou so I would expect the people to be knocked out between rounds to go towards facilitating that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Round 1 is going to the Rebels, Round 2 goes to Central and Round 3 is so culinarily amazing that the assembled audience is going to be loosing their clothes just off the smells of the cooking.

Round 3 is going to be Soma, Erina, and hopefully Megumi.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That's Beaniedude.

I know, right?

Chullos are super rad.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Gyges posted:

Round 1 is going to the Rebels, Round 2 goes to Central and Round 3 is so culinarily amazing that the assembled audience is going to be loosing their clothes just off the smells of the cooking.

Round 3 is going to be Soma, Erina, and hopefully Megumi.

I suspect the way they're going to avoid directly having the Elite 10 members put over the Rebels is by focusing on the lack of teamwork - you can easily handwave Eishi getting beaten because an inability to work with others is legitimately the only character trait we know about him. Eizan is an rear end in a top hat who is overly focused on getting revenge on Soma, so that might ruin his ability to work as a team, and Lolibeargirl doesn't even specialize in a thing that meshes with anyone else on her team.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Actually, I hope Round 3 is 100% team Polar Star, no honorary members.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gyges posted:

Actually, I hope Round 3 is 100% team Polar Star, no honorary members.

So Souma, Erina, Isshiki, and Megumi then?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

The endgame for this is likely some combination of him and Erina against Eishi and Rindou so I would expect the people to be knocked out between rounds to go towards facilitating that.

Like I said, it'd be equally (and actually probably very much so) likely that the Rebels start with a clean sweep and send Central down to 5 after the first round with at least one more victory in the second round to put Central at either 3 or 4 with the Rebels then at 7 or 6, respectively. Third round is definitely where there's be another sweep by Central with either two or three victories since that seems like the appropriate dramatic timing. Tsukasa mopping up a bunch of the Rebel team also seems like it'll happen. Like it comes down to Rindou and Tsukasa and they just whittle the Rebels down to two or three in a series of matches with Rindou then losing but the Rebels also going down to one.

Even though Souma is the main character, I really expect him to be out before the end and Erina being one of the last left. It seems much more appropriate for this arc for her to be the last one standing and defending her new friends and Saiba as well as defeat Central and, in a way, her father. As for who she'd face, I couldn't really say outside of Tsukasa unless they reveal something more appropriately dramatic to set up someone better suited for a final opponent.

The brainwashed announcer and audience also reminds me of something I've seen in another anime or manga somewhere, but I can't put my finger on it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If it comes down to just one person, you want that person to be Megumi.

Also I forgot how the Team Shokugeki worked and was thinking it was just 3 rounds of 3X3.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

The only thing we know about Eishi is that his teamwork sucks so that's obviously going to play into the final round.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I am excited to see naked apron unleash his full power.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Rindou's supposed to be secretly better than Eishi, who has an obvious massive weakness for this particular competition, so she could wind up the final boss of the arc pretty easily.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Rindou's supposed to be secretly better than Eishi, who has an obvious massive weakness for this particular competition, so she could wind up the final boss of the arc pretty easily.

Wait, what? When was that implied?

Also I fully expect the final match to be Erina and Soma vs those two.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Xelkelvos posted:

The brainwashed announcer and audience also reminds me of something I've seen in another anime or manga somewhere, but I can't put my finger on it.

It reminded me of Assassination Classroom with the headmaster's education brainwash.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Overlord K posted:

Wait, what? When was that implied?

Also I fully expect the final match to be Erina and Soma vs those two.

That side story with them implied really strongly Rindou's just content to let Eishi take the 1st seat while she sits comfortably in second even though she's capable of a lot more, and we just saw a flashback where that was the case with another second seat.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
...side story?!

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

it's like 5 pages long and is about Rindou playing hooky

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

...side story?!

http://mangapark.me/manga/shokugeki-no-soma/s5/c180.2/2

It's this

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

TheKingofSprings posted:

That side story with them implied really strongly Rindou's just content to let Eishi take the 1st seat while she sits comfortably in second even though she's capable of a lot more, and we just saw a flashback where that was the case with another second seat.

The side story just states that Rindou decided not to try and take the first seat, not that she could make it if she wanted.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kuroyama posted:

The side story just states that Rindou decided not to try and take the first seat, not that she could make it if she wanted.

It states she's not going for it because she knows Eishi wants it.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Oh, that little side thing. That doesn't really make me think she's secretly better than him or imply that she could take it from him though. If there were any hints of that it'd have been mentioned by someone directly by now I'd think.

Also, I liked how Hayama is already knocked right back down to the goof squad with Alice and Ryou. I'm glad he's back in the social circle I enjoy him in already :allears:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm really glad that this chapter opened up with the reassurance that Alice is still Alice. Not like the rest of the herd who got all messed up from the bullshit.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gyges posted:

I'm really glad that this chapter opened up with the reassurance that Alice is still Alice. Not like the rest of the herd who got all messed up from the bullshit.

Same.

Alice being the only one energetic enough to fight for their right to watch the competition and determined enough to cheer her gloomy companions (though Ryo is naturally like that in his normal state I guess) proves why she is Best Character.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It is true that Eishi is not really a good fit for this type of match however. He is a perfectionist and refuses to have any help with making his food cause he is afraid someone will somehow mess it up.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

It is true that Eishi is not really a good fit for this type of match however. He is a perfectionist and refuses to have any help with making his food cause he is afraid someone will somehow mess it up.

Well, he did accept Souma's help that one time.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheKingofSprings posted:

Well, he did accept Souma's help that one time.

I forgot about that. When was that again.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I forgot about that. When was that again.

It was when Eishi taught a class after the club survival cook-offs and before Erina told Souma her backstory.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
basically he could never, ever succeed in a match like the one that the polar star folks recently did for training.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm sure he's okay at giving orders for people to follow, but I'd imagine this will end with something like "this match was actually 3 on 1 because your two helpers didn't add their own input."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
God I'm kinda reskimming through and I think the Central club-stomping arc might actually be the worst arc in the series.

It's that or Souma vs. Hayama round three.