Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
No one should have a happy ending. That would be worse than the Seinfeld finale.

Dennis should end up in jail for killing/raping people.
Dee should get AIDS.
Charlie should die of poisoning.
Mac should die filming a project badass clip.
Frank should have a heart attack and end up alone and miserable.

Cricket should get a happy ending. He should marry Belle and have puppies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Gordong Dongbay posted:

I can respect your opinion but I disagree. This season was, in my opinion, one of the better ones. Not everyone is going to enjoy the high concept route they are taking with their episodes but some of the best stuff has come from their episodes that aren't just contained in the bar or one setting. The jokes are top notch as always but now they have started doing a lot more by widening the scope of the episodes and taking the time to actually go deeper into the personality traits they show.

I still think Hero or Hate Crime? is one of the funniest episodes of the entire series and the payoff of PTSDee is one of the single funniest moments of the entire series and with some minor tweaks I would have been honestly satisfied if they ended the series with that episode.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Cojawfee posted:

I hope they do a few episodes without Dennis and then he just tries to wander back in like nothing happened.

This I could see happening.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Despite thinking earlier season episodes are generally better, I find myself more likely to rewatch the later season episodes.

It's a little weird to say that either a happy ending or sad ending for each character is preferable, since what happens to the gang isn't really important and never has been. It's about how things happen. They could all be murdered by the Russian government after being installed in Robobama's cabient, and it could still be good.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Waltzing Along posted:

No one should have a happy ending. That would be worse than the Seinfeld finale.

Dennis should end up in jail for killing/raping people.
Dee should get AIDS.
Charlie should die of poisoning.
Mac should die filming a project badass clip.
Frank should have a heart attack and end up alone and miserable.

Cricket should get a happy ending. He should marry Belle and have puppies.

Maybe the Seinfeld finale would work out for at least one of them. I think Charlie would really benefit from prison. He'd get actual food every day and not be subjected to Charlie-work. They could even solve his illiteracy.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Three Olives posted:

Mac finds a husband that looks exactly like Dennis

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I can't believe this was the season finale. Except for Dennis possibly leaving, I really didn't think it was already the end of the season. I feel like there weren't enough episodes. I just went and looked, and for the life of me, I don't remember watching "Old Lady House: A Situation Comedy." Sometimes my DVR cancels recordings because of conflicts, but how did I miss an entire episode?

So I guess I can go back and watch it, but still... this season just feels too short.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
I really thought they were gonna bring Abby back at some point. Disappointed they didn't.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

The gang can't lose the brains

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I literally have to believe it's like whoever said a few pages back that they are just playing a long joke. If Rob will get fat for one season of jokes they will commit to anything. I can't handle the thought of anything else.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
they should recast Dennis with Tony Danza and never mention it.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Replace Dennis with Sinbad and Rob Thomas

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Keep Dennis off the show but let Glenn Howerton substitute in for each of the other actors for like, an episode. I bet he would make a good waitress.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Stunt Rock posted:

Keep Dennis off the show but let Glenn Howerton substitute in for each of the other actors for like, an episode. I bet he would make a good waitress.

Have him be a police sergeant in an episode when they get caught doing something.

"GOD DAMMIT, DUTCH. WHAT OTHER ERRANDS HAVE YOU GOT US RUNNING FOR THE D.A.!"

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
I hope Dennis comes back and its only the next day but the Gang has already replaced him

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Dennis can't even survive a month in the suburbs. I don't think he can adjust to North Dakota. He's got too much of an edge.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

alpha_destroy posted:

Dennis can't even survive a month in the suburbs. I don't think he can adjust to North Dakota. He's got too much of an edge.

He's out as soon as he finds out she has a pet lizard and has always wanted to move to the desert.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Who'll order for the gang at restaurants now? None of the others have a refined enough palate.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I could see Dennis moving out to North Dakota and becoming a vet (He canonically did go to Penn and their Veterinary School is one of the absolute best in the world) and pretending like everything is OK until his wife finds a freezer hidden in the basement that is covered in padlocks.

I really appreciate that All-The-Way out of the closet Mac still maintains that the AssBlaster 4K isn't just a dildo bike.

Uh, Charlie banging the Waitress wasn't nearly as funny as Charlie passing out while insisting that Dee not try to have sex with him. it's been said before but Glenn and Caitlin's facial gags were so totally hilarious they were the biggest jokes for me, except the 'OK' Charlie gives Dennis when he mentions the "left-handed" thing, that got a full spit take out of me. Honestly the Waitress has always been the worst character in the show but I think they are telegraphing The Waitress & Cricket getting together because they are the two people the most destroyed by the gang, they are both homeless addicts, and they both don't have any lower to sink. The Waitress is going to be pregnant all next season and Charlie's Babies birth will have absolutely none of the emotional fanfare of Dee's, because no one will care.

I feel like maybe We've had moments in the past where Charlie told the Waitress how he really felt about her, but Dayman Cometh was like 6-7 years ago, and she wasn't literally a homeless alcoholic at that point yet, but it still felt a little too easy. It's really sweet that they at least confirm that Charlie isn't a bad lay.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 10, 2017

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

He has a background in academic psych from an Ivy League, not this "lasalle".

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Not sure if this was posted already and I'm sure a lot of you here read this site anyway but Alan Sepinwall talked to Glenn Howerton after the finale and asked him about Dennis' future among other things.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Bust Rodd posted:

I could see Dennis moving out to North Dakota and becoming a vet (He canonically did go to Penn and their Veterinary School is one of the absolute best in the world) and pretending like everything is OK until his wife finds a freezer hidden in the basement that is covered in padlocks.

It's North Dakota, he wouldn't even have to hide that poo poo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Charlie piping up with his plan to get the waitress pregnant, and Dennis' throwaway,"Okay he's onto something else right now..." absolutely cracked me up. I love it whenever the gang realizes one of them is off in their own little world and doesn't even bother trying to drag them back in with the others.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I largely enjoyed the season and I'm actually pretty cool with the idea of the Always Sunny gang going off and doing their own stuff after 12 years and just coming back to do a 13th and 14th season whenever they feel like it. When you've been on this long that sort of "lets see how it plays out" schedule is probably more likely to produce funny and interesting content rather than being expected to pull out the same number of episodes about the same characters year after year.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Zzulu posted:

Frank dies in vietnam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJztRnDxdM8

A better goon than I should edit Danny DeVito into that.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

STAC Goat posted:

I largely enjoyed the season and I'm actually pretty cool with the idea of the Always Sunny gang going off and doing their own stuff after 12 years and just coming back to do a 13th and 14th season whenever they feel like it. When you've been on this long that sort of "lets see how it plays out" schedule is probably more likely to produce funny and interesting content rather than being expected to pull out the same number of episodes about the same characters year after year.

It works for Larry David.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Actually if they let the Gang skip a couple of years that would give us an opportunity to see how the finale plots play out with Dennis and Charlie on a longer scale without it feeling forced.

I wouldn't mind waiting like three years to see Charlie have to deal with a toddler. :allears:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm going to have to find a new regular show if that happens. Any ideas?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

If you haven't checked out The Mick yet, it's definitely finding its groove and Mickey's character has begun to feel different enough from Dee that it isn't just Sunny Lite.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'll check it out, keep forgetting about it tbh. The only tv I've really watched recently is IASIP, BB (so not in a while), and Game of Thrones. I've been going through doing catchup on some stuff I've missed.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Dennis shows up in the Mick for a season of wacky crossover hijinks.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Cheers for the Mick recs over the last few weeks, watched a few episodes and its great. 'Annoying orange! Annoying orange!'

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

I like Brooklyn Nine-Nine. It's the exact opposite of Sunny in tone (the cast isn't utter assholes, for example), but it's still getting some good comedy. Dunno if you'd love it, but it's an idea.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Bojack Horseman, on account of the protagonist being a narcissistic has been and a terrible person.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Bob's Burgers is good. Pretty different though, and infuriating to try and decipher the scheduling for new episodes.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I love the sheer panic from Frank and Charlie regarding the lack of eggs at Dee's apartment.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I think dennis was planning on leaving anyways so people wouldn't hunt him down when they found out he killed Maureen

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

STAC Goat posted:

pretty cool with the idea of the Always Sunny gang going off and doing their own stuff after 12 years

I am loving The Mick so it does make me hopeful.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Schitt's Creek isn't too bad, kind of similar in that the main cast is lovely people, but not nearly as bad as Sunny folks though. They are mainly just out of their element, 1%'ers in a small rural town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Three Olives posted:

Wow, finally got around to watching this and it almost felt like a series finale.

Mac's gay, Charlie gets the waitress, Dennis finally takes responsibility for once in his life and shows some genuine emotion and the Land Rover which has been a constant in the series is destroyed.

Dee is still hosed up but she was always the one that seemed to have her lovely life together and Frank, Frank seems perfectly content living in squalor and banging hookers, there never was going to be growth with him.

I'm fine with just ending things right here, especially if Glenn leaves. Maybe a one hour special series finale, just a few years into the future, Dennis is happy in Nebraska raising the child, Mac finds a husband that looks exactly like Dennis, Frank bought Charlie and the Waitress that house in the suburbs where they raise their kid and still lives at the old apartment banging hookers and with Dennis gone the area around Patty's Pub has gentrified and Patty's Pub is actually a profitable enterprise managed by Dee.

This is my favorite content-heavy post post-season finale. I also agree that this could have been a series finale. I don't want the series to end, but if budget got cut/contracts not upheld and this was the end I would feel good about the ending.

I love that they aren't afraid of killing their darlings and that they wrapped up (in a way) the Charlie/Waitress thing. I also really like that the characters have become so self-aware of "things" over the years. Like Dennis is trying to do his thing and notices "Okay, Charlie's on a different thing now" and Dee says, "It doesn't matter what I think because you're going to ignore it anyways." Like they've (very artfully) reduced the characters to their "things" and "plots" in such a self-aware way that really just moves the story along. Like, they totally gently caress up normal people's lives as a "thing" and so spend very little time appealing to normal people. Dee taking stripper dude to a veteran's support meeting really just set the mood and the group didn't even feel like interacting with the actual PTSD-having vets. In the mediation episode they blow through like three mediators before settling on one person. Their level of self-absorption is amazing and they freely embrace it (both in-character and through the 4th wall). This season has been great.

My only regret is not having Waiter show up at the restaurant scene this week.