Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Lt. Tanaka posted:

why you have devoted so many insulting posts devoid of any critical thinking or informative content

hey sorry for stooping to the level of the hellthread ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

King Vidiot posted:

Uh oh, looks like this Terry is gettin' froggy.

make america drax dem sklounst again!

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

You're really just illustrating the fundamental difference between right wing and left wing imo; the right wing seem to literally not care about anyone beyond their immediate circle of people and gently caress everyone else as long as their circle is being taken care of and provided for.

Everything else is just "lol you don't even know those people stop handwringing!" Idk if it is a lack of empathy or something else but it's amazing how common that thread is in all political arguments. It's the direct root of like 95% of GOP positions. "gently caress you, got mine."

It's a beautiful thing to have empathy for the entire world and its inhabitants but how do you go about convincing a citizen living in a demolished Rust Belt state that they should continue voting against their own best interests by supporting presidents that pass trade agreements like NAFTA and the TPP?

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Fog Tripper posted:

Correlation != Causation.
I simply think you handwringers are a hoot.

"vehemently " lol

Then what was the point of the question?

"5 pages" lol

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Lt. Tanaka posted:

but how do you go about convincing a citizen living in a demolished Rust Belt state that they should continue voting against their own best interests by supporting presidents that pass trade agreements like NAFTA and the TPP?

couldn't they just vote Bernie?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lt. Tanaka posted:

It's a beautiful thing to have empathy for the entire world and its inhabitants but how do you go about convincing a citizen living in a demolished Rust Belt state that they should continue voting against their own best interests by supporting presidents that pass trade agreements like NAFTA and the TPP?

That wasn't a "that means you should have voted Hillary" thing, that was a "how are you insisting no one is affected by Trump's policies?" thing

Both parties suck, neither represents the people, we need a revolution of some kind. Arguing against Trump is not automatically support for Hillary.

A rising tide lifts all boats and a hosed up demolished Rust Belt worker has more in common with some schmuck laborer getting paid $1/day in SE Asia than he does with any American millionaire/billionaire.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

couldn't they just vote Bernie?

or that

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 9, 2017

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

T.S. Smelliot posted:

Of course he would he just won't be honest with himself about it that's why he identifies as a leftist

Aren't you the guy who is so afraid of marijuana that you want to keep imprisoning and using browns as slave labor for touching it?

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

It should be regulated by us in our own backyard, yes

So getting rid of the regulations in places to protect us is actually a super brilliant 438957348915732984th dimensional chess move by Trump to help the environment because

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Remember when clinton said she wanted to be like merkel?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/777152/migrant-crisis-female-refugees-raped-beaten-pimped-out

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Mordor She Wrote posted:

So getting rid of the regulations in places to protect us is actually a super brilliant 438957348915732984th dimensional chess move by Trump to help the environment because

"because since the government is evil, the regulations in place are actually bad for you (and for business) and must be destroyed, especially those from evil Obama"
~ some orange guy who really wants to protect and help Americans by helping big business

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

What's Trump's strategy regarding refugee camps? Closing his eyes and pretending they don't exist? Genuinely curious if has any plan to solve this

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

What's Trump's strategy regarding refugee camps? Closing his eyes and pretending they don't exist? Genuinely curious if has any plan to solve this

"If they're not here getting rape in sub human conditions, then I have the moral high ground" -Trump

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Since the article is about France, I assume he doesn't care. Do you mean in general? If they start popping up in the US, he'll probably take a page from Australia's playbook and move them all offshore while making it illegal for the press to report on conditions there. Horrible conditions in refugee camps is one of many reasons why it's usually better to integrate them, thereby gaining new productive members of society.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Rangpur posted:

Since the article is about France, I assume he doesn't care. Do you mean in general? If they start popping up in the US, he'll probably take a page from Australia's playbook and move them all offshore while making it illegal for the press to report on conditions there. Horrible conditions in refugee camps is one of many reasons why it's usually better to integrate them, thereby gaining new productive members of society.

inb4 Spunky and Smelliot say something about rapefugees and "r borders"

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Some regulations here are better than no regulations overseas? Maybe once we get the factories back we can work on making them cleaner? Instead of just dumping garbage on the 3rd world

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

it sounds like a french problem so idk rename french fries to freedom fries again at the capitol cafeteria

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

If a rape happens and no white Europeans are around, does it make a sound? Does it even happen?

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Maybe once we get the factories back we can work on making them cleaner?
we (society) should work on making factories cleaner, huh

sounds like you're suggesting that we govern (regulate, perhaps) the function of these factories to some degree?

interesting, interesting...

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Some regulations here are better than no regulations overseas? Maybe once we get the factories back we can work on making them cleaner? Instead of just dumping garbage on the 3rd world

Yes..the person who voted to repeal not dumping toxic waste in water, is going to totally use this as a feint to bring back factories and make them environmentally friendly, instead of just loving everything up here, you're totally not grasping at straws to justify your boner for Trump.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Yes..the person who voted to repeal not dumping toxic waste in water, is going to totally use this as a feint to bring back factories and make them environmentally friendly, instead of just loving everything up here, you're totally not grasping at straws to justify your boner for Trump.

Dude, he's not going to be president forever. If what it takes to get production back is some regulation decrease, it's better that way than just having no control over it whatsoever.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Dude, he's not going to be president forever. If what it takes to get production back is some regulation decrease, it's better that way than just having no control over it whatsoever.

"Look your only going to have deal with like, what, 8 years of toxic waste being dumped into the environment, destroying drinking water, watersheds, and the rest of the environment, maybe in 8 years a not literal retard will get elected and roll that back, didn't you think of that"

I mean, it's a brilliant plan obviously.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
whats going to stop them from just leaving again when you spring the old environmental regulations that drove them out in the first place

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
All great questions. All I know is that at this current juncture, all we do is cause factories to move overseas to exploit slaves and resources. Trump at least had a plan to get the factories back. I didn't hear anything better at the time.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Kjoery posted:

whats going to stop them from just leaving again when you spring the old environmental regulations that drove them out in the first place

Everyone will have learned their lesson and rampant consumerism will end, in this extremely capitalist economy that requires it to function and that I have no interest in changing :downs: -Spunky

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe if Hillary stopped saying "everything is good and chill, I'ma keep things good and chill" while people could barely afford to get the bills paid and keep gas in the tank while millennial 20 something year old trust fund babies are being given billions and billions of dollars for dubious 'unicorn' start up techs from wall street fat cats with so much capital they have nothing to do with it but gamble it away on TWTR and SNAP and Theranos snort coke all day long then people would have voted for her makes you think.

Maybe if she paid even token lip service to the working class instead of going "lol Fed says we're at full employment job market is great you guys! NASDAQ record highs!"

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 9, 2017

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

All great questions. All I know is that at this current juncture, all we do is cause factories to move overseas to exploit slaves and resources. Trump at least had a plan to get the factories back. I didn't hear anything better at the time.

cool, trump will bring slave jobs back!

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Mordor She Wrote posted:

"Look your only going to have deal with like, what, 8 years of toxic waste being dumped into the environment, destroying drinking water, watersheds, and the rest of the environment, maybe in 8 years a not literal retard will get elected and roll that back, didn't you think of that"

I mean, it's a brilliant plan obviously.

Yes those regulations did wonders to prevent the Colorado EPA spill and Flint water crisis.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

removing sufficient regulations in order to make the US comparable to the 3rd world in terms of environmental and worker protections is indeed a plan that a person can have, yes

vvvv this entire conversation has been re: environmental regulations dude

crime weed fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 9, 2017

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Spunky obv (imo I guess) meant the nixing of trade deals and protectionist tariff stuff he was talking about, versus Hillary who said nothing but "TPP is good."

Voters don't usually care about the environment when they are worried about putting food on the table.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Krustic posted:

Yes those regulations did wonders to prevent the Colorado EPA spill and Flint water crisis.
yea, maybe the regulations need work. you guys should get on strengthening them so that these things dont happen again

oh wait

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Kjoery posted:

removing sufficient regulations in order to make the US comparable to the 3rd world in terms of environmental and worker protections is indeed a plan that a person can have, yes

Has the EPA been disbanded? Has slavery been legalized?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

just wait

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

it doesnt matter, you were the one making the argument that sufficient environmental regulations must be axed in order to make the US viable for manufacturing

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
We are arguing abstractions here. It would be better if there were concrete details and actual regulations to discuss.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Well Private Prisons are back on the menu and they pretty much treat their prisoners like slave labor

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'ma just say that Germany has fairly strict environmental regulations and it doesn't seem to have hurt their manufacturing industry whatsoever, which is one of (of not the) strongest manufacturing industries in Europe.

Many of your iPhone bits are made in Deutschland then sent to China just for assembly, for example.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 9, 2017

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Ok great, I think everyone would agree nice clean factories and strong manufacturing is ideal. Lets aim for that

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Ok great, I think everyone would agree nice clean factories and strong manufacturing is ideal. Lets aim for that

I feel like you guys aren't even disagreeing really and you're being accused of using the "we gotta nix regulations in order to attract factories" talking point which... you aren't?

All you said was at least Trump had some plan to appeal to workers whereas Hillary had literally nothing.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

We are arguing abstractions here. It would be better if there were concrete details and actual regulations to discuss.
if you want to claim that the plan to remove environmental regulations will bring back jobs, you'll need to supply evidence. we can then discuss the evidence you provide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kjoery posted:

if you want to claim that the plan to remove environmental regulations will bring back jobs, you'll need to supply evidence

Did he say this though or is this something you're projecting onto his "at least Trump had a plan" comment?

Cuz again I think he was obv referring to the nixing of the trade deals and renegotiation of trade and tariff comments Trump was talking about during the election.

• Locked thread