Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

OSI bean dip posted:

oh god shut the gently caress up about tolls

unless you got security stuff to talk about regarding the transmitters go take it to that ask/tell thread about traffic control

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/1497085-chinese-spying-devices-installed-on-hong-kong-cars/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Ask Slashdot: Should You Use Password Managers?

https://ask.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=10340101&cid=54003917 posted:

By "Password Manager" do you mean..

..my brain? Then yes.

:smuggo:

https://ask.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=10340101&cid=54003667 posted:

Haha, no. For the same reason you don't keep all your valuables in one safe.

hrm

https://ask.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=10340101&cid=54004807 posted:

Should I trust my IP TV: Yes!

Just the thought of having all my passwords in a mildly obfuscated database laying around on digital media 24/24 might keep from sleeping. I guess it's OK for some passwords although, like: /.

lol what a dingus

there's also plenty of comments where people are bragging about their super unique passphrase algo. morons. ofc it is slashdot afterall

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

what the hell is 24/24?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
im the mild obfuscation

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Acer Pilot posted:

what the hell is 24/24?
misspelt 24/7

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

cheese-cube posted:

Ask Slashdot: Should You Use Password Managers?

:smuggo:

hrm

lol what a dingus

there's also plenty of comments where people are bragging about their super unique passphrase algo. morons. ofc it is slashdot afterall

I legit didn't even realize /. was still at thing. Still the same amount of :psyduck: that I remember.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
remember that slashdot is entirely populated by people who never moved on from it.

e: kinda like sa now that i think about it

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
SA still has great CYOAs though.

Slashdot just has smug and clueless commentary attached to ibtimes and The Register links.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://streamable.com/38l6e

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

i'm the silence

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

beautiful

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

holy lol

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

loving lol i hope that's on purpose

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

what would the other alexa say if i asked it which alexa was the one that told the truth

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

i'm the samsung smart tv

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

noice

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lol

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Extremely good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
apache struts vuln getting savaged in the wild

bonus: tons of implementations remain unpatched because it has to be updated on an application by application basis

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Don't know if it was a rapid patch but my dot replied "no! I work for Amazon"

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/Bugcrowd/status/839884929840386048

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Another reason I'll continue to recommend 1Pass over LastPass. Turns out having a viable paid model and charging sane, reasonable prices for good software lets you spend money on things like bug hunts!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Don't know if it was a rapid patch but my dot replied "no! I work for Amazon"

honestly the fact that the answer isn't "no! I work for you!" is still concerning

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

bobfather posted:

Another reason I'll continue to recommend 1Pass over LastPass. Turns out having a viable paid model and charging sane, reasonable prices for good software lets you spend money on things like bug hunts!

but you see, lastpass is great because it works better for everyone. those bugs that come up are minor inconveniences
:goonsay:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i don't know how anyone tolerates lastpass at all. every time I have to log in I go "oh, right" and spend forever looking for the secret I need

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
is 1password v6 on windows still garbage?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

i saw some windows email from them, but i havent bothered to check out since keepass + onedrive works for me

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

anthonypants posted:

It's ok, but you still can't add new items to it, and it stubbornly refuses to sync automatically sometimes.

Worth it for me, since it let me get rid of the DropBox client, and it looks more pleasing to me.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

bobfather posted:

It's ok, but you still can't add new items to it
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

bobfather posted:

It's ok, but you still can't add new items to it, and it stubbornly refuses to sync automatically sometimes.

Worth it for me, since it let me get rid of the DropBox client, and it looks more pleasing to me.

I use 1password on Windows and you can definitely add new items

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

anthonypants posted:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what

Yeah, v6 has never supported editing or adding new items. They say it's coming.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

You're using v4, right? Not the new, pretty v6?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

i use v4 and can definitely add new items but i tried v6 when i upgraded to windows 10 last year and it was very bad so i went back to v4. i would like v4 to support syncing with icloud drive so i don't have to make a bunch of different wifi sync connections but otherwise it's fine

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

anthonypants posted:

i use v4 and can definitely add new items but i tried v6 when i upgraded to windows 10 last year and it was very bad so i went back to v4. i would like v4 to support syncing with icloud drive so i don't have to make a bunch of different wifi sync connections but otherwise it's fine

I don't think you'll ever get your wish, because 1Pass on Macs doesn't sync using iCloud Drive, but by some other implementation of iCloud file sharing, I think. On Macs, iCloud Drive data can be moved and manipulated like any other cloud storage, but the iCloud implementation 1Pass uses doesn't store data in that user-managed space.

For sure you'll never get your wish with that old, busted, never gonna be updated again v4 client.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
bit of a joke that 1p for android still doesnt support the new vault format unless you use it in conjunction with either dropbox or bonjour

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

minivanmegafun posted:

i don't know how anyone tolerates lastpass at all. every time I have to log in I go "oh, right" and spend forever looking for the secret I need

my typical experience with lastpass is that i try to log in, get an error about the browser plugin being out of date, try to update the browser plugin and have the installation fail, and then i just bother a coworker to give me the password instead

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

What do people think of dashlane? Or is 100% of the game split between KeepAss, 1pass, and LastPass these days?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

El Mero Mero posted:

What do people think of dashlane? Or is 100% of the game split between KeepAss, 1pass, and LastPass these days?
the game is "you are worse and dumber if you don't use any at all"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Plorkyeran posted:

my typical experience with lastpass is that i try to log in, get an error about the browser plugin being out of date, try to update the browser plugin and have the installation fail, and then i just bother a coworker to give me the password instead
i sometimes have issues with the 1password browser extension on my work laptop and it's sophos

• Locked thread