Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Eopia posted:

I'm on Route B now and I'm really not enjoying 9S' gameplay, I'm finding myself wishing that I could go back to playing as 2B because not having anything other than a light attack combo and the best thing to do being to either hack enemies or spam spear throws is just kind of boring to me.

Have you tried using other weapons and getting fancy with switching weapon sets mid combo? The game isn't particularly difficult if you're playing on normal to the point that I didn't even know how overpowered spears are and instead just kind of used whatever weapon I felt like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

verbal enema posted:

Why does the OST come out April 7th I want it now YouTube's quality isn't baaad but it's not what I want

I don't know if this helps, but if you setup Remote Play you can stream the music in the game from the jukebox in the Resistance Camp to your computer. Make sure Emil isn't in a pattern where he's driving past the camp or else you'll hear his jingle, and 2B and 9S can make noise unless they're sitting.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I don't have a comp rn and I was looking at the 1 disc??? Amazon thingie

I just want the OST in a good box but I assume I'm not getting that unless I hustle the cheddar for some Japanese limited import

E: what I was looking at Amazon was an import but it was one disc and the YouTube full is like 6 hours like I want ALL OF THE MUSIC in its longest loops

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

verbal enema posted:

I don't have a comp rn and I was looking at the 1 disc??? Amazon thingie

I just want the OST in a good box but I assume I'm not getting that unless I hustle the cheddar for some Japanese limited import

E: what I was looking at Amazon was an import but it was one disc and the YouTube full is like 6 hours like I want ALL OF THE MUSIC in its longest loops

Remote Play also exists as apps on iPhone and Android, but I don't know how well it works. I get you though, it's annoying that the OST wasn't released concurrently with the release and even this Remote Play workaround isn't the greatest.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I self destructed and now my skirt is gone

Its

Pretty good

E: the butt is very real

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

So I'm taking the thread slow (only on page 30 now) due to spoilers, but I just wanted you guys to know boat drifting is a thing. I even went through taking video for y'all, and it didn't save. Next up is seeing if I can drift a moose.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Soysaucebeast posted:

So I'm taking the thread slow (only on page 30 now) due to spoilers, but I just wanted you guys to know boat drifting is a thing. I even went through taking video for y'all, and it didn't save. Next up is seeing if I can drift a moose.

I really don't know if this is Nier or BotW

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Does anyone know Where the Nuclear Arms Manual is? The wiki says it's in a building accessible by the vine used in Speed Star's first quest, but I've gone through every inch of the building and found nothing. There is an opened chest, but I checked my archives and it's not there, and while I don't remember exactly, I'm pretty sure that chest didn't have anything important in it. My item scan chip isn't showing anything either. I'm looking right after the Goliath assault.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Just a warning yall be careful about spoilers, many of you are accidentally not marking things which probably are *actually* pretty significant spoilers.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Eopia posted:

I'm on Route B now and I'm really not enjoying 9S' gameplay, I'm finding myself wishing that I could go back to playing as 2B because not having anything other than a light attack combo and the best thing to do being to either hack enemies or spam spear throws is just kind of boring to me.

You can do heavy attacks with square after a backdash. I read after I beat the game that you can just hold r2 to do heavy attacks as much as you want but I havent had a chance to try that so maybe it's not true.

Failing that if you don't want to throw spears upgrade ancient overlord all the way and murder everything with crits that do thousands of damage.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i just started route b and what

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
So, uh the very first quest? Fetching the robot parts for the merchant. Are they supposed to be random drops from enemies that dont respawn? Because I need 1 of each to progress and so far I have 3 of one, 2 of another and none of the last and I cleared out the entire area and have been running around like a tit for the past hour looking for any possible way to progress. What the gently caress is going on?

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

TERRIBLE SHITLORD posted:

So, uh the very first quest? Fetching the robot parts for the merchant. Are they supposed to be random drops from enemies that dont respawn? Because I need 1 of each to progress and so far I have 3 of one, 2 of another and none of the last and I cleared out the entire area and have been running around like a tit for the past hour looking for any possible way to progress. What the gently caress is going on?

They are random drops but enemies respawn every time you load the area. Transport to the Bunker and back I guess

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Yeah,sometimes the RNG can be rough. I'm trying to grind for stuff to upgrade my weapons with,but they drop nothing 90% of the time,at least for me. And I still can't find a single unit of pyrite.:sigh:

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 10, 2017

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Alternatively, just wander around. The enemies that drop them are fairly common and there's a bunch just outside the Resistance Camp.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
This game is really good. I love the little things; the way 2B slows when you run through a bush, the fishing stool, sliding down ladders, the occasional vault over a rock. Music is pretty good too and I just finished up two quests in the first area you visit.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Am I supposed to finish the Photographs quest in a later playthrough? When I tried to get to the quest marker in the desert I was blocked by some super sandstorm

Also do you get something later to help you find weapons? I finished the first playthrough with only 23% found and the scanner you get is way too vague and I don't like having my finger glued to L1, or glued to R1 for the drone gun for that matter

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Lakbay posted:

Am I supposed to finish the Photographs quest in a later playthrough? When I tried to get to the quest marker in the desert I was blocked by some super sandstorm

No, you can always go there, you just have to hug the invisible wall and move to the right

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Lakbay posted:

Also do you get something later to help you find weapons? I finished the first playthrough with only 23% found and the scanner you get is way too vague and I don't like having my finger glued to L1, or glued to R1 for the drone gun for that matter

There's a plug-in for finding items, including locked chests, later. That'll help you find most of what's left. As for the scanner, you can find a weapon in the desert and in the flooded ruins, and I think that's it.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Is there a recommended combat setting for 9S?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Thanks for the tips, my interest in the game was initially lukewarm then slowly increased as I kept playing then spiked up near the end of the first playthrough

Demo was really bad at showing the actual gameplay loop

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Well I took advantage of that deal on GMG, I hope my computer can run this game.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I like this game but I am really having a hard time finding a comfortable control scheme. I didn't like A because I didn't like Fire and Evade on R1 and R2, and B was a little better but was still hard to evade while holding fire and doing light/heavy attacks. I tried doing a custom scheme that mirrors dark souls/bloodborne which is a little better, but still feels a little weird because of how much this game wants you to spam Evade.

Should I just power through and get used to the default schemes or is there a killer scheme you guys use that feels really good?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Got my black box through the post :toot:

It''s covered in that Angel Writing - this just says "Black Box"

And their snazzy logo all these games keep getting:

Inside: (sorry for terrible camera)

It's all neatly stored.

2B Figurine:

More text I haven't translated yet:
YORHA
Number Two Type B

YorHA Logo:

Also the box is covered in a nice filigree sort of thing.

I don't really collect figurines of things, but it seems to be well made, lots of nice details and such.

And yes...they did model robutt. :butt:

Here's the artbook

"Yorha Keikakutsuiki Houkousho" (I guess? Google's best guess is "Investigation Committee")

The contents of the artbook we've seen before really - just nice glossy images of locations, characters and a few weapons. Lots of game flavour text too, quotes and such. And several quotes from Pascal (the person), and Ernest.
The steelcase is nothing special, just contains the game disc, and the soundtrack from the live concert they did the other year.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 10, 2017

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I got my big special edition too, haven't touched anything apart from the game yet though.

I'm tempted to order the World Book from Amazon Japan but I can't figure out if there's much overlap in the artwork between it and the book in that box.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

lmao at how you find the third pod. I'd never have figured that one out on my own, so I'm glad I lucked into it

I was just randomly fishing in the flooded city. nothing was biting, so I gave up and... I caught a pod? alrighty then, cool thanks for the trophy

e: also accidentally got an ending by walking away from 9s to pick up a thing I missed on the way in lol

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 10, 2017

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Armor-Piercing posted:

I got my big special edition too, haven't touched anything apart from the game yet though.

I'm tempted to order the World Book from Amazon Japan but I can't figure out if there's much overlap in the artwork between it and the book in that box.

There's probably going to be some overlap, but If it's anything like how Grimoire Nier was the World book will probably have more indepth content - the artbook is just a few backgrounds, character publicity shots (of their final designs), and a handful of weapons. The World book will probably have enemy designs, concept art, and I think some stories? Assuming of course it's anything like how Grimoire Nier was.

Actually that's the one big difference between my boxset which I got through SE EU, and the Japanese one; no novella. Still it's a nicely presented thing, nonetheless.

[e]: While on the topic of the novella, "NieR RepliCant Recollection" (Japanese calls it the "Project Gestalt Recollection" - it seems to be a retelling of the events of Nier from Devola and Popola's perspective.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 10, 2017

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD posted:

I have yet to have that happen. The first quest displays something like dropzones, right? When everything in the zone was dead and I didn't have enough, I always noticed that I missed picking up an item after a kill. I never had to reload an area.

e:

Manatee Cannon posted:

lmao at how you find the third pod. I'd never have figured that one out on my own, so I'm glad I lucked into it

I was just randomly fishing in the flooded city. nothing was biting, so I gave up and... I caught a pod? alrighty then, cool thanks for the trophy

How the game tells you about them: The maintenance lady in the resistance camp has some topics to discuss. One is about acquiring new pods. She almost literally tells you where to find them.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
So, I'v heard the gameplay changes about a third of the way through and supposedly it's a turnoff for some. Any hints as to what this change is?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Huzanko posted:

So, I'v heard the gameplay changes about a third of the way through and supposedly it's a turnoff for some. Any hints as to what this change is?

Probably referring to playthrough 2 where you control 9S. His heavy attack is replaced with the ability to hack enemies to make them explode/mind control them, and the hacking itself is a small shooter minigame. Though the more important heavy attacks (e.g. the launcher) are moved to a light attack input.

blues thief
Apr 1, 2013

Lord Justice posted:

Does anyone know Where the Nuclear Arms Manual is? The wiki says it's in a building accessible by the vine used in Speed Star's first quest, but I've gone through every inch of the building and found nothing. There is an opened chest, but I checked my archives and it's not there, and while I don't remember exactly, I'm pretty sure that chest didn't have anything important in it. My item scan chip isn't showing anything either. I'm looking right after the Goliath assault.

It sounds like you've probably got the right building (it's the one close to the exit to the forest that has a couple floors you can explore filled with small machines), so it might be a case of WHEN it appears? It definitely shows up in my item scan. I think it was towards the end of my Route A that I was able to grab it, so try varying the chapter select up a bit and see if it pops. It's also possible you might need to chat to Pascal again to have her request you find stuff since it'll probably reset on switching chapters like most quests.

Mindblast posted:

How the game tells you about them: The maintenance lady in the resistance camp has some topics to discuss. One is about acquiring new pods. She almost literally tells you where to find them.

There are some slightly more subtle hints, too. There's two androids chatting about losing one in the sea on the Bunker and I think there's an Operator you can listen in on who's in a call with someone who lost their pod in the desert. Maybe the other way around, I forget.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Finster Dexter posted:

I like this game but I am really having a hard time finding a comfortable control scheme. I didn't like A because I didn't like Fire and Evade on R1 and R2, and B was a little better but was still hard to evade while holding fire and doing light/heavy attacks. I tried doing a custom scheme that mirrors dark souls/bloodborne which is a little better, but still feels a little weird because of how much this game wants you to spam Evade.

Should I just power through and get used to the default schemes or is there a killer scheme you guys use that feels really good?

The control scheme I'm rolling with is:
□ = Light
△ = Heavy
○ = Evade
X = Jump
L1 = Fire
L2 = Program
R1 = Action
R3 = Lock-on

Kind of Bloodborney with some alterations for comfort, plus all the pod functions on one side of the controller. R1 for action is weird but you get used to it

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Rasamune posted:

The control scheme I'm rolling with is:
□ = Light
△ = Heavy
○ = Evade
X = Jump
L1 = Fire
L2 = Program
R1 = Action
R3 = Lock-on

Kind of Bloodborney with some alterations for comfort, plus all the pod functions on one side of the controller. R1 for action is weird but you get used to it

I may try this. What do you have on R2?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Finster Dexter posted:

I may try this. What do you have on R2?

R2 is just Reset Camera, I never use it

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
This seems like a cool game – are there any mods yet that make the outfits a bit less risqué or will that be a possibility in the future? I'm not a prude or anything but it seems like the kinda game that'd be a bit embarrassing to get caught playing by my girlfriend.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Entropy238 posted:

This seems like a cool game – are there any mods yet that make the outfits a bit less risqué or will that be a possibility in the future? I'm not a prude or anything but it seems like the kinda game that'd be a bit embarrassing to get caught playing by my girlfriend.

The PC version isn't out yet and the outfits aren't that risqué, you have to go well out of your way to see 2B's butt

The only nudity you have to see as part of the plot (as far as I've played anyway) is (a) male and (b) decidedly not sexy

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Rasamune posted:

The PC version isn't out yet and the outfits aren't that risqué, you have to go well out of your way to see 2B's butt

The only nudity you have to see as part of the plot (as far as I've played anyway) is (a) male and (b) decidedly not sexy

Eh ... it's still a bit much for me, judging by what I'm seeing from streamers.

Guess I'll wait.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That white thing is a leotard, not panties

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So I beat the third boss last night and did some sidequests and I think I'm trying to be too smart for the game and that Yoko Taro is going to punish me for it. My running theory is that the bunker are the bad alien invaders and the whole humans on the moon thing is a farce. The robots talking and trying to do human things is because after Nier 1 and the shadowlord dying, the remaining survivors/androids had no way to bind the Gestalt to the Replicants anymore, so to try and get any sort of solution figured out, they created the robots to bind the loose gestalt human souls to, and the process worked.... less than adequately. I'm probably way off base, or pretty much in the exact thought process Yoko Taro wants me to be in to gently caress with me. I guess I'll find out this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Entropy238 posted:

Press the stick buttons down