Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Glue is still drying and my cuts look like poo poo (hint, don't use a really cheap utility knife as it's not sharp enough), but I have foam-cored my copy of Food Chain Magnate. I think it took me around three hours, but if I had to do it again I likely could do it in just under two now that I figured out what I'm doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

malkav11 posted:

Finally got to try the copy of Vinhos Deluxe (w/ all KS content) I got as an addon to Lisboa, using the 2016 reworked rules rather than the 2010 original. I quite enjoyed it and like The Gallerist was impressed by the sheer degree of interlocking systems and challenging decisions (as well as the gorgeous production values), but I will say that it did not feel quite as tight or impressive as Gallerist. You can tell it's an earlier design, I think.

Wow, that's the opposite of my take on those two games. What specific systems did you like more in The Gallerist as opposed to Vinhos? I'm interested to get your take.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

How does everyone feel about Lisoba from what you've seen so far?

I actually had the deluxe edition pre-ordered, but I cancelled it when I finally got to play the Gallerist non-solo. I actually really liked the Gallerist, but it's a true struggle to get it to the table, and it definitely seems like it's better with 3+. Lisboa looked like the Gallerist on steroids in that it would be harder to get to the table , need longer to setup, and take longer to teach.

I'd like to try Vinhos Deluxe also...I really only want to have one Lacerda game, and I think the Gallerist is probably among his top even if I'd end up liking Kanban or Vinhos a bit more.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Not everyone lives in the US though, it can be harder to get games in other places.

e: this was directed at splotter stuff being available in US from the last page

There's this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3501008 for trades specifically if you didn't know. Some people don't read this one because it moves too fast, but still read trading thread.

Fellis fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 10, 2017

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Cool, thanks, will try there

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I have a ton of garbage magic cards, so I was thinking about using them for a print and play game. As someone who likes euros that don't require exact planning multiple turns in advance, what games would you recommend? I was thinking about Puzzle Strike, but I already have Dominion and Valley of the Kings.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Here is the finished insert. I'd give it like a 6/10. I used a photo from BGG to model mine after. I sleeved all my non-milestone cards, and the un-sleeved milestone cards are at the bottom of each card compartment. I didn't bother cutting finger grip areas in for the card compartment, but I left enough space that it's possible to grab them. I wish I had cut holes in to grip through though.

The sleeved cards take up SO MUCH space, and everything is totally jam-packed. I made that little compartment on the right slightly too small, so some of the cardboard pieces had to go on top of the money, which is basically the sole location remaining with any extra space.

A good thing about it being so jam-packed is that everything stays perfectly in place even if the box is jostled while sideways.

This is unfortunately how high the box sits now. The main issue is all the player aids and manual on top. I'm somewhat tempted to just put the German player-aids in a box somewhere so they don't fatten the box up like this, but I'm worried I'd lose them and that would somehow bother me.

This is what I still need to figure out how to foam-core. I don't use the paper money, but I wanted all the base game stuff in the actual main box rather than having base components in a separate place. I have the accordion thing that goes with those laminate boards, and it unfortunately cannot fit in this cigar box, so I don't know what I'm going to do.

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 10, 2017

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Impermanent posted:

Wow, that's the opposite of my take on those two games. What specific systems did you like more in The Gallerist as opposed to Vinhos? I'm interested to get your take.

I was constantly agonizing over every decision in The Gallerist, whereas towards the end of Vinhos there were some actions where I didn't really feel like I could do anything terribly productive, and there's a couple bits that didn't feel entirely baked - for example, the "action trundel" (I think it's called) didn't feel like it really made much difference. I tried to avoid having to pay but mostly on general principles and it never really hurt me to take an action across the way or where someone already was if that made sense on that turn. And the fair mechanic is interesting to a point but the fact that fair points don't reset means it's a little too easy for someone to take an early lead and just never be surpassed. And some of the Magnate scoring tiles felt like a waste of a barrel.

Mind you, I've played each game exactly once, and they're super heavy games that I certainly haven't mastered in that time frame. So that impression might change.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=809088912&searchtext=founders+of+gloomhaven

Someone play this and report back tia

Edit: This is actually official, but obviously not final.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
We are loving Gloomhaven so far, people are hungry for more. We do wonder if we are flubbing some rules, because we have not lost a single game so far. Though 3 games out of 9 were down to a final luck of the draw. I actually find myself being more helped/hurt by the random draws of the AI deck, than the combat modifier deck. We also end up discussing a lot during the planning, which does make the game last longer. I have managed to make people avoid stating initiative numbers, but often they end up just saying damage numbers while talking.

I am really considering getting Forge War now, based on the strength of this game. How is it? I think it will mainly be for solo if I get it, so how is the solo mode?

EDIT: I can't format.

lordsummerisle fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Mar 10, 2017

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

angel opportunity posted:

Glue is still drying and my cuts look like poo poo (hint, don't use a really cheap utility knife as it's not sharp enough), but I have foam-cored my copy of Food Chain Magnate. I think it took me around three hours, but if I had to do it again I likely could do it in just under two now that I figured out what I'm doing

When cutting foamcore you REALLY need to sharpen your knife like, every foot or so. Foam dulls blades like nobody's business for some reason.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Also don't press really hard to try to cut through it with one cut, use like 3-4 lighter cuts and your edges will come out much cleaner as the foam inside won't be getting pushed and pulled around so much.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

EBag posted:

Also don't press really hard to try to cut through it with one cut, use like 3-4 lighter cuts and your edges will come out much cleaner as the foam inside won't be getting pushed and pulled around so much.

I usually start a new blade on each project, but never have tearing problems, and this is the reason why. Minimum 3 cuts for each edge (top layer, foam layer, bottom layer). It'll go a little slower but will save you on blades and headaches.

My big Mage Knight insert probably has 10-15 feet of cuts (just working it over in my mind), all smooth as butter, all on the same blade from your standard factory-floor box cutter. The trick is 100% using a light hand and multiple passes on each cut.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Finished

I switched to an exacto knife and it worked perfectly. I only needed 3 or 4 cuts. On the old blade no matter what I did I needed like 8 cuts and then I had to flip it over and cut the other side. That other knife simply couldn't get through the cardboard on the back side.

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 10, 2017

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Are there any strong opinions one way or the other about the 2016 reprint of Citadels? For reference ( I assume it's a drafting game of sorts), I've never played the original, sold my 7 Wonders lot of being in the weird space between too complicated to , haven't touched Between Two Cities in like a year, and play a lot of Sushi Go Party. It's on sale fairly cheap online at Target currently.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Shadow225 posted:

Are there any strong opinions one way or the other about the 2016 reprint of Citadels? For reference ( I assume it's a drafting game of sorts), I've never played the original, sold my 7 Wonders lot of being in the weird space between too complicated to , haven't touched Between Two Cities in like a year, and play a lot of Sushi Go Party. It's on sale fairly cheap online at Target currently.

It sounds like you don't need it. How often would it get played?

My experience with citadels is a very sub-meh game. It's not outwardly broken or offensive, but something that never needed to be put on the table again.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Shadow225 posted:

Fair warning - if you're talking about this specific listing it's not the 2016 version that's pictured. I ordered that back in December and I got this, which I returned.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

lordsummerisle posted:

We are loving Gloomhaven so far, people are hungry for more. We do wonder if we are flubbing some rules, because we have not lost a single game so far. Though 3 games out of 9 were down to a final luck of the draw. I actually find myself being more helped/hurt by the random draws of the AI deck, than the combat modifier deck. We also end up discussing a lot during the planning, which does make the game last longer. I have managed to make people avoid stating initiative numbers, but often they end up just saying damage numbers while talking.

I am really considering getting Forge War now, based on the strength of this game. How is it? I think it will mainly be for solo if I get it, so how is the solo mode?

EDIT: I can't format.

My group also hasn't lost a game, but we play a lot of co-ops and tactical games so it's pretty much in our wheelhouse. We've had a really close call- there's a scenario that's a long zig zagging hallway with a room full of enemies at the end, and we were already really low on cards just from getting to the room. We almost gave up, but we tried it and managed to win with two exhausted characters and, I think, 3 cards left between the other two of us. Usually we don't have an exhausted characters, though- the Tinkerer is really good at keeping us going. We also spend a lot of time discussing, so our games take a long time; we avoid numbers but we're pretty free with "I'm going as early as I can and I expect to kill this guy" or "I'll do a chunk of damage to him but unless I get a good mod he'll probably need another hit" and the like.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Imagine a legacy game like Gloomhaven that embraces the players happily being selfish graverobbing murderhobos, but instead of trying to do you in only with bigger monsters or more hardship the legacy element kicks in with stuff like: you get supplies at the village then hit the dungeon, but it's already cleaned out with a sign that says "Another den of monsters made safe by The Friendly Adventurers!"

Then the game becomes about out-competing & trying to beat those fuckers to the good spots, making hard choices about things like whether you can afford to stop for supplies/healing and risk those assholes getting the jump on you and so on. On top of it all they are nauseatingly polite and virtuous, meaning the locals give them preferential treatment. Good god, they even donated the proceeds from their last raid!

E: oops I just described an rpg except no rpg I've ever played was fun so :confused:

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 10, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mister Sinewave posted:

Imagine a legacy game like Gloomhaven that embraces the players happily being selfish graverobbing murderhobos, but instead of trying to do you in only with bigger monsters or more hardship the legacy element kicks in with stuff like: you get supplies at the village then hit the dungeon, but it's already cleaned out with a sign that says "Another den of monsters made safe by The Friendly Adventurers!"

Then the game becomes about out-competing & trying to beat those fuckers to the good spots, making hard choices about things like whether you can afford to stop for supplies/healing and risk those assholes getting the jump on you and so on. On top of it all they are nauseatingly polite and virtuous, meaning the locals give them preferential treatment. Good god, they even donated the proceeds from their last raid!

This but add more realistic economic models thrown in. See the implications of selling the 50G sword +1 to a village pawn shop as they try to scramble to get enough money, with monetary base and money supply shenanigans. :mrgw:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chill la Chill posted:

This but add more realistic economic models thrown in. See the implications of selling the 50G sword +1 to a village pawn shop as they try to scramble to get enough money, with monetary base and money supply shenanigans. :mrgw:

Here's how it works.

You each player manages a company of adventurers. You can hire guys from various classes - fighters, leaders, casters, scouts. Play happens on a randomized board with a series of villages and wilderness. Your scouts go out and set up different kinds of scouting posts to look for, oh, say 5 kinds of monsters that may be out there, identified by how you can kill them. There could be two kinds of monsters which your fighters can kill, but they require different weapons for them - maybe zombies (slashing) and skeletons (piercing). And then there might be three kinds of monsters which your casters can kill, but they need to go out and collect the various potions to kill them.

So your scouts find these monsters all over the board, and you need to offer the best deals to the villagers who become terrified of the monsters. But here's the trick - the villagers are only going to hire the cheapest and most convenient company of adventurers to solve their monster problems, and only those companies which posses everything that it takes to clear out the monster dens which threaten them.

Because the villagers only have a finite amount of money, the game goes until they're broke.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Shadow225 posted:

Citadels is pretty accessible but the gameplay is not good. You draft roles that determine which order you play in and what special ability you have for that turn, which works fine for me. But the city-building is rather one-dimensional and there's not a lot of interesting strategy or interaction on that side of things, so the overall goal you're working toward isn't very compelling.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

CommonShore posted:

Here's how it works.

You each player manages a company of adventurers. You can hire guys from various classes - fighters, leaders, casters, scouts. Play happens on a randomized board with a series of villages and wilderness. Your scouts go out and set up different kinds of scouting posts to look for, oh, say 5 kinds of monsters that may be out there, identified by how you can kill them. There could be two kinds of monsters which your fighters can kill, but they require different weapons for them - maybe zombies (slashing) and skeletons (piercing). And then there might be three kinds of monsters which your casters can kill, but they need to go out and collect the various potions to kill them.

So your scouts find these monsters all over the board, and you need to offer the best deals to the villagers who become terrified of the monsters. But here's the trick - the villagers are only going to hire the cheapest and most convenient company of adventurers to solve their monster problems, and only those companies which posses everything that it takes to clear out the monster dens which threaten them.

Because the villagers only have a finite amount of money, the game goes until they're broke.

Food Chain Magnate with swords? Sign me up!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Citadels is pretty accessible but the gameplay is not good. You draft roles that determine which order you play in and what special ability you have for that turn, which works fine for me. But the city-building is rather one-dimensional and there's not a lot of interesting strategy or interaction on that side of things, so the overall goal you're working toward isn't very compelling.

Yeah, the tableau you build in Citadels is really boring and doesn't actually give you anything resembling an engine. The Role-taking is fine enough but at any given game state there are usually 3-4 "Good" choices and 4-5 "I'll take this because no one expects me to, so they will have a harder time loving with me" choices, plus it has huge potential for idiot spite plays because it's an old game with direct interaction.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Dirk the Average posted:

Holy moley this would totally work :stare:

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

I wouldn't call Citadels a drafting game in the sense 7 Wonders is. The closest thing to drafting is the choice of role cards at the beginning of each round, which each come with some special ability the player can use that round. And the purpose of that is more about giving you knowledge on what other players might or might not have chosen, as many of the abilities hinge on targeting a role, not a player (ie. if you pick Assassin role, which lets you act first in the round and take one player out before they can act that round, you don't get to point Pete with it, you need to try and guess which role he has chosen, and that role might be not chosen at all that round or just be some other player).

It's a reasonably fun game I bring to the table occasionally, but honestly wouldn't make it any kind of priority getting it. Its biggest problem honestly is that it often just drags on too long for what it is, if you play it by the book. And it is legit Faidutti chaotic game those moments when the district deck seems to offer you nothing but bullshit and all targeted role abilities seem to be hitting you.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

It would be cool if there was a more precise way of knowing how long a game would take, at least relative to other games. I have a new work group that will lose a person or two to a commuter shuttle at 1h45m into a session. The cube timer helps, but sometimes it's hard to determine if the game can realistically be played in 1h45m with 4 players. I can do some back of the envelope estimates of how many turns the game will have, but that's a little dicey. It seems like most mid-weight games end up going over time unless we've played it a bunch of times.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dirk the Average posted:

:eyepop: I started thinking about how it would be a cool modified bidding game with a shared pool of workers and you're right, it's practically FCM + MK spawning. Needs to have randomized dungeon setups in addition to villages or you can get rid of the "company" presence and just place dungeons along with the villages.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You guys are nearly describing Majesty, an RTS game where you don't control any units and instead post bounties to hope an adventurer gets off their fat rear end to collect.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Here's how it works.

minus the scouting and the economics, adding a mining for resources section, and you've exactly described Isaac Childres' (Gloomhaven) first game, Forge War.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

al-azad posted:

You guys are nearly describing Majesty, an RTS game where you don't control any units and instead post bounties to hope an adventurer gets off their fat rear end to collect.

The reverse, really. You'd be the guild hiring out adventurers for the problems and the settlements put up the bounty.

Bonus points if you're incentivized to herd monsters to villages to drive up their demand, or double book a monster by luring it near two locations at once.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I do wish the Map Board for Gloomhaven had more to it than just places to put stickers on. Possibly have paths the team has to follow which dictate the possibility and amount of Road Events instead of only one automatically.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

angel opportunity posted:

Finished

I switched to an exacto knife and it worked perfectly. I only needed 3 or 4 cuts. On the old blade no matter what I did I needed like 8 cuts and then I had to flip it over and cut the other side. That other knife simply couldn't get through the cardboard on the back side.

Nice work man! I've got a cutting board and x-acto knife in my amazon shopping cart waiting to pull the trigger. I want to try and make something that will comfortably fit all my Cyclades stuff in the main box.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 10, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dirk the Average posted:

The reverse, really. You'd be the guild hiring out adventurers for the problems and the settlements put up the bounty.

Bonus points if you're incentivized to herd monsters to villages to drive up their demand, or double book a monster by luring it near two locations at once.

There's several ways you can do this. A series of games similar to a cinematic universe, each with different points of view. Recettear, Dungeon Lords (they're part of the economy too!), the guild from Konosuba, and the one I was originally thinking of: the adventuring party that can't squeeze too much or risk exploding the local economy. Even a Recettear from the point of view of a local Reserve that's in charge of managing interest rates and monetary base. And an earlier economics model that doesn't even have the fiat system so the adventurers really are screwing with the commodity currency in place. You can even make a combo like Chicago Express but allow for the exchange of ownership for bonds or adventuring party stock certificates.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

You can even make a combo like Chicago Express but allow for the exchange of ownership for bonds or adventuring party stock certificates.

Yeah - I like that - I think you need to go deep on economy here.

Insurance against specific dungeon perils. Commodity futures markets for stuff like cure potions. Pensions for retired/disabled adventurers.

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

Sefer posted:

My group also hasn't lost a game, but we play a lot of co-ops and tactical games so it's pretty much in our wheelhouse. We've had a really close call- there's a scenario that's a long zig zagging hallway with a room full of enemies at the end, and we were already really low on cards just from getting to the room. We almost gave up, but we tried it and managed to win with two exhausted characters and, I think, 3 cards left between the other two of us. Usually we don't have an exhausted characters, though- the Tinkerer is really good at keeping us going. We also spend a lot of time discussing, so our games take a long time; we avoid numbers but we're pretty free with "I'm going as early as I can and I expect to kill this guy" or "I'll do a chunk of damage to him but unless I get a good mod he'll probably need another hit" and the like.

We've had some touch and go moments (about 6ish missions in), but we haven't lost a scenario either. Difficultly has been steadily increasing, so I expect it'll be getting rougher as we move forward. Being the Tinker player in our group, I'm a little annoyed to be a semi-heal-bot, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's more interesting options/classes the further in you go. Something that I've found interesting is that card refreshing seems to be worth more than straight numerical healing, both in terms of giving additional options and giving extra survivability.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
On the topic of modifications to stuff, I know people here are kinda down on Betrayal at House on the Hill, but it gets a request for our game night every so often. Does anyone have suggestions for how to make the little black clips sit better on the player cards? I'm thinking of getting some kind of thin board I can cut out in the same shape and stack them together so the card is a bit thicker, but I'm curious if anyone else has a better idea.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I've played Citadels once, and I sorta felt like I was playing a variant of Villagers & Villains or something. I liked it enough, I guess, but I've enjoyed the latter more.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I think you can reshape them a little if you toss them in really, really hot water for a second. Just squeeze them a bit after fishing them out with a fork or something.

E: alternatively email Wizards of the Coast or Hasbro or whoever has the license right now about it - the original run of the green box reprint had really terrible thin cardboard that was warped pretty much out of the box, and if you check in with them they'll email you a whole new stack of (slightly) thicker cardboard tiles + player cards + whatever, including some of the black tabs themselves if you ask nicely. Really impressively good customer service.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 11, 2017

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Skypie posted:

On the topic of modifications to stuff, I know people here are kinda down on Betrayal at House on the Hill, but it gets a request for our game night every so often. Does anyone have suggestions for how to make the little black clips sit better on the player cards? I'm thinking of getting some kind of thin board I can cut out in the same shape and stack them together so the card is a bit thicker, but I'm curious if anyone else has a better idea.

There's a handful of apps out there that do character tracking pretty well, I'd recommend you all just download those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Skypie posted:

Back when I had a copy, I just went through each of the sliders that didn't fit and clamped them between some pliers for about 30 seconds each. Fit fine afterwards.