Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

mrfart posted:

Good question. I've been listening to the one from the New Yorker. But it's just two poems, the rest is analyzing :)

Which one? New Yorker seems to have three or four poetry podcasts.

I'm open to any poetry podcasts, but I might be more interested in I guess the fundamentals, like "This is why Whitman is neat", or "Robert Frost is over-rated, and here's why". Or maybe, like the New Yorker Fiction podcast, but instead of short stories, a poet reads a poem by their favorite poet, and then discusses it.

I know I'm being vague here, but I don't know really what I want. I just want to hear poets read poems and talk about poetry so I can feel like I've learned something or maybe find a new poet I like. It doesn't have to be limited to that. It can be more academic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Franchescanado posted:

Which one? New Yorker seems to have three or four poetry podcasts.

I'm open to any poetry podcasts, but I might be more interested in I guess the fundamentals, like "This is why Whitman is neat", or "Robert Frost is over-rated, and here's why". Or maybe, like the New Yorker Fiction podcast, but instead of short stories, a poet reads a poem by their favorite poet, and then discusses it.

I know I'm being vague here, but I don't know really what I want. I just want to hear poets read poems and talk about poetry so I can feel like I've learned something or maybe find a new poet I like. It doesn't have to be limited to that. It can be more academic.

ah, sorry, haven't really looked into it too much.
The New Yorker: Poetry is what you are looking for I think. It's a poet who first reads his/her favorite poem, discusses it with the host and then reads one of their own poems they like and discuss it with the host.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

pangstrom posted:

Omega Tau has some, but if you aren't into science & engineering (and aeronautics) you might not be interested.
http://omegataupodcast.net/

lmao keep up the german stereotypes. Thank you though, I appreciate it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Guy Mann posted:

I've been working my way through Thirty Twenty Ten, as far as fluffy pop culture comfort food goes there are definitely worse ways to kill 90+ minutes each week. The gimmick is that each episode explores that week in pop culture exactly 30/20/10 years ago, it's not only a fun nostalgia trip and modestly educational but it's also a great conversation starter to be able to go "Hey, King of the Hill just turned 20!" when you're out with friends or whatever.

Also echoing support for this podcast. It's a real fun listen and the rest of their stuff is pretty good too. Was shocked to see that they didn't have their own thread.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Puck Soup is better than it has any right to be. Hockey fans should give it a listen- it's funny and Greg and Dave have great chemistry. On the most recent episode, I loved listening to Will Leitch talk about Deadspin when he ran it- it's a great comparison between what it was then and what it became after Tommy Craggs took a wrecking ball to it into the present day. He even talks about a disagreement they had- Leitch said that they shouldn't write for the approval of the people who already like and read Deadspin. Craggs disagreed, and it sure showed after he took it over.

I wish they made consistently entertaining general sports podcasts like there are for hockey. Pardon My Take is OK, but I shouldn't be allowed to use that term to describe anything that PFT Commenter is involved with.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Any recommendations for a general podcast management app for phones and tablets? Right now I'm using Podbay, and while it seems to be able to find all the different shows I listen to it has some pretty serious limitations. First, it doesn't keep track of what episodes I've already listened to so I just have to remember what show I'm on for each cast which sucks. It's also pretty unstable, crashes about every other time I put my device to sleep.

My ideal app is something I can use to pull up the backlog of a cast and subscribe to it somehow so it will keep track of what I have and have not heard.

vvv Thanks, I'll check those both out. At least one of them should do what I need.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 27, 2017

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Takes No Damage posted:

Any recommendations for a general podcast management app for phones and tablets? Right now I'm using Podbay, and while it seems to be able to find all the different shows I listen to it has some pretty serious limitations. First, it doesn't keep track of what episodes I've already listened to so I just have to remember what show I'm on for each cast which sucks. It's also pretty unstable, crashes about every other time I put my device to sleep.

My ideal app is something I can use to pull up the backlog of a cast and subscribe to it somehow so it will keep track of what I have and have not heard.
I love Podcast Addict. It's the best app purchase I've ever made, no hyperbole, and there's a free trial so you can see if you like how it does things.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Takes No Damage posted:

Overcast marks each listened to episode as "Played" if you listen to it and it's never crashed on me. It's free though you can buy a premium version.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Any recommendations for podcasts on tabletop board/card/role playing games that are more on the "academic" side (i.e., analyzing design elements, looking at themes and trends, etc.)? Looking for something a little deeper than just reviews or "battle reports" or just a bunch of dudes just joking around with each other. I feel like Have Games Will Travel used to fill this niche a bit back in the day.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

head58 posted:

Any recommendations for podcasts on tabletop board/card/role playing games that are more on the "academic" side (i.e., analyzing design elements, looking at themes and trends, etc.)? Looking for something a little deeper than just reviews or "battle reports" or just a bunch of dudes just joking around with each other. I feel like Have Games Will Travel used to fill this niche a bit back in the day.

Ken And Robin Talk About Stuff is incredibly good in terms of content but they record it with what sounds like a microphone from 2002.

It's game designers Kenneth Hite and Robin D. Laws talking about game design.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone listening to True Crime Guys? It's a newer true crime podcast however is quickly rising to the top of my list of best true crime podcasts. Kind of similar to True Crime Garage however seems like they have a bit better chemistry than them. They both read a different book on the subject so they each bring a little different information to the table.

Also, weird that we don't have a true crime thread unless I missed it as there seems to be a ton of them.

Another really good newer true crime podcast is "They walk among us" which is a uk true crime show. Just got done with episode 9 and what a crazy story that was. Top notch production on this podcast.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 27, 2017

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Under the vegetable posted:

Ken And Robin Talk About Stuff is incredibly good in terms of content but they record it with what sounds like a microphone from 2002.

It's game designers Kenneth Hite and Robin D. Laws talking about game design.

Thanks, that's definitely the sort of thing I'm looking for but with more emphasis on board & card games (and less on food, movies and politics).

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

head58 posted:

Thanks, that's definitely the sort of thing I'm looking for but with more emphasis on board & card games (and less on food, movies and politics).

I havent listened to it in a year or two but usually even when they go off topic they tie it back to game design.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

head58 posted:

You might want to try Three Moves Ahead. Although the focus is on strategy games, it does tend towards computer/4x games but even in those episodes wargames/board games are very present.

Although the core of the panel is game reviewers, they do deep dives into individual games that are more focused on mechanics and design that are fascinating, and have great episodes on more general concepts, i.e. fog of war, historical accuracy or how to handle transforming terrain in games (computer and board).

They're also joined very regularly by actual designers, most often John Schafer and Soren Johnson, but also some board game designers -- I think Rob Daviau's episodes in particular would be perfect for what you're looking for.

Incidentally, I'm running out of TMA episodes, and want something similar. My favorite episodes are the ones where they focus on ideas/mechanics rather than individual games, but in a focused way -- i.e., "how could the 4x genre be innovated" dovetailing into discussion of the systems, how to make a post-colonial 4X, limitations of the conceit etc. Does anyone have recommendations for something along those lines?

e: ^^ And I'll definitely take a look at Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff, that sounds really good.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Anyone have any recommendations for good military history podcasts? USA related ideally. I want to learn about battleships and like ICBMs and cool poo poo like that.

I've been listening to a bit of the American Military History Podcast with Justin Johnson but (at least early on) he blows at talking.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for good military history podcasts? USA related ideally. I want to learn about battleships and like ICBMs and cool poo poo like that.

I've been listening to a bit of the American Military History Podcast with Justin Johnson but (at least early on) he blows at talking.

Well there is Hardcore History where Carlin recently did cover the Cuban Missile Crisis, but usually he goes further back in time and has a lot of pre-gunpowder stuff.

But generally Military History Podcasts will focus more on the pre-Cold War history, so if you are looking for Cold War or post-Cold War content that's a different genre.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Yeah I guess I'm looking for cold war/post cold war. Maybe less "history" and more facts

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Harminoff posted:

Anyone listening to True Crime Guys? It's a newer true crime podcast however is quickly rising to the top of my list of best true crime podcasts. Kind of similar to True Crime Garage however seems like they have a bit better chemistry than them. They both read a different book on the subject so they each bring a little different information to the table.

Also, weird that we don't have a true crime thread unless I missed it as there seems to be a ton of them.

Another really good newer true crime podcast is "They walk among us" which is a uk true crime show. Just got done with episode 9 and what a crazy story that was. Top notch production on this podcast.

This is an indirect response to this but I think this forum could probably support a true crime/"horror" thread. There have been a bunch of scattered posts about various true crime podcasts and generally spooky shows (outside of the Serial thread). There's what Harminoff is talking about, there's Last Podcast of the Left, My Favorite Murder, and others. There's occult/conspiracy/bullshit/ghost story stuff like Astonishing Legends, Lore, Real Ghost Stories Online, also Last Podcast does this a bit. There's reading/lit/film/discussion podcasts about fiction like the The H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast, Bloody Good Horror, Pseudopod and others.

I feel like this could all go under one tent, and wouldn't mind making an OP for it if there was enough interest, if people were willing to help with the some of the ones I'm not as big a fan of. What do you guys think?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'd love to read that but I'm not really following any of those podcasts very closely. Hopefully there will be enough interest to get that going.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd like that thread too, but the only one of those podcasts I regularly follow is My Favortie Murder

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I follow some of those podcasts and I'd be happy to follow more.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Any good comic book podcasts?
Focusing on exposition and story/character.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Lampsacus posted:

Any good comic book podcasts?

"Inkstuds" is pretty good, and "Trash Twins" talk about comics sometimes.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Is anyone aware of any podcasts that might be similar to Getting on with James Urbaniak? I really appreciated the dark, deadpan, almost existential humor and non-linear, unconnected stories that were brought home by just some stellar voice acting with few sound effects. I miss it. I want more of it, but I'm not holding my breath since it hasn't had a new episode for about a year and the last two years it was active only had a couple episodes each.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Gelmania was a pretty crazy sort of abstract comedy/stream of consciousness/noise experiment of a podcast. He hasn't done one in the last couple years as far as I know but it's worth checking out, that was a pretty unique show.

E- by Brett Gelman

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Cithen posted:

Is anyone aware of any podcasts that might be similar to Getting on with James Urbaniak? I really appreciated the dark, deadpan, almost existential humor and non-linear, unconnected stories that were brought home by just some stellar voice acting with few sound effects. I miss it. I want more of it, but I'm not holding my breath since it hasn't had a new episode for about a year and the last two years it was active only had a couple episodes each.

It's behind a small paywall, but The Seth Morris Radio Project sounds like a good match.

I've recently went down the rabbit hole of video game podcasts, and I've only found a few that I've liked:

Watch Out For Fireballs
- The two hosts pick a game, play it, discuss the sum of the parts, and then recommend it or not. Tends to go for classics and hidden gems over brand new and popular. It's very good about going in depth about 1) the players experience & history with the games; 2) the story; 3) themes and ideas that are in the game; 4) gameplay; 5) listeners opinions on the game

Deep Listens - Several hosts pick a game, play it, and then discuss the philosophical ideas, themes, and "literary" merit of the game's story, design and gameplay.

PolyKill - The two hosts have a huge backlog of games that they are trying to go through and complete. Each episode is a few different games, they discuss how it's going, what they've beat, how they liked it, sometimes exploring the themes and ideas of the game, and then they play a short game together and talk about it.

I like the discussions of WOfF and Deep Listens because it's more about what the ideas of the game are as well as gameplay, instead of "this level sucks" or "the guns were good" or "This was rad", and the fact that they go for the lesser-known or older games is great. PolyKill does this as well, and I like the variety, the mix of old/new and long/short games, and also because my backlog of games is in the three digits, so it makes me want to cut down on my backlog as well.

Any other podcasts that might fill in the gaps and/or fit in well with these? I'm specifically not looking for modern game news or anything 2 hours and over.

While not mutually exclusive to that request, are there podcasts of people going through series of games and talking about the ups and downs? Like "We played every Resident Evil game, each episode breaks down a specific entry and the context/influence of the game in general."

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
The Adam Buxton podcast has a very nice Steve Coogan interview this week, for the fans of Allan Partridge, 24 hour party people, the trip, etc...

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Just started listening to beyond yacht rock and it is a very good podcast. Are there any other podcast in a similar vein?

Edit: if anyone is looking for an actually good true crime podcast, check out casefile.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 24, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
podcasts have too many commercials now

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

Worst trend is episode 1 ads. Like yeah you're russel gethard we get it.

My favourite trend in the medium is short runs. Having an end gives focus.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Guy Goodbody posted:

I would like more variety. I am aware of the product offerings of Harry's Razors, Audible, Skyn, Me Undies, and Indochino. I would like to hear about something else once in a while.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

This is a silly and stupid question but are there any podcasts that are good to drift off to sleep to? Preferably people calmly and quietly discussing something low-impact. Kai Ryssdal is a bit too peppy

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

RentACop posted:

This is a silly and stupid question but are there any podcasts that are good to drift off to sleep to? Preferably people calmly and quietly discussing something low-impact. Kai Ryssdal is a bit too peppy

You are looking for "Sleep with me"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ulmont posted:

I would like more variety. I am aware of the product offerings of Harry's Razors, Audible, Skyn, Me Undies, and Indochino. I would like to hear about something else once in a while.

I'm not sure which is worse. The commercials for that stuff where the hosts were told to improvise and make it feel natural, so it goes on for two goddamn minutes and even if it felt improvised and natural the first time it sure as hell doesn't the 30th time. Or the commercials for other podcasts, which always make the podcast they're advertising sound terrible.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
For what it's worth Harry's Razors are really very good

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

100% correct way to monetize a podcast is patreon/donations and plug it by thanking supporters.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It is funny though how I'll hear an ad for something on a million podcasts and never feel compelled to buy but like if the Bombcast talks about it I usually at least consider giving it a try (other than Squarespace). I am sure that proves some sort of marketing theory somewhere.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I do not know Bombcast but i'm guessing its something to do with really liking/respect the hosts heaps and heaps?
Saying that, I have listened to podcasts for over a decade now and have never once bought anything even though I really like some of the hosts. Hm.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Harminoff posted:

You are looking for "Sleep with me"

I love sleep with me and recommend it all the time. He puts handy links in to skip past the intro parts with music and get right to the dreamy poo poo.

Also Japanese Classical Literature at Midnight is good but short episodes, helps to line up a few.

I've also had good results with the London School of Economics: Public Lectures and Events podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Latest Russell Brands under the skin with Adam Curtis was certainly a clash. I loved it, somebody is going to listen to it and hate it.

I'm interested to see how Brand grows through this experiment. I don't think he knows how podcast conversation grows the host yet.