Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Doggles posted:

RadioShack closing 187 stores in latest bankruptcy filing

But where will people buy their mobile flip-phone accessories now?

Ship them to the remaining Source stores in Canada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The day the entirety of retail disappears the better.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I too yearn for the bespoke post apocalyptic future

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

sweeperbravo posted:

I too yearn for the bespoke post apocalyptic future

My house was invaded by spirits, so I called up the local cybershaman. He came with a bag of arduinos and led strips and made my walls blink in a way that scared the spirits away.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Glenn Quebec posted:

The day the entirety of retail disappears the better.

I too enjoy having fewer and fewer reasons to leave my apartment

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
But stores are scary. You have to move around and sometimes you see another person. Once a worker asked me if I needed anything, and I actually had to respond to him. :ohdear:

Seriously though, the internet's obsoleted a lot of retail, but there will always be spaces for poo poo you need now & anything you'd want to see/try in person before buying. There's also the convenience factor in not having to play mail tag any time you miss a delivery.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Maxwell Lord posted:

I too enjoy having fewer and fewer reasons to leave my apartment

It's actually pretty great. I can get massive fat and program 27.12 minutes more than the other tech bros I know.

Which means I'm the best tech bro.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm the most introverted person I know and even I get antsy if I go more than 24 hours without at least getting outside.

Cabin fever is a thing to

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

minecraft and masterbation

sometimes minecraft masterbation

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I loving love going to stores. Like don't get me, wrong I buy an embarrassing amount of bullshit on the Internet, but I'll still drive an hour each way every couple of months to go to a little fishing store I like just so I can squeeze a worm before I buy.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
All this taxi talk makes me realise how lucky I am to live in Shanghai: ample official taxis, all take the pre-paid transport cards, and you can order them through an app (by the company that bought out Uber China).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Shopping is a social activity, I love to make friends when I'm checking out the shoes and stuff? Just the other day also I made friends with an employee at Nordstrom, it was cool.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm taking my kid to an IKEA on a Saturday. Which is somewhere on the spectrum with a mall 72 hours before Christmas.

In fact IKEA is one of the few stores that can still get you in their doors because they don't sell much online and that furniture isn't going to assemble itself.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm taking my kid to an IKEA on a Saturday. Which is somewhere on the spectrum with a mall 72 hours before Christmas.

In fact IKEA is one of the few stores that can still get you in their doors because they don't sell much online and that furniture isn't going to assemble itself.

I, uh, don't think IKEA is circling the drain, man. They are busy as hell on weekends but they're still usually not that bad to go through - packed full of people but they're so strongly designed around their "flow" that you're almost never stuck waiting for someone, even when you get to the registers.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

They also seem to not saturate markets with multiple stores.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Furniture in general seems to be fine. You have a really hard time buying and ordering stuff online, and good stuff people want to touch and feel before they pay for it.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Spazzle posted:

My house was invaded by spirits, so I called up the local cybershaman. He came with a bag of arduinos and led strips and made my walls blink in a way that scared the spirits away.

Ugh shadowrun is lame

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Bonzo posted:

They also seem to not saturate markets with multiple stores.

They refuse to open a store unless the market is already there. I think it's like 300,000 people within a two hour radius here before they are even willing to consider a location.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

food court bailiff posted:

I, uh, don't think IKEA is circling the drain, man. They are busy as hell on weekends but they're still usually not that bad to go through - packed full of people but they're so strongly designed around their "flow" that you're almost never stuck waiting for someone, even when you get to the registers.

I didn't say they were circling the drain. In fact they have a pretty good business model. It's just packed and feels like Christmas at the mall.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Krispy Kareem posted:

I didn't say they were circling the drain. In fact they have a pretty good business model. It's just packed and feels like Christmas at the mall.

Then why did you post in this thread?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
He was commenting on the fact that online retail is not going to kill brick and mortar retail completely as there are some shops that only thrive with in-person traffic.

edit: I keep trying to figure out why Guitar Center exists and I can't. Pawn shops are everywhere and ebay exists. They don't charge out the rear end for an instrument, how can people keep spending money at Guitar Center without vomiting at their sales tag prices? Or punching their sales people in the neck?

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 15:23 on Mar 11, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

fizzymercy posted:

edit: I keep trying to figure out why Guitar Center exists and I can't. Pawn shops are everywhere and ebay exists. They don't charge out the rear end for an instrument, how can people keep spending money at Guitar Center without vomiting at their sales tag prices? Or punching their sales people in the neck?

Their core demo is people who would like to be musicians, not musicians.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

My guess about Guitar Center is:
It's fun enough to wander around and tinker that plenty of people will make the trip to buy things from Guitar Center that they could get online, like strings, sheet music, cables, etc just because it's fun to wander around the store and tinker. The fact that you can play anything in reach without needing to be looking to buy (or even asking, really) seems more deliberate than just a twee bit of tradition.

Plus they do all kinds of normal music store stuff like rentals and repairs, and in some places have a virtual monopoly.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
The people that work at Guitar Center also in my experience tend to be pretty knowledgeable, so if you're going in not knowing poo poo about poo poo, they can make the experience less overwhelming

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

fizzymercy posted:

He was commenting on the fact that online retail is not going to kill brick and mortar retail completely as there are some shops that only thrive with in-person traffic.

I think it's momentum, really. Fifteen years ago GC wasn't nearly as bad as they are now, people there knew their poo poo and the prices weren't quite as abysmal, so they've got a lot of residual goodwill from people that are only buying instruments every decade or so.

e: they got bought by Bain Capital in '07 and that was when they started careening downhill.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Guitar Center has been getting Bain Capital'd for the past decade and poses enough risk to the market that it has led to Fender starting direct sales through fender.com.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Guitar Center was already suffering. You aren't a target for a private equity buyout if things are going well.

As for "why does anyone go to Guitar Center when you can go to a good, local music store?", The answer is that not everywhere has a music store that is both good and local.
In the last city I lived, there was a local store 10 minutes away that was awful. Guitar Center was another 5 minutes past that, and the actually good local store was 45 minutes away.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

fizzymercy posted:

They also fix guitars. I can do the basics but I had a bridge pull lately that I couldn't fix. They did a drat fine job of it pretty quick.

The other side of it is basically what they already said; their primary market isn't musicians it's hobbyist. It isn't even "people who wish they were musicians" but rather hobbyists. You'd be surprised how many people know they'll never be famous or even in a band but just like futzing around with a guitar.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Maybe its the quality of instruments in the last few years but I find even independent music stores have all the same crap since they are in competition with GC.

One place I used to go, the owner retired and gave the business to his sons. They are doing pretty well but now focus on lessons, "Rock School" and rentals. Just saw a sign yesterday where they are now selling a cheap Peavy strat and amp for $200 and includes 6 lessons.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I am lucky enough to know a few luthiers and have a great local shop near me with competent technicians. Plus all the pawn shops I know of are happy to let you plug in their stock and try it out. I guess I live in a wonderland for being a guitar enthusiast and really take it for granted. poo poo gently caress it's sad that people have to rely on Guitar Center like that. Perhaps the chain has overexpanded and used hostile takeovers too much in my area and I'm jaded there too. I miss real Musician's Friend shops so much :smith:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

GC is better in Houston than the locals that have been here for ages. I wanted to support a local guy and had him refinish my guitar, it came back with what looks like krylon rattlecan all over it and he broke a bridge stud that is unobtanium that I have to figure out how to get made in the machine shop I work in. Meanwhile GC beautifully repaired the broken headstock on my Les Paul. It's nice going to GC to gently caress around on gear and try new stuff because everyone there does it. Going to a local where the guy just looks at you while you nervously bang out 4 chords of smoke on the water sucks. He just wants you gone so he can drink a beer and smoke a J out back.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

BloodBag posted:

GC is better in Houston than the locals that have been here for ages. I wanted to support a local guy and had him refinish my guitar, it came back with what looks like krylon rattlecan all over it and he broke a bridge stud that is unobtanium that I have to figure out how to get made in the machine shop I work in. Meanwhile GC beautifully repaired the broken headstock on my Les Paul. It's nice going to GC to gently caress around on gear and try new stuff because everyone there does it. Going to a local where the guy just looks at you while you nervously bang out 4 chords of smoke on the water sucks. He just wants you gone so he can drink a beer and smoke a J out back.

Lol, dude I'm from Houston. I wanna know what GC you go to, for real. Granted I don't use their repair services cause I have a guy for that but I'd love to go to an "Ikea but for music" that doesn't make me hate myself for learning guitar. It doesn't help that I almost exclusively buy 80's era Ithacas. I get mocked for that by everyone.

I will say that the most of the local stores suck. I'm looking at YOU, Rockin Robins. The glowering stare if you DARE touch the poorly hung Les Paul knockoff at most small shops is just hilarious.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 15:17 on Mar 12, 2017

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Krispy Kareem posted:

I found out my daughter, who just got her license and now can go out to restaurants by herself, has been stiffing the Waffle House waitress who serves her regularly.

I had to break it to her that her Coke Zero is probably 5% spit.

You've failed as a parent, but based on your posting itt that's not a huge shock.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

BloodBag posted:

Long and McQuade is Canada's version of GC. In the shops I've been in the staff are horrible and never approach customers unless you nearly physically restrain them. One store I went to I stood around for nearly 45 minutes waiting for someone to help me. I even started to disassemble a drum kit and no one even looked my way.

Another store I went to I witnesses an employee talking some kid into financing a cymbal. For those that don't know, cymbals cost $150 at most.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Gander Mountain's done.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
lovely woman's clothing store gordmans files for ch 11.
https://marketexclusive.com/gordmans-stores-inc-nasdaqgman-files-an-8-k-entry-into-a-material-definitive-agreement/81686/

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Marv Hushman posted:

Gander Mountain's done.

Do you think so? They're closing like a fifth of their stores and filing for bankruptcy but they have a really strong presence in some areas. I wouldn't be particularly surprised to see them make a comeback - they're a niche store in a bracket where shopping in person often makes more sense than buying online sight unseen.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Speakeasy Ales, an SF brewery that's been around since the early 90s, went full on paychecks-bouncing kaput last week. CEO duder made a statement basically saying "the creditors own everything, peace out"

edit:
http://www.goodbeer.com/blog/2017/3/10/speakeasy-ales-lagers-to-cease-operations-indefinitely

Cactus Ghost has a new favorite as of 23:29 on Mar 13, 2017

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Marv Hushman posted:

Gander Mountain's done.

Really shouldn't have named themselves after that place in Deliverance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

food court bailiff posted:

Do you think so? They're closing like a fifth of their stores and filing for bankruptcy but they have a really strong presence in some areas. I wouldn't be particularly surprised to see them make a comeback - they're a niche store in a bracket where shopping in person often makes more sense than buying online sight unseen.

But they are not capturing the market of people who do go to outdoor stores.