Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So if I like Platinum games and I like RPG's, but I find JPRG's really tedious and uninteresting no matter how hard I try to like them, how safe of a buy is Nier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

veni veni veni posted:

So if I like Platinum games and I like RPG's, but I find JPRG's really tedious and uninteresting no matter how hard I try to like them, how safe of a buy is Nier?

Have you got a backlog?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sort of

Finsihing Horizon but I'll probably 100% it before the end of the weekend
Last 1/3rd of Nioh
Dark Souls 3 DLC at the end of the month

Other than that it's all low priority stuff.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Retro42 posted:

Anyone have a solid opinion on Lego Worlds? Looking for a good game to play with the kids on my PS4 and it "seems" like a good fit. Does it suck or is it worth the 30$.

I'm a little concerned based on...

Feenix posted:

Initial Trip Report on Lego Worlds. Game has potential but slows down like a motherfucker even panning the screen on the first tiny island world you land on 5 seconds into the game. The second world (also small) gets stuttery when you pan past some trees. So I deleted the trees with the landscaper tool and now it pans smoothly. Without a future patch, this bodes VERY poorly for any kind of creativity.

Feenix posted:

https://twitter.com/feenix7/status/839168730428932096

Not sure if you can see well enough on a little Twitter Vid. First World, first 5 seconds. Tiny Island. Stutters BAD when you pan past the ship.
Second World, same issue. These are SMALL islands with hardly any structure. Big stuff and making poo poo is gonna loving DESTROY the framerate.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

there's a demo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I played it. It left me on the fence.

E: or I should say it put me on the fence because I was more excited for it before the demo but I didn't hate the demo either. It left me feeling pretty luke warm.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 10, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The demo makes it seem like a linear action game so I think it's misleading and was a mistake, which is how I feel about most demos.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Don't buy games you aren't sure if you want to play imo

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

veni veni veni posted:

I'm not an expert on Platinum but what I've played of them has been quite good. (Bayonetta, Anarchy Reigns, God Hand counts right?)

There's a very strange aura to the original Nier that made it my favorite JRPG of last gen. I've only put 3 hours into Automata though, wanted to 100% Horizon first.

I can't really give you concrete points on if you should get it. Im playing it for the story and not the best judge of it since I don't view its gameplay as a deal breaker. Nier was not a good game, but its mood and story excelled.

Going from previous experience, Nier Automata story might be a lil JRPG at points, but it will also be hosed up and unexpected.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

E: or I should say it put me on the fence because I was more excited for it before the demo but I didn't hate the demo either. It left me feeling pretty luke warm.

you answered your own question, don't spend $60 on something you're indifferent about

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

rabidsquid posted:

yoko taro, the man who proclaimed "i love to look at asses, so what?" definitely would never have any sexual tropes in his games

Yeah, but :same:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

veni veni veni posted:

Rent it and if you don't like it, then you don't have to spend crazy money on it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ausfriends: Are Target and Big W not stocking Nier? Is $89 at JB seriously the cheapest price?

:australia:

Best you'll manage is Ozgameshop's price of $72AU (That's with the $5 shipping included). On the plus side, it's the Day One edition.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Best you'll manage is Ozgameshop's price of $72AU (That's with the $5 shipping included). On the plus side, it's the Day One edition.

Guh. It's like I'm getting owned by Yoko Taro before even purchasing the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Embrace it

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Picked up Hitman in the sale and while it seems like a return to form and a very well supported game (lots of patches!), why can't I load saves while playing on-line when I'm offline?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Something's really wonky with my dashboard and capturing. It lags like hell and often doesn't capture video and photos. I didn't even get my Platinum screenshot for Horizon. :smith:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MZ posted:

Picked up Hitman in the sale and while it seems like a return to form and a very well supported game (lots of patches!), why can't I load saves while playing on-line when I'm offline?

Yeah it's a pretty hosed up system, the game basically has two modes, on and offline. The saves aren't compatible across modes

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

lets hang out posted:

I was lukewarm on the Nier Automata demo but I'm liking the full game

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

lets hang out posted:

I have the opposite philosophy, buy everything you have any interest in and sell the duds while there is still demand. A lot of games are surprises, more often positive than negative.

Of course I would just rent if my side of the country still had such services.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

shut up blegum posted:

Quoting myself here, is there a way to uninstall a specific episode of Hitman? I think the Paris episode is broken, but I don't want to uninstall and re-download everything.

I figured out how to solve this. I went in the ps store, looked in my library and was able to re-download the episode that was broken. So now everything works :yayclod:

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Just buy anything that both takes your fancy and is well liked by the general populace. There are people out there who preordered Ghost Recon for god sake!

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

How nice of Sony to give us a pro boost but also gently caress up the pause/resume function in the same update.

For me at least, pausing downloads resets the progress and l have to redo them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Are you sure the total remaining isn't going down each time you resume, because that's how it's worked for me for the last while.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Yes, I tried several times to make sure and it started from scratch.

Also it was slow and didn't want to change servers.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Gravy Jones posted:

I'm a little concerned based on...

Sounds like it falls in the "wait until it gets patched or goes on sale" category. I'll find the kids something else fun then.

pinkacidbootson
Apr 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I've got the urge to play an epic open-world game. Would like some suggestions.

Horizon looks good but my budget won't stretch to new releases, and I know that I would get easily bored with anything from Ubisoft. I already tried The Witcher but could not get into it. I have played through GTA twice.

Basically, what are my options apart from Skyrim?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sleeping Dogs

I'm certain it's on sale like 75% of the year too.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I second Sleeping Dogs. It's a great game with an enjoyable bunch of characters. You can tell the budget is stretched a bit thin, but it's very easy to overlook that.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
you should try the witcher again especially if you already own it???

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

pinkacidbootson posted:

Horizon looks good but my budget won't stretch to new releases, and I know that I would get easily bored with anything from Ubisoft. I already tried The Witcher but could not get into it. I have played through GTA twice.

Fallout 4, Dying Light, and Assassin's Creed 4 are my suggestions.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Drakengard 3 is the worst game I've played that I also really loved. I can't justify how much I enjoyed it but I still did. Outside of the framerate, very little about it was outright terrible, most things in it were at least good enough and I just enjoyed it's world in story despite it not being as good as Nier's or as hosed up as the original Drakengard. It also has an insanely great soundtrack that is only bad subpar when compared to Nier.

Really, I even look fondly back on some of the bullshit. I remember that I was playing through the game with a friend watching and we got right up to the last part of the last path at like 2 in the morning. We debated whether we should just go on and beat it or call it a night and we decided to call it a night. We decided to call it a night. This was a good decision because the final sequence took me three loving hours to beat and from what I've read online, I did it pretty quickly. Somehow I'm not bitter about it though and kind of like that sequence with all of it's horrendous bullshit. The song being good probably helped.

Overall it's a game I can't recommend to anybody but god drat ti I loved it enough to buy and beat all the dlc and completely plat the game. I guess in the end I just can't hate a game that has stuff like this in it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLaYg0L7_U8

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Hey,its me. I preordered Drakengard and got allll the DLC. I would hatefuck that game, I love that.

I also did the Final Song in 4 tries :smug:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Hey,its me. I preordered Drakengard and got allll the DLC. I would hatefuck that game, I love that.

I also did the Final Song in 4 tries :smug:

How? The final song took me forever. gently caress that last note.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I played a lot of Rythm Games back then,and I expected that loving note.

Also,I had no input lag.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Retro42 posted:

Sounds like it falls in the "wait until it gets patched or goes on sale" category. I'll find the kids something else fun then.

Tearaway, on plus this month, is great if you haven't grabbed it all ready. One of my kid's favourite games and one of, if not the, first he played start to finish by himself without needing any assistance.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sefal posted:

How? The final song took me forever. gently caress that last note.

I am so glad I never missed the last note. There's one bit of odd timing in the next to last section that took me forever to get down but once I got that I was home free.

My only guess into how is that they had already mastered the even more bullshit (though far shorter) version of that scene from the original

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

pinkacidbootson posted:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

glam rock hamhock posted:

I am so glad I never missed the last note. There's one bit of odd timing in the next to last section that took me forever to get down but once I got that I was home free.

My only guess into how is that they had already mastered the even more bullshit (though far shorter) version of that scene from the original
I was so glad when i finally got it done. For all the problems drakengard 3 has, the final route was done pretty well. I haven't played through the dlc yet because I kept waiting and waiting and waiting for square to discount it. I caved in and bought them last year. Haven't hooked my ps3 up for a while now. But when I do that. I''ll go through the DLC. Heard it's pretty intresting.

Something else: God, I love your avatar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you really want to experience Drakengard 3, just watch The Dark Id's screenshot Let's Play of it.