Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordja posted:

I think it's more likely that it will be a very faithful throwback to N64 era 3D platformers, and a lot of people are going to find that they're not a fan of that type of game anymore.

Yep, this is my expectation. I think "3D platformer collect-a-thon" is just the pinnacle of a kind of game that owns when you're a kid and probably not when you're an adult. Going back and replaying old ones can still be fun sometimes because you can bask in the rosy glow of nostalgia, but a new one's going to have a tough hill to climb to win over an audience.

It's the exact kind of thing that can lead to a successful crowdfunding campaign but not necessarily a successful game.

Ciaphas posted:

I still haven't played past world 1 of 3D world, I should get back to that

3D World is good as hell. I know I've seen some complaints that it doesn't do as much as previous Mario games with revisiting and iterating on mechanics across levels, but I think the freshness of each new stage more than makes up for it. And at the same time, I think people miss how often you come across expanded or more complex version of level mechanics you've encountered before in later areas, especially once the designers know you've definitely done the level where the mechanic first showed up by now, so they can twist it and play with it some more.

Also the music is super cheery and catchy and warm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Mario 3D World kicks rear end, and has some of the best platforming. Champion's Road is top fuckin notch Nintendo work

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Like if Rare took the lesson from Donkey Kong Country that "Players love collecting poo poo", I would say they learned the wrong lesson

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Open world collectathons can be a lot of fun and I have faith that yooka laylee will at least be on the level of banjo tooie, and not DK64, a game which had waaaay too much going on. Banjo tooie was already pretty much at the limit of way too much stuff going on, mostly due to the size of the worlds and the backtracking. The interconnections between levels were neat but unfortunately there were a lot of points (in my experience at least) where you'd go somewhere new and find out you couldn't progress and would have to back track to get whatever you needed to progress further. Grunty Industries suffered a lot from this imo. Compare this to levels in Banjo Kazooie where they tended to be smaller and even the most complicated levels had some easy method of traversing them, except maybe mad monster mansion.

Basically what I'm saying is that banjo tooie needed its levels to be a little more compact and also needed more flight pads :v:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Like if Rare took the lesson from Donkey Kong Country that "Players love collecting poo poo", I would say they learned the wrong lesson

Well if it is any consolation, I distinctly recall the yooka laylee dev team mentioning something about how they weren't going to go overboard like they did with DK64, that they understand what made DK64 so annoying and tedious

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
DK64 was a lot of fun but it was bizarre how much of the game they expected you to actually do, including beating the original Donkey Kong on a single credit. If you didn't collect like 95% of the things it gated you out of the end boss if I'm remembering right, that or you got a crappy ending.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

haveblue posted:

Next up is Full Throttle, should be showing up sometime this year.

I'll allow it.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

Since they made remasters of Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, and Day of the Tentacle, I hope they are able to do a Hit the Road remaster at some point. With original voices of course, since the Telltale VAs just don't match up.

Hit the road lost all its steam after about two hours of gameplay, I'd rather see a remake of curse of monkey island.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Macaluso posted:

If I remember right there was a puzzle in at least one of the games where you had to have the actual case of the game to solve it. There was a thing on a wall in a code that you needed to decipher and you couldn't actually decipher it with anything in game, you needed to look up the legend or something on the case or in the instruction book or whatever.

It's funny how prevalent things like that were back in the day. Not so much things trying to stop you from pirating games like that, but more things that are just like "why would I ever know that?". There's a part in Castlevania II where you have to like... hold down on the edge of a lake to make stairs appear to go down past the lake?? Like how would you ever know to do that? Perhaps one of the townsfolks said some weird cryptic poo poo that vaguely resembled doing that but who knows

The old school adventure games, and most PC games that could be copied to a disc, usually had something like this as a form of copy protection. The Cliffs of Logic required the player to know the language in the manual to make sure only players who had the manual could progress. An earlier King's Quest (3?) had a list of spells in the manual that the player needed to type throughout the game, and Freddy Pharkus required players to have access to the chemistry information that came packaged with the game. Of course, making a copy of the information and including it with the bootleg wasn't an insurmountable hurdles which led developers to think of other ways the verify a purchase. The Who Framed Roger Rabbit game game my mom owned included a decoder wheel that, when I lost it after playing around, made the game unopenable.

Macaluso posted:

I think Yooka and Laylee look fine, Yooka mostly. The rest on the other hand

I can't stop seeing C-Button prompts in her bandana.

In other news, I've been playing Nier 2 and will echo what a previous poster said: I went in with Nier's twist in mind and every hour that passes feels like the game is really playing off that with a giant toothy grin.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Visual novel chat:

I've been playing Root Double and I love it so far. It's got an interesting system where instead of standard vn choices, you decide if you trust/like a given character in any specific situation. This leads to basic game overs like deciding you're clearly more competent than this rescue worker, so you run into the burning room, get your hair caught on fire, panic, run into a fire hose's stream, and get thrown into a wall and die due to a head injury.

Which is to say it's dumb and hilarious, but I really like how it works? It helps that the game tells you "you died because you set the trust-o-meter like this. Don't do that." when you get gameovers.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
banjo-kazooie is still pretty good, tooie and dk64 are not quite. it has less to do with being collectathon platformers and more to do with tooie and dk64 just having some interesting aspects that are buried in a giant slum of tedious design and them being the ones most people seem to remember and go back to, while banjo-kazooie is very tightly packed and full of cool, fun world design and challenges

also i still really like the more open old 3d mario games and i'm actually not a big fan of more linear mario design at all outside of, like, super mario galaxy or the secret course stages in sunshine. i don't like 2d mario games

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

While we're talking adventure games - Syberia 3 releases next month and although I felt like the story was already wrapped up I'm still looking forward to it because hell, it's Sokal.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EvbqxBUG_c

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

While we're talking adventure games - Syberia 3 releases next month and although I felt like the story was already wrapped up I'm still looking forward to it because hell, it's Sokal.

... Didn't Syberia 2 come out like, over a decade ago?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sierra games were largely awful and I don't understand people who prefer them to Lucasarts games. Yeah yeah, "you can die" but that's not a selling point to me.

Police Quest was kinda neat if only for the fact that following procedure was part of the game design. That's unique!

Mak0rz posted:

I agree that they are ugly, but I find it charming.

I think they're trying to mimic the style of awful pre-rendered concept art from 90's gaming magazines

I need to replay Mario RPG.

I made a goomba, koopa paratroopa and a mario out of bakeable clay based on the art of the player's guide when I was a little kid. I still have the Mario :D

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

suuma posted:

Yooka-Laylee looks really cool in the retro n64 collect stuff platformer sense of the game but all of the videos I've seen seem to be like 90% open space.

Maybe i'm just misremembering Banjo Kazooie.

Banjo Kazooie yes, but Tooie's levels suffered from that quite a bit

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Mario RPG is one of the all time great JRPGs along with Chrono Trigger and Earthbound, discuss.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Mario RPG is one of the all time great JRPGs along with Chrono Trigger and Earthbound, discuss.

What's to discuss? You're right.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
People don't praise its writing as much as the Paper Marios but Mario RPG has some real top notch lines

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think Geno looked dumb

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

Not much to discuss wrt this true statement. The game's super charming and fun, and being easy and grind-free is one of the reasons it's a classic.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8dWYAqonus

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

I keep hearing about Ever17 and Remember11 - is there any legit way to get those games? Any digital distribution at all?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Kai Tave posted:

I mean, yeah.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LCm6tXCLbE

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I think Geno looked dumb

He's a naked blue badass

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
But Mallow is the superior OC party member

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

xedo posted:

I keep hearing about Ever17 and Remember11 - is there any legit way to get those games? Any digital distribution at all?

Import the games from Japan, then apply the fanmade patches. Other than that, nope, sorry. :(

I'd say that they're worth it, but play the Zero Escape series first, as well as Root Double. Those games will tell you better than anyone else if you're interested in reading their earlier works.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Like I know it's nostalgia talking but I miss the Squaresoft of my misspent childhood.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

Like I know it's nostalgia talking but I miss the Squaresoft of my misspent childhood.

It's not nostalgia, the SNES and early PSX era were their golden years.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Square Enix still makes awesome RPGs all the time

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Like possible GOTY Nier Automata, out now

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Super Mario RPG is a good game that did a good job making towns and dungeons interesting to explore via platforming and it helped give it its own unique style and feel. Super Mario RPG is a good SNES game. Also the way Mario communicated was cool.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3fI6e8Rvgc

:dance:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

In Training posted:

Square Enix still makes awesome RPGs all the time

No they don't.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

https://i.imgur.com/LP61Fzz.gifv

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Scrublord Prime posted:

Also the way Mario communicated was cool.

I like when he speaks his beautiful native tongue in the Mario & Luigi games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj84qXDT8S0

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

I like when he speaks his beautiful native tongue in the Mario & Luigi games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj84qXDT8S0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vtYHPSTUho

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

No they don't.

Yeah, I'm gonna be charitable and say they sometimes make cool games but uh FF13 wasn't great shakes, they had to remake their MMO because it was kinda bad, and as a publisher they seem to make a lot of shall we say questionable decisions like what happened with Mankind Divided. Maybe Hitman depending on how strongly you feel about always-online. Nier Automata might be the best thing with the Square name on it to come out recently but it's also worth pointing out that Square didn't make that one, they just published it, Yoko Taro and Platinum were the ones responsible for making it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Square-Enix is the publisher of many good recent RPGs, such as Life is Strange and Tomb Raider.

• Locked thread