Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

if he did beat wall street how come there's still an awful lot of wall street in his cabinet and that wall street rejoiced at the announcement of his election? mmm?

Spunky meant he "beat them off" as in, going out of his way to please them at every step of the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Maybe if Americans had to actually face the consequences of our rampant and wasteful consumerism, we might be inclined to tone it down

America? Consequences? lmbo

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Now we can dump toxic waste into our water MAGA!!

So you'd rather dump toxic waste into poor villagers water? I mean, you guys are demented

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fog Tripper posted:

List of things trump has done that has affected SA posters:
- Rounded you up if you were a criminal in the country illegally
- Said that one should poo in the bathroom designated by your birth gender

*135 page thread explodes with handwringing*

What if I have a relative who works in the rare earth metals mining industry and the stuff that would have protected them from exposure as per Obama's DoL rule is no longer happening because "no new regulations lol" and they get health repercussions from that?

?

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

So you'd rather dump toxic waste into poor villagers water? I mean, you guys are demented

Orrrrrrrrrrr you just fine companies doing that overseas and not allow that here, shocking proposal I know.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
out of sight out of mind

it's the same philosophy that made things like obama's drone war so ignorable was that no matter the circumstances there was never american corpses coming back over

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Maybe if Americans had to actually face the consequences of our rampant and wasteful consumerism, we might be inclined to tone it down

like maybe if people actually faced health consequences of their rampant consumerism they would tone it down?

nope, not buying this

Americans will wastefully consume until their last breath because its the American dream

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
Spunky's goal of destroying the standard of living for everyone but the billionaire class is revealed.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Orrrrrrrrrrr you just fine companies doing that overseas and not allow that here, shocking proposal I know.

This makes no sense. We shouldn't be dumping toxic waste in the rivers right

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i dunno where we should put toxic waste but i think the last page or so of spunky's posting definitely belongs there

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
But Trump didn't commit sedition on purpose. He is just dumb and doesn't understand how things work. You can't really blame him for that.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

NotWearingPants posted:

But Trump didn't commit sedition on purpose. He is just dumb and doesn't understand how things work. You can't really blame him for that.

Look, what I learned from Spunky is that Trump is actually a genius playing 3524th dimensional chess and you're just jealous and petty because you didn't inherit billions of dollars, connections and a team of people to do everything for you, you just hate success.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
now that the most powerful person in the US is a retard figurehead, we can finally have democratic institutions decide the important stuff

wait what do you mean the republicans own the senate & state legislatures lmao

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
The fear mongering in this thread is thick.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Americans will wastefully consume until their last breath because its the American dream

like I'm here in some offices in TN for the week and they just brought sandwiches for lunch.

it's literally 12+ slices of meat between 2 slices of bread. WTF since when there's more meat than bread in a sandwich? I'm telling you, wastefully consuming resources is just part of the American DNA

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Krustic posted:

The fear mongering in this thread is thick.

Enjoy your toxic water

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
No, no, American companies don't set up factories overseas for slave labor or no environmental protections. That's crazy

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Enjoy your toxic water

I already am.
You're no better than the people who said that Obama will round up everyone into FEMA camps for refusing vaccines. It's pathetic.

Krustic fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 9, 2017

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

No, no, American companies don't set up factories overseas for slave labor or no environmental protections. That's crazy

They do, and they shouldn't and we should have regulations against that, not do it in our own backyard, you complete moron.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Mordor She Wrote posted:

They do, and they shouldn't and we should have regulations against that, not do it in our own backyard, you complete moron.

It should be regulated by us in our own backyard, yes

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Democrats are to blame for letting this all become reality with hardly a finger raised in meaningful opposition. The Senate confirmation voting records tell you all you need to know about the effectiveness of the two party system.

In other old news,

Bernie would have won!

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Fog Tripper posted:

Has anything about his presidency actually effected anything in your life beyond your feefees and attempted internet burns?

If one should only worry about things that affect them directly, why have you put five pages of posts in this thread vehemently defending Trump?

Are you literally Trump?

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Americans invented consumerism! High natural resources, low priority for where those products ended up.

And stop hating on consumerism! Consumerism is good! In this transition to a post-labour economy, it is necessary to saturate the market with consumer goods and the people to sell them. Think about it, really: we are absolutely overloaded with labour potential. Whoever keeps the price of unskilled labour at its current price is a genious. Because it's not worth a drat anymore. Regular people need jobs to earn money, and you can't just give people money, you have to give them a reason to get up in the morning.

The point is, we need to move capital from the big CEO bosses to the regular person. Which we did, with superannuation funds. So we're on track, financially.

The only issue, as you said, it the wastefulness of it. As a chemical engineer, I can personally guarantee that you can make any chemical you want: petrol, ibuprofen, aspirin, Prozac...you can make it all from base liquids easily obtainable from nature. A little bit of processing, and you have the equivalent of crude-oil derivative. The issue is energy. And, in terms of arable land for resource crops, or solar panels, the USA is in a prime position, and yet is well overpopulated and has far more demand than its own lands are able to satisfy.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

quote:

Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) and 23 Republican co-sponsors introduced a resolution that would overturn new privacy rules for internet service providers.
"If the Federal Communications Commission rules are eliminated, ISPs would not have to get consumers' explicit consent before selling or sharing web browsing data and other privacy information with advertisers and other third parties,"
"The measure would use lawmakers' power under the Congressional Review Act to ensure that the FCC rulemaking 'shall have no force or effect.'
The resolution would also prevent the FCC from issuing similar regulations in the future."

From the report:
Flake's announcement said he's trying to "protect consumers from overreaching Internet regulation."
Flake also said that the resolution "empowers consumers to make informed choices on if and how their data can be shared," but he did not explain how it will achieve that.
The privacy order had several major components.
The requirement to get the opt-in consent of consumers before sharing information covered geo-location data, financial and health information, children's information, Social Security numbers, Web browsing history, app usage history, and the content of communications.

This requirement is supposed to take effect on December 4, 2017. The rulemaking had a data security component that required ISPs to take "reasonable" steps to protect customers' information from theft and data breaches. This was supposed to take effect on March 2, but the FCC under newly appointed Chairman Ajit Pai halted the rule's implementation.

where does Trump stand on this issue?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Moridin920 posted:

What if I have a relative who works in the rare earth metals mining industry and the stuff that would have protected them from exposure as per Obama's DoL rule is no longer happening because "no new regulations lol" and they get health repercussions from that?

?

Does your relative post on SA?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fog Tripper posted:

Does your relative post on SA?

Am I not affected by that as his relative? Should I feel no empathy for him?

Should I just go 'welp you have way higher odds of getting cancer or lung disease but doesn't affect me personally so gently caress you got mine!!!'

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

IronClaymore posted:

The point is, we need to move capital from the big CEO bosses to the regular person. Which we did,

Uhhhhhh

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Yeah, I know. All we did was give the upper-middle-class a taste of Capital.

Sorry, I thought that counted enough.

Since when did a Super Fund actually lobby anything significant?

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

where does Trump stand on this issue?

Sadly He will probably rubber stamp it and it will pass with bipartisan support and be reported on for all of 1 hour.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

runupon cracker posted:

If one should only worry about things that affect them directly, why have you put five pages of posts in this thread vehemently defending Trump?

Are you literally Trump?

Correlation != Causation.
I simply think you handwringers are a hoot.

"vehemently " lol

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Moridin920 posted:

Am I not affected by that as his relative? Should I feel no empathy for him?

Should I just go 'welp you have way higher odds of getting cancer or lung disease but doesn't affect me personally so gently caress you got mine!!!'

This is just you yet again mock outraging for things that do not affect you and arguably have no impact on anyone else beyond your imaginary relative.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

What kind of person should lead America? I mean Gary Johnson looked like the CEO of Airwalk or something, Jill Stein was some blown out ex-hippie, like what kind of person should be prez

just going to leave this here.

quote:

Hogan may be a dedicated Christian, but he’s not going to dedicate himself to a political party for life. Instead he’s one of those swing voters we keep hearing about. In 2008 he endorsed Obama, but feels like the president didn’t deliver on all his promises. In 2012, he was an avid Romney supporter. The Republican National Convention took place in his hometown of Tampa, and he was riled up by all the buzz.

"As soon as I get out of the ring, I’m turning the TV on, cause I wanna hear what Romney has to say. . . He’s got a chance to win everybody over". ((Hulk Hogan: An Obama Fan No Longer. Townhall.))

But when it really comes down to it, the Hulk thinks he would make a pretty good president. And his views on fiscal policy make you wonder why he ever voted for Obama in the first place.

"The change of heart is, I should be president. I know nothing about politics. I think a flat tax across the board would straighten everything out".

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

too bad most Americans have the attention span of a goldfish and nothing significant will change

If you are a non American who doesn't live in America and you think most Americans are idiots and our sandwiches are terrible as you have repeated many times over then I wonder why you have devoted so many insulting posts devoid of any critical thinking or informative content to a thread about an American president?

Psst, maybe you're the idiot?

Fog Tripper posted:

This is just you yet again mock outraging for things that do not affect you and arguably have no impact on anyone else beyond your

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Jose Mengelez posted:

Flat tax is bullshit class warfare Hulk! It penalises the poor and leaves the rich scot free.

And I can't take you, but I will personally fight you on it anyway. As an acknowledged poor person who works out but has no wrestling esperience. If you believe this right wing bullshit, meet me in the ring.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fog Tripper posted:

This is just you yet again mock outraging for things that do not affect you and arguably have no impact on anyone else beyond your imaginary relative.

I am telling you that I do have a relative working in that industry and I am telling you that he and many of his fellow workers are pretty pissed and I am telling you it directly affects their health.

If you want to just keep insisting every single person that doesn't like Trump is handwringing about made up poo poo, then idk what to say other than lol at how deep your head is in the sand.

Also I can feel empathy and feel outrage/sadness as a result of dumb poo poo happening because of Trump's retarded EO dropped on airports with no warning. I don't have to be directly affected by that to be against it.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 9, 2017

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You're really just illustrating the fundamental difference between right wing and left wing imo; the right wing seem to literally not care about anyone beyond their immediate circle of people and gently caress everyone else as long as their circle is being taken care of and provided for.

Everything else is just "lol you don't even know those people stop handwringing!" Idk if it is a lack of empathy or something else but it's amazing how common that thread is in all political arguments. It's the direct root of like 95% of GOP positions. "gently caress you, got mine."

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 9, 2017

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

You'd rather inflict that misery on browns so you can have cheap plastic poo poo?

Of course he would he just won't be honest with himself about it that's why he identifies as a leftist

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

runupon cracker posted:

Are you literally Trump?

I don't think he's defending trump I think he's just pointing out how deluded you are

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Jose Mengelez posted:

The future presidency should be decided by a Yapapi Indian strap match between Hulkster and Jesse Ventura at Wrestlemania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Jose Mengelez posted:

Uh oh, looks like this Terry is gettin' froggy.

• Locked thread