Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

When it comes to operating systems, Apple is sorta the strict mother which seems to do a lot of arbitrary things, but at least always has a hot meal when you get home.

It'll be an adjustment period, and if you're anything like me, you're gonna miss the depth of theme/icon/appearance changes. But once you acclimate it's good.

This is mostly why I'm switching to be honest. There are a few odds and ends I'm going to be annoyed by for awhile, but for the most part I wasn't taking advantage of the deep customization in Android anyway. The lockdown they set hopefully provides more security and privacy than the sieve of Android.

For the data rate tracker I found Datameter. It also has the widget which is as close as I'm going to get I think.

For content blockers, some googling led me to 1Blocker, is Focus by Firefox or some other option better? I avoid using apps for things that have a perfectly good website already, I've always hated that trend.

Thanks for all the help y'all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

This is mostly why I'm switching to be honest. There are a few odds and ends I'm going to be annoyed by for awhile, but for the most part I wasn't taking advantage of the deep customization in Android anyway. The lockdown they set hopefully provides more security and privacy than the sieve of Android.

For the data rate tracker I found Datameter. It also has the widget which is as close as I'm going to get I think.

For content blockers, some googling led me to 1Blocker, is Focus by Firefox or some other option better? I avoid using apps for things that have a perfectly good website already, I've always hated that trend.

Welcome home, really.

iOS could use some improvements, but... things are not better in Android-land on any of them. I switched in 2011 just because I was so tired of the Android Market having twenty pieces of malware for every good update, the lack of updates for anything cheaper device-wise and the security being a hot mess in general.

And then I look at the state of Android now and start thinking "the more things change".

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

maduin posted:

i'm actually really hopeful apple allows you to set default apps soon. they've been (slowly) moving in that direction for a couple of years, and with the ability to delete native apps, I think it's only a matter of time.

Me too.

"Hey Siri, play random music with Spotify please."

"I'm sorry but you don't have Music.app installed."

Okay.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Siri is never gonna be good. It's a piece of poo poo.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I have two downloaded: 1Blocker and Adamant. I only use one of them at any given time though (it's not recommended to use more than one). I just have all 3 because sometimes 1Blocker just stops randomly working and ends up breaking my browser (everything just gets rendered as a white blank page). Dunno why that happens but when it does I just switch it off and switch Adamant back on until until I get annoyed by ads getting through and switch it back.

That last sentence isn't me saying 1Blocker blocks more ads than Adamant or the other way around, just that serving ads is an arms race and lovely ad companies eventually find ways to get past the blockers. They both work well except the sometimes rare blank screen issue with 1Password. If you want more details on adblockers you can just google for "iOS content blocker roundup" or something. Some dude wrote like a 4 part thesis comparing every single ad blocker available (at that time). I don't remember what the site was called though.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

How do other things like Echo (Alexa?) handle music from Spotify and such? I've found out I can ask Siri to open Spotify but then it prompts me for my fingerprint and well if I'm in the shower then I can't do that so it's pretty stupid. Does Alexa just play music/playlists without issues?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I've never really expected much of it.

My use case is pretty much in the car: making a call, reading/reciting an SMS, or playing Russian roulette with music.

:) "Hey Siri, play Queens of the Stone Age"
:byodame: "..."
:byodame: "Here are some popular songs by Queen"
:) "eh. Good enough"

In a pinch I've used it to pull up directions to a store while I'm driving.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I used to use it in the car until I got one of those BT things you plug into your cigarette lighter.
I used to use CDs but then I got apple music so I was like "cool, a BT receiver!"

BUT I think it has a microphone on it that overrides the internal iPhone one when on BT and unfortunately it's a piece of poo poo so using Siri in the car now is pretty much useless.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

As is typical, when Siri came out it was pretty amazing, and then everyone else came out with their own that have grown to be much better and Siri seems antiquated.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do other things like Echo (Alexa?) handle music from Spotify and such? I've found out I can ask Siri to open Spotify but then it prompts me for my fingerprint and well if I'm in the shower then I can't do that so it's pretty stupid. Does Alexa just play music/playlists without issues?

The Echo works well with Spotify. You can tell it to "play [thing] from Spotify," or set Spotify as the default player and just say "play [thing]."

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

The Dave posted:

As is typical, when Siri came out it was pretty amazing, and then everyone else came out with their own that have grown to be much better and Siri seems antiquated.
It's frustrating, because it feels like all the specific features that Google does (voice control, Docs, calendar, etc.) are a lot better - but just the core case of actually using the phone is so much better on iOS. I've been tempted by Android so many times because of Google's services, until I actually have to use Android.

Maybe I just need to stop using default apps for everything, but I keep convincing myself that there'll be some specific non-Siri use case for using them - usually not trusting background refresh to update both my devices so that if I need to check a note without internet access on my iPad, it'll have updated without having to manually launch and sync. That's the one thing iCloud seems to be grand at doing.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 9, 2017

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

It's frustrating, because it feels like all the specific features that Google does (voice control, Docs, calendar, etc.) are a lot better - but just the core case of actually using the phone is so much better on iOS. I've been tempted by Android so many times because of Google's services, until I actually have to use Android.

Maybe I just need to stop using default apps for everything, but I keep convincing myself that there'll be some specific non-Siri use case for using them - usually not trusting background refresh to update both my devices so that if I need to check a note without internet access on my iPad, it'll have updated without having to manually launch and sync. That's the one thing iCloud seems to be grand at doing.

I thought so too for music but switched to google play music and am much happier. Calendering is still a problem though it can be solved by adding google calendars into the regular calendar system. Just a bit annoying to have to sign in in two places.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Ethereal posted:

I thought so too for music but switched to google play music and am much happier. Calendering is still a problem though it can be solved by adding google calendars into the regular calendar system. Just a bit annoying to have to sign in in two places.
I'm okay with having my music in the default app since all the functionality I need is so basic anyway: Offline music synced from my PC (since a lot of stuff I listen to a lot isn't in the UK store).

Though what's the catch with their 50,000 song storage for free thing? Sounds too good to be true - are they harvesting the hell out of :filez: to pass on to the RIAA for a cut of the money or some poo poo?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

I'm okay with having my music in the default app since all the functionality I need is so basic anyway: Offline music synced from my PC (since a lot of stuff I listen to a lot isn't in the UK store).

Though what's the catch with their 50,000 song storage for free thing? Sounds too good to be true - are they harvesting the hell out of :filez: to pass on to the RIAA for a cut of the money or some poo poo?

I actually went the other way from google to apple. Mostly because of carplay support but also because it seems like the google radio stations get pretty stale - repeating tracks etc. I don't think they put as much effort into curating as apple does.

Pretty minor though, they're both good services. I believe apple music also has a song match/upload thing like itunes match so you can store your tunes as well. I'm sure they can sell some analytics to record labels etc but I doubt there is any legal danger.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Yep, total honey pot. Better to be safe and just burn all your idevices in a fire started by a note 7.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

I've had an iPhone since Siri came out and have never used it. Also the thing where you have to press harder to get a different effect.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

3D Touch is a million times more useful than Siri, despite being nowhere near as old.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Siri is good for only 2 things: settings alarms and setting timers.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

BUT I think it has a microphone on it that overrides the internal iPhone one when on BT and unfortunately it's a piece of poo poo so using Siri in the car now is pretty much useless.

When you hold the button to use Siri, there's a Bluetooth icon in the lower right. If you tap that, you can choose whether it uses the Bluetooth microphone or the iPhone's.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I ask Siri questions when I'm lonely but that's about it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

Seconding this. If I didn't have Siri then I would be wasting as much as a minute or two per week setting timers by hand.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Siri rules for reminders and asking her if a store is still open. Sometimes I do a Hey Siri while I'm getting ready in the morning to get the weather.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Yo I like Apple Music for the most part but it's funny what parts of iTunes I hate that it retains.

I had pre-ordered an album that had released a couple tracks before the album came out. Album is out now. I hit play on the album and after a while realize it's playing the same song again. Thought I had it on repeat but nope it just kept the pre-order track and added an album one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I use siri to love/hate songs a lot because it's easy to do while driving.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Coming from Android I still think Google Now/Google Assistant is just better. Siri hangs up a lot with anything it's stupid.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Skeezy posted:

Coming from Android I still think Google Now/Google Assistant is just better. Siri hangs up a lot with anything it's stupid.

Apple still hasn't gotten Siri to be as useful as it was before Apple bought it, if you want to think about exactly how low of a priority Siri seems to be.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Skeezy posted:

Coming from Android I still think Google Now/Google Assistant is just better.

This isn't an opinion, it's objectively true.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

flosofl posted:

I've never really expected much of it.

My use case is pretty much in the car: making a call, reading/reciting an SMS, or playing Russian roulette with music.

:) "Hey Siri, play Queens of the Stone Age"
:byodame: "Here are some popular songs by Queen"
:) "eh. Good enough"

In a pinch I've used it to pull up directions to a store while I'm driving.

The Siri Experience.

Siri was useful about 80% of the time when it was new. Now, if anything, it's worse.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Skeezy posted:

Siri abruptly ending conversations is hilarious. Would it kill them to wait a bit?

Also, why the heck doesn't it start listening for your command straight away? I don't necessarily need to let your long winded "funny" comment play out fully to respond. Let me respond immediately.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Josh Lyman posted:

Initiating phone calls in the car.
Adding stuff to your grocery (reminders) list.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xzzy posted:

I use siri to love/hate songs a lot because it's easy to do while driving.

Whaaat? I never knew you could love/hate using Siri.

So, OK. One more thing I'll use it for.

When Siri works, it's really really good. But when it doesn't...

I'm now recalling the time I wanted it to play some Avett Brothers in the car, and I ended up yelling at the top of my voice and over enunciating "Avett":

:argh: "HEY SIRI! PLAY! AVETT! BROTHERS! YOU! BITCH!"
:byodame: "I'm sorry. I can't find anything by the Avid Brothers"
:argh: "gently caress you, Siri!"

And of course, now that I test it when I'm at home (and probably a year since the last time I tried), it does it perfectly three times in a row.... I hate you, Siri.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

I don't use it because it's not 100% or even 80%. Especially if I'm around anyone. There are few things I can think of that are more embarrassing than having to ask Siri twice.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

~Coxy posted:

Siri abruptly ending conversations is hilarious. Would it kill them to wait a bit?

Also, why the heck doesn't it start listening for your command straight away? I don't necessarily need to let your long winded "funny" comment play out fully to respond. Let me respond immediately.

Yeah I really wish there was a way to enable "serious mode" or whatever for Siri. I loving hate those comments she makes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The worst part of Siri is when Apple changes commands. Once upon a time "shuffle all music" would shuffle and play every song on the phone. Now you have to do "play all music" and "shuffle on".

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I use Siri quite a bit.

My wife and I have a shared reminder list for grocery shopping. Being able to say "Hey Siri, Add bananas to shopping list" is really useful.

Also I use it for sending txt messages while driving, as it hooks up to the audio system(mic/speakers) in the car, i feel that the procedure for sending message is a little more long winded than it needs to be though.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah I really wish there was a way to enable "serious mode" or whatever for Siri. I loving hate those comments she makes.
I've heard that if you reply to a sarcastic Siri response with "that's not funny", it'll start to be more serious. Can't say whether it works or not though.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I've heard that if you reply to a sarcastic Siri response with "that's not funny", it'll start to be more serious. Can't say whether it works or not though.

Doubt it since Siri can't understand context.

I'm guessing this is what would happen:

:v: Hey Siri how cold is it right now?
:downs: It is 7 degrees right now, burrrr that's cold.
:v: Hey Siri that wasn't funny.
:downs: ...
:downs: Would you like me to search for "tattoos funny?"

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Mar 10, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yep!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Boris Galerkin posted:

Guess it's just a case of dealing with it (luckily Siri is useless if you have an accent anyway!)

I quite like Siri's glib comments tbh, and it's hilarious just how mad some of the people talking about Siri's attitude are on the Mac forums I found when googling how to switch it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Boris Galerkin posted:

Turn on Sirious Mode, idiot.