Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's a crime we never got Guillermo del Toro's Hobbit

It exists in some other dimension alongside Jodorowsky's Dune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

King Vidiot posted:

I was going to say I really want to see Jodorowsky's Hobbit

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

King Vidiot posted:

Just watch the old cartoon Hobbit movie. About 70 minutes and it pretty much tells the same story as Jackson takes 9+ hours to do. It's why I didn't bother with the second two movies. I realized I was wasting my time and not really getting anything in return.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
The book itself is shorter to read than the movies take to watch and they're way better.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
3D can be awesome when 3D is done right, but most people do not know how to do it right.

It's like motion controls. In the hands of a skilled developer they can be fun as hell, but most developers slap them on to bandwagon and have no idea what they're doing, making everyone loathe motion controls.

My general test is this: If the director shot the thing in 3D or planned it for 3D, then I will see the movie in 3D as that's what they envisioned. If they had a 3D conversion after the fact they had no involvement or desire to see done, then I will see the movie in 2D. Basically I will see a movie in whatever format that it's creators designed it for, and wanted it to be in. This really goes for directors with IMAX hard ons too, except they only seem to shoot a half dozen scenes with IMAX so it feels like a rip.

Fury Road is one of the rare exceptions where the 3D is kind of loving awesome even though it was unplanned, but they are a rarity. That said the 2D black & white director's cut looks probably more awesome than the 3D cut.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Rufus posted:

Just watch the old cartoon Hobbit movie. About 70 minutes and it pretty much tells the same story as Jackson takes 9+ hours to do. It's why I didn't bother with the second two movies. I realized I was wasting my time and not really getting anything in return.

I think everyone can agree the Hobbit should have been ONE loving movie.

Jackson should have come back around, had almost a fun reunion movie that covered the Hobbit in a single film and then retired from LOTR with one "fun project" under his belt. Instead he turned them into 3 movie slogs that made Ian McKellen break down and sickened audiences with 60 fps bullshit.

PS: I still hold if you want to make a really effective unnatural horror monster, here's what you do:

1) Shoot a film at 30 FPS
2) Double the framecount to convert it to 60 FPS
3) Make the monster run at 60 FPS while everything else still looks as if it's running 30 FPS

Somehow I'm convinced that would make for a freaky as gently caress moving creature.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Blazing Ownager posted:

3) Make the monster run at 60 FPS while everything else still looks as if it's running 30 FPS.

I'm so confused

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Blazing Ownager posted:

3) Make the monster run at 60 FPS while everything else still looks as if it's running 30 FPS

Somehow I'm convinced that would make for a freaky as gently caress moving creature.

Do this with a character that looks "human" but is actually something else

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Logan loving rocked. Go watch it!!!

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
logan was good but don't go in expecting to leave happy or satisfied, it has a very depressing and sudden ending

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I was extremely satisfied. Best superhero film in a long time (not counting Lego Batman) and best xmen film since x2

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
when leaving a theater I heard a very rotund woman exclaim, "Well I liked it up until he loving died!" lmao

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

We had some tried-hard nerd yell out at both the beginning and end, like I felt so embarrassed for her.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

JB50 posted:

Wasnt that more of the studios/execs idea? I thought he didnt even want to do the Hobbit.

It's his version of F4ntastic Four. But he's the hack brought in to make the scary horrible version more friendly at the last minute.

But instead of a stupid blonde wig it's CGI younger Legolas and elf dwarf romance.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5AsOEk-ZJU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Who's the guy to the right?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Captain N, The Game American.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Captain Beefheart

ScrubLeague fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Mar 10, 2017

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

THE BAR posted:

Who's the guy to the right?

Ryan Reynolds I think.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Ryan Gosling, the Nazi Man.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

uh it's Chris evans

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

uh it's Chris evans

Chris Elliott :eng101:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

uh it's Chris evans

Whoowee, boy's let himself go, hasn't he?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

It's a crime we never got Guillermo del Toro's Hobbit
Or Hellboy 3, or At the Mountains of Madness, or Justice League Dark, and I'm sure I'll be saying this when he is asked to do Dr. Strange 3: Shuma-Gorath

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

:black101:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Quite the Kongfire :downsrim:

Always gotta smile at the phalanx of smart phone people recording whatever crazy poo poo with little regard to personal safety.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Harambe no, not again!

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Its just setting you up for how much of a dumpster fire Kong is going to be.

I would love if RLM did a short video on the Kong trailer because its really loving... odd. It does that weird thing where there's a mini-trailer before the trailer, then it starts out like a normal trailer, then about half-way through it completely switches to a different action-packed trailer, then its just scene after scene of bullets and fighting and I have no idea wtf is going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44LdLqgOpjo

1:16 is where the trailer should have ended but its just goes on and on with the action scenes.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

a bone to pick posted:

I would love if RLM did a short video on the Kong trailer because its really loving... odd. It does that weird thing where there's a mini-trailer before the trailer, then it starts out like a normal trailer, then about half-way through it completely switches to a different action-packed trailer, then its just scene after scene of bullets and fighting and I have no idea wtf is going on.

1:16 is where the trailer should have ended but its just goes on and on with the action scenes.

Yeah that is an insane trailer. Definitely disjointed and feels like three trailers mushed into one.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

a bone to pick posted:

It's like two separate trailers in a row

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

achillesforever6 posted:

Or Hellboy 3, or At the Mountains of Madness, or Justice League Dark, and I'm sure I'll be saying this when he is asked to do Dr. Strange 3: Shuma-Gorath

gently caress :smith:

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Are there any good Lovecraftian productions out there?

e: Like, not Cloverfield stuff.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

mng posted:

Are there any good Lovecraftian productions out there?

e: Like, not Cloverfield stuff.

There's certainly been some direct lovecraft movies but... oh good? no not really.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Jackson's Kong is the world's best HBO miniseries

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
That is an absolutely terrible trailer, but I didn't know John C. Reilly was in it! I actually kinda wanna see the movie now.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

counterfeitsaint posted:

That is an absolutely terrible trailer, but I didn't know John C. Reilly was in it! I actually kinda wanna see the movie now.

Just watch a bunch of brules rules or something.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Baronjutter posted:

Just watch a bunch of brules rules or something.

ya dingus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Castor Poe posted:

gently caress :smith:

Fun fact; Del Toro gave up on Mountains of Madness when he saw Prometheus and decided his movie would be too similar.

We could've had Guillermo Del Toro's At The Mountains of Madness, but instead we have Prometheus.

• Locked thread