Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Siochain posted:

gently caress if a) you weren't 3000+ km West and b) I had any vacation days left to burn, I'd invade from Onterrible bringing salt and liberalness ;)

You gotta get up pretty early in the morning to out-lefty this lefty, and I have an actual job unlike everyone in Ontario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

jonathan posted:

Consider Brisket then. Usually Canadian prices are around $50 for a 12-14lb slab of meat. You will need to get internal temperature up to around 203f. Also the rub can be a simple salt/pepper/garlic/canola oil.

If it's just an open air rotisserie over a pit, it might be tough to get enough even heat to work with brisket, but I think the results would make great photo ops if you can pull it off. Maybe check the slow smoking meat thread.

As an owner of two Weber Smokey mountains, I am familiar with the Good Word of smoked meats, I used to contribute to that thread but I haven't had a small party in which to use them in ages it seems.

I've moved on to a custom built rotisserie meant to feed 150+. So I'm going to need, like, an entire leg or something.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You gotta get up pretty early in the morning to out-lefty this lefty, and I have an actual job unlike everyone in Ontario.

Pardon me, I'm a paid protester against the oil industry.
Also JT and KW do my hair in the morning.
Now pardon me while I go chug some gas and roal coal while bitching about environmental hooligans from Alberta.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Slung Blade posted:

We're doing another giant meat rotisserie during the Canada day long weekend this year.

Awww Yeah :getin:

Also on a side note: its almost time to start another round of really dumb decisions.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

drat man. I really, really want to do this. That's plumb in the middle of our yearly relative invasion but maaaayyybbbeee

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

1500quidporsche posted:

Awww Yeah :getin:

Also on a side note: its almost time to start another round of really dumb decisions.

Installing that on the van? You'd be welcome to use the 4 post lift for that if you like.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Slung Blade posted:

Installing that on the van? You'd be welcome to use the 4 post lift for that if you like.

It's for a Corolla :ssh:

The logistics of this whole operation means I'm probably going to end up slapping it on at my parent's garage though.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I just passed a guy driving his NSX. After we got six inches of snow last night. :psyduck:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Was it silver? My neighbor dailies hers year round.

I took the 8 out today for some slides. I have to say, the St Albert RCMP is surprisingly chill with "accidental" full intersection power slides.

Edit:

Accurate representation of angle and distance (Sure as hell not speed, style or skill though).

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 5, 2017

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

To the bloke in the parking garage who DD's his FF in Winter, I salute you.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Hey Slidebite, why does Lethbridge get all the good stuff?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/lethbridge/datsun-280zx/1244397913?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Because busted stuff can still roll down hill.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Oh my god, gently caress off

I hate not having enough garage space

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, Alberta in general has higher elevations in the south than the north, so technically the garbage rolling downhill would be heading towards Edmonton. :colbert:

That said, it's a wreck and not worth even that unless you wanted the powertrain for something.

The rust in the photo would literally be the only thing that would be holding it together.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Well, Alberta in general has higher elevations in the south than the north, so technically the garbage rolling downhill would be heading towards Edmonton. :colbert:

I think the vast majority of my cars have been from Edmonton.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

How is the body somehow in worse shape than my scirocco? That's pretty amazing.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

That Z would be the perfect candidate for the TM2TWRALLY 2017 if we ran the FTR I'm its entirety.

One final glorious ride to Valhalla on the Fury (Forestry) Road.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

That Z would be the perfect candidate for the TM2TWRALLY 2017 if we ran the FTR I'm its entirety.

One final glorious ride to Valhalla on the Fury (Forestry) Road.

Much like the final episode of BSG.

The old girl broke her back Bill, she'll never jump again :smith:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man the FTR would be the perfect route for the Project.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Welp, block heater works.

plugged it in around noon because i had to head out at 9, and short trips got my batteries feeling weak. it's -21*c out, the whole engine is 18*c.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

:siren: powershift please report in, are you alive still? :siren:

Also, who's going to the swap meet in red deer?
http://westernerpark.ca/events/409-quick-times-spring-swap

One day only, March 25. Switch and I will be there, anyone want to join us?

If you're coming from the Calgary area you're welcome to car pool with us too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm sorta alive. Not entirely, but not entirely dead.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

I'm sorta alive. Not entirely, but not entirely dead.

Glad you're not dead dude.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Did i miss something? did i screw up the jumble caper?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

Did i miss something? did i screw up the jumble caper?

No, I just texted you and didn't get a reply, just wanted to make sure you were good.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The phone was cut off a few months ago. i never bothered replacing it, because life's a little easier without it.

I haven't had to talk to my sister since christmas, it's fantastic.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

One of you YYC peeps better be calling this dude asap
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2004-mazda-rx-8-coupe-2-door-1000-yours-today/1245833365?siteLocale=en_CA

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

If one were to be interested in this automobile, what should we be looking out for?

Also I bet it's a smoker's car.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

If one were to be interested in this automobile, what should we be looking out for?

rotating pistons instead of reciprocating ones, guaranteed sign of a loss of compression.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Poor man's budget compression test: pull the lower spark plug from the front: listen/look for very loud even compression pulses out of the plug hole. Do this for the rear housing as well. Spark plugs should also not have any significant residue / build up on them.

Easiest way to get access to spark plugs: pull the driver's wheel off. Realistically easiest way: remove the air box. Top cover is 4 clips. Whole thing lifts right out. This then gives you access to the spark plugs via the engine on the right. Also let's you disconnect the crank angle sensor which disables the ignition and fuel.

Super fast way: will it crank and start as easy in the cold as it does with the engine as full operating temp? It's probably fine.

I will bet you the entire price of the car that all the ignition coils are dead and the catalytic converter is dying about to die though.

Edit: if anyone is legit serious, PM me for my phone number and I'll walk you through everything

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 12, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Slung Blade posted:

Just Do It TM

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

You gotta buy that so we can make the annual ABAI $1,000 rotary gamble a thing.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I want to but there are so many cars here already :smith:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

At least if we have old Japanese cars lying around, that's classier than the old domestics your neighbours have lying around right?

(shuffles in front of Town Car)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Slung Blade posted:

Hey, out of all of us here you

a - actually have room

and

b- A politician. Like Jim Prentice. He collected cars.

Do it for Jim.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Jim was a dick. RIP

E: you know what, that's totally not fair.

Let's just say I don't want to emulate him in the slightest.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 13, 2017

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

At least if we have old Japanese cars lying around, that's classier than the old domestics your neighbours have lying around right?

(shuffles in front of Town Car)

Do Canadians consider American (US) cars domestic?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Raluek posted:

Yes because all the ones that aren't made in Mexico are made in Windsor.

Or at least a percentage of their constituent parts are.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Slung Blade posted:

Yes because all the ones that aren't made in Mexico are made in Windsor.

Or at least a percentage of their constituent parts are.

Are Japanese cars that are built in America considered domestics, then? I have never thought about them that way. Then again, all my cars were made in California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Raluek posted:

If it's made by the Big Three it's considered a domestic.*

*Most people don't where their car is actually made.

^^^
The vast majority of people would call a Japanese-brand car a foreign car, even if it was made in the US.