Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Does Snap Shot work with the Shadow Caster title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

Yes, but keep in mind as a secondary weapon, you can only use Snap Shot in your primary arc. So for the title to matter, you'd have to have your mobile arc forward.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Raged posted:

Yeah, but Snap Shot only triggers from the front facing arc so your mobile arc would have to be overlapping the ship. Seems particularly mean with Ketsu Onyo pilot because she'll put a second tractor beam token on the ship at the beginning of combat :yum:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

alg posted:

Plenty of ships have much better abilities on much better platforms. Vader, for one. Soontir, for another.

Biggs is just a tax Rebels pay to have ships like Kanan on the field. Without him, those ships aren't even close to the top table.

"This ability isn't the best, it just single handedly makes entire other ships worth using" seems like a really self-defeating argument. Vader and Soontir are both good abilities, no doubt no question, but neither of them single-handedly influences an entire faction's list-building, and never has.

There is no ship in the game whose ability is as game-warpingly powerful as Biggs' ability, in part because he does his thing upgrades be damned, and every other ship in the game needs something else to get the most out of it. Run Soontir without PTL and see how far you get.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Strobe posted:

"This ability isn't the best, it just single handedly makes entire other ships worth using" seems like a really self-defeating argument. Vader and Soontir are both good abilities, no doubt no question, but neither of them single-handedly influences an entire faction's list-building, and never has.

There is no ship in the game whose ability is as game-warpingly powerful as Biggs' ability, in part because he does his thing upgrades be damned, and every other ship in the game needs something else to get the most out of it. Run Soontir without PTL and see how far you get.

He just makes up for design flaws in Rebel ships. That's not a powerful ability, it's just a tax. It's poor design. On his own, his ability is trash. He has to make up for the utter lack of defensive abilities on other Rebel ships in order to pay off, and lacks his own offense to make up for it.

Edit: also its limited to range one in a game where abilities exist that work for the entire table.

alg fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 8, 2017

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Should we be expecting another wave or pack to be announced soon? Looking through it seems they release at least 2 waves a year.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Raged posted:

Should we be expecting another wave or pack to be announced soon? Looking through it seems they release at least 2 waves a year.

They usually release one Wave in February and one Wave at GenCon. Last year the GenCon Wave wasn't announced until a couple months before GenCon and the February Wave was announced at GenCon.

osici
Jan 19, 2008
Wheee
Wave 9 was announced the same weekend as Yavin, at the UK Games Expo. That's where Euros are this year, so we might see the same happen.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Hoping for a Heroes of Scarif expansion so we can get K2SO and General Antoc Merrick.

RTM
May 21, 2001

hewwo!
I played a casual game with Darth Vader and a mini Tie swarm the other day and ended up winning, but as I reflect on the game I can't help but think that I was playing wrong. One of my main strategies was to use Darth Vader's power and Squad Leader to give Omega Ace a target lock and/or focus token, even when Omega Ace was stressed. Omega Ace could then spend those on his special power to turn dice rolls into crits. I was reading later that you can't do actions when stressed.

Was I doing it wrong? If so, I need to apologize to my brother...

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

RTM posted:

I played a casual game with Darth Vader and a mini Tie swarm the other day and ended up winning, but as I reflect on the game I can't help but think that I was playing wrong. One of my main strategies was to use Darth Vader's power and Squad Leader to give Omega Ace a target lock and/or focus token, even when Omega Ace was stressed. Omega Ace could then spend those on his special power to turn dice rolls into crits. I was reading later that you can't do actions when stressed.

Was I doing it wrong? If so, I need to apologize to my brother...

Yep. No actions, even free actions, while stressed.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yep.
Also, can't trigger Squad Leader twice in a round, even with Vader, because you cannot perform the same action twice in a round.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

K2SO should have a pilot ability that is C-3p0 but on offense.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

K2SO should have a pilot ability that is C-3p0 but on offense.

That would be really powerful, especially since you have a lot of ways to reroll the bad results into something better.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Wait, you're saying that if you:
1) move OA
2) take a focus
3) push the limit, take a stress
4) target lock an opponent

in combat, OA's 'change all attack dice to crits' doesn't happen due to that stress?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
No, what he is saying is that Squad Leader couldn't be used to give Omega Ace a free action while Omega Ace is stressed.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

canyoneer posted:

That would be really powerful, especially since you have a lot of ways to reroll the bad results into something better.

It's not really that powerful because threepio gets far less efficient the more dice you roll. Still decent but not threepio level unless one attack die ships become more common.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The HWK fix we deserve.

RTM
May 21, 2001

hewwo!
Thanks for the rule clarification. The game seems simple on the surface but I'm coming across all manner of weird interactions the deeper you go. So much fun!

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
K-2SO ability: any enemy ship at range 1-2 you can remove their stress token to target lock it for a friendly ship at range 1-2

RTM
May 21, 2001

hewwo!
One more question: does stress prevent me from using a focus/evade token or target lock if I obtained one through some other valid means? Or does stress just prevent the act of obtaining one, since it counts as an action?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

RTM posted:

One more question: does stress prevent me from using a focus/evade token or target lock if I obtained one through some other valid means? Or does stress just prevent the act of obtaining one, since it counts as an action?

Stress only prevents you from taking actions. It doesn't stop you from using tokens you already have or were given from some other source.

Example: you are stressed.

Manaroo can pass you tokens even if you're stressed. You can use these tokens even if you're stressed. But you could not take a focus action to give yourself a focus token (or any other action, including free actions) if you were stressed.

Edit: stress also doesn't stop you from using abilities that are not actions, such as Omega Ace's ability, Miranda's regen, or whatever.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

RTM posted:

Stress does not prevent you from using focus, target lock, or evade tokens.

Stress prevents you from taking any actions, including focus, target lock, or evade actions.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Does anyone know if FFG has kits for running a X-Wing league? We have between 10-15 players locally but you rarely see some of. Them and figured it would be a good way to entice them to play more.Also do leagues usually have a one time feee or anything for prizes at the end?

Right now at our FLGS we are kind of limited in events due to the owners son being our only TO and he lives 4 hours away. So a friend who has played for years and I are going to start doing it. We figure we can run everything but the store championships and leave that to her son when he is down. Any advice?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The quarterly kits the stores order from FFG can either be used for one-time tournaments or leagues. If you can still get the current winter kit, everyone really only needs one tractor beam token so you can just use it as a participation prize. However, there's no medal this time around so you'd really only be playing for the two alternate art cards.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

enigmahfc posted:

No, what he is saying is that Squad Leader couldn't be used to give Omega Ace a free action while Omega Ace is stressed.

ConfusedUs posted:

Stress only prevents you from taking actions. It doesn't stop you from using tokens you already have or were given from some other source.

Example: you are stressed.

Manaroo can pass you tokens even if you're stressed. You can use these tokens even if you're stressed. But you could not take a focus action to give yourself a focus token (or any other action, including free actions) if you were stressed.

Edit: stress also doesn't stop you from using abilities that are not actions, such as Omega Ace's ability, Miranda's regen, or whatever.

Perfect, thanks. You had me worried.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Thinking of trying something like in place of new Mind Link.

G-1A Starfighter: · Zuckuss (28)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
· Mist Hunter (0)
Tractor Beam (1)

Protectorate Starfighter: · Fenn Rau (28)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
Autothrusters (2)

Lancer-class Pursuit Craft: · Asajj Ventress (37)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
Tactical Jammer (1)

Maybe drop Zuck to 4Lom and add FCS. But I like the idea of these three linked.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Slandible posted:

Thinking of trying something like in place of new Mind Link.

G-1A Starfighter: · Zuckuss (28)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
· Mist Hunter (0)
Tractor Beam (1)

Protectorate Starfighter: · Fenn Rau (28)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
Autothrusters (2)

Lancer-class Pursuit Craft: · Asajj Ventress (37)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
Tactical Jammer (1)

Maybe drop Zuck to 4Lom and add FCS. But I like the idea of these three linked.

If you are taking Fenn you really need to take concord dawn. That free evade has saved my rear end many times at range one. Also without Latts Asajj is going to be able to be burnt down really quick.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
This the dumbest list

100 points

PILOTS

Miranda Doni (45)
K-Wing (29), Twin Laser Turret (6), Extra Munitions (2), Ion Bombs (2), Conner Net (4), Advanced SLAM (2)

Ahsoka Tano (28)
Sabine's TIE Fighter (17), Veteran Instincts (1), Sabine's Masterpiece (1), Captured TIE (1), Cluster Mines (4), Sabine Wren (2)

Captain Rex (14)

“Zeb” Orrelios (13)

Should I replace Rex and Zeb with somethign else (Yes, I really should but I ahve no idea what)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
My favorite T-70 is 27 points: Blue Squadron Novice with R4-D6 (or R2, it really doesn't matter), Integrated Astromech, Sensor Cluster. Tanks like a motherfucker, and nobody wants to shoot a generic T-70 when Miranda is on the board.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Strobe posted:

My favorite T-70 is 27 points: Blue Squadron Novice with R4-D6 (or R2, it really doesn't matter), Integrated Astromech, Sensor Cluster. Tanks like a motherfucker, and nobody wants to shoot a generic T-70 when Miranda is on the board.

Fancy! I would think that r4-d6 makes it just that bit more tanky.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It does, but the difference is marginal and only when you're up against things throwing out tractor beams. Otherwise, it's there to let you guaranteed save focus for offense if you want. Sensor Cluster means odds are better than even you end up with two evades anyway, and two evades is going to remove most of the opportunities to actually use R4-D6. It's there specifically because my poor Blue Novice got his poo poo wrecked by Ketsu and Fearless Boba, and R2's benefit is also pretty marginal on a low skill generic without an EPT.

That said, regardless of which you end up picking, that little fucker is tough. It takes an absolute minimum of eight hits on at least three attacks to drop him (well, crits can lower the number of attacks it takes, but the number of damage is still up there), and he's still throwing X-wing dice at whatever ends up in front of him. Sensor Cluster means he will never, ever blank out for a full turn of defense, and it's an excellent way to get people to split fire by running him slightly ahead.

That build will routinely take 12 modified red dice in the opening joust and live to retaliate.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I really need to get the HotR pack and start running more T-70s. I haven't played in almost two weeks.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I really need to get the HotR pack and start running more T-70s. I haven't played in almost two weeks.

I haven't played in a week and I'm dying for the game night tonight. drat need to work to pay for things.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, but Snap Shot only triggers from the front facing arc so your mobile arc would have to be overlapping the ship. Seems particularly mean with Ketsu Onyo pilot because she'll put a second tractor beam token on the ship at the beginning of combat :yum:

Not quite. It could also be facing to one side or the other and the ship could be overlapping both.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

thespaceinvader posted:

Not quite. It could also be facing to one side or the other and the ship could be overlapping both.

I decided not to run with it since it was so situational. Ran this tonight and went 3-0

Asajj Ventress — Lancer-class Pursuit Craft 37
Attanni Mindlink 1
Latts Razzi 2
Tactical Jammer 1
Shadow Caster 3
Ship Total: 44

Fenn Rau — Protectorate Starfighter 28
Attanni Mindlink 1
Autothrusters 2
Concord Dawn Protector 1
Ship Total: 32

Tansarii Point Veteran — M3-A Interceptor 17
Attanni Mindlink 1
"Mangler" Cannon 4
"Heavy Scyk" Interceptor (Cannon) 2

I'm not totally sold on the Shadow Caster title, but have no idea if anything would be a better replacement.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Raged posted:

I decided not to run with it since it was so situational. Ran this tonight and went 3-0

Asajj Ventress — Lancer-class Pursuit Craft 37
Attanni Mindlink 1
Latts Razzi 2
Tactical Jammer 1
Shadow Caster 3
Ship Total: 44

Fenn Rau — Protectorate Starfighter 28
Attanni Mindlink 1
Autothrusters 2
Concord Dawn Protector 1
Ship Total: 32

Tansarii Point Veteran — M3-A Interceptor 17
Attanni Mindlink 1
"Mangler" Cannon 4
"Heavy Scyk" Interceptor (Cannon) 2

I'm not totally sold on the Shadow Caster title, but have no idea if anything would be a better replacement.

With only one shot coming in after you tractor and no pre-drop of agi from Ketsu's ability, the 'Caster title is pretty questionable for my money. It's annoying AF to the right lists but not to enough lists. I'd suggest Gryo Targetting instead, it makes it a lot easier to keep your arc on things and still get actions.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Uh, so not having attended an Adepticon before, I didn't realize they "closed" registration 2 weeks ahead of the actual event when I went to sign up today. Is there a way to "late" early register, or am I just SOL if I want to go to the Hoth system?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Here, have some info about the new Syck pilots and upgrades

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/3/10/hit-and-run/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008