Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Kalli posted:

But really, just cutting the chaff from Monday Night Countdown could probably makeup a sizable chunk of those cuts.

Yeah, they could easily save a few million just by cutting down the 20-man MNF panel all mugging for TV time every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

what if they get rid of dilfer and a whole nation falls into dark ages ignorance about whether your need ELITE PLAY from the QUARTERBACK POSITION in the (dilfer pauses and inflates his throat sacs to make himself look larger and more menacing ) NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Kalli posted:

Maliciously hoping Barnwell gets let go so he can go rejoin Mays at the Ringer.

But really, just cutting the chaff from Monday Night Countdown could probably makeup a sizable chunk of those cuts.

This is a complaint I have for every NFL pregame show.

You don't need 5 ex players on there making corny jokes, using dumbed down lingo, and tossing out softer hot takes to each other. CBS in the 70's/80's had this figured out.

-One solid studio guy. (Brent Musburger) who anchors the crew.
-One female reporter (Phyllis George) who goes behind the scenes, covers player's day to day lives, goes out in the field, etc.
-One ex-player. (Irv Cross)
-One degenerate gambler (Jimmy "I said some really horrible racist poo poo" The Greek")

Do this for a half hour. Boom. That's all that was ever needed.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
But who would ESPN get to be their horribly racist old man? They already fired Ditka

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

AsInHowe posted:

But who would ESPN get to be their horribly racist old man? They already fired Ditka

Get the Ryan brothers, they'll be ridiculous and crude but entertaining as hell.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

Well guess who'd be coming BACKBACKBACKBACKBACKBACK

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Let me sell you on Tylenol Du-Du-Du and booze.
It's got that POP!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Mouth breathing dipshit Clay Travis is yukking it up about ESPN's subscriber losses and saying it's because of their politics; meanwhile he has no explanation for why FS1 lost even more subscribers

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ElwoodCuse posted:

Mouth breathing dipshit Clay Travis is yukking it up about ESPN's subscriber losses and saying it's because of their politics; meanwhile he has no explanation for why FS1 lost even more subscribers

I think it's safe to say at this point that FS1 as a competitor to ESPN was stillborn. At least NBCSN knows it doesn't have a chance against it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

I think it's safe to say at this point that FS1 as a competitor to ESPN was stillborn. At least NBCSN knows it doesn't have a chance against it.

Y'know what the funny thing is? NBCSN actually added subscribers. Not a ton, mind you, but the fact that they aren't losing them is a victory in and of itself.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I always figured that ESPN, FS1, and NBCSports were all part of the same sports package on cable. Is there a way for someone to add NBCSN, but drop ESPN and FS1? Or is this a byproduct of NBCSN working there way onto more main cable packages and being less of an add on thing?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

I always figured that ESPN, FS1, and NBCSports were all part of the same sports package on cable. Is there a way for someone to add NBCSN, but drop ESPN and FS1? Or is this a byproduct of NBCSN working there way onto more main cable packages and being less of an add on thing?

The latter

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Bird in a Blender posted:

On sling I have NBCSN and FS1 but not ESPN but that's probably a fringe case

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

People want NBCSN because of the premier league. Only sport without easily accessible digital alternatives, no competitor access, full league at no added cost. You basically get the stupid add-on bundles the other leagues have for free.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Jackie D posted:

On sling I have NBCSN and FS1 but not ESPN but that's probably a fringe case

Sling breaks their deal up into two things. One gets your all the fox and all the nbc stuff, the other gets all the disney stuff.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Basically the parent company will cut a deal for all of their networks and try to leverage the more popular ones to get the lesser ones on the basic packages.

NBCS growing in audience is the result of this.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

sportsgenius86 posted:

Basically the parent company will cut a deal for all of their networks and try to leverage the more popular ones to get the lesser ones on the basic packages.

NBCS growing in audience is the result of this.

Turner Sports: "Oh, you guys want TNT for the NBA and March Madness? Well, you have to take this lovely truTV channel that nobody watches outside 2 weeks of the year."

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Benne posted:

Turner Sports: "Oh, you guys want TNT for the NBA and March Madness? Well, you have to take this lovely truTV channel that nobody watches outside 2 weeks of the year."

Did March Madness on Demand go to needing a cable login? I remember it didn't and was awesome when it first started.

Well awesome minus the same four commercials you were forced to watch repeatedly in any break.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Grittybeard posted:

Did March Madness on Demand go to needing a cable login? I remember it didn't and was awesome when it first started.

Well awesome minus the same four commercials you were forced to watch repeatedly in any break.

Pretty sure MMOD is free again, they're putting it on like a billion streaming devices this year http://awfulannouncing.com/turner/march-madness-live-app-available-15-digital-platforms.html

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

It helps NBCSN that they don't have as high of a carriage fee as ESPN or what FS1 probably wants since they specialize in niche sports

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Benne posted:

Pretty sure MMOD is free again, they're putting it on like a billion streaming devices this year http://awfulannouncing.com/turner/march-madness-live-app-available-15-digital-platforms.html

They've done the gimmick where whatever games on CBS are free, but anything on Turner needs the cable login. I'd imagine that's the same deal here unless someone says something different.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vertical Lime posted:

It helps NBCSN that they don't have as high of a carriage fee as ESPN or what FS1 probably wants since they specialize in niche sports

Right, ESPN is still charging carriers a little more than six bucks per subscriber per month; FS1 is in the neighborhood of a dollar and NBCSN is like 28 cents.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
My regional fox affiliate decided to significantly increase their price, so my carrier dropped them. I dropped my carrier to pick up a streaming service instead. Should have done this a while back.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kibner posted:

My regional fox affiliate decided to significantly increase their price, so my carrier dropped them. I dropped my carrier to pick up a streaming service instead. Should have done this a while back.

Teams freaking the gently caress out as their RSN contracts expire and no one has the money to re-up over the next year or two is going to be amazing (and both the Astros' and Dodgers' networks are already in trouble, pretty sure FSN Houston defaulted on its payments a year or so ago). Say all the poo poo you want about Roger Goodell, but he had the foresight to sign broadcast and cable contracts that run for-loving-ever because the NFL knew the money wasn't going to be there soon.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Dodgers losing a bunch of TV is going to be hilarious/great. They wrote checks they couldn't cash, literally.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
The Astros/Rockets thing was a disaster from the beginning.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

C. Everett Koop posted:

They've done the gimmick where whatever games on CBS are free, but anything on Turner needs the cable login. I'd imagine that's the same deal here unless someone says something different.

I have a feeling this will be less of an issue than in recent years. With cord-cutters migrating to over-the-top streaming like Sling/Vue/DirecTV Now, the biggest sports players (ESPN, Fox, NBC, Turner) smartly hitched their wagon to those platforms.

I just cut off Comcast and moved to Sling a couple months ago, and I'll have zero problem following the tournament because Sling has all the Turner channels. The CBS network proper is a different story, but if it's like you described, hopefully I can still see those games on the MMOD app.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CBS has listened to reason and cut back the selection show to 90 minutes instead of 2 hours. They also say they'll have the full bracket revealed within the first half of it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

CBS has listened to reason and cut back the selection show to 90 minutes instead of 2 hours. They also say they'll have the full bracket revealed within the first half of it.

So first half to unveiling, second half over the interesting match ups?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

sounds like it, yeah

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Before last year they'd just get it over with before thoroughly breaking down everything

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Are they still gonna have Barkley give "analysis" like a kid giving a book report who didn't actually read the book

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

iospace posted:

1st 30 is the unveiling, 2nd 60 is Charles vs. the Touchscreen

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Benne posted:

Are they still gonna have Barkley give "analysis" like a kid giving a book report who didn't actually read the book

Even his NBA analysis is rapidly declining but he has definitely never watched a complete college basketball game start to finish in his entire life

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Liberty Media's CEO called NBC's deal with Formula One a popcorn fart.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yes, because good luck getting another channel to pick you up. ESPN seems to be about to jettison its Indy coverage, and Fox can't give two fucks. Maybe CBS Sports may, but you'll get even less coverage then.

And that's not going into the fact that F1 is more niche than Indy car when it comes to racing fandoms in the US.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ESPN is breaking in the start of the new NFL calendar year with an eleven-person panel on NFL Insiders.

11 people

It's like CNN on both meth and steroids

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Josh Lyman posted:

The Dodgers losing a bunch of TV is going to be hilarious/great. They wrote checks they couldn't cash, literally.

I know he probably didn't have a lot to do with it but in the Magic Johnson Wars I'll take any weapon I can get.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Crazy Ted posted:

ESPN is breaking in the start of the new NFL calendar year with an eleven-person panel on NFL Insiders.

11 people

They are gonna fire them one at a time live on air. The viewers will vote on who to fire next and the ratings will be phenomenal. The severance package, less so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Crazy Ted posted:

11 people

I'm convinced they don't even need the different "personalities" and whatnot, people tune in for the yelling over one another. ESPN could just replace them all with overwrought toy poodles yapping hysterically while highlights play and the same audience would, well, lap it up.

And now I'm kind of disappointed this isn't actually a thing.