Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Three way tie again, for whatever reason

Choose 1 of the 3: http://www.strawpoll.me/12496087

Keep in mind leading heart seal guy is this in the future

vote ends in 1 hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Azama despite being 4 levels behind Takumi is at least tied or better in every stat aside from skill and luck. Of course Takumi has the Fujin Yumi to make up the difference but Azama's stats in a physical class even with only a few levels are absurd.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

If you read through the posts, for every person who likes Azama's personality, there's at least one other person who really doesn't like it and they're likely voting him out - but that isn't affecting how many votes he's getting for class change. Especially since barring class change he's significantly inferior in the same party role two other people already occupy. Apothecary isn't even a particularly good class.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Voting's over.

Benched:
-Saizo and Reina forever
-Rinkah
-Kaden
-Takumi

Heart Sealed:
-Azama into Apothecary
-Azura into Sky Knight

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So, I've been following this but largely been skipping the between-updates chat (largely due to only checking this once a day usually, and gently caress reading through 70+ replies in one sitting when I do), but I've been looking through the thread just now, and I've been trying to keep track of a few things... did Hana get quietly permabenched at some point? As far as I can tell, Tae never said anything about it, but hasn't been getting voted out, and yet hasn't been attending the chapters, either. Most other Permabenchers got announced when they received that dubious honor, but there was no mention of Hana getting dropped.

Not that I have a problem with it precisely, I'm just curious for the sake of keeping track of these things because DON'T ASK QUESTIONS I JUST FELT LIKE IT

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Yeah Hana was announced as permabenched pretty soon after introduction.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

BlazetheInferno posted:

So, I've been following this but largely been skipping the between-updates chat (largely due to only checking this once a day usually, and gently caress reading through 70+ replies in one sitting when I do), but I've been looking through the thread just now, and I've been trying to keep track of a few things... did Hana get quietly permabenched at some point? As far as I can tell, Tae never said anything about it, but hasn't been getting voted out, and yet hasn't been attending the chapters, either. Most other Permabenchers got announced when they received that dubious honor, but there was no mention of Hana getting dropped.

Not that I have a problem with it precisely, I'm just curious for the sake of keeping track of these things because DON'T ASK QUESTIONS I JUST FELT LIKE IT

Hana was perma-benched after To the Sea because she got voted out three times consecutively.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Time for a class change, starting with Azama.

Despite being the lowest level of the battle party, his physical stats match or exceed almost everyone else barring Ryoma and Scarlet.

Azura is a Sky Knight because...I dunno. The only stat that changes honestly is that she gets more speed when she already the fastest in the team.

This is the assault team on the fortress, with a lot of the characters having new toys like Flame Shuriken and a second Guard Naginata.

The main problem is avoid being swarmed by the horses. The regular grunts aren't a problem, but having 3-4 Paladins on one unit might be a bit much.

Oboro gets a couple counter-kills in to reach lvl 16, continuing to further become indestructible.

Paladins are super bulky that Oboro, Kaze, and Azama had to come together and take him down.

Before you ask, that's actually the standard Apothecary animation. But it sure fits him, huh

That's a good start. Azama already has the most HP among non pre-promotes.

After Kagero utterly destroys an Outlaw, the defensive units form a barrier to handle the next wave.

In context, Ryoma taking down a Paladin in one shot is pretty impressive and shows how absurdly strong he is.

Some easy clearing while also putting themselves into interception position for the Cavs up ahead.

The easiest way to handle this early stretch is honestly to have Ryoma and Scarlet act as the big parents and chew up the hard stuff. I mean, Scarlet takes 0 damage from a Paladin when even Oboro takes almost double digit.

Now that the immediate Paladins are dead, the rest are just cleaning up at a rapid pace. Free Silver Naginata, which is...idd for a Nohr soldier.

HP? I'll take that.

Hey, guess what? Felicia is now one of the most hard-hitting characters on the team with her great high magic and speed.

So why exactly does Ryoma need us again....?

Azama already at a point where he's one-shotting opposing bow users.

Felicia weakens the other Paladin enough for Scarlet to take it out with her one lance, then gains a free Wakizashi (To sell immediately)

Azura's first kill...ever? Not much EXP since she's relatively high level from all the singing.

Silas gets a few counter-kills with his new Practice Katana, getting some needed HP and DEF.

Killing the last of the outside forces makes enemy reinforcements appear inside the base. I mean, you didn't really think it was gonna stay empty forever, right?

Alright, let's see who's guarding the front door. Ooh, a pair-up with two named characters.

Fierce Mien-Enemies within a 2 tile radius have their Avoid reduced by 10

Not a bad PSkill. At least it does something, considering I've dealt with skills like Setsuna and Kaden.

Unmask-When engaging a female enemy, Damage +4 and Critical rate +20

Weird ability, it's good sometimes but I don't really like skills that require me to target specific enemies.

I feel kinda bad for Benny.

Hey, free Beast Killer! It's basically D rank lance-kill Cavs free. Hinoka will love it.

Time to isolate Charlotte with ninja power.

Hinoka chips in to lvl 15, gaining every stat except HP and MAG.

Not specific, but a good coincidence on Orochi.

After a couple turns of Oboro taking the brunt of the entrance enemies, Azama snipes down some enemies to clear the way.

Silas is strong, but the HP could be still better. Then again, everyone can't be Azama I guess

So uh, you know how Dragon Veins have been kinda lackluster? This map's Dragon Vein is overpowered as hell. It does 10 damage to ALL enemies, and only enemies. AND YOU HAVE TWO MORE VEINS NEARBY

Like holy poo poo, were they expecting your army to be mostly dead from reaching the place and they thought this was needed?

This Berserker is weird. He has high speed and has a Bolt Axe, so on paper he's dangerous against enemies with low RES. Except he has literally 0 magic, so he's not really hurting anyone outside of a bad Silas.

Ryoma with Scarlet support is really questioning why Ryoma needs us again. Free Bolt Axe from the corpse for...somebody. If we ever get a decent Oni Savage I guess.

Horse Spirit's +3 SPD is good, but not a miracle worker to save Orochi's horrendous SPD at this point.

I'm not kidding about them next to each other. Ryoma did a lot of damage, but Azura technically did the most ever for this mission.

I assume all these Generals are supposed to be threatening, but the game gives two anti-Armor weapons early and Felicia is currently a speedy nuke with that Flame Shuriken.

Also did she just hit a 35% HP growth twice???

By comparison, Felicia is doing more than an anti-weapon that deals x3 damage. 20 MAG now and she learns Tomebreaker, so basically any mage is incredibly dead to her. She can take on 40 Leo's right now.

Well, every level up can't be a home run. But way better of a catch-up barrage of levels than Rinkah at least.

"Sir, a maid has killed our Generals!"

"What?! How many?!"

"ALL OF THEM!"

Kaze is strong. He has to be, now that Saizo's gone forever due to democracy.

He finally gained defense while confusingly gained speed again. I have to calculate averages at some point because this seems very unlikely to have speed be his highest stat.

Oboro duels with a Hero, gaining another great level. She's just straight up good even without the Guard Naginata boosting her defenses at this point.

Mozu takes care of the last Berserker, almost hitting the 20 SPD mark. It's a shame the team already has like 3 other elite spear users, because her stats are impressive.

I mean, this is such a nothing boss because you probably triple Dragon Veined at this point to let literally anyone beat her.

Hi

Byez

HP again?? :psyduck:

Units New Growth

Azama

Growth Rates
HP: 75
STR: 70
MAG: 20
SKL: 50
SPD: 55
LCK: 45
DEF: 50
RES: 25

Azama will became so bulky that he can act as a decoy without worry in the later parts of the game.

Azura

Growth Rates
HP: 25
STR: 60
MAG: 25
SKL: 70
SPD: 75
LCK: 60
DEF: 15
RES: 55

The only real gain she gets growth-wise is higher RES. Otherwise she actually gets LESS speed growth as a Sky Knight, but that's helped by Darting Blow of course.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Darting Blow and, of course, her completely ridiculous innate growth.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Daniela was the first character I ever bothered to capture. I then proceeded to never use her.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Her ability is worth talking about though. Savage blow is a really useful skill to have for feeding units as it deals either 10 or 20% to every enemy unit within two squares of the attacked unit.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Not obsessively capturing unique bosses even though you're not going to use them? For shame.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Daniela is okay. Her stats are pretty bad, though she has good Luck and decent Def for a mage unit, and Savage Blow can help a lot in softening up formations. You don't get a lot of captured units in Birthright with funky skills they're not supposed to have, sadly.

Tae posted:

He finally gained defense while confusingly gained speed again. I have to calculate averages at some point because this seems very unlikely to have speed be his highest stat.

Oboro duels with a Hero, gaining another great level. She's just straight up good even without the Guard Naginata boosting her defenses at this point.
It's great that these are right next to each other, because it allows us to appreciate the fact that Oboro is tied or better in every non-Magic stat with Corrin, except...yep, you guessed it. Speed.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I think Azura's Sky Knight outfit is semi-unique (one future character has the same color palette), so you gain that as well. Admittedly, Sky Knight isn't going to do wonders for her already low base HP and Defense growths, but hey, at least Azura can contribute on the offensive side of things more. Or just be a pegasus taxi service when the need comes up.

But yeah, the more interesting capturable bosses/generics are on Conquest. Daniela is just...meh. If you need a Strategist on Birthright, just reclass Felicia and run with that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shop inventories rotate if you do enough battles in between right?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

RareAcumen posted:

They update when you upgrade them, and store upgrades are gated by what chapter you're on.

Also, I voted to class change Azura purely for shits and giggles, especially since Birthright is the path where it's very easy to get away without her singing ability. If friendship/partner seals were up, I'd have suggested making her a cavalier with Silas, since oni savage and fighter aren't available to her on this path. Oh well.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

No, the person staffing the various buildings rotates after each battle, like the resource generators. Unless you have a specific accessory related to that building, then whoever is wearing that accessory is who will be manning the shops.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

inthesto posted:

They update when you upgrade them, and store upgrades are gated by what chapter you're on.

Also, I voted to class change Azura purely for shits and giggles, especially since Birthright is the path where it's very easy to get away without her singing ability. If friendship/partner seals were up, I'd have suggested making her a cavalier with Silas, since oni savage and fighter aren't available to her on this path. Oh well.

I meant refresh. So, say at one point I buy a Guard Naginata and want to buy more.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You only get that many until the next upgrade.

And I'm almost definitely not going to use friendship seals because that requires a specific type of grinding and I'd rather show off characters natural class sets.

Partner seals are fine though later on.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

You only get that many until the next upgrade.

drat, so the only things you can buy an infinite number of are the ones that have an infinity symbol for quantity? That kinda sucks for all the more varied stuff.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

drat, so the only things you can buy an infinite number of are the ones that have an infinity symbol for quantity? That kinda sucks for all the more varied stuff.
There is a DLC map where you can potentially get more of the unique weapons, but more often than not you'll wind up with the regular Iron or Steel weapons that you can buy from your own shops.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

AradoBalanga posted:

There is a DLC map where you can potentially get more of the unique weapons, but more often than not you'll wind up with the regular Iron or Steel weapons that you can buy from your own shops.

And I highly doubt this LP will be showing much, if any, of the DLC.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

AradoBalanga posted:

Yeah, since it's random, your odds of getting the weapon you want is not much better than using the Lottery Shop, which was annoying in Awakening's DLC, and it is still annoying here.

Still, you get access to multiple copies of most weapons, meaning as long as your army uses a variety of weapon types, you should be covered. For me, it's more an issue of not being able to forge the good weapons rather than wanting to give them to more units. But honestly, if you could buy an infinite number of any weapon, the difficulty would crumble. The weapon balance in Fates is flawed in some significant ways, but I'm not totally opposed to putting some limits on how many of the special weapons you can have.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Kind of? I mean, you killed like one guy and Takumi sat on the bench

Yes, Corrin. We won this battle.
But remember, we're in Nohrian territory now. We've got a long way to go.
Can't I just be happy for a minute?
Of course.
But time is of the essence. Garon will hear about this soon. It won't be long before more Nohrian troops are on our trail.
He's right. We've got to find someplace to rest. It'll be dark soon. There's cover in the forest nearby. What do you think, Ryoma?
I think that's a good idea. Let's move toward the forest. I've been studying maps of the area in preparation for this scenario. Follow me!

*Later that night*

What's that?

*Azura walks from the lake*

Ah, it's Azura. I wonder what she's doing up at this hour. I hope everything's OK. It almost seemed like she was going to faint back in Nestra.
Well, there's only one way to find out.

*A moment later*

It sounds like she's singing that song again.

*Corrin finds Azura singing*

Ah, there she is.
It seems a bit cold for a swim...

*Azura stops singing*

Oh, Corrin!
Azura...what are you doing out here? Couldn't sleep?
Were you following me?
I suppose I was. I just heard your voice, and I wanted to ask you something.
Yes? What is it?
Well, it's about the song you were singing just now.
I see.

For example, when you sang to Takumi, it seemed to break the spell he was under. But when you sang to the Nohrian soldiers, it was almost like they were in a trance. And Izana knew some of the words—even though he'd never heard it sung before!
How is that possible?

Wait, what's this about a trance? I don't remember that in the battle menu.

I'm sorry, but I'd rather not talk about it.
Really? Azura, it's me. You can tell me anything.
You should try and get some sleep. We're going to be up early tomorrow.
Please don't change the subject. You won't talk about the song, and I feel as though I hardly know anything about you. Doesn't that make you lonely? You know that we're all friends—we're here for you!
Corrin...it's not that simple...
Ugh...

Agghhh...
No! Azura!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crBbUqAyIbg

Alright, who Poison Striked you

Weird, why would you say that after the purple thing's gone and not during

*huff *huff* *huff*
Phew... I'm OK now. I'm sorry to have worried you.

Missy, you got sum 'splaining to do

Please, don't apologize. I'll go get someone. Can Sakura help?
I'm afraid not. What you've seen is the result of a curse.
Like you, I carry special blood in my veins. But this comes at a price...
I can sing for fun, or even to help someone in battle, and I'll be OK.
But when I sing THAT song, in combination with my pendant... I'm able to generate a special kind of power.
The power to exorcise demons?
Something like that.

It doesn't always happen right away. But it always happens.
Why didn't you tell us before? You've been suffering needlessly this whole time!
No. The suffering is temporary, and I always recover.
But...
But nothing. Each time I have sung that song, it was required. And it will be required again in the near future. We will eventually need the song's power to defeat King Garon.
I see.

No wait, but what was that time you tranced enemy soldiers

If my song can help us end the war, I'll sing it as many times as necessary.
OK. But you must promise that you won't ever put yourself in danger. I don't know how you can willingly inflict such suffering upon yourself...
I promise.
If only everyone were as kindhearted as you, we'd have no war at all, Corrin.
Thank you, Azura.
I'm sorry for no telling you about this before, but... I didn't want you to worry.

Class Overview: Swordmaster, Wyvern Lord

Swordmaster

Pair-up Bonus: +5 SPD, +3 LCK
Weapon rank: Swords (S)

Skills: (lvl 5) Astra-Skill x 0.5% chance of triggering 5 consecutive hits with half damage
(lvl 15) Swordfaire-When user is equipped with a Sword, damage +5 during battle

This is the first class to be able to S rank a weapon, which I would hope so for a class literally called "Swordmaster." The other Samurai promotion has more cool skills, but if you just want power, here you go.

Wyvern Lord

Pair-up Bonus: +3 STR/DEF
Weapon rank: Lances (B), Axes (A)

Skills: (lvl 5) Rally Defense-Defence +4 to all allies within a 2 tile radius for one Turn when the “Rally” command is used
(lvl 15) Swordbreaker-Hit rate and Avoid +50 when the enemy is equipped with a Sword

Wyvern Lord is a great class to have on your team, between a good spread of weapons and having Swordbreaker on a unit that mains Axes is really convenient, giving incentive to forgo lances entirely eventually. Rally skills like defense are also much better in Fates, and obviously much easier to implement with a flying unit than say Sakura's useless Rally Luck with 5 terrain-induced movement.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I forgot to ask earlier, am I crazy for not using Scarlet and Ryoma as soon as I got them? I just held off since they seemed too powerful to use since they're so far ahead of everyone else.

I'm also a wuss who plays on Casual Normal Birthright though so it's not like it would've mattered though but still.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
It's worth pointing out the some promoted classes give passive boosts as well. Swordmaster, for instance, gives +10 avoid and crit.

Because Ryoma wasn't busted enough, you see.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Swordmaster is an offensive MONSTER, which is pushed even further by Swordfaire (which I don't believe to be too spoilery to say there is a version for every offensive weapon type other than Stones, though I spoilered it anyway just in case); I mean, more damage is always a good thing, and improved damage on the condition of using a specific type of weapon isn't much of a trade-off if you're locked to that weapon type anyway, right? Astra... well, it's pretty self-explanatory, really; it's really good when you're already doing good damage, but it's kind of counterproductive if (for some reason) you're attacking something you can't damage efficiently with regular attacks.

Really, its biggest weakness is probably the shortage of ranged swords, but those're more of a backup weapon anyway.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

CptWedgie posted:

Swordmaster is an offensive MONSTER, which is pushed even further by Swordfaire (which I don't believe to be too spoilery to say there is a version for every offensive weapon type other than Stones, though I spoilered it anyway just in case); I mean, more damage is always a good thing, and improved damage on the condition of using a specific type of weapon isn't much of a trade-off if you're locked to that weapon type anyway, right? Astra... well, it's pretty self-explanatory, really; it's really good when you're already doing good damage, but it's kind of counterproductive if (for some reason) you're attacking something you can't damage efficiently with regular attacks.

Really, its biggest weakness is probably the shortage of ranged swords, but those're more of a backup weapon anyway.

The *faire skills existed in Awakening as well so no, I highly doubt that particularly counts as a spoiler - if one is in they all are.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
This is about the time in the plot where I seriously started getting irritated by Azura's inability to just be honest, and Corrin's inability to actually follow through. It's so dumb on both ends, and so obvious.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The -faire were a little different in Awakening, however. There, it was a flat +5 to a unit's Strength or Magic stat with the corresponding weapon equipped. Fates changes it to a +5 damage boost for equipping the corresponding weapon.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

C Support

I anticipated this day would come, actually.

This alliance may be weaker than I thought.

We're all doomed!

Is your head OK, Hinata?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

AradoBalanga posted:

The -faire were a little different in Awakening, however. There, it was a flat +5 to a unit's Strength or Magic stat with the corresponding weapon equipped. Fates changes it to a +5 damage boost for equipping the corresponding weapon.

Functionally identical, with the exception of using a magic weapon no longer powering up staves.

Tae posted:

This alliance may be weaker than I thought.

If the representative of the Flame Tribe acts like this, I can see why Takumi's worried.

Tae posted:

We're all doomed!

At this point most people would likely be accused of doing such things on purpose. Is Setsuna really THAT oblivious?! I mean, I know people with mental illnesses who're more observant than her!

Tae posted:

Is your head OK, Hinata?

Well, points for the thought, but Hinata's still an idiot.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

CptWedgie posted:

Functionally identical, with the exception of using a magic weapon no longer powering up staves.
That is true. Thankfully, with the exception of Azama, the healers in Fates generally have very good magic growths and don't necessarily need an extra +5 boost to their Magic stat.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

CptWedgie posted:

There are skills/Personal skils that work off of Str/Mag, so the change does have a little impact elsewhere.

AradoBalanga posted:

That is true. Thankfully, with the exception of Azama, the healers in Fates generally have very good magic growths and don't necessarily need an extra +5 boost to their Magic stat.

The healing formula has also changed, to magic/3 instead of magic/2. Staves also had their base healing boosted a bit, to compete with the range on Rods. When combined with the lower HP totals, magic is less needed for healing in general.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Healing is boosted by all those garbage personal skills that a quarter of the Hoshido characters that heal the healer or get more heals despite having 2 defense

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I forgot to ask earlier, am I crazy for not using Scarlet and Ryoma as soon as I got them? I just held off since they seemed too powerful to use since they're so far ahead of everyone else.

I'm also a wuss who plays on Casual Normal Birthright though so it's not like it would've mattered though but still.

I benched Ryoma more or less until the endgame started, but Scarlet is insanely good because you can slap a Throwing Club on her, throw her into enemy waves, and she'll set up kills just as well as a Ninja would.

McGwee
May 1, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Eh to each their own. Birthright isn't all that hard so you don't REALLY need either of them. I just depends on now badly you wanna break the difficulty curve, but if your playing Casual then I doubt you care too much about that so go hog wild. Sometimes you just need to see a man murder an army single handed. I'd liken it to FFT and using TG Cid. You can but where's the fun in that?

Maybe try using Ryoma to murder the dlc? You get your overpowered fun without ruining the story fun...?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

C Support

Yes, something very dark and very deep in your heart.

Y-you haven't slept for three days?!

You're weaker than you look, Lord Corrin...

What...what is this?!

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

C Support

Yes, something very dark and very deep in your heart.

Azama's an rear end. I can't go into any more detail on this right now.

Tae posted:

Y-you haven't slept for three days?!

Oboro's being hypocritical, I see.

Tae posted:

You're weaker than you look, Lord Corrin...

Obvious lie is obvious, Mozu. Also, I think maybe Corrin just never learned how to lift heavy objects properly; I've heard that can potentially cause severe back problems.

Tae posted:

What...what is this?!

This is a running gag regarding Kagero's attempts at art: They always come out... well, disturbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

McGwee posted:

Maybe try using Ryoma to murder the dlc? You get your overpowered fun without ruining the story fun...?

I just used obscenely powerful (probably hacked) online characters and a special sword you're probably not guaranteed to get for that.

Which is also the reason you'd be a fool for grinding your way through beating Garon legitimately.

• Locked thread