Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

OctaMurk posted:

Paradox forums believe that the Wargame series is a Clickfest and SD will be the same lol

Were they triggered by the lack of an "end turn" button?

Oh wait I don't care what they think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

Paradox forums are a thing nobody with any self respect should ever read or post in.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Vahakyla posted:

This kind of game like Normandy is shaping up, but of 1982 Peace for Galilee, would be my dream come true. It would use Wargame assets, and it was a war of things that Wargame does well, cold war tanks, missiles, and choppers.

And also the global chat would be glorious

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Apparently the amount of active RD players has doubled since the Paradox announcement, and RD has sold something like 50k copies since it.

Everything is coming up VDV.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Kemper Boyd posted:

Apparently the amount of active RD players has doubled since the Paradox announcement, and RD has sold something like 50k copies since it.

cool, I might have to get back in since I know have people who arent powergamers to play against

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Agean90 posted:

cool, I might have to get back in since I know have people who arent powergamers to play against

Same here, I have had an itch to play this lately but have been super hesitant because I know the community has probably distilled down to the spergiest of wargame nerds at this point.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
That's unfortunately kind of true. Thankfully much of the real min/maxing stuff has kept itself in ranked, but even I will get frustrated trying to play with casual players against good teams. People who are out of the loop or just not playing "seriously" are worthless against a good team, and it wastes 40 minutes of everyone's time with a game you almost certainly won't win.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
So uh, what voice chat / server are goons using now?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

literally this big posted:

So uh, what voice chat / server are goons using now?

Chugging the stairs mumble

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

DumbparameciuM posted:

Were they triggered by the lack of an "end turn" button?

Oh wait I don't care what they think.

While the Pdox forums are poo poo, let's not throw stones from our glass house; the last time I played RD the global chat was full of neo-nazi bullshit and pro-russian propaganda. I was actually legit surprised I didn't see any swastikas.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
You got lucky, swastikas are a pretty regular feature.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

paradox frowns upon swastikas in their games so the eugen community is in for a rough time.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

BadOptics posted:

While the Pdox forums are poo poo, let's not throw stones from our glass house; the last time I played RD the global chat was full of neo-nazi bullshit and pro-russian propaganda. I was actually legit surprised I didn't see any swastikas.

Aye I was surprised by the way global chat has morphed into a nazi hangout rather than just a sort of generically right-wing military-obsessed one full of Walter Mitty types, which it had been last time I'd played. Though come to think of it that's a pretty natural transition.

Steel Division looks potentially good though! At least it's Wargame-esque not another Act of Aggression.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I think sales and player numbers probably steered them pretty hard towards another Wargame-like game rather than another Act of Aggression. :v: If you look at Steamcharts, Red Dragon has like eleven times the average monthly player count of AoA (900 vs 80).

Fake edit: Wargame EE is nearly as popular at the moment as AoA. Also, you can see the general upwards trend of the Wargame franchise there: Red Dragon now has as many players as EE did a couple months after release.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

John Charity Spring posted:

Aye I was surprised by the way global chat has morphed into a nazi hangout rather than just a sort of generically right-wing military-obsessed one full of Walter Mitty types, which it had been last time I'd played. Though come to think of it that's a pretty natural transition.

Steel Division looks potentially good though! At least it's Wargame-esque not another Act of Aggression.

It follows the general demographic shift from the us to European players

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Panzeh posted:

I won in ALB with a west german infantry spam joke deck so i'm sure I can do it with a German fortress conscript unit.

(people got so tuned up in that game that they made defensive arrangements where you could literally walk infantry in unmolested- they were set to deal with APCs and tanks rushing in, but if infantry walks in for 5km, they had no way to deal)

Oh man you just took me all the way back to when we started experimenting with just sending infantry across fields to flush out village defenders.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Some more info on phases, decks and Multiplayer: https://www.pcgamesn.com/steel-division-normandy-44/steel-division-normandy-44-units-phases-multiplayer-divisions

quote:

Next comes Phase A: in this phase you're limited in terms of how many armoured vehicles you can deploy, which makes this a great time to advance with infantry and recon units that can establish your presence on the frontline. Phase B is when you’ll start rolling in light and medium tanks and stronger units. Phase C is reserved for your heavy armour . . . in Phase A you won’t earn many points per minute, which limits your options when it comes to moving in armoured vehicles. By Phase C however, you’ll be earning huge numbers of points

quote:

Naturally, there’s a counter to this in the form of commanding units, which provides a morale boost to all nearby troops that make them much harder to become stressed or pinned down. Likewise, more experienced units will not only be much harder to stress out, they will also get into position and take aim more quickly.

quote:

“We have an American campaign, a German campaign and a British campaign. They are all depicting realistic operations. And campaigns have several missions that are all bound together. The units you have on the first mission, you have to take care not wasting them, because they are persistent.”

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Definitely looking forward to this one then.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Another preview from Rock Paper Shotgun: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/06/steel-division-normandy-44-preview/

quote:

The 101st [Airborne] would likely have an advantage against the 12th [SS Panzer] in phase one, able to storm the map with rapid infantry assault units that are able to capture key positions. As the battle moves into its later phases, however, armoured units will start to arrive and the Panzer will be attempting to turn the tide in their commander’s favour by breaking and dislocating the Airborne while their own backup scrambles onto the field. One of Eugen’s aims is to avoid the common RTS pattern which sees one side gain an advantage early in the game which is almost impossible to overturn. The phases should give battles ebb and flow.

quote:

Rather than simply raining fire down on each other, vehicles will often fight until softened up, pinned or otherwise disabled, and then you’ll be able to move in another unit to capture them. The emphasis on shutting units down and removing them from the fight rather than destroying everything outright makes flanking, retreating and countering much more valid than in a game where the winner is whoever brings the biggest (or the most) guns.

quote:

The most impressive aspect of the game, from what I’ve seen so far, is how the phase system and positional tactics combine to create a pace that allows for reactive play.

Very much excited for this

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Kemper Boyd posted:

I've been RD free for like six months but now I'm gonna fall off the wagon bc of this post. Thanks.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If you ever want to play RD just make some of those sugar free brownies instead.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
RD is actually good and by being the best Wargame it's also pretty much the best RTS in recent times.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
man they should put RD on sale.

I played a ton of EE and ALB but never got RD. Now I'm hyped for the ww2 game and would totally play some RD but not at full price :/

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Counterpoint: kickball exists.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

fuf posted:

man they should put RD on sale.

I played a ton of EE and ALB but never got RD. Now I'm hyped for the ww2 game and would totally play some RD but not at full price :/

It was literally just on sale coinciding with the SD44 announcement and goes on sale frequently

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

The paradox forums posted:

Ok i just dont understand your point. As an avid warthunder sim pilot with over 1000 hours played, i can testify that it would definitely be possible to control two joysticks at once. difficult? yes, Unusable, no. viable? definitely, unless your a green pilot whom has only flew in a glider

This is referring to adding in a prototype MCLOS air to air missile to Steel Division.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I'm bored so I looked that thread up. An MCLOS AA missile that wasn't tested until August '44.

The testing results said it was too difficult to control two joysticks at once in combat.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

I'm bored so I looked that thread up. An MCLOS AA missile that wasn't tested until August '44.

The testing results said it was too difficult to control two joysticks at once in combat.

Well, if they had their pilots put some time into war thunder they would have developed the requisite dexterity and skill.

lovely WWII test pilots, LOL.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Pilots in Vietnam had a hard enough time using MCLOS missiles on static targets, but I'm sure this guy's war thunder experience makes him so much better than them.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
They should put in those pigeon guided missiles. F&F will probably still be superior right?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Im getting drawn into the x4 argument someone help me escape

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

All puffed up about pigeon guided missiles ITT.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Dont forget to go the eugen devblog and sign up for the beta folks, it starts March 15

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
It already got filled, within 3 minutes.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

pcgamesn posted:

The system even applies to tanks, which can be forced to retreat by units that can’t even do any damage to them. The system differs slightly to the suppression mechanic that applied to infantry, this is all about stressing armoured units out in order to temporarily force them out of action. “Say you are in a heavy tank,” says Cornelius, “and the enemy are shooting at you with some 20mm machine guns, they are not going to do jack to that tank. You’re fine. But inside, all they hear is ‘DING DING DING DING DING DING’. So they are going to get stressed. When a vehicle gets too stressed, it’s just like, ‘Crap, I’m out of here’, and they will just rout.”

Can't wait for people to toss newbie Panthers into the fray only to be bewildered that it gets defeated by artillery and 4 Shermans.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The damned 12th SS Hitler Youth is confirmed. I can't think of any other game that's included possible child combatants in this genre.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gently caress it, reinstalling Red Dragon. Would be nice to get the old gang together at the weekend for some games.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Dandywalken posted:

The damned 12th SS Hitler Youth is confirmed. I can't think of any other game that's included possible child combatants in this genre.

I do wonder what they'll do to convince this game to be sold in countries where having any SS units represented is verboten.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Dandywalken posted:

It's their core demographic I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Dandywalken posted:

So global chat will be terrible again, yeah

• Locked thread