Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jack Anderson posted:

People love to talk up Gen 1 pokemon as being the best but yeah most of them were lazy.

I mean, one design was literally just a DUCK with a LEEK.

You choose that and not the six balls with eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
a good number of pokemon can be described as "just an X", i think it's unfair to call it lazy tho, or do you want pokemon to be more like digimon and have numerous extraneous details on stuff like pidgey and rattata

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
You say that like Pokemon wouldn't be improved by the addition of a cybernetic dragon :colbert:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Regalingualius posted:

See also: Unova's bat 'mon vs Zubat.

I personally agree, but a lot of people like to whine that this is lazy, even though Swoobat is a completely different take on the concept.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

AlphaKretin posted:

I personally agree, but a lot of people like to whine that this is lazy, even though Swoobat is a completely different take on the concept.

if there's anything i've learned it's that those people are going to whine no matter what

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Jack Anderson posted:

People love to talk up Gen 1 pokemon as being the best but yeah most of them were lazy.

Farfetch'd is amazing :colbert:
He uses his leek like a sword!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

mandatory lesbian posted:

a good number of pokemon can be described as "just an X", i think it's unfair to call it lazy tho, or do you want pokemon to be more like digimon and have numerous extraneous details on stuff like pidgey and rattata

I think it's more a retort to Gen1 elitism, i.e. rebuffing "new gens are stupid because look, this pokemon is just an ice cream cone or just a garbage bag" with "gen1 was just as bad, this pokemon is a loving pokeball and this one is a half-dozen eggs".

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

I think it's more a retort to Gen1 elitism, i.e. rebuffing "new gens are stupid because look, this pokemon is just an ice cream cone or just a garbage bag" with "gen1 was just as bad, this pokemon is a loving pokeball and this one is a half-dozen eggs".

that's fine and dandy but i think it's a massive disservice to the designers of the pokemon to call them lazy designs

a better word would be uninspired or boring, i won't argue against that

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Lazy is easier to say and faster to type :effort:

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Lazy is easier to say and faster to type :effort:

So it's a lazy retort? :v:

I'll see myself out, cheers

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jack Anderson posted:

Leek duck is the walking embodiment of a Japanese expression though, which is actually kind of cute.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

Dinictus posted:

So it's a lazy retort? :v:

And now I'm just thinking of some sort of tortoise pokemon that uses counter and has behaviors similar to snorlax/slaking.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

i would like them to do somewhere that sees almost no representation, like any region of africa, above any place in europe

loquacius posted:

I do not trust a Japanese-made game set in subsaharan Africa to not be incredibly racist

i'd rather they try and fail then not try at all, tbh

also pokemon seems to be pretty good nowadays about not being offensive, like the hawaii region wasn't tremendously racist as far as i know

Resident Evil.

loquacius posted:

e: Hawaii has a local cuisine that is literally called poke and I'm kind of disappointed they didn't do anything with that

Eating slowpoke tails was weird enough for me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jack Anderson posted:

I mean, one design was literally just a SEAL.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
didn't know gamefreak made resident evil

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Sacherturt - Fairy/Normal

The Sugar Crust Pokemon

This Pokemon reminiscent of a turtle ingests so many sweets that it secretes a viscous coating of sugar that will eventually harden over time, growing thicker and thicker over the years if it's regularly fed a wide variety of desserts. Many trainers will feed it certain things to create varied swirls of color in its shell.

This form of defense has its drawbacks, though, as many other Pokemon would like nothing more than to snack on the crystalline growths on its back.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

didn't know gamefreak made resident evil

You are correct, which is why is the quotes it is specifying Japanese made. There is reason for caution. Also if you get Poke-Britain wrong the only people complaining are not-customers and possibly Sikh's asking for representation.

Last Celebration posted:

Leek duck is the walking embodiment of a Japanese expression though, which is actually kind of cute.

expound drat you!

edit: also was poke-Hawaii racist or just enough borrow to offend the already offended?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Herr Tog posted:

expound drat you!

The expression is "A duck comes bearing leeks" which basically means "something unexpected but fortunate" since, well, a duck just walked in front of you with a leek. Not really subtle, but you kind of have to be Japanese to get it without an explanation.

Kinda like Stantler (it's name is deer scarer which is their name for scarecrows and also it's antlers looks like a specific kind of one).

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Last Celebration posted:

The expression is "A duck comes bearing leeks" which basically means "something unexpected but fortunate" since, well, a duck just walked in front of you with a leek. Not really subtle, but you kind of have to be Japanese to get it without an explanation.

Kinda like Stantler (it's name is deer scarer which is their name for scarecrows and also it's antlers looks like a specific kind of one).

These tickle me something fierce. I am reminded why I love pokemon sometimes.

Also Farfetch'd is a good name and a good pokemon

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Herr Tog posted:

You are correct, which is why is the quotes it is specifying Japanese made. There is reason for caution. Also if you get Poke-Britain wrong the only people complaining are not-customers and possibly Sikh's asking for representation.

you're just making the same post as loquacious, but longer. should i make the same response post but longer in return, or how does this work

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
What you two should do is hush before it becomes a complete goddamn mess.

Or at least take it to the general Pokemon thread if it's not about Garlikid's stunning four-pack or arranging PUSSYMASHER's funeral.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
I don't think the gen 1 designs are necessarily better or more inspired than recent gens, but there's something about the art direction that's changed over time and makes newer pokes feel a little off to me somehow, less organic. It's hard to pin down exactly and isn't always the case but, like, compare the wings of original Charizard to Mega Charizard X. One is a cartoony bat wing that has some suggestion of anatomy and the other is a bunch of flags hanging on a pointy branch.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Or at least take it to the general Pokemon thread if it's not about Garlikid's stunning four-pack or arranging PUSSYMASHER's funeral.

do you think the mc of pokemon says good game after every battle, even if it wasn't

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Chop up some of Farfetch'd's leek and crush up a garlikid, we'll have a nice roast PUSSYMASHER for dinner.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

do you think the mc of pokemon says good game after every battle, even if it wasn't

Only losers says good game. - Gary Oak

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

Kyrosiris posted:

Pretty much this.

Also gently caress why didn't I think of Seel

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

is it four or six? I cant tell

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
RIP PUSSYMASHER you died as you lived. In shame and failure.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You say that like Pokemon wouldn't be improved by the addition of a cybernetic dragon :colbert:

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

:colbert: That is CLEARLY a time pony, not a cybernetic dragon.

Seriously though basically all three of Sinnoh's mascot legendaries look like cybernetic dragons, even if only one has the typing for it.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

gen 1 also had the most lazy rear end names in the original japanese version. Zapdos's japanese name is Thunder and jolteon's name is Thunders

also, whatever the heck led them to making Mr. Mime.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

bringing the worst discussion from the magic thread into this one is a very bold move

the real question is if theo is a sore loser even if he says good game after Dick Solomon, Ace Battler, beats the poo poo out of him, or if the magic words change his status as a whiny little poo poo

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

beru04 posted:

Garlikid...

Does he evolve into Garlibuzz?

Considering this game? I'm expecting him to evolve into a Blooming Onion.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

That only fulfills the 'dragon' half of the equation, unless Dialga has blinking LEDs under that dome.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Herr Tog posted:

edit: also was poke-Hawaii racist or just enough borrow to offend the already offended?

To finally answer this question, as someone who has lived in Hawai for a few years now and has several friends that have spent their whole lives here, general consensus is its fine. There are actually a lot of really cute references and nods to the culture that other players might miss, showing that they did put a good bit of effort in to things. I'm not speaking for everyone and I'll be someone somewhere is raising a fuss over it, but everyone I've personally talked to about it has had no issue and liked it a lot.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

That only fulfills the 'dragon' half of the equation, unless Dialga has blinking LEDs under that dome.

His eyes glow, and he is a Steel type which is about as close as we can get to a robot. Personally, I think Zygarde hit peak Digimon. Especially in the anime.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Like Clockwork posted:

:colbert: That is CLEARLY a time pony, not a cybernetic dragon.

Seriously though basically all three of Sinnoh's mascot legendaries look like cybernetic dragons, even if only one has the typing for it.

They're also all hideous. Goddamn.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If an amish buggy can have blue ricer LEDs underneath it so can Dialga

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
A bigger question wrt Jynx:

Why on earth was "frostbitten corpse" even on the list of designs?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Asehujiko posted:

A bigger question wrt Jynx:

Why on earth was "frostbitten corpse" even on the list of designs?

Jynx is a barnacle and a reference to the Yuki-onna. Barbaracle and Froslass do the concepts better, but I'm pretty sure Jynx was a last-minute addition to give Lorelei another ice-type to use.

Now if only someone could explain Cloyster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Jynx is a barnacle and a reference to the Yuki-onna. Barbaracle and Froslass do the concepts better, but I'm pretty sure Jynx was a last-minute addition to give Lorelei another ice-type to use.

Now if only someone could explain Cloyster.

What's there to explain? It's a hardcore badass spiky war-oyster that shoots spikes. And it looks like a vagina because the Japanese are very sexually repressed.

Hammurabi fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 10, 2017

• Locked thread