Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Old Goldberg and his super short matches made me wonder, who were guys who could still put on a longer match with a genuinely fast pace in their later years?

The objective of most wrestlers is that you don't have to work a fast pace to keep up fan interest and can get by on character work. But Finlay and Regal used to do all kinds of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sean10mm posted:

Old Goldberg and his super short matches made me wonder, who were guys who could still put on a longer match with a genuinely fast pace in their later years?

Finlay-Sami Callihan (their first match) in EVOLVE was great

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I guess I should have been clearer, I don't mean crazy flippy sprinting the whole time, just a good pace that doesn't look bogged down by the guy being old and slow even though he's actually old.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

What constitutes later years? People were calling Flair old as dirt in the 90's and Funk was middle aged and crazy in the mid 80's.

On Goldberg, I'm kinda bummed about his spear Jackhammer run. I mean, it's working, and you can't really ask for much more than that, but I actually thought he had some really cool looking offense back when he was a regular and would love to see some of it again.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

sean10mm posted:

I guess I should have been clearer, I don't mean crazy flippy sprinting the whole time, just a good pace that doesn't look bogged down by the guy being old and slow even though he's actually old.

It also depends on what you mean by "old" since guys like Piper were only in their 40s in the 1990s, though they were 20+year ring vets at that point. Roddy could still go in the 90s at a good pace. Flair too. Ricky steamboat is similar, with the exception being that he has kept himself in fantastic shape his entire life.

I haven't seen much of his late 80s early 90s stuff from japan, but Stan Hansen was still chasing people through the crowd with a cowbell on the end of a rope until the day he retired, and he could easily do 60 minute broadways until the end of his career, even if he might gouge your eye out because he couldn't see anything. Ted Dibiase had kind of his own style, but he could certainly still go until he retired from the ring, and he was definitely not in peak physical shape.

It's weird though because I don't see many of today's top flippy poo poo "fast guy" wrestlers making it out of their mid 30s without completely falling apart from joint/body abuse. Stone Cold constantly rags on this on his podcast, as does cornette and to a degree even JR. They used to say that a wrestler didn't hit his real prime until his mid 30s or 40s because that's when you finally had enough experience to really understand ring psychology and how to tell a story without doing stupid poo poo stunts. These days though, it's just a different thing altogether. Churn and burn and all that.

edit: about goldberg, I honestly don't remember him having any offense past spear and jackhammer. I mean he did some kicks, he threw some terrible looking punches. But the main thing he did was exhale pyro smoke, slap himself in the head and roar, and then have a minute long squash. DDP somehow pulled a good match out of him, but I honestly can't think of another goldberg match that was in any way exceptional.

Platypus Farm fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 9, 2017

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Who is the oldest wrestler to have the best match?

Bockwinkel was 52 when he had that 60-minute match with Curt Hennig

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Platypus Farm posted:

edit: about goldberg, I honestly don't remember him having any offense past spear and jackhammer. I mean he did some kicks, he threw some terrible looking punches. But the main thing he did was exhale pyro smoke, slap himself in the head and roar, and then have a minute long squash. DDP somehow pulled a good match out of him, but I honestly can't think of another goldberg match that was in any way exceptional.

He had press slams into powerslams and spinebusters. He used kind of a crazy looking chokeslam spinebuster. The elimination chamber match he did showcases a couple of these moves, even if it ends badly. He murdered Orton with Military press spinebuster if I remember right.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Goldberg tried to mix in some submission stuff and I always liked his gorilla press into a power slam.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

remusclaw posted:

He had press slams into powerslams and spinebusters. He used kind of a crazy looking chokeslam spinebuster. The elimination chamber match he did showcases a couple of these moves, even if it ends badly. He murdered Orton with Military press spinebuster if I remember right.

Oh that's right, I forgot his cool press-slam combo moves. Yeah those were pretty awesome and he should break those fuckers out again, lest we have to deal with five minutes of suplex city and spears.

edit: the submission stuff I don't remember at all. Did he just try to put in worked versions of MMA stuff? Triangle chokes and guillotines and things like that? That I can see being pretty convincing and brutal looking.

Platypus Farm fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 9, 2017

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

Has anyone other than WWE themselves ever attempted to make heel remixes of face themes, the way WWE often seems to do downtuned/slower versions of a face's theme whenever someone turns heel?

ROH just did this with Colt Cabana

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

EugeneJ posted:

Flair/Funk is the bestest oldest match.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

EugeneJ posted:

Your face, matched up with my butt.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Platypus Farm posted:

Oh that's right, I forgot his cool press-slam combo moves. Yeah those were pretty awesome and he should break those fuckers out again, lest we have to deal with five minutes of suplex city and spears.

edit: the submission stuff I don't remember at all. Did he just try to put in worked versions of MMA stuff? Triangle chokes and guillotines and things like that? That I can see being pretty convincing and brutal looking.

He was kind of sold initially as a hybrid shoot style fighter. He never won with the stuff as far as I can remember and it it kind of faded from his moveset as time went on except for the occasional leg lock.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Platypus Farm posted:

He had a rolling leglock that he busted out a few times. I think he used it on DDP.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Jushin Thunder Liger had a pretty fast-paced match with Tyler Breeze at age 50 (51?). Liger probably qualifies overall, really.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Dias posted:

Jushin Thunder Liger had a pretty fast-paced match with Tyler Breeze at age 50 (51?). Liger probably qualifies overall, really.

I wan't to state that I absolutely adore the fact that NJPW essentially has an old mans tag division where wrestler's don't so much retire as they slow down and teach/abuse the yunguns.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Atlantis would've been 9 days away from his 52nd birthday at the time of the Ultimo Guerrero apuestas match in 2014

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Didn't Karl Gotch wrestle one of his students on a puro show when he was like 90 or something?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I know Lou Thesz wrestled Masahiro Chono at 74. Here it is!

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5g5nt_masahiro-chono-vs-lou-thesz-thesz-s_sport

Wouldn't necessarily call it fast paced though.
vv Sorry vv

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 9, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Once again, this is more on the "good match versus 'fast' match" thing but Negro Casas continues to be loving awesome, and you could probably name a bunch of other great old luchadores historically here too.

e) also didn't LA Park have a really well-received brawl just last year

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

With Rush, yes

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

KoldPT posted:

Can someone who is into Stardom explain to me what the hell happened with Act Yasukawa and Yoshiko? I was reading up on the promotion and got really weirded out at this having happened.
Stardom's promoters being pretty scummy like all wrestling promoters, booked a match between two women who had legit heat with each other. Yoshiko went into business for herself during the match and beat the poo poo out of Act for real and basically broke her face. Act had previously had surgery on one of her eyes, and Yoshiko went straight for it, and also broke her nose and orbital bone. Yoshiko got blackballed from Stardom and 'retired', but then she showed up somewhere else last year. Act had to retire because of her injuries. The whole thing was pretty awful and Stardom got a lot of poo poo for it.

oldskool posted:

ROH just did this with Colt Cabana
Sorry, I should specify. I meant like a Youtuber or remix site making heel versions of WWE themes, not other promotions doing it with their wrestlers.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Alain Post posted:

Well I would have mentioned that but it's not really fair to judge a skeleton's age against Flair's. To say nothing Funk, who is probably missing like half his skeleton.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Terry Funk was a month shy of 62 when he had the hardcore match with Dreamer vs. Edge and Foley at One Night Stand '06.

Also, Ric Flair was 61 when he had the Last Man Standing match with Mick Foley on TNA Impact.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Could someone give me a basic rundown of what Ring of Honor was like late-06/early-07? Was it a good time for the company or bad? How was it doing creatively and financially?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gavok posted:

Could someone give me a basic rundown of what Ring of Honor was like late-06/early-07? Was it a good time for the company or bad? How was it doing creatively and financially?

TNA stopped letting their talent work ROH shows in early 2007 - they lost Joe, AJ, Homicide, Daniels and Alex Shelley

TNA actually suspended Austin Aries and Roderick Strong in 2006 because TNA told them they couldn't work an ROH show and they did anyway

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Suzuki's 48, and he had that amazing match with Okada last month. Otherwise, I can't really add to what's already been said.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Mil Mascaras was putting on fast-ish (if not really good due to ego) matches a decade ago, and he was already 1,000 years old at that point!

As of a few years ago, Yoshiaki Fujiwara could still pull out a decent match, but he's always had a really slow style anyways.

I saw a Super Tiger/Tiger Mask I match from last year where I remember that he seemed pretty spry, but I can't remember much else about it soooo I imagine it wasn't great.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

I'm gonna second Ricky Steamboat, primarily thanks to the large amount of time he spent away from the ring before returning as a geriatric who makes half the modern roster look lazy.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

ecavalli posted:

I'm gonna second Ricky Steamboat, primarily thanks to the large amount of time he spent away from the ring before returning as a geriatric who makes half the modern roster look lazy.

I remember in...whatever royal rumble it was where piper and superfly and steamboat all showed up. Piper and superfly had like giant beer guts, and were gassed on the way to the ring. Steamboat comes out, whips off his gi and looks like he just took a week off and was ready to rock.

What I'm saying is, ricky steamboat is the loving best.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Platypus Farm posted:

I remember in...whatever royal rumble it was where piper and superfly and steamboat all showed up. Piper and superfly had like giant beer guts, and were gassed on the way to the ring. Steamboat comes out, whips off his gi and looks like he just took a week off and was ready to rock.

What I'm saying is, ricky steamboat is the loving best.

That was the Wrestlemania where all three wrestled Jericho. Steamboat looked so good that he got a one on one rematch with Jericho at Backlash.

I want to say 25.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gavok posted:

Late 06 was the end of Danielson's run. August-September had two of the best shows in the company's history, and some of the best drawing to that point. Danielson getting hurt made the fall shows a bit of a let down, but the year ended big with Final Battle. 07 started slow creatively, but was hot business wise as the Fifth Year Festival shows drew really well. Creatively it took off in April as Morishima got hot vs Nigel and the Briscoes vs Steen and Generico (El Geen) feud really kicked off. TNA pulled their talent a month later but it didn't really matter, the company drew really well all year and had a run of good shows.

Financially they were losing small amounts of money throughout their history (with a few periods of profitability) but they were drawing really well for their size company.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

That was the Wrestlemania where all three wrestled Jericho. Steamboat looked so good that he got a one on one rematch with Jericho at Backlash.

I want to say 25.

Yeah, when he got in with Jericho at Mania (in lieu of Mickey Rourke, because they seriously thought Rourke's agents would let him do a worked wrestling match to promote The Wrestler and were amazed when it fell apart) after Piper and Snuka could barely move, everyone up to and including WWE went "Why wasn't this just Steamboat vs Jericho?" so they just did that match 4 weeks later.

Though didn't Ricky have a heart attack shortly after?

On the lower end of 'old', HBK was in his mid-40s when he retired and could still go faster than a lot of the rest of the roster.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Baron Corbyn posted:

I want to say 25.

Yup. If Savage/Steamboat wasn't enough to cement his legendary status, that return put him over the top.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, when he got in with Jericho at Mania (in lieu of Mickey Rourke, because they seriously thought Rourke's agents would let him do a worked wrestling match to promote The Wrestler and were amazed when it fell apart) after Piper and Snuka could barely move, everyone up to and including WWE went "Why wasn't this just Steamboat vs Jericho?" so they just did that match 4 weeks later.

Though didn't Ricky have a heart attack shortly after?

On the lower end of 'old', HBK was in his mid-40s when he retired and could still go faster than a lot of the rest of the roster.

It wasn't a heart attack but he suffered something life threatening (thought to be a brain aneurysm) that WWE tried like hell to cover up and make it seem it wasn't related to the Nexus attack.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MassRafTer posted:

It wasn't a heart attack but he suffered something life threatening (thought to be a brain aneurysm) that WWE tried like hell to cover up and make it seem it wasn't related to the Nexus attack.

Didn't they start him full time on the road after the Jericho match

That was probably a terrible idea

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

Didn't they start him full time on the road after the Jericho match

That was probably a terrible idea

He did 10 or so matches over the next few months which probably wasn't a huge deal.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

It also didn't happen until almost a year after his last WWE match. Though I thought it was a lot more time than that when I looked it up to post this. The Nexus was 7 years ago guys.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Baron Corbyn posted:

It also didn't happen until almost a year after his last WWE match. Though I thought it was a lot more time than that when I looked it up to post this. The Nexus was 7 years ago guys.

He'd done a match or two with his son shortly before the attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Was Richie Steamboat any good before his career-ending injury? I wasn't watching FCW/NXT when he was around.