Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I can honestly say my dock put a quarter inch scratch in my screen. It's not on the screen itself, but on the edge. It is not noticeable, espcially now that my screen protector is on. I looked at my dock and sure enough my dock face is leaning inwards slightly.

I had my partner put the AMFilm on last night. Works great. Once it was on I tested the docking a few times. My hypothesis is this:

Yes, the dock leaning inward is what caused it. But, if you are gentle and just let your Switch do its thing the scratching will not occur. Looking back I was gently pressing on the top of the Switch to make sure it was securely hitting the connection.

This is totally unnecessary. The Switch will make the connection, there is no need to press down.

Beastie fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Infinitum posted:

Lick it in your spare time

I will not be licking my cartridge but I'm very happy that there is a deterrent because I have a one year old that just figured out how to open game cases.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Katana Gomai posted:

And I refuse to believe that Nintendo hasn't done exactly that and came to the conclusion that the material used is fine

The same Nintendo that released multiple editions of the 3DS that had its top screen scratched by the bezel around the bottom screen because they didn't just make the rubber bumpers a little bit thicker? And no, I didn't put them in my pockets. Edit: Hell, it's a portable, it should be able to survive in pockets.

GI_Clutch fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 10, 2017

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My dock is not bent and I also see little rubber bumpers at the bottom/front portion of the rail. Still getting a screen protector though.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I don't smash my $300 console into the dock, problem solved :shrug:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I screen protect Gorilla glass 5 devices, I don't know why I wouldn't screen protect this. My last phone game with a screen protector installed. Which lasted a good 3 months until something hosed it up and not my screen. I guess I just don't understand how the first thing everybody did with their switch was not to put a protector on it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Bombadilillo posted:

I screen protect Gorilla glass 5 devices, I don't know why I wouldn't screen protect this. My last phone game with a screen protector installed. Which lasted a good 3 months until something hosed it up and not my screen. I guess I just don't understand how the first thing everybody did with their switch was not to put a protector on it.

This. I put Zagg invisibleshield knockoff screen protectors on every new phone I buy. They work great and they stay on, so why not do it?

Still floored it's a plastic screen.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
And ANOTHER thing Nintendo! There's this weird orange dust all over my Sw-

Nevermind.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I ordered my screen protector a week before Switch came out and I got it yesterday. I only docked it "unprotected" on the first day. When I noticed the scratch I started charging it with the cord. Then I started docking it with a piece of paper in front of the screen.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Because the last time I put a screen protector on my Wii U I ended up living with bubbles over my screen for four years.

Are there any protectors that are actually worth a drat?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Because the last time I put a screen protector on my Wii U I ended up living with bubbles over my screen for four years.

Screen protectors have always and forever been hot garbage on resistive touchscreens. Probably because resistive screens actually have some give to them so there's more opportunity for the screen protector to peel away from the surface of the screen. A good screen protector on a capacitive touch screen is about a billion times better if its done right.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Yorkshire Tea posted:

If you're using a cheap one, turn on the shower and steam up the bathroom of your nerd hovel. That'll get the dust out of the air and if the screen you're applying to is clean you shouldn't have bubbles. Alternatively, spend a little more on a screen protector that comes with a little spray bottle for wet application. Those tend to have the best results.

Edit: Forgot the WiiU went with a lol-tastic resistive touchscreen like some loving parking garage payment kiosk. Jesus Christ Nintendo. The above advice is for touchscreens used in devices during Bush's second term or later.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Bombadilillo posted:

I guess I just don't understand how the first thing everybody did with their switch was not to put a protector on it.

I've owned well over a dozen handhelds plus half a dozen phones and never broke/scratched a screen. I simply don't see why I should spend money on a protector, esp. if they're a pain in the rear end the apply. There are definitely good reasons for getting one (small children in the house, etc) but they don't apply to me.

And while the Switch is anything but cheap, I have a hard time getting attached to a 330€ device. That's a third of my monthly rent; if it shows some wear after a couple of years, so be it. I rather have that than

Yorkshire Tea posted:

ended up living with bubbles over my screen for four years

because that will annoy me every single time I look at it. One of the phones I bought had a screen protector pre-applied (Huawei) and I left it on for about half a year but that was only because it was perfectly applied by the manufacturer, not clumsily stuck to the screen by me in a misty bathroom.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm surprised that Nintendo didn't add a small layer of foam or something in the front of the dock, because it's not hard to realize that plastic on plastic scratches. Especially when it's a high-gloss plastic.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm surprised that Nintendo didn't add a small layer of foam or something in the front of the dock, because it's not hard to realize that plastic on plastic scratches. Especially when it's a high-gloss plastic.

Are you really surprised?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TheScott2K posted:

Are you really surprised?

Yeah, but then I think back about the original 3DS scratching it's own screen and lol.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you have a bent inwards dock definitely tell Nintendo about it. Reggie did an interview with Time where they asked him about that and the reported joycon issues, and he said basically he wants people with those issues to please contact Nintendo support so they can get more information and get to the bottom of it.

If it's a manufacturing issue, the more people that contact them the easier it will be to root out. Give them your serial number and they will be able to look up the manifest and see the exact line, time, and sequence number of the dock manufactured. The more of that they get the more they can figure out why some people's docks are doing that, or if it's a shipping issue.

I don't know how complex their data setup is, I work in auto manufacturing. I can take any vehicle in the last ten years and look up the exact torque value for each individual nut on a tire and look up weld duration for every weld point.

Usually when there's an issue we can track it down to a specific process cause and put in a countermeasure.

http://time.com/4696866/nintendo-switch-joy-con-issues/

quote:

Specifically on Joy-Con syncing, all I can tell you is that we are aware of and have seen some of the reports. We're asking consumers a lot of questions. That's why we want to get consumers on our help line, so we can get as much information to understand the situation as possible. And so we are in a fact-finding mode, to really understand the situation and the scenarios. And with that information, we'll look and see what the next steps are.

On reports of the Switch dock scratching the tablet screen

Fils-Aimé: Again, this is why we're encouraging consumers to reach out to us directly. We have done, as you know, literally hundreds of events, starting with our activity back in January, and most recently the various tours that we continue to take the system out on. As soon as I heard of this report, I asked my teams, "Have we seen this in our own experience?" And the candid answer has been no.

So throughout all of those experiences, throughout all the docking and undocking we've done, we haven't seen it. So this is one where if it is happening, we want to understand more as to what the specific situation is. Which is why we want consumers to let us know through our support site.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 10, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Yeah, the not cheapest ones on amazon. Hori are usually the go to with the notable exception of the expensive switch one which got complaints, I got the cheaper one for $10 and its great on my switch with no bubbles, easy to line up design.

Generally I like armorsuit for phones because the wet install works really well for lining everything up and not getting dust. Looks like they are coming out with one for the switch for $8 in a few days. With overheating issues on other protectors you might want to wait for reviews. But wet install is loving awesome.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah seriously I have every iteration and size of the 3DS. Every single one of them, except for the o3ds XL, has the issue where the bottom screen puts these tiny dots on the top screen. You simply might not notice it if you haven't seen it. The worst offender is the n3ds, non XL version. A whole fuckin line of tiny dots going up both sides of the top screen where the bezel is on the bottom! It's like they realized the issue with the o3ds, fixed it with the XL, then brought it back with the n3ds and n3ds XL :psyduck:

As for the Wii U using a resistive touch screen, I'm not sure why anyone cared. They were not going to make games on it that required pinch to zoom or anything. I actually read somewhere that it might have cost Nintendo the same or MORE to use resistive because they were barely manufactured at that point. I seem to recall Nintendo's official statement was they used resistive because it was way better for drawing.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

parallelodad posted:

If you have a bent inwards dock definitely tell Nintendo about it. Reggie did an interview with Time where they asked him about that and the reported joycon issues, and he said basically he wants people with those issues to please contact Nintendo support so they can get more information and get to the bottom of it.

If it's a manufacturing issue, the more people that contact them the easier it will be to root out. Give them your serial number and they will be able to look up the manifest and see the exact line, time, and sequence number of the dock manufactured. The more of that they get the more they can figure out why some people's docks are doing that, or if it's a shipping issue.

I don't know how complex their data setup is, I work in auto manufacturing. I can take any vehicle in the last ten years and look up the exact torque value for each individual nut on a tire and look up weld duration for every weld point.

Usually when there's an issue we can track it down to a specific process cause and put in a countermeasure.

I actually took my dock apart and loosened all the screws that aren't visible from the outside. This way the front wiggles a bit and is way less likely to scratch. I'm sure I voided the warranty now though when Nintendo offers a replacement.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Switch on steering wheel + pro controller in traffic is sublime.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I put my switch into the dock using a pneumatic drill and it's perfectly fine

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Switch on steering wheel + pro controller in traffic is sublime.

I really hope I'm just misreading this and you aren't Driving Under the Switchfluence.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Weeping Wound posted:

no netplay is enough to steer me away from KOF on the thing, yikes :chloe:

Hey uhhh Neo Geo didn't have online multiplayer capabilities if you can believe it

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is there a best (or really good if "best" is super pricey) memory card I should be getting for the Switch?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I don't care if my screen gets scratched. Keeping the exterior of my devices looking pristine doesn't matter because I'm not reselling them.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Personally I want my Switch ruined and scratched because it shows I play it a lot and that I ain't afraid to work hard at this

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Jimmy Hats posted:

I put my switch into the dock using a pneumatic drill and it's perfectly fine

Is it the Hori pneumatic drill?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Chernabog posted:

Is it the Hori pneumatic drill?

No it's this guy right here

Pictured: Me and the boys setting up for some Super Bomberman R

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
If I could get imgur at work I would badly copy/paste a switch dock into the photo but alas

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Konami just announced on the website for Bomberman R that they're working on fixing the online lag and input delay in the game so if you've been waiting out for the game to be fixed then hey there's some progress.

Wealthy Aristocrat
Dec 12, 2016
Where is the Pokemon Stadium game I keep hearing about coming to the Switch? *starting a rumor haha

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
play blaster master, yall

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

guys i accidentally beat the left joycon into the right half of the joycon grip (they aren't labeled how was i supposed to know) and now the rail is kind of weird and wobbly, this is unacceptable

I like my Switch but I barely used mine and have never used the wrist straps and my left joycon already is very wobbly. It's a real problem. Not a serious one unless it gets worse over time, but it's definitely not just people being too rough.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
My pro controller arrived, god drat this is the nicest controller I've ever held. It's absolutely beautiful I love it. If only I had a switch. Scalpers are sitting around with tens of them in their basements. Sweat it, jerks.

I watched a video where they do that thing where they ruin a switch by scratching the hell out of it. They put the tape with the numbers 1-10 on it, and it scratched immediately badly at level 2. I've never put a screen protector on anything because I handle my electronics carefully. But drat, I've never seen a screen on anything scratch that badly that quickly. It looks like they literally scratched it with plastic.

I'm still not putting a screen protector on it, but sheesh.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Katana Gomai posted:

I mean it seems like the easiest thing to prove for a DIY website or something, just put it in and out of the dock for half a day and post the results

And I refuse to believe that Nintendo hasn't done exactly that and came to the conclusion that the material used is fine

a guy on reddit/neogaf or whatever actually did this and even went to town on it with his loving keys and his unit was scratch free. seems to be a few have a weird slightly bent in docks that might be giving scratches when they drill their units in or sliding poo poo in left to right/right to left with a baseball bat. i dunno, mine seems fine, there's a gap between the dock and the screen.

i think a few units got hosed up during manufacturing so you have batches with poo poo joycons and bent in docks, not many, but people are losing their goddamn minds over it so it seems like its widespread when it isnt.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

They use a thick, cheap plastic that is inexpensive to manufacture and won't crack when your 4-year-old nephew drops it. I don't really see the problem unless you're carrying it around in a bag with your keys.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So is Nintendo offering replacement plastic screens for people whose screens get scratched?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

So is Nintendo offering replacement plastic screens for people whose screens get scratched?

Yeah but it's $299.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

GreatGreen posted:

probably, despite what the internet hive mind says they actually have pretty great customer service. they'll replace wii discs you snapped in half yourself.

• Locked thread