Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Uh, what if the Stormcruft Bisexuals are a demon-style dual kit for AoS *and* the new army for Age of Emprah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

tallkidwithglasses posted:

With any luck, 8th means I'll get to play my warriors of chaos against tyranids. It would be neat if the rules were cross compatible.

My Beastmen are poised to become a chaos cultists horde for a while. Good for my CSM army to meet them half way

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TKIY posted:

From a local guy who gets really, really good rumours somehow:

All hail the Sigmarines Emparines!

The first batches are shipped out to the stores to play with and its met with mixed emotions. some smart consumers reject it, ghost hand embraces it, this leads to further divisions between many threads already on bad terms with the game in its current form. some even threaten to walk out.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
"Let the galaxy burn" - Roboute Gulliman, probably.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

My Empire State Troopers watch Lord Guillimans address, smiling sadly to themselves.

:unsmith:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So which armies do you think go away in 8th? I'd imagine a lot of the tiny imperial codexes get trimmed down.

From my cold, dead, silver hands :colbert:

It's true. It's all true. :negative:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Please don't panic it's not true!

https://twitter.com/GamesWerkshop/status/840245705121943553

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I haven't posted here much since I only have a small Space Marine force that I only really played with my brother, and while I like the heavy walking tank approach - Mk3 armor, Catapractii Terminators, etc - I have to say that the idea of "bigger super Marines" is kinda dumb. They really should have just had a shift in philosophy influencing gameplay, like the reformation of Legions or something. Anything relating to Force Composition and balance adjustments for individual items than this poo poo.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

So which armies do you think go away in 8th? I'd imagine a lot of the tiny imperial codexes get trimmed down.

From what I am hearing on the internet, there is a good chance BA get the boot (or may be getting the warband treatment ala Chaos legions). Not certain about this myself but there are hints that are pointing that direction so I'm giving it a 50/50 chance of being true.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
On the plus side, GW has been trying really hard to get in front of the rumor mill recently so if this is real we should hear something official pretty soon.

Major Spag posted:

From what I am hearing on the internet, there is a good chance BA get the boot (or may be getting the warband treatment ala Chaos legions). Not certain about this myself but there are hints that are pointing that direction so I'm giving it a 50/50 chance of being true.

There is a really good chance we're about to lose our homeworld so that wouldn't completely surprise me.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Any likelihood that the unit rules/warscrolls will be directly copied from AoS? The basics at least - Wounds, Saves, Movement, Bravery and then everything else is in the weapon profile. Warscrolls or the like have to be coming out if these rumours are anywhere near true.

If so, they could easily make the armies cross-playable.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah, it's continually bothered me that Dark Angels/Space Wolves/Blood Angels get whole codexes instead of just chapter tactics and a few specific units. They aren't actually different enough to warrant that much extra publishing (except maybe SW at this point), and it just creates more problems when you update one codex without the others, similar to how Space Marines got better scouts and dreadnoughts all of a sudden and every other codex suddenly needed errata.

I'd be even happy with this.

GW just needs to do a bi-annual errata, where they release optional balance updates instead of relying on stores and tournament organizers to make weak attempts at game balance. People who say the game can never truly be balanced are right but I remember half the reason Starcraft was so good was because blizzard continuously patched it to account for issues as new dominant strategies took hold.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

If the player, during his shooting phase, makes realistic bolter fire noises, the player may shoot twice with all troop units.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Major Spag posted:

I'll stop the shitposting for a minute. Real talk, I'd expect the individual chapter rules to go away, a lot of the agents/talons of the emperor rules to go away, sisters to finally get drowned in the bathtub, and for the imperial factions to essentially get reduced to guardsmen, old marines, then robomarines. Three different sizes of army is a nice spread.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the unpopular xenos armies don't make it- nids and orks are iconic but no one plays them, so they might not make it to the next edition so GW can make room for new factions- a "good guy daemon" army a la seraphon makes sense.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

TKIY posted:

Any likelihood that the unit rules/warscrolls will be directly copied from AoS?

If, in your psychic phase, you raise your fist and shout "For the Emperor!"

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

It'll be quite the opposite. We don't have anything like Tomb Kings, who only had three plastic kits produced in the last 15 years.

There will be plenty of micro-factions, though, similar to Sigmar's Flesh Eater Courts where the whole thing is three units. This is where I see Haemonculus Covens hanging out for a while.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I was honestly excited about an 8th Edition informed by the good changes in Age of Sigmar. There are some good ideas for sure, and offering the rules for free as a Warscroll style thing would be great for accessibility.

This talk of a radical fluff change that may literally make an army owned by what I assume is LITERALLY EVERY 40k PLAYER invalidated is the most insanely reckless thing they could do.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'll stop the shitposting for a minute. Real talk, I'd expect the individual chapter rules to go away, a lot of the agents/talons of the emperor rules to go away, sisters to finally get drowned in the bathtub, and for the imperial factions to essentially get reduced to guardsmen, old marines, then robomarines. Three different sizes of army is a nice spread.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the unpopular xenos armies don't make it- nids and orks are iconic but no one plays them, so they might not make it to the next edition so GW can make room for new factions- a "good guy daemon" army a la seraphon makes sense.

Nids and Orks aren't gonna get squatted. Especially not Orks.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

"Hey guys I know a great way to increase sales! Let's get rid of the most popular army so people are forced to buy the new sigma.... custodes! This is a no-brainer!"

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Nids and Orks aren't gonna get squatted. Especially not Orks.

I don't think they'll be squatted, I think they'll be given a set of rules at launch and then not updated further.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

There will be plenty of micro-factions, though, similar to Sigmar's Flesh Eater Courts where the whole thing is three units. This is where I see Haemonculus Covens hanging out for a while.

I cannot wait for 20+ years of army recognition to be thrown out the window and replaced with 372 micro-factions.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Age of Sigmar seems to be a huge success financially for GW. It seems like a good move to make similar changes to the 40k setting. Hyped for NotSigmarines! Excited for the future :)

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I'm pumped up

https://twitter.com/GamesWerkshop/status/840251495287259138

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Female space marines?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TKIY posted:

Uh, what if the Stormcruft Bisexuals are a demon-style dual kit for AoS *and* the new army for Age of Emprah?

I was gonna use them as Stormcast anyway so they're just doing it for me.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well is anyone going to Adepticon? The GW ad for it mentioned demoing new models and rules and asking for feedback.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well is anyone going to Adepticon? The GW ad for it mentioned demoing new models and rules and asking for feedback.

I thought that was for Adeptus Titanicus.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

TKIY posted:

I thought that was for Adeptus Titanicus.

Robomarine sculpts spotted.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

TKIY posted:

There is no way to make MCs and Walkers the same unit without releasing new updates to every single codex.

Pretty sure when they added Flyers in 6th they retroactively updated codexes by just printing every existing unit & weapon stat line in the BRB.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
fyi there is still time to join 30k; after the deadline you will be permanently branded a bandwagoner and lovely poseur for doing so.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Pendent posted:

Female space marines?

Yes, but they will only be available in Boob Plate™ and Power Heels™.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

GreenMarine posted:

Couple things:

- 40k Badcast is awesome. I've listened to all the episodes and want more.
- Camhammer is awesome. I've watched all the episodes and want more.

I picked up "I Am Slaughter" but just a couple chapters in and this seems like Dan Abnett's worst book.

Thanks on both! I'm working on my first tutorial right now, and both Camhammer and the Badcast will have Adepticon coverage after the con.

I listened to the audiobook version of I Am Slaughter, I'm pretty sure I could hear the dialtone when Dan Abnett phoned that book in.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I was honestly excited about an 8th Edition informed by the good changes in Age of Sigmar. There are some good ideas for sure, and offering the rules for free as a Warscroll style thing would be great for accessibility.

This talk of a radical fluff change that may literally make an army owned by what I assume is LITERALLY EVERY 40k PLAYER invalidated is the most insanely reckless thing they could do.

Yeah, they're not invalidating loving Space Marines. I can see them rolling some of the codexes into one more unified book though. I'd be really surprised if Age of Sigmar wasn't a template for 40k honestly, and the lessons they learned with the launch of that will go into how they handle launching 40k (for one, not blowing up the setting, and launching with points)

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm hoping to make it to one of those events but they're going to fill up mad fast and you can't register for them online.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Mango Polo posted:

fyi there is still time to join 30k; after the deadline you will be permanently branded a bandwagoner and lovely poseur for doing so.

How can we be sure these refugees are undergoing the proper eXtreme! vetting to ensure that we're all safe from the threat they may pose?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
*sigh* I hope the army I literally just built (and am currently building) after being out of the hobby for a few years doesn't become invalid in a few months.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

SRM posted:

Thanks on both! I'm working on my first tutorial right now, and both Camhammer and the Badcast will have Adepticon coverage after the con.

I listened to the audiobook version of I Am Slaughter, I'm pretty sure I could hear the dialtone when Dan Abnett phoned that book in.

Yeah, they're not invalidating loving Space Marines. I can see them rolling some of the codexes into one more unified book though. I'd be really surprised if Age of Sigmar wasn't a template for 40k honestly, and the lessons they learned with the launch of that will go into how they handle launching 40k (for one, not blowing up the setting, and launching with points)

I'm hoping to make it to one of those events but they're going to fill up mad fast and you can't register for them online.

Please dont be bitter like Serious Gaylord if they do.

I dont want to see the sparkle in your posting snuffed out like his.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Old space marines will be gone by this time next year. Obsolete technology.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Broken Record Talk posted:

How can we be sure these refugees are undergoing the proper eXtreme! vetting to ensure that we're all safe from the threat they may pose?

Let's build a firewall and the 40k thread will pay for it

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Mango Polo posted:

lol at the people who think the other game that uses the exact 40k ruleset will somehow not be affected by this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Zuul the Cat posted:

*sigh* I hope the army I literally just built (and am currently building) after being out of the hobby for a few years doesn't become invalid in a few months.

What army have you been making?

• Locked thread