Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Booourns posted:

How often is the first prototype Gundam really just a barebones proof of concept like this hah

The Gundam Mk.II? The AGE-1? The Strike, Victory, and Impulse, possibly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Booourns posted:

How often is the first prototype Gundam really just a barebones proof of concept like this hah

Quite often actually.

Rx-78 was just 'here is a functional all-purpose mobile suit."
The Duel Gundam and Astray Gundam were both entirely painfully standard machines, to the point Duel was the only one to get upgraded and Astrays got heavily customized.
The 0 Gundam was just the RX-78-2 with a GN Drive.
The AGE-1 Normal was, well, normal.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 9, 2017

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The Barbatos was also just a barebones generic Gundam when the series started and I haven't seen anything showing it having some sort of gimmick during the Calamity War.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Ethiser posted:

The Barbatos was also just a barebones generic Gundam when the series started and I haven't seen anything showing it having some sort of gimmick during the Calamity War.

it's not a prototype though.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

The Bael's gimmick is that it's white and blue, spiky, and has no nose, which is gundam shorthand for 'I am a gundam, except EVIL'

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ethiser posted:

It had been so stripped down it didn't even have shoulder armor. If it actually had some built-in weapons, they would've been lost or sold by CGS years before the show started. The two Gundams that we can assume were totally unfucked with since the Calamity War, the Flauros and the Bael, both have built-in weapons.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Guy Goodbody posted:

It had been so stripped down it didn't even have shoulder armor. If it actually had some built-in weapons, they would've been lost or sold by CGS years before the show started. The two Gundams that we can assume were totally unfucked with since the Calamity War, the Flauros and the Bael, both have built-in weapons.

Bael was even stated to have not be altered what so ever. Which is probably why it does not really have anything.

Heavily customizing it would probably be seen as disgracing Agnika as well.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Kimaris's two Season 1 loadouts were reportedly both from the Calamity War. The manual cockpit was the only significant modern alteration.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Did everyone forget the Bael can fly in atmosphere unassisted? It's the only Gundam Frame we've seen able to sustain a hover.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Barabtos 4th Form was supposedly rebuilt to it's Calamity War specs, wasn't it?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kanos posted:

Did everyone forget the Bael can fly in atmosphere unassisted? It's the only Gundam Frame we've seen able to sustain a hover.
While atmosphere flying is cool. It's kind of worthless in space as all of them can fly around.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 10, 2017

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ImpAtom posted:

The Barabtos 4th Form was supposedly rebuilt to it's Calamity War specs, wasn't it?

Probably just means actually repaired and tuned it back to up CW specs, rather than literally being a restoration of its CW loadout.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

Argas posted:

Probably just means actually repaired and tuned it back to up CW specs, rather than literally being a restoration of its CW loadout.

The Gundam wiki, based off a translation posted on some forum by some dude, says that the 4th form was the Barbatos returned to it's original appearance and close to it's original specifications. If that's accurate, it leaves enough wiggle room that at some point down the line they can release a "Calamaity War Ver." with a shoulder gun or something

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

Nah, any suit with a decent set of thrusters can do that. We saw the Vidar hovering in the exact same way in the Bael's inaugural episode.

ImpAtom posted:

Close to them, but not exactly them. For instance, the buckler on the first form was a Calamity War relic, according to the manual, while the fourth form just used the standard armour for both arms.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm not sure how someone can blame their loses on Earth on an alliance with McGillis since it didn't really exist yet. The whole fiasco was a ploy orchestrated by Rustal to embarrass McG by showing he couldn't handle his primary responsibility of keeping the peace on Earth. Tekkadan was used solely because it was believed that they would be easily manipulated due to being space rat child soldiers (i.e. due to a lack of respect resulting from a lack of status).

Because that's what happens when you have nice poo poo and aren't respected, rude dudes show up to gently caress you up and take your poo poo. Orga knows this and that was the lever/bait McGillis used to draw them into the whole crazy "King of Mars" idea.

And they weren't going to be able to stay in Teiwaz anyway because Jasley was always going to gently caress them over out of greed and resentment.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 10, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

paragon1 posted:

And they weren't going to be able to stay in Teiwaz anyway because Jasley was always going to gently caress them over out of greed and resentment.

Being allied with McGillis was what indirectly got Jasley in bed with Iok wasn't it? Figuring he could play off both sides and walk out with Teiwaz under his control and Gjallarhorn owing him favours.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Nah, jasley was pissed at tekkadan at the beginning of the season. He really hates the mars kids getting attention from daddy mafia. And he had a grudge against naze regardless. That probably had way more to do than mcgiilis.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tae posted:

Nah, jasley was pissed at tekkadan at the beginning of the season. He really hates the mars kids getting attention from daddy mafia. And he had a grudge against naze regardless. That probably had way more to do than mcgiilis.

He's been pissed, but it took the McGillis deal to get Iok all in.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tae posted:

Nah, he spells out that he thinks a rapidly-growing Gjallarhorn-allied player within the organisation would be fatally destabilising to Teiwaz, and his fears are confirmed by the whole 'Kings of Mars' thing.

As for the Arianrhod Fleet, they know that McGillis is allied with Tekkadan from Gaelio, and the Dawn Horizon action confirms that the alliance will continue (and that action also represents a questionable power-play outside of McGillis's jurisdiction that results in brief armed combat between Arianrhod and Tekkadan). Orga could just have gone 'gently caress no, we're not going to race for your glory against the most powerful fleet in the solar system', and Earth would have been considerably less likely to happen the way it did.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lets be serious here, as long as Orga had ambitions he was going to eventually get into Jasley's face. It was the loving space mafia

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Lets be serious here, as long as Orga had ambitions he was going to eventually get into Jasley's face. It was the loving space mafia

Sure, but it wouldn't have gone as catastrophically as it did without them giving the idea to Jasley to get Gjallarhorn involved.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Not now, but jasley had the scheme to frame anyone with illegal weapons in his pocket and he wanted to be king of the mafia eventually, the only thing mcgillis did was accerelate the timeline.

Jasley loving over the group was an eventual event.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

Not now, but jasley had the scheme to frame anyone with illegal weapons in his pocket and he wanted to be king of the mafia eventually, the only thing mcgillis did was accerelate the timeline.

You mean the one with Dainsleifs hot out of a Gjallarhorn storage facility?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tae posted:

That was Iok's plan not Jasleys.

Jasley would have eventually acted against them probbably. But he would not have been successful at all if not for Ioks help. Who was helping him because of his grudge.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's also worth remembering that Jasley's dissatisfaction with McMurdo had a lot to do with him letting the obvious Trojan horse that was Tekkadan into Teiwaz and then giving them free reign. Let's be honest, here, he probably wasn't even wrong - if they'd taken over Mars, it would only have been a matter of time before McGillis talked them into taking over Teiwaz from the inside. Having the rulers of a planet as a subsidiary is just not a sustainable situation.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

chiasaur11 posted:

He's been pissed, but it took the McGillis deal to get Iok all in.

Iok was always all in on loving with McGillis to begin with due to being a full throated Rustal supporter, and went all in on loving with Tekkadan too after the Hashmal incident.

You really can't lay Iok being Iok at anyone else's feet.

Darth Walrus posted:

It's also worth remembering that Jasley's dissatisfaction with McMurdo had a lot to do with him letting the obvious Trojan horse that was Tekkadan into Teiwaz and then giving them free reign. Let's be honest, here, he probably wasn't even wrong - if they'd taken over Mars, it would only have been a matter of time before McGillis talked them into taking over Teiwaz from the inside. Having the rulers of a planet as a subsidiary is just not a sustainable situation.

Uh no, he was pissed that he didn't get the super valuable mine on Mars. Tekkadan was never a Trojan horse and never had free reign within Teiwaz, they were pretty much always subordinate junior partners. Jasley didn't know dick about the whole King of Mars thing.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 11, 2017

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
edit nvm

booksnake fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 11, 2017

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Jasley wanted what they had and didn't respect/fear them enough to not try and take it through skullduggery and naked force, and the whole set of events with him just drove Orga to further commit to supporting Crazy McG's Planetary Coup Fun Times.

It's almost as though there's some kind of running theme this season.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Iok was always all in on loving with McGillis to begin with due to being a full throated Rustal supporter, and went all in on loving with Tekkadan too after the Hashmal incident.

You really can't lay Iok being Iok at anyone else's feet.

Uh no, he was pissed that he didn't get the super valuable mine on Mars. Tekkadan was never a Trojan horse and never had free reign within Teiwaz, they were pretty much always subordinate junior partners. Jasley didn't know dick about the whole King of Mars thing.

He knew that they were openly working with Gjallarhorn, and that their connections with McGillis's faction were a key source of the power and prestige that let them get such an exalted position within Teiwaz so fast (with a half-metal mine, combat-testing privileges with Teiwaz's newest and best suits, and so on). He didn't initially know about the Kings of Mars thing (though I believe it got brought up in a Teiwaz meeting shortly before he moved on the Turbines, with him and McMurdo discussing its merits), but he was totally right about their divided loyalties making them a threat to Teiwaz's stability.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Jasley never once mentioned that he feared McG eventually taking over. His only concern was "These dudes are growing too fast and at this rate they'll knock me down as second in command of the organization" he was right, Naze was going to be the capo effectively knocking over Jasley.

The running theme this season is that people are going to do some incredibly dirty poo poo to maintain the status quo, and its not just GH doing it

e- Holy poo poo you are creating a poo poo ton of none existent context trying to paint motherfucking jasley as someone thats concerned about Teiwaz. The loving dude that had space jesus crucified, that was trying to take over the all woman group in the organization to loving exploit them, that tried to get his boss arrested to take full control of the organization.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 11, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, Jasley was literally just "I want to be on top also gently caress children/women/the vulnerable/space Jesus"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Jasley never once mentioned that he feared McG eventually taking over. His only concern was "These dudes are growing too fast and at this rate they'll knock me down as second in command of the organization" he was right, Naze was going to be the capo effectively knocking over Jasley.

The running theme this season is that people are going to do some incredibly dirty poo poo to maintain the status quo, and its not just GH doing it

e- Holy poo poo you are creating a poo poo ton of none existent context trying to paint motherfucking jasley as someone thats concerned about Teiwaz. The loving dude that had space jesus crucified, that was trying to take over the all woman group in the organization to loving exploit them, that tried to get his boss arrested to take full control of the organization.

I'm not pretending it's a matter of morality. Only that he was probably right that his position was under threat, and that he was a viper that Tekkadan really could have avoided stepping on as hard as they did if Orga had backed off a little in his mad rush for power. There does seem to be a general theme in this season of 'Jesus Christ stop poking the tiger why are you doing that', and I can't help but suspect that it might have something to do with the protagonists being named after the child soldiers who got horribly butchered at Okinawa. Remember that going after America was also framed as an inevitable conflict that Japan had to fight for its own survival against enemies who denied their humanity (and totally not just a thoughtless grab for power for power's sake, honest).

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

lol. Ummm yes I know that your birth or position in an organization allows you to loving trample over me, I should just mind myself and not stir too much trouble I guess *A model colonist in the IBO universe*

McG might be loving insane, but at least now you know why people follow him when he argues that people should be allowed to compete evenly regardless of their birth or position in an organization.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

lol. Ummm yes I know that your birth or position in an organization allows you to loving trample over me, I should just mind myself and not stir too much trouble I guess *A model colonist in the IBO universe*

McG might be loving insane, but at least now you know why people follow him when he argues that people should be allowed to compete evenly regardless of their birth or position in an organization.

The thing was that after Edmonton, Tekkadan had made their mark. They were in a really nice, comfortable position, and while their rivals were grumbling, they weren't really doing anything. The problems arose and kept escalating as Orga got them more and more involved in an untrustworthy, unstable ally's civil war in order to bring them to a nebulous, unspecified goal.

There's a difference between eating poo poo 24/7 under the heel of your oppressors, and picking a fight with a goddamned Kodiak bear because your weird friend offered you a grand, and it's the tragedy of Tekkadan, an organisation defined by constant, dynamic motion, that it doesn't know where to stop.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The idea is that if you are capable then you shouldnt loving stop. You aren't going to stop climbing a corporate ladder because someone is in a peg and its "their turn", your skills should be the primary factor for it. As a manager, its not up to you to cripple someones growth because you are afraid of them taking your spot, you should be actively promoting the growth of all of your subordinates, because even if they cant grow over you, you aren't going to be there forever. Jasley and Naze's views on Tekkadan were polar opposites, and its pretty loving easy to look at the shows TEXT to see which one they are pegging as the right one without creating a bunch of context out of thin air.

Also, you are arguing that you should just perpetuate a hosed up system just because you are already in a comfortable position within an organization. Thats how IBOs world got to the point it is. The people at the top will violently put down any of the people rebelling and the people in the middle wont really do anything about it because why shake the boat, Im ok right now.

Anyways here are the twitter previews for sundays episode.

https://imgur.com/a/oIcmr#qLuLOXh

You would assume that Bael was in McGs ship, so how did it get to Earth? Did the redshirt let him pass? Did McG switch it out to the isaribi once he knew the dude was going to betray them? Apparently the preview mentions Iok is going to ask Rustal to let him do something? That Nobliss is planning something?

And the staff roster and episode name for EP 48 was posted in the tv guide. EP is named Promise and Obari is doing mecha art. I hope they dont loving waste Obari on some talking episode.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 11, 2017

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Darth Walrus posted:

The thing was that after Edmonton, Tekkadan had made their mark. They were in a really nice, comfortable position, and while their rivals were grumbling, they weren't really doing anything.

We're just going to ignore the space pirate invasion launched by their rivals doing something, then?

Darth Walrus posted:

and that their connections with McGillis's faction were a key source of the power and prestige that let them get such an exalted position within Teiwaz so fast (with a half-metal mine, combat-testing privileges with Teiwaz's newest and best suits, and so on).
This is just flat out wrong. We don't really know McMurdo's exact reasoning behind letting them have the mine (general fondness, wanting to strengthen people he knows return loyalty with loyalty, the fact that their main base is like, right the gently caress there anyway), and the suits came in through the Turbines who were as close an ally as they've ever had.Turbines probably gets them because they have amazing combat pilots and are also loyal.

The only commentary we've seen from the Teiwaz brass re: Tekkadan's Gjallahorn connection was to be pissed off to the point that Naze had to offer extreme reassurances.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

paragon1 posted:

We're just going to ignore the space pirate invasion launched by their rivals doing something, then?

Which they beat. They could have left it alone afterwords Gjallerhorn was planning on dealing with them as well. Tekkaden got involved and allied with McGillis to take them down in order to boost their rep.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The idea is that if you are capable then you shouldnt loving stop. You aren't going to stop climbing a corporate ladder because someone is in a peg and its "their turn", your skills should be the primary factor for it. As a manager, its not up to you to cripple someones growth because you are afraid of them taking your spot, you should be actively promoting the growth of all of your subordinates, because even if they cant grow over you, you aren't going to be there forever. Jasley and Naze's views on Tekkadan were polar opposites, and its pretty loving easy to look at the shows TEXT to see which one they are pegging as the right one without creating a bunch of context out of thin air.

Also, you are arguing that you should just perpetuate a hosed up system just because you are already in a comfortable position within an organization. Thats how IBOs world got to the point it is. The people at the top will violently put down any of the people rebelling and the people in the middle wont really do anything about it because why shake the boat, Im ok right now.

Anyways here are the twitter previews for sundays episode.

https://imgur.com/a/oIcmr#qLuLOXh

You would assume that Bael was in McGs ship, so how did it get to Earth? Did the redshirt let him pass? Did McG switch it out to the isaribi once he knew the dude was going to betray them? Apparently the preview mentions Iok is going to ask Rustal to let him do something? That Nobliss is planning something?

And the staff roster and episode name for EP 48 was posted in the tv guide. EP is named Promise and Obari is doing mecha art. I hope they dont loving waste Obari on some talking episode.

Naze himself felt Tekkadan should stop being so aggressive. He told it to Orga. That he seemed to have no clue were he was going and was just in a rush to get there.

Bael is on Mars in that shot not earth.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 11, 2017

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Bael is on Mars in that shot not earth.

Oh poo poo, I misspoke, I meant mars.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

MonsterEnvy posted:

Which they beat. They could have left it alone afterwords Gjallerhorn was planning on dealing with them as well. Tekkaden got involved and allied with McGillis to take them down in order to boost their rep.

Yes, so that people will stop sending Space Pirates and other ne'er-do-wells to murder them and take their poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I think that even had Tekkadan not continued the fight with the pirates, and the pirates didn't attack Tekkadan in the meantime and gets cleaned up by Gjallarhorn, a lot of poo poo that did happen like the Earth Branch's arc would've still happened.

• Locked thread