Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

timp posted:

As loq has said many times in the past, it's a lot more fun if you assume all of them are real. If the thread was just people screaming FAKE over and over again it would be a pretty lovely thread. If you think one is fake, just keep it to yourself and wait for the next one.

Then again maybe we need the cries of "fake" every now and then so that we don't get posts like yours all the time either

I try to take them at face value if they are at all believable, but the truth is that this thread is drowning in fake confessions. And if fake confessions get attention by trolling people into angry responses then it's a reinforcing cycle for more trolling.

In my opinion the best way to deal with fakes is to call them out, to disprove them, and to tell the writer what a stupid hack he is and laugh at his dumb story. Otherwise this might as well be the creative writing thread and dispense with the anonymity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The thing attracting the fake writers is the policy of posting every one they receive, not the lack of people "calling them out". I would guess that when they see their confession criticized for being fake they just start working on a new one.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That would be fine as long as they took a hint and were less loving moronic about it. Good plausible fakes are entertaining, bad fakes with bait in every sentence are irritating and not fun. Then people take the bait and it becomes even less fun.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The thing attracting the fake writers is the policy of posting every one they receive, not the lack of people "calling them out". I would guess that when they see their confession criticized for being fake they just start working on a new one.

I just noticed the SAclopedia has an entry for anonymous confession threads. The first on was on '06; for a time they were banned.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=1731

My opinion is that the well has run dry; people who really did murder their best friend ten years ago have long since confessed. Now it's just people writing low-effort poo poo for the hell of it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

That would be fine as long as they took a hint and were less loving moronic about it. Good plausible fakes are entertaining, bad fakes with bait in every sentence are irritating and not fun. Then people take the bait and it becomes even less fun.

Yeah, this is basically my stance on it: post after post about how fake everything is gets boring, but stuff like that last DUI fesh where they're not even trying to sound like a human being instead of a caricature are also boring

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I'm pretty sure most departments have long since updated their procedures to make sure everything is done by the book with recently calibrated equipment.

This right here is probably the most unbelievable thing in this thread.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

limp_cheese posted:

This right here is probably the most unbelievable thing in this thread.

Well yeah I guess I am giving them a lot of credit but I do know from secondhand experience that they will go to court to fight back if you try and challenge the accuracy of their speed/alcohol reading and the court is more likely to believe their calibration records than your "I swear I wasn't going that fast" testimony. I just was trying to say it was "a thing" going around that all you had to do to get out of your speeding ticket is fight it in court and question the accuracy of their equipment and it would get thrown out but they are at least aware of that and prepare for it now.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

What I've heard you should do when you get pulled over drunk is exit your vehicle and turn it off, and within sight of the police officer chug a beer. Then he can't say you were drunk driving, only that he saw you chug a beer outside of your car.

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

Well yeah I guess I am giving them a lot of credit but I do know from secondhand experience that they will go to court to fight back if you try and challenge the accuracy of their speed/alcohol reading and the court is more likely to believe their calibration records than your "I swear I wasn't going that fast" testimony. I just was trying to say it was "a thing" going around that all you had to do to get out of your speeding ticket is fight it in court and question the accuracy of their equipment and it would get thrown out but they are at least aware of that and prepare for it now.

I believe you're also required to submit a blood/urine sample after being booked, so unless the cops are falsifying all of those tests, the "breathalyzer was broken/rigged!!!" excuse doesn't really fly anymore.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
From all I heard about the US and traffic stops, doing anything without prompting is a good way to get at least a gun drawn at you.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mr. F! posted:

What I've heard you should do when you get pulled over drunk is exit your vehicle and turn it off, and within sight of the police officer chug a beer. Then he can't say you were drunk driving, only that he saw you chug a beer outside of your car.

Getting out of your car without being told to is a really terrible idea when you get pulled over. Doing what you said will definitely still get you arrested and it's questionable whether it will get you out of the DUI or not (it almost definitely won't). They aren't going to be like "aww shucks you got us, carry on citizen".

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mr. F! posted:

make eye contact the entire time you are chugging, assert ur dominance

quote:

Therapy goon here. I thought I'd post an update since it was requested. I mostly lurk on SA. I didn't really do much of that either in the last weeks. The first date was a disaster and I thought that was the end of it, everything was suddenly super awkward, it was like a meeting an ex-coworker you are cordial with but don't really have anything to say to outside of work. Thank god we have somewhat similar views and interests and so actually ended up finding things to talk and bond about. We also have a very similar sense of humor and that helped a lot too, mostly in getting over the terrible awkwardness of it all. In the beginning we sort of kept pulling each other back into the thing when the other one wanted to run away. I am not sure in what other words to put it. That was just a very short phase though, since then we spent a lot of time together.

Things are honestly going well, but a few things bother me. She has a bit of a controlling and commandeering nature. I guess that is not the worst thing for me, as I am not the most disciplined person alive and can use a kick sometimes. She doesn't like me wasting my time and it's a lot of what I do and did. She constantly wants me to do things that are admittedly good for me and spend my time in more productive ways but I feel a bit crowded sometimes. This came up in therapy too of course but I have the feeling her therapist-her was a bit more patient and understanding in these regards and I'm not sure where some of that attitude comes from now. Well, maybe she was just more indifferent. I used to write but gave up on it like on most things. She read some of what I wrote and said it's great. I don't know about that but she pushes me to write more. Things like that. Maybe not incredibly useful but somehow I notice myself that I feel better when I do something, anything really.

She messages me all the time, constantly asking what I am doing and requesting to tell her more. If you want to have a confession here I have to secretly admit that I do actually enjoy all that attention she gives me right now very much, even though I am aware it is all a bit weird. I enjoy it because I have to honestly say nobody ever before cared that much about (or well, try "at all") what I do or think or for the fact that I even exist. Not even partially. Yes that's sad but well, that was my life. She also listens to me and engages me in conversation and I never really had that either with the women in my past. I don't really have the feeling I have to "win her over" or "entertain her", if that makes any sense to anyone. Talking to her is incredibly stimulating. She's smart, she's educated and it's just so rare for me to meet someone like that. We even had a conversation about freaking Koyaanisqatsi of all things that didn't include the statement that it was a "weird movie". We both were touched to tears by the falling engine part. What more could I possibly want? (I'm joking, but only a little bit) Anyways, I didn't even realize how starved for actual conversation I was.

Somehow we also skipped past the getting to know each other stage we agreed early on. After not even two weeks she just said something (I don't remember what it was) and added "but well, I'm your girlfriend, so". That part of the sentence I remember very well. I admit, I didn't protest and I am also not sure how you can protest without ruining everything but I didn't really feel like we were that far along and was a bit speechless. Maybe I'm a bit childish about this and there are no rules, I have zero experience. I'm just being honest about that. I'm also more laid back than her, she gets frustrated pretty quickly.

For example: We went to a restaurant, and my dish was a bit bigger and came with a side of salad. I said that this is a bit much for me. She said then "We will share, ok?" and without even waiting for an answer moved her chair over to mine and dug right into my salad. I said jokingly "hey I wanted to eat that", or something of that nature, I don't remember. I'm putting the stress on jokingly, I did not mind this. She dropped her silverware on her plate, moved her chair back and stopped eating then and there. I told her that it was a joke and she can eat whatever she wants from my plate, she just replied that she "doesn't appreciate such jokes" in such a flippant and angry tone I haven't heard from her before, while looking at me with the most piercing bright-blue murder-eyes which made me super uncomfortable. I was caught completely off-guard and instead of asking "what the hell" - Yeah, I apologized, without even really knowing why. Not my proudest moment. She accepted but she did not eat anything else, either from her or from my plate. Just sat there, looking upset and barely reacting to conversation. Needless to say, I didn't finish my plate either. I have never seen her quite like that or even imagined she could be that way and I am not going to lie, this was a bit scary. Especially the way she flipped so quickly into this mood.

She was a bit stand-offish afterwards, then that evening she whispered an "I love you" to me while we were watching movies at her place and it caught me so off-guard that I froze up. Nobody ever said that to me. I didn't know what to say and just replied something along the lines of "Yeah, me too" of course meaning I feel the same for her, not that I'm loving myself. Yes, like some bumbling idiot which I still cringe about when thinking back to it. Well, it made her laugh. She then went into this huge explanation about what happened earlier and how at her home eating at the table was sort of the rule and it was all a bit strict and super stressful and sometimes yelling was involved. Not sure what it had to do with what happened but I understood her childhood wasn't the best and there was some weird stuff going on there, it wasn't the first time this came up. Well, whatever. She apologized, but did vehemently deny that she was angry, which she obviously was. I didn't dig here, I felt very good with cuddling with her on the couch at that moment and it frankly just was not important. It's a strange side to her I didn't quite ever imagine she had. As private person she is very warm but below that slightly quirky exterior she is pretty high energy. There is also some anger and frustration I have seen so far shine through here and there that really surprises me. Also yes, an "I love you" after about three weeks, but alright. It doesn't bother me to say it. I feel very strong things for her and I just go along with the flow, because I have a lot of catching up to do.

..and yes, we slept together, yes we still do. Sorry, no horror stories or embarrassing details about "my first time". The worst part about it was buying and getting acquainted with condoms for the first time at the age of 33. I remember waking up in the middle of the night once because she tiptoed out of bed to go to the kitchen and I saw her from the back, Illuminated by the street lights, half-dressed and her hair all over the place. I don't know why but seeing her like that made me feel incredibly satisfied. I think that was also the first time I stopped seeing myself as some troubled kid who'll turn his life around some day and instead saw myself as the 33 year old man I somehow managed to turn into. That's what it took, somehow. I just didn't feel alone anymore.

I feel a lot less suicidal these days. I started thinking about my future again for the first time in years. The first time anyways where my future plans didn't end in jumping off some very high place. I am a bit scared about some aspects there especially since I feel it will be incredibly hard for me to work normally again and well, I'm not 23 anymore but I don't want to get into that, that's what my new therapist will be for. I feel a lot less bitter about "missed time" and I just want to try to make the best of the time I have now. It's not that I'm that old either. My mind even feels more acute, like some fog has been lifted. It's almost like my brain works better.

My parents couldn't be happier. I even told them she was my previous therapist and that's how we met and they simply just didn't care. They don't care when and if I come home, no questions asked. My mother wanted to know what she looks like and I showed her a picture. She looked at me with what I can only describe as joy and surprise. Her first words were "ohh, a blonde!". Well, yes. Thanks mom.

What actually bothers me really is the spending. I can't keep up. She has a lot more money than me, her family is also loaded from all I could gather. Maybe not rich, but certainly not far away from it. She lives in a nice place and also drives a very nice car, which makes me think mom and dad are spending quite some money on her still. I Just can't imagine she earns that much, I might be wrong though. I went through what little I can scratch together monthly in no time and she just keeps inviting me and paying for me and I am not very comfortable with this but she won't really take an no and tells me just to relax and not worry. I'm used to get the most value possible out of $5 and she just drops money anywhere and everywhere and it's just strange for me. I'm not comfortable with her spending on me and I will have to bring this up somehow, just not sure how. I also have to admit I've seen more of my city in the last weeks than in the ten years before because of this. She also gave me an expensive gift (about ~lower three-figure sum in dollars) for a hobby of mine. She knows from the therapy days that a big thing that bothered me is how nobody ever really gave me a genuine, thoughtful present my entire life. It was very thoughtful and she must have done some research, it's also not something you can just buy in the store so she must have been on the lookout since shortly after we started dating. I was very touched but kept feeling it was a bit much, and well- a bit crazy. Of course I didn't let her know or showed in any way because I didn't want to be an rear end in a top hat about it, she was super excited and happy and which rear end in a top hat says then "I can't accept this, this is too expensive"?

So yes, this entire thing is going super fast and I'm a bit overwhelmed. I maybe sound negative about it but she is a good person and does mean a whole lot to me and I want this relationship to work and I am 100% sure I want her in my life and share it with her but the speed of everything is a bit much for me and I'd wish she mellow down a little bit, especially with the money. I feel like an rear end in a top hat for writing this because it's somehow exactly what I always wanted, through sheer luck I got it now and I feel I just should be thankful instead. Maybe I'm just doubting because my experiences so far were very different. I also really, really want to be with her and it makes me very happy to spend time with her and all that stuff people in love say that's incredibly annoying when you're not in love yourself. I will spare you that. I guess I'll just see what happens.

I dunno, this is definitely progress for you, but there were a few things that sounded kinda like red flags in your description w/r/t being super controlling. Don't :sever: right away or anything, but stay on your guard: a lot of social misfits who find themselves in a relationship for the first time will put up with a bunch of poo poo they shouldn't put up with because it's better than nothing etc (see: me in college), and the world is full of people all too willing to take advantage of this.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Police Automaton posted:

From all I heard about the US and traffic stops, doing anything without prompting is a good way to get at least a gun drawn at you.

Depends on your skin color. If you're white you'll probably get yelled at. If you're brown you'll immediately be arrested and they'll probably try to deport you regardless of citizenship. If you're black you have to hope your funeral has a good turnout.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The sharing plate part of that novel seems pretty weird. I can see someone taking your comment the wrong way, but it shouldn't have been such a big deal once you explained it was a friendly joke.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I aint gonna read all that

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

VanSandman posted:

I aint gonna read all that

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
Yeah, get used to apologize for things you don't really understand. :v:

Anyways, yes, be careful. I support loquacius there. The entire thing started off a bit weird and she being a mental healthcare professional doesn't mean anything in regards to her own mental health. I didn't see anything in that wall of text that would be massively weird or a sure warning to run for the hills but take care of yourself and make sure you're happy in that relationship. Many people get stuck with people they're not happy with for the simple fact that they believe they couldn't do better.

Re: Money. I don't really see that as a massive problem tbh. :shrug:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Cliff notes, he hosed the therapist girl and it was awesome but she's probably kinda crazy and it remains to be seen whether he will run or whether the fact that he's getting sex for the first time in his life will cause him to meekly fall in line and marry her within the next month

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
as he'd get away alive

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My understanding of the current US legal system is that the technology works and is accepted, but a talented lawyer will find a technicality to call into question the procedure used to charge you. There's always going to be some missed signature or lost finger print or whatever and you can get a whole case thrown out from that. You'll end up paying way more than what the fine is just to keep your record clean which is sometimes worth it.

As for the recent confessions which are all painfully fake, there already exist threads in CC to test plot ideas for holes, they're wrecking a regularly amusing thread so their editor doesn't call them out on switching monster genders halfway through a paragraph.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I've never gotten a DUI but I once paid a lawyer to show up to traffic court for me, and apparently he and the judge agreed that although the officer THOUGHT I was checking the traffic map on my phone while stuck in a bumper-to-bumper traffic jam, what ACTUALLY happened was that I parked in front of a fire hydrant, and nobody needed to tell my insurance company about this

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

loquacius posted:

I've never gotten a DUI but I once paid a lawyer to show up to traffic court for me, and apparently he and the judge agreed that although the officer THOUGHT I was checking the traffic map on my phone while stuck in a bumper-to-bumper traffic jam, what ACTUALLY happened was that I parked in front of a fire hydrant, and nobody needed to tell my insurance company about this

What

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They gave him a lesser ticket so his insurance rates wouldn't go up.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

A lot of traffic tickets are basically a shakedown of the general public for more money -- in my case, I was stuck in traffic, checked my phone to see how bad the traffic was, and was caught by a cop who was cruising the breakdown lane scanning my lane for people doing that exact thing. I saw him pulling over some old lady for doing the same thing two minutes later.

In a lot of cases you can get the charge dismissed by showing up to your court date and making a pious-looking face at the extremely bored judge. In my case, though, the court was two states away from where I was on my court date, so I couldn't very well show up to it, so instead I hired a local lawyer to do it for me. He and the judge were probably old golf buddies, and by showing up and saying "yeah this guy paid me some money, cut him a break" he was able to get the judge to make up something else to say I'd done instead. That way, the lawyer got the money I paid him, the court got my ticket money, and I didn't have to pay ridiculous fees to my car insurance company for something they decided was literally the same thing as DUI. Win-win-win-lose (the insurance company lost, but gently caress them).

There aren't even any loving fire hydrants on I-684

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Wow so weird that the therapist who fucks her patient might not be the most emotionally healthy person.

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever
Nosferatu.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Sometimes you have to stick your hand in boiling water to truly understand it's hot.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

Sometimes you have to stick your hand in boiling water to truly understand it's hot.

I heard a cool trick to not hurt yourself from putting your hand in boiling water is to add a little bit of vegetable oil. The vegetable oil makes a film around your hand that protects it from the heat of the water.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mr. F! posted:

I heard a cool trick to not hurt yourself from putting your hand in boiling water is to add a little bit of vegetable oil. The vegetable oil makes a film around your hand that protects it from the heat of the water.

so you're saying anon should grease himself up like a Grecian wrestler the next time he meets sexy therapist? so she has a hard time grabbing his rear end I suppose.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
This is the best advice I've ever read on the internet and I feel I might as well cancel my broadband subscription now. Nothing else to gain.

The sharing plate part of that novel seems pretty weird. I can see someone taking your comment the wrong way, but it shouldn't have been such a big deal once you explained it was a friendly joke.

I thought about this actually and I think the more telling thing is the denying of having been angry later on. I have a family member who is sort of notorious for flipping his poo poo and that is a big thing in the whole spectrum that is his anger management problem, denying that the entire thing was as pictured. I wonder if such incidents will happen more in the future. In the beginning people tend to be better at masking their bad sides. That whole scene doesn't sound that dramatic and I had women get at me upset for less but yeah, the denial later. That would bother me.

E: past tense for some reason, me no native english

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Creative Convention > Anonymous Confessions: switching monster genders halfway through a paragraph.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Hang in there therapist-loving goon! It may not work out in the end, and you should be prepared for that. Over the years I've gotten to the point where I can love someone wholeheartedly but know that it could all end in an instant and that I'd be okay if it did. Don't put all your shriveled balls in one cracked basket, is what I"m saying.

Nevertheless, she's encouraging you, she cares about you, she can help you get some momentum in life! And that's worth putting up with some poo poo for. If she becomes too controlling then draw boundaries, don't let it spiral. But everyone has doubts in a relationship, that's totally normal. They may turn out to be unfounded, they may not. But best just enjoy the ride in all sense of the phrase.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

Heres something I’ve been keeping inside for the last several years which I know will sound made up to anyone with a reasonable head on their shoulders. Ever since a certain experience which I’ll be going into more detail later I’ve been living a double life as an average middle class, non religious student in public and in private as a ferociously dedicated occultist.

To keep this from getting too long I’ll get straight to the meat about how I now know several clichéd “spiritualist” notions are far realer than any sane person could believe. First I began meditating as a hobby to help clear my mind and deal with depression which I found very helpful for a variety of reasons. I never thought any of it had any real significance until one night while in bed with a lover I felt extremely strong emotional bonds with. During a brief time that felt like a moment of holy grace fell over us, with our heads touching and nothing but silence between us I decided to open up my mind in the way that I did while meditating, but this time with a purpose. I wanted to share the feelings I had for him in that moment, as truly and honestly as I could, deeper than words could tell. And in that moment things got weird, like a switch was flicked somewhere in my mind and I felt a massive burst of energy gather in the base of my skull and travel down my spinal column, along the way hitting several “points” where in I felt some sort of shift, like an activation of some organs I had never known before. As the energy reached my tailbone it bounced back, picking up immense speed and power as it shot to my skull and I felt it pass through my forehead and into my friend’s. At this point he literally was physically launched backwards and immediately went into convulsions of what I could was enormous pleasure. After about a minute of this he was able to recompose himself and all he could say was “what was that?” with a tone of awe and a not subtle hint of genuine fear underneath. I just shrugged because in that moment I was exactly as baffled as he was.

While we never again spoke of that moment between us our relationship has remained strong and with this new knowledge I redoubled my old interest in spiritualism and the occult. Over the next few months I threw myself into a frenzy of research and study to try and figure out what the hell happened to me. And it didn’t take long before the eastern notions of “chakras” and “spiritual awakenings” came to the front as not only reminiscent of my experience, but matched detail to detail in a way that I knew was not just coincidence. During this time I also began meditating with a renewed purpose, I was searching, seeking out some other external proof that this all wasn’t just some one off occurrence, a fluke. I got that proof too, more than I wanted to be honest. The depth of this new truth scared me and it still does. It’s all bigger than I can handle and I’ve been keeping all this inside ever since out of fear of gaining a reputation as one of “those” spiritualists. You know the Burning Man style of “enlightened” individuals who are more ego and pretention than anything else. Avoiding that appearance while maintaining my everyday life has been my main goal but I can’t forget. Things are different now and I can never go back to not knowing and I can’t share this with anyone for fear of losing their respect. So although this knowledge is uplifting its also a bit of a burden. Part of me feels like I should go public or maybe there’s some organization out there that could help me but I know better.

An anonymous confession feels like the only way I could tell this story, I don’t expect belief just a bit of closure so this won’t feel like I’m the only person who really knows. I cut out several key details to keep this short but I’m being 100% honest with everything I said here and if pressed to could bring up several more pieces of evidence that this all genuinely happened. Magic is real and reality is far, far more malleable than anyone could truly believe. Good night folks!

quote:

I started doing something as a goof and now it's become a full blown habit. I just thought it would be a funny gag where I'd improvise new lyrics to a song as though the artist was deeply closeted and making freudian slips about sucking dick and such.
Now I can't stop. If I get a song stuck in my head and I don't fully know the words, my brain just starts autocompleting all kinds of variations of 'im gay'. I have to watch myself whenever I'm singing around people now.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
My non-anonymous confession is that I can't even read confessions that are about ghost encounters or aliens or conspiracies. My eyes just shut down and my brain kicks me for wasting even a few seconds reading such bullshit.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
What's with all the "magic is real!" stuff popping up all over the internet in the last six months?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

quote:

Good night folks!

Yeah, your story certainly helped me on my way to sleep, that's for sure.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

loquacius posted:

Like, try to keep your "narrator is an idiot" red flags down to one per fesh, not multiple per paragraph

There seriously are morons of this level with this exact attitude to booze that I've had to personally interact with. Dude's gonna have to step through the multi year process to get back to normal driving privileges and going to be a total cocksucking motherfucker to everyone involved until it's over or he permanently loses his license. Possibly her. I'd say it's a 1/3 chance it's a chick in this situation.

Some people wake up and stop loving up. Some double down on the whole "everything's rigged, everything's a scam, I havent' drank in 78 months this is bullshit"

I think the "your equipment was faulty/uncalibrated" argument may have been more likely to work in the past, but considering how many thousands of people have been trying that defense since that advice started circulating (although I mostly heard the advice for fighting speeding tickets), I'm pretty sure most departments have long since updated their procedures to make sure everything is done by the book with recently calibrated equipment.

PA is going first offence = vehicle interlock. This means they're cracking down hard on lovely breathalyzer vendors because they know it'll be a pain in the rear end if the equipment isn't accurate enough. It was already mostly cut and dry before, now all the weird edge cases are just getting filed off so that there's no way to excuse blowing positive.
If it's local cops who don't give a gently caress it might still be fast and loose, but anything state and anything directly court related is gonna be pretty solid, or at least legally unassailable, imo.

The Management posted:

I can't believe you idiots are taking the bait on this fake as hell drunk driving story. It's an exercise in being an unreliable narrator, where he denies something but then it becomes clear that it's true. Except he goes way overboard with it to the point of absurdity.

There are literally actually people like this when it comes to driving drunk. I used to deal with this all the time on the job. One chick was loving ENRAGED because she "had dinner and one glass of wine" and the interlock wouldn't let her start the car. I had to carefully explain, yes, the thing is programmatically set to forbid start if it detects a certain breath content that is defined by law. Yes, it's actually pretty low. Apparently with your metabolism one glass will put you over the limit. And she completely lost her poo poo and decided to quit driving rather than go through the process and get her normal license back.

Or fuckers that wake up drunk and are pissed they can't drive because they're still boozed up enough that if they got pulled over normally they'd be instantly arrested. Or they get so pissed they can't drink and drive they break the equipment and then are even more pissed to find out this makes their car completely inoperable.

I think in many/most of these things the base premise of the story (in this case, being someone who drives drunk) is probably real but they add spicy bits because they feel like they need to make it entertaining. If we called out every "bait" confession we'd have to do it for pretty much every single one. People hardly ever seem to write in looking for actual advice, it's almost all people trying to get a rise out of us with the remainder being drunk sadbrains dumping their feels on us.

Besides, there definitely are people who do believe driving after drinking when they "feel fine" counts as a crime. "I drive better when I'm drunk" is a common saying for a reason, there are a lot of people who truly believe that so aside from the rich whitey hating cops and the being set up thing that confession isn't wildly out of the scope of reality like the alien/ghost ones are.

Weither that confession is actually real or not... who cares? But IMO not only is it completely fundamentally believable, there is literally 100% probability there is an actual human being with that exact story in their life history or it's unfolding as we speak.

Mr. F! posted:

Depends on jurisdiction. Never, ever leave the keys on your person or in the passenger compartment. Ex: you can easilly get a dui if you have the keys on the seat next to you and you decide to sleep it off instead of driving. Throw that poo poo in the trunk.
It may be possible to get reduced charges or somehow talk your way out of it under some weird circumstances. Like if you blow just over the limit and the cop knows how these things work and isn't feeling like loving you up you can say that you literally just had a drink maybe 1 minute ago & you just got in your car. Because breathalyzers will give elevated results right after you take a swig and with some this is actually a pretty big factor. Of course he can probably make you wait a few minutes and retake the test. Or he saw you chucking empty 5ths out the window while you were doing 85 in a 20 in front of a school and just never mentioned it yet.

Dogbrisket posted:

I believe you're also required to submit a blood/urine sample after being booked, so unless the cops are falsifying all of those tests, the "breathalyzer was broken/rigged!!!" excuse doesn't really fly anymore.

This is another one where it depends. Refusal to blow means you're prob gonna get arrested p intensely and depending on the local poo poo it might actually take a while for them to set up everything for the serious fluid tests. This difference could be the little bit it takes to knock the charges to a less serious level. If you refuse the blood test they (depending on where) are able to assume you were MAXIMUM ILLEGALLY DRUNK and they can actually hit you with maximum level penalties. This poo poo is radically different across states and even between counties/municipalities.

Atlas Hugged posted:

My understanding of the current US legal system is that the technology works and is accepted, but a talented lawyer will find a technicality to call into question the procedure used to charge you. There's always going to be some missed signature or lost finger print or whatever and you can get a whole case thrown out from that. You'll end up paying way more than what the fine is just to keep your record clean which is sometimes worth it.

This is true. There's a lawyer around here locally who basically saves peoples asses through this but also he tends to pull poo poo like, "well judge, you know this client is charged with drunk bullshittery and gently caress those assholes, but you know, disorderly conduct + xyz can really rack up extensive fines our boys in blue can surely use to help stop the truly criminal element...."

loquacius posted:

A lot of traffic tickets are basically a shakedown of the general public for more money -- in my case, I was stuck in traffic, checked my phone to see how bad the traffic was, and was caught by a cop who was cruising the breakdown lane scanning my lane for people doing that exact thing. I saw him pulling over some old lady for doing the same thing two minutes later.

In a lot of cases you can get the charge dismissed by showing up to your court date and making a pious-looking face at the extremely bored judge. In my case, though, the court was two states away from where I was on my court date, so I couldn't very well show up to it, so instead I hired a local lawyer to do it for me. He and the judge were probably old golf buddies, and by showing up and saying "yeah this guy paid me some money, cut him a break" he was able to get the judge to make up something else to say I'd done instead. That way, the lawyer got the money I paid him, the court got my ticket money, and I didn't have to pay ridiculous fees to my car insurance company for something they decided was literally the same thing as DUI. Win-win-win-lose (the insurance company lost, but gently caress them).

There aren't even any loving fire hydrants on I-684

exactly. A lot of the system is like this.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Arven posted:

What's with all the "magic is real!" stuff popping up all over the internet in the last six months?

All of a sudden? It's always been like that. Perhaps you're suffering from the Mandela effect?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

All of a sudden? It's always been like that. Perhaps you're suffering from the Mandela effect?

He's blowing up women and children?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

There have been magic is totally real you all morons forever. You should know to instantly tune these folks out.