Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Gerblyn posted:

Yep. Only real issue is that you need to rescue the witch from Irythyll dungeon before you have access to it as a pyro.

Yes but that can solved by the time honored technique of "running real fast".

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

HaB posted:

Yes but that can solved by the time honored technique of "running real fast".

:haw:

That's the best way to treat irthyll dungeon as a whole.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

hanales posted:

That's the best way to treat irthyll dungeon as a whole.

Yeah my speedrun game for the Dungeon is strong. It's basically: run to that key, open that gate, jump out, kill those 3 dudes, fall by the giant, kill the rats, open the shortcut by the dragon statue, run back to the giant, fall down, kill rats, kill giant, open final shortcut, go get keys, free Siegward, free the Witch. Done.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
It's amazing how much stuff is all locked away in the dungeon that requires you to backtrack, and how all of it is poo poo.

I had to do the end of it twice because I didn't rest at the entry bonfire and so Karla didn't show up, but you can Splinter Cell that last cellblock pretty easily it turns out.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Inspector_666 posted:

It's amazing how much stuff is all locked away in the dungeon that requires you to backtrack, and how all of it is poo poo.

I had to do the end of it twice because I didn't rest at the entry bonfire and so Karla didn't show up, but you can Splinter Cell that last cellblock pretty easily it turns out.

I don't think past my first playthrough I EVER grabbed the set of Ashes for the vendor which is in there. Does it even unlock anything good?

Edit: the prisoner chief's ashes. Rime Blue Moss clumps, Pale Resin and Karla's set.

HaB fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 9, 2017

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I thought I had hosed up by killing friede first but, you can still get the ariandel pyromancy even if you killed all the bosses :haw:.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Is there any way to max out your hollowing level to get the best possible AR and Luck bonus from Hollow infusion without leveling up your soul level?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Time_pants posted:

Is there any way to max out your hollowing level to get the best possible AR and Luck bonus from Hollow infusion without leveling up your soul level?

Jump of a cliff over and over?

Having more dark sigils makes it go faster, but the first 5 require you to take a level up from Yoel for each.

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

She'll tear, YOUR SOUL, apart!
Well poo poo.

So finally made it to the end of that lovely Smoldering Lake area and told Anri that her boy Horus was MIA, thinking this would progress my Lord of Hallows ending to the next step. I Accidently alt tabbed out and for some reason there's this skelly just going to town on my poor hallowed behind in Anri's place; did i mess up somehow by not telling her about the now dead Horus in Smoldering Lake?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yes

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Finally beat the twin princes. Switched to a pyro build just for variety. I killed dragonslayer armour in one go just dodging and using CBV, but I couldn't get past the twin princes as a pyro. So i said gently caress it, and just went in there with melee strategies and beat them on my 3rd try.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Doesn't telling Anri about Horris cause her to go investigate and basically end her path?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

Doesn't telling Anri about Horris cause her to go investigate and basically end her path?

Correct.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Not if you kill Horace first.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Not if you kill Horace first.

Ah, then I think theAcidQueen should still be fine then? I didn't tell Anri about Horris mostly because I dont think I found him before beating Wolnir, and ended up getting the Lord of Hollows ending.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

So I managed to kill vordt on my 3rd attempt, it was pretty badass! Now I'm in the undead settlement. What the gently caress is up with that big fat undead witch thing that hugs you and puts you on fire and shoots these weird rear end black holes at you. Jesus loving christ. This game is awesome! I'm really starting to get the hang of when I should be doing things and how to fight and I'm having a lot more fun now.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

HAW HAW HAW

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

She'll tear, YOUR SOUL, apart!

Oxyclean posted:

Ah, then I think theAcidQueen should still be fine then? I didn't tell Anri about Horris mostly because I don't think I found him before beating Wolnir, and ended up getting the Lord of Hollows ending.

I've been looking all over the web and i've yet to find a situation like mine.

I think what may have actually happened is that a Skeleton wandered over to my while i was alt-tabbed out and managed to murder poor Anri. Literally one zone away from getting the Lord of Hallows ending and now i'm stuck as some rotting skeleton with 6 stacks of Dark Sigil :(

This is literally the most depressing game. I guess the only thing to do now is sally forth and attempt the "End of Fire" ending, since it's imo the most fitting after what happened; this world needs a mercy killing at this point.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Time_pants posted:

The fall from the top level of Firelink Shrine is high enough to kill you, so do that. Takes like 10 seconds from the bonfire.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

theAcidQueen posted:

I think what may have actually happened is that a Skeleton wandered over to my while i was alt-tabbed out and managed to murder poor Anri. Literally one zone away from getting the Lord of Hallows ending and now i'm stuck as some rotting skeleton with 6 stacks of Dark Sigil :(

You can reverse the hollowing if you want to, by giving the fire keeper her ashes and paying a ton of souls.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mynameisbatman posted:

So I managed to kill vordt on my 3rd attempt, it was pretty badass! Now I'm in the undead settlement. What the gently caress is up with that big fat undead witch thing that hugs you and puts you on fire and shoots these weird rear end black holes at you. Jesus loving christ. This game is awesome! I'm really starting to get the hang of when I should be doing things and how to fight and I'm having a lot more fun now.

i think they're throwing flies at you

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm nearly certain the skeletons can't kill NPC Anri

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Tollymain posted:

i think they're throwing flies at you

miracle: summon a shitload of hungry biting flies to rip and tear

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
miracle, divine plague, what's the difference

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm nearly certain the skeletons can't kill NPC Anri

At least in my experience they ignore Anri.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Fister Roboto posted:

The fall from the top level of Firelink Shrine is high enough to kill you, so do that. Takes like 10 seconds from the bonfire.

The bonfire near cornyx is 2 seconds from a cliff

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The bonfire near cornyx is 2 seconds from a cliff

I use the first Undead Settlement bonfire. It's literally ON a cliff.

Speaking of Cornyx: he's kind of useless. It's weird that he can't even take half the Pyro tomes you give him. Pure Pyro build is going well, tho. Made it to Yorshka's Church bonfire last night, and will be hoofing over to the Dungeon to free Karla. GCFO is making a joke of most things. I have barely leveled anything but Int/Fth so I'm already at 30/30. Is the point of diminishing returns still 40/40 for those? I will be infusing my Axe with Chaos once I grab the Giant's Coal. Already grabbed the Chaos Gem in Smoldering Lake.

Finally started to put a few points into Vit/Att/End because I can only swing my axe 3 times before I start breathing heavy.

I never got the Pyro cheevo (or the Sorcery/Miracle ones either). Is there anything I can miss? I already transposed for Boulder Spit and whatever the Wolnir one is. Isn't there one in one of the lava areas in the Demon Ruins or something?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There are pyromancies in the lava, yeah. Hope you like suicide runs! :v:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

theAcidQueen posted:

I've been looking all over the web and i've yet to find a situation like mine.

This is literally the most depressing game. I guess the only thing to do now is sally forth and attempt the "End of Fire" ending, since it's imo the most fitting after what happened; this world needs a mercy killing at this point.

I'm not clear on what happened. You told Anri you couldn't find Horrace, tabbed out, and when you came back skeletons were attacking you? Or were you already dead and back at a bonfire? Was Anri missing when you got back to her spot?

If the area reloaded, it's possible she just moved on after you told her you couldn't find Horrace. You're supposed to see her at the third bonfire (Church of Yorshka) in Irithyll, if you dont see her there then you might be screwed. :v:

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

HaB posted:

I never got the Pyro cheevo (or the Sorcery/Miracle ones either). Is there anything I can miss? I already transposed for Boulder Spit and whatever the Wolnir one is. Isn't there one in one of the lava areas in the Demon Ruins or something?

You're probably missing the ones that come from covenants too. Blades of the Darkmoon Rank 2 for miracles (sunbros as well, but they're easy), Aldrich Faithful Rank 1 for sorcery (relatively quick), and Mound Makers Rank 2 for pyromancy.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Cornyx teaches you chaos fireball, the best pyromancy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tying achievements to covenants is some bullshit

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The real bullshit one is the ring from the watchdogs.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

It's not like we didn't know what we were in for, it's the 3rd game in a row this has been the case, NG++ too.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

At least it's not DS2 where chaos fireball is locked behind winning a stupid amount of pvp in the red covenant or getting to NG++.

The true reason DS2 is the worst souls game is that it has no corpse/ragdoll kicking, but a runner up is the lack of pyro starting class and general making GBS threads on pyromancy. I imagine it has viability later on but it seems like it takes a lot more work then sorc to focus on.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah for 2 it's fine in NG+ but I don't think I touched it in NG

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Swordgrass is easier than proofs

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Swordgrass is easier than proofs

Yeah, you can just level a fresh character and prey on new players for swordgrass farming. Proofs theres no good level to farm them for.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

theAcidQueen posted:

The big lesson here is not to alt-tab out of a souls game unless you're in a 100% safe zone with no invasions allowed and certainty of no enemies aggro'd since your last bonfire reset. If you're going to be away for a while, quit to menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Paracelsus posted:

The big lesson here is not to alt-tab out of a souls game unless you're in a 100% safe zone with no invasions allowed and certainty of no enemies aggro'd since your last bonfire reset. If you're going to be away for a while, quit to menu.

There's been so many times I went to go heat up some food or hit the restroom and I've come back to a red phantom plunging a sword into my back.