Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor

Trillhouse posted:

It's fun to take a look into the past now that we know 3.0 and SQ42 had no chance of being released in 2016. Did this worry Chris? Did the CEO of a crowdfunded start-up way behind its deadline worry when SQ42, the product he's gone on record saying would finance the rest of development, was no where near completion despite assurances and ads that said it was?

Nah.

He went on vacation to the Italian coast one month, then Maui a few weeks later. Have you ever seen a CEO, especially a start-up CEO act like this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4w4ywg/look_who_i_caught_boarding_my_flight_to_maui/

https://twitter.com/sandigardiner/status/736238869268553729

Two oversea vacations in two months. You're right Chris. You earned that.

The best part is that CIG has the process figured out.

1. Lie about how amazing things will be.
2. Get your marketing and tech demo teams to hype.
3. Whales keep whaling.
4. Rug gets pulled out when they miss the date or massively disappoint.
5. Marketing team kicks into overdrive to convince everyone their expectations were too high.

The only question I have is whether the biggest shills are paid or subsidized some way by CIG, or if they are truly just stockholmed at this point after investing $1,000s into an obvious scam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

aleksendr posted:

Imagine having to load a Hull E in SC by hand. The ship, as sold during its concept sale, has a cargo rack bigger than 12 Constellation. Not 12 constellations cargo capacity, 12 WHOLE constellations.

You'll just hang out in the space cafe with fellow whales while the scrubs you hired to load your ship do everything for you. Since no human player would do this, well, that's what the 9:1 NPC:player ratio is all about. They just have to teach an AI how to use grabby hands to deal with physically-simulated cargo and figure out how to load everything securely so that it doesn't go bouncing around in flight and such. Probably take an afternoon or two to implement, no big deal. Hell, they probably already have it working in a secret build that they can't show to anyone for reasons

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

aleksendr posted:

Imagine having to load a Hull E in SC by hand. The ship, as sold during its concept sale, has a cargo rack bigger than 12 Constellation. Not 12 constellations cargo capacity, 12 WHOLE constellations.

You mean it can transport a whole 0.30 Ben, that's impressive.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Achamp posted:

The best part is that CIG has the process figured out.

1. Lie about how amazing things will be.
2. Get your marketing and tech demo teams to hype.
3. Whales keep whaling.
4. Rug gets pulled out when they miss the date or massively disappoint.
5. Marketing team kicks into overdrive to convince everyone their expectations were too high.

The only question I have is whether the biggest shills are paid or subsidized some way by CIG, or if they are truly just stockholmed at this point after investing $1,000s into an obvious scam.

6. The same whales they just grifted perpetuate the marketing. They then insist that anyone with any complaints is are too needy and say "this is why they don't give dates (and the development is so...not open) the community melts down and can't handle it."

I don't think they're paid shills, though it wouldn't surprise me. I think they've bought in so hard and spent so much money that admitting they were wrong would cause too huge of a hit to their ego. They've spent so much time defending it that they can't go back. Forget sunk cost fallacy, this is sunk ego fallacy.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2Ii4AaiBKI

That is a movie trailer.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/03/07/you-need-to-know-about-the-evil-within-right-this-minute

For a movie that has been in development for 15 years so the director could achieve his vision. The only saving grace is how campy it is. Otherwise it looks pretty cliche and bad. People just don't think that their grand vision could be stupid and terrible. Chris Roberts in a small way can be a lesson that helps you develop as a person.

Squadron 42: Answer the Call: Spring 2027

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Zzr posted:

(st)Imperial, Metric, short or long Ben ?

Foo Diddley posted:

You'll just hang out in the space cafe with fellow whales while the scrubs you hired to load your ship do everything for you. Since no human player would do this, well, that's what the 9:1 NPC:player ratio is all about. They just have to teach an AI how to use grabby hands to deal with physically-simulated cargo and figure out how to load everything securely so that it doesn't go bouncing around in flight and such. Probably take an afternoon or two to implement, no big deal. Hell, they probably already have it working in a secret build that they can't show to anyone for reasons

Does the secret build also take into account the economic impact of such large ships ? Because its really hard to make a game where soemone using a regular constellation can have any impact on the market without a Hull E crashing it, and If a Hull E cant affect a market then every other ship cargo capacity is just whale piss in the ocean.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 9, 2017

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

aleksendr posted:

Does the secret build also take into account the economic impact of such large ships ? Because its really hard to make a game where soemone using a regular constellation can have any impact on the market without a Hull E crashing it, and If a Hull E cant affect a market then every other ship cargo capacity is just whale piss in the ocean.

If Chris Roberts was one to let mere impossibilities stand in his way, then he wouldn't be making the BDSSE

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I'm calling it 50/50 on the counter. It clearly has some fancy concrete dye marbled in there because CIG are a bunch of assholes, but it also definitely looks to have some very serious stains that indicate it maybe wasn't sealed correctly (or it was but they used a penetrating sealer and no top-coat and the CIG guys forgot to hit it with some beeswax every now and then).

Either way I think we can all agree Chris looks like an rear end in a top hat and that kitchen looks dumb.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Everyone is forgetting the most important question in all this

Does Chris only own 1 stretch-fit black shirt , or is his closet like Homer Simpson with row after row of the exact same outfit ?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Steve Jobs only had one outfit and his cult does pretty well.

Crobberts stealing from the best.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

Steve Jobs only had one outfit and his cult does pretty well.

Crobberts stealing from the best.

Steve Jobs released actual product

Both physical and digital

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It's still in pre production the man is building a multinational conglomerate give him a loving break

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Are they still shipping out physical rewards or did they give up on that too because work is hard

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sappo569 posted:

Are they still shipping out physical rewards or did they give up on that too because work is hard

I think it is still going. No surprise, Alexis is in charge of that and well she is the competent one in those parts.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sappo569 posted:

I'm *just* now reading chat, there's some chinese person in there very disappointed that CIG doesn't ship physical rewards to china.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Truga posted:

I'm *just* now reading chat, there's some chinese person in there very disappointed that CIG doesn't ship physical rewards to china.

The ironing is delicious

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

aleksendr posted:

Nothing in this project has been thought out in any capacity whatsoever. Chris just thinks if he makes enough spaceships* then somehow they will coalesce into a game.

*spaceships may not technically exist

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

aleksendr posted:

Imagine having to load a Hull E in SC by hand. The ship, as sold during its concept sale, has a cargo rack bigger than 12 Constellations. Not 12 Constellations cargo capacity, 12 WHOLE Constellations.

You get 75% complete after a few days, accidentally touch another previously docked cargo cannister, and it starts its jitter dance around the cargo bay, clips through the hull, and after a random time explodes the ship and entire contents.
While you spin around the charred remains of your ship, you notice a naked man fly past steering by his nipples.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 9, 2017

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I hope they do release a cargo module

Imagine the tears the first time someone spends 8 hours hand loading their anime into the cargo hold , and then they close the cargo door, power up and watch helplessly as all their carefully stacked crates go flying off into the distance for no reason

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

happyhippy posted:

You get 75% complete after a few days, accidentally touch another previously docked cargo cannister, and it starts its jitter dance around the cargo bay, clips through the hull, and after a random time explodes the ship and entire contents.
While you spin around the charred remains of your ship, you notice a naked man fly past steering by his nipples.

Smiling, the naked man squish his bald forehead on your faceplate, allowing the vibrations in his skull to reach your helmet audio pickups.

- R U Ok Commando ? Looks like you had a successfl landing !

You scream as you wake up in your wankpod, cold sweat sticking to your skin. The pod's smell of spoiled Big Bennys so strong you could land a Mustang on it. Trough the bay window you can see the Hull - E in all its glory, still in loading after 8 hours. Everything is fine, it was just a nightmare.

Then you spot it, a slight jiggle in Cargo Pod #42...

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Trillhouse posted:

6. The same whales they just grifted perpetuate the marketing. They then insist that anyone with any complaints is are too needy and say "this is why they don't give dates (and the development is so...not open) the community melts down and can't handle it."

I don't think they're paid shills, though it wouldn't surprise me. I think they've bought in so hard and spent so much money that admitting they were wrong would cause too huge of a hit to their ego. They've spent so much time defending it that they can't go back. Forget sunk cost fallacy, this is sunk ego fallacy.

It comes mostly down to normal people explaining why they aren't wrong.

I'm sure you've met the type of person that is never wrong under any circumstances. Nothing you say or show them matters, if they decide the sky is red they will argue that point until the heat death of the universe and will actually feel smarter by all the ways they can flail around the truth.

The dream is real, you just can't see that. Prepare to engage me in 50 separate arguments, and in precisely zero I will concede anything other than the opinion I've already decided.

The main issue there though isn't that the game is a failure it's that the people defending it are stupid enough to have the opinions they do, and stubborn enough to try and make that opinion a reality by enabling a failed con man to fail again in exactly the same way he has publicly failed multiple times while telling themselves and the world this is what they want.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

aleksendr posted:

Smiling, the naked man squish his bald forehead on your faceplate, allowing the vibrations in his skull to reach your helmet audio pickups.

- R U Ok Commando ? Looks like you had a successfl landing !

You scream as you wake up in your wankpod, cold sweat sticking to your skin. The pod's smell of spoiled Big Bennys so strong you could land a Mustang on it. Trough the bay window you can see the Hull - E in all its glory, still in loading after 8 hours. Everything is fine, it was just a nightmare.

Then you spot it, a slight jiggle in Cargo Pod #42...

I'm sure that's a similar dream to what Crobbers has anytime he has to present the latest build on stage

Dear God is it going to hold .... oh no the textures are starting to tear! And that commando is phasing through the wall I hope no one noticed

poo poo ok phew we switched angles totally not scripted , fooled them again !

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sappo569 posted:

I hope they do release a cargo module

Imagine the tears the first time someone spends 8 hours hand loading their anime into the cargo hold , and then they close the cargo door, power up and watch helplessly as all their carefully stacked crates go flying off into the distance for no reason

The inevitable consequence of playing Star Citizen.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Sappo569 posted:

I'm sure that's a similar dream to what Crobbers has anytime he has to present the latest build on stage

Dear God is it going to hold .... oh no the textures are starting to tear! And that commando is phasing through the wall I hope no one noticed

poo poo ok phew we switched angles totally not scripted , fooled them again !

Except, of course, that the nekkid bald man in his dreams is actually pgabz......

There's a mental image you'll never claw outta your brainpan now )

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Zzr posted:

We're talking a Hull E here. .11 Ben.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Hey, functional multicrew:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWbYSShv5to

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39191064

quote:

"I no longer believe you are capable of providing the product I pledged for in April, considering the drastic number of delays and your lack of communication toward fellow backers."

An indigogo campaign to create the Sinclair ZX Vega+ was halted by indigogo. This was because of copious missed updates lack of communication to backers. Company is claiming violent threats etc but cannot produce evidence to BBC. They also threatened the BBC with legal action.

quote:

I don't expect a response. I'm just being polite in letting them know this is their last chance before they have to deal with small claims court," wrote a backer called Paul Brookfield.

Sound familiar?

Here is hoping that this creates British laws that allow for SC backers to get the information they deserve.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

:tif:

Hav posted:

if you're not flying your diamondback explorer like an attack helicopter, son....

Flying in E:D is a little bit more complicated than that, and I can only hope that you'd got them mixed up.

Yeah, can someone didn't fly long enough to figure out you can turn Flight Assist off or even see past the limited yaw... the balls on that guy :argh:

Also, what passes for flight in Star Citizen is a 6dof shooter with spaceship skins complete with boost strafe doge mechanic and full blown mouse aim. After CiG tapped the sim whales early (40-60mil?) they moved on to the mainstream/twitch crowd and hypermarketed mutually exclusive core concepts to a huge group of people that have since supplanted the original backers.. cig's fence straddling is for obvious reasons but most of the veterans of the controls Katamari (predates the concern forum for gulag) called it years ago and have been proven right.

Watching a ship exploiting the ridiculous thrust (+/-20g type poo poo) and lack of inertia in proximity to stationary objects shows how cig have managed to turn it Descent Underground and make an mockery of physics they pretend to care about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkkBicPMXSs

Conversely, Diaspora (a literal Battlestar Galactica game) has a pretty kickass 6dof flight model, as it's a reskinned mod of Freespace and you can do the backwards shooty thing yet it's a complex flight model with effects of inertia and limited thrust.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Armadillo Tank posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39191064

An indigogo campaign to create the Sinclair ZX Vega+ was halted by indigogo. This was because of copious missed updates lack of communication to backers. Company is claiming violent threats etc but cannot produce evidence to BBC. They also threatened the BBC with legal action.

Sound familiar?

Here is hoping that this creates British laws that allow for SC backers to get the information they deserve.

Wow this seems oddly familiar. Especially the part about them threatening news outlets that report negative news...

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Thoatse posted:

Also, what passes for flight in Star Citizen is a 6dof shooter with spaceship skins complete with boost strafe doge mechanic and full blown mouse aim. After CiG tapped the sim whales early (40-60mil?) they moved on to the mainstream/twitch crowd and hypermarketed mutually exclusive core concepts to a huge group of people that have since supplanted the original backers.. cig's fence straddling is for obvious reasons but most of the veterans of the controls Katamari (predates the concern forum for gulag) called it years ago and have been proven right.

Watching a ship exploiting the ridiculous thrust (+/-20g type poo poo) and lack of inertia in proximity to stationary objects shows how cig have managed to turn it Descent Underground and make an mockery of physics they pretend to care about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkkBicPMXSs

This is one of the best "Crysis jeeps with noclip" feeling demonstration i have ever seen. Anyone who pretend SC has a complex flight model should be laughed at.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Ship hats

:burgerpug:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
drat no mans sky is kinda killing it with the latest update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDNtbosTCvo

between the updates to that, E:D and ME:A hitting in the next week or two, morale has to be at an all time low

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

They're using Cryengine, not Gamebryo.
…although I suppose that's really more of a case of hat ships.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

TheAgent posted:

between the updates to that, E:D and ME:A hitting in the next week or two, morale has to be at an all time low

Oh wow, now it's boring as gently caress but with ~jeeps~ :jerkbag:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Foo Diddley posted:

Oh wow, now it's boring as gently caress but with ~jeeps~ :jerkbag:
all space games are boring as gently caress

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

all games are boring as gently caress

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
BOUNTY HUNT | Star Citizen Alpha 2.6.1 | Part 378 (Star Citizen 2017 PC Gameplay)

Beg to differ

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

TheAgent posted:

You bought No Man's Sky didn't you? lol

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Also, to clarify something that's been bothering me for a while, the coffee machine in their office is a 2 group La Marzocco Linea PB espresso machine. They're toward the higher end of the market, but you can get a brand new one in the UK for about £8500 (including VAT) or just over $10,000. Where this 20k figure came from I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/L6hXgpo.gifv