Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah it sounds like you just had a nice day with your Mom don't make it weird, dude.

Yeah it was pretty nice I'm not complainin' idk I just remembered it when it came up in the thread, probably didn't need to post it but :justpost:

Also she said that helicopter parent thing specifically because I was joking with her on the way over about "taking my mommy to a job interview" so she wanted to rib me on that :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

ate all the Oreos posted:

After that we looked at apartments and she came in to the apartment office with me and we started talking to the leasing agent and she went I'D JUST LIKE YOU TO KNOW THAT I'M HIS MOTHER BUT I'M NOT HERE TO HELICOPTER PARENT I JUST WANTED TO SEE THE APARTMENTS thanks mom :rolleyes:

I had a landlord insist that I have a parent co-sign the lease because he didn't understand how I could not have a steady job but make $75k a year at 27.

My mother was less than amused, and I don't think the guy was expecting the full mother in law treatment. I lived there for four years and he never dared raise my rent :laugh:

Now that I think of it, I should have mom negotiate my salaries from now on.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 10, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ashcans posted:

I am not amazed that that happened, but I am kind of surprised it happened to someone who who is 29. I would have thought someone who was in their early twenties, just out of school, looking for their first job. But 29? Even if you have been in school a long time getting higher degrees you should have picked up self-sufficiency enough to keep your mom at home. :stare:

Me too.

Of course, it should raise the alarm bells that if they haven't managed to cut the cord by 29, then there is equally something wrong with the candidate.

After that we looked at apartments and she came in to the apartment office with me and we started talking to the leasing agent and she went I'D JUST LIKE YOU TO KNOW THAT I'M HIS MOTHER BUT I'M NOT HERE TO HELICOPTER PARENT I JUST WANTED TO SEE THE APARTMENTS thanks mom :rolleyes:

I took my same-sex-as-me friend on my apartment hunt since he knew the area and I did not. It took about 6 letting agencies before we realised that they were assuming that we were a couple.

This was back in the bad old days when being gay wasn't cool. We had to start talking about all the chicks we had banged while in the letting agencies and suddenly they had a lot more properties to view.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I don't have a ton of extremely bad interview stories, but some people are really bad at interviews/life:

- We had someone start off the interview with some kind of weird negging / confidence ritual.

He wouldn't sit until everyone from the panel stood up and walked around the table to go shake his outstretched hand.
He opened with "I know you guys need me and I know that I have skills that you won't be able to find elsewhere. I want both of us to get a lot out of this relationship. I need more than the cap for this position pays, but I am willing to do it for much less than I am worth. I want us all to get what we want here. I am very flexible."

- Had a guy show up to interview in a T-shirt and Blazer

- One guy ended his interview with "Just to be cool, I'm trying to save up for a down-payment on a motorcycle and I'm really only looking to be here for like 3 or 4 months. Just to be honest and help you get your ducks in a row and prepare."

- Had a person who clearly had a rehearsed speech in their head and would just robotically move to the next point and never even come close to addressing the question, but would end each mini-speech with a restatement of the question to try and tie it in ("... and that is what I think a good work/life balance is.")

- Someone told us in their interview that their ex worked for the same agency, but didn't know what they did. Told us their ex's name and asked if they would have to work with him. Then told us a bunch of things "to watch out for" about the ex.

- Had someone ask us if they track our internet browsing history and that he had another job he waiting to hear back from that did. He said that could be a deciding factor in whether he took this job or the other one.

- Lots of people show up an hour or more late to their interview and pretend that nothing happened.

- Someone asked if we had any better jobs available or opening soon in the interview.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

spog posted:

I took my same-sex-as-me friend on my apartment hunt since he knew the area and I did not. It took about 6 letting agencies before we realised that they were assuming that we were a couple.

This was back in the bad old days when being gay wasn't cool. We had to start talking about all the chicks we had banged while in the letting agencies and suddenly they had a lot more properties to view.

This image is cracking me up, how did you work that into a conversation about renting an apartment? "Oh yeah, that corner looks like a great place to crush some puss." Or maybe more like "I'm looking for a place far away from my horrible ex-girlfriend."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I don't have a ton of extremely bad interview stories, but some people are really bad at interviews/life:

- We had someone start off the interview with some kind of weird negging / confidence ritual.

He wouldn't sit until everyone from the panel stood up and walked around the table to go shake his outstretched hand.
He opened with "I know you guys need me and I know that I have skills that you won't be able to find elsewhere. I want both of us to get a lot out of this relationship. I need more than the cap for this position pays, but I am willing to do it for much less than I am worth. I want us all to get what we want here. I am very flexible."

- One guy ended his interview with "Just to be cool, I'm trying to save up for a down-payment on a motorcycle and I'm really only looking to be here for like 3 or 4 months. Just to be honest and help you get your ducks in a row and prepare."

- Had a person who clearly had a rehearsed speech in their head and would just robotically move to the next point and never even come close to addressing the question, but would end each mini-speech with a restatement of the question to try and tie it in ("... and that is what I think a good work/life balance is.")

- Someone told us in their interview that their ex worked for the same agency, but didn't know what they did. Told us their ex's name and asked if they would have to work with him. Then told us a bunch of things "to watch out for" about the ex.

- Had someone ask us if they track our internet browsing history and that he had another job he waiting to hear back from that did. He said that could be a deciding factor in whether he took this job or the other one.

- Lots of people show up an hour or more late to their interview and pretend that nothing happened.

- Someone asked if we had any better jobs available or opening soon in the interview.

My favorite bad interviewee was a lady that failed the simple programming tests we give everyone (despite applying to be a programmer and claiming to know how to program) and then when we explained what was wrong she went "ohhh... wowww you guys are smaaaart" and we just kinda looked at each other and wished her luck because she's obviously gonna need it

e: Actually this seems like it should be in its own thread because it's both funny and a derail, I don't really have any more content than that one (well also this other time that we got a straight-laced-seeming 50-something guy applicant and his picture on his linkedin was him in a leopard-print zentai suit and we couldn't stop laughing) so someone else should start it :v:

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 10, 2017

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

My favorite bad interviewee was a lady that failed the simple programming tests we give everyone (despite applying to be a programmer and claiming to know how to program) and then when we explained what was wrong she went "ohhh... wowww you guys are smaaaart" and we just kinda looked at each other and wished her luck because she's obviously gonna need it

e: Actually this seems like it should be in its own thread because it's both funny and a derail, I don't really have any more content than that one (well also this other time that we got a straight-laced-seeming 50-something guy applicant and his picture on his linkedin was him in a leopard-print zentai suit and we couldn't stop laughing) so someone else should start it :v:

Wait no no no I am getting in on this before we close it down

My old job was as a sort of weird hybrid of medical/pharmacy insurance authorizations. My supervisor had me help with interviews because at the time, the team consisted of me and I was obviously the SME.

One candidate said she was very familiar with obtaining auths for medical plans daily but couldn't name three insurers she worked with regularly.

Another had no questions other than "when can I start"

Another wanted to talk about salary

One of them had a resume on marbled, sparkly paper

I left that position after 6 months (a year total with the org, they transferred me because they hired me for a position they didn't own, long story) when I wrote the loving process and was only making $16.80 and had worse benefits than I'd had in retail pharmacy but Jesus those people.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 10, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

NancyPants posted:

Wait no no no I am getting in on this before we close it down

My old job was as a sort of weird hybrid of medical/pharmacy insurance authorizations. My supervisor had me help with interviews because at the time, the team consisted of me and I was obviously the SME.

One candidate said she was very familiar with obtaining auths for medical plans daily but couldn't name three insurers she worked with regularly.

Another had no questions other than "when can I start"

Another wanted to talk about salary

One of them had a resume on marbled, sparkly paper

I left that position after 6 months when I wrote the loving process and was only making $16.80 and had worse benefits than I'd had in retail pharmacy but Jesus those people.

Also, every person on the planet is "an 8 or a 9" out of 10 in excel.

Everyone.

Immediately followed up with, "Which formulas do you regularly use?"

"All of them."

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Everyone.

"What is the purpose of a pivot table?"

"What's a pivot table?"

or

"What handy automations have you written in VBA for common tasks you had to do?"

"[blank stare]"

My first real job out of school I got paid 50k/yr to essentially be an Excel jockey and 90% of that work was using pivot tables because people around me were too lazy/dumb to figure out that really simple but incredibly useful feature.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Guinness posted:

"What is the purpose of a pivot table?"

"What's a pivot table?"

or

"What handy automations have you written in VBA for common tasks you had to do?"

"[blank stare]"

My first real job out of school I got paid 50k/yr to essentially be an Excel jockey and 90% of that work was using pivot tables because people around me were too lazy/dumb to figure out that really simple but incredibly useful feature.

This is 50% of my job and the amount of time other people estimate it takes to make a pivot table is why I can post on SA regularly.

"I need an analysis of this data. Can you do it in a week?"

*Makes a pivot table, short report, and a new chart in 2 hours*

*Turns it in 2 days later*

"Wow, I have no idea how you manage to do this so fast! This table looks like it took forever!"

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 10, 2017

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Everyone.

Immediately followed up with, "Which formulas do you regularly use?"

"All of them."

I like "Can you describe a project where you realized too late Excel wasn't the best tool, and why?"

In my case it was "Because I was on cell BH5225, and I didn't have anything better."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

spog posted:

It's the 'gay couple claiming they're just roommates' cliche in reverse, except you wouldn't even have been roommates.

From the /r/PF archives, searching with our favorite keyword, horses:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5ardb7/buying_house_because_of_pets/ posted:

(First post here/please be gentle disclaimer! Also I'm so sorry in advance for the NOVEL; thank you guys so much for reading!)

So I've been lurking here for a while and have read a lot of the threads detailing why buying a house is a bad idea for anyone who doesn't have a lot of savings, how there are hidden costs, expensive repairs and people think they'd be saving money from renting but they actually aren't, etc.

I'm still fairly young, am still paying off my student loans, and don't have much in savings, but I'm still thinking about buying a house (/am talking to a loan officer who thinks I can get approved pretty easily but am still trying to weigh pros and cons), namely because, and I realize this probably isn't a very popular or smart decision on this sub, I have a horse. I grew up in the country where horses were easily as common as dogs and my family was full of "horse people." I got this horse when I was a kid and have had him for both of our entire lives. I took him with me when I moved away for college and had to start boarding at established barns, which I hate, but it's been my only option, possibly until now. He's middle-aged now and requires joint injections/some extra care, and selling him is absolutely out of the picture both ethically and emotionally.

I currently pay $225-250 a month (depending on the cost of hay that month) for his board, which is EXTREMELY cheap. I know my barn owner very well, and basically he just charges me a really low rate because he loves me and my horse; normal board in this general area is $400 a month, and $550-600 at larger barns. Unfortunately, I just had to relocate several hours away for work, and my horse will not be able to stay at his current barn for longer than a few more months.

Rent here is also pretty high on houses. I haven't seen a house for rent with room for my horse for under $1700-2000 a month before utilities, and it's VERY rare that suitable houses come up for rent at all because of the extreme demand for housing around here (the cities near here, including the one I have to move to for work, are growing really rapidly, floods of new residents every day). Apartments are a little better, but the cheap ones are all in VERY unsafe neighborhoods, and even the less-cheap ones are packed all the time, and the longer I live in an apartment, the more I just loving hate being around people. I miss living in the middle of nowhere, and I hate not being able to walk outside without having to pass a slew of neighbors grilling in the parking lot/playing basketball in the middle of the street/walking their 5 billion tiny obnoxious dogs/???

I'm currently renting (short-term, until I can figure out where to put my horse/what I'm doing more long-term) a 1-bedroom apartment for $1100/month (also before utilities). Anything much cheaper is in a lovely area, and I'm a small woman and really don't appreciate feeling unsafe just walking to check the mail (been there, done that, don't wanna go back to it). I also have two cats, and every time I move, I get charged a $400-500 pet fee to move them in (200-250 per cat) and "pet rent" of $25 per cat per month.

On the other hand, mortgages in this area really seem not too bad, based on online estimates and whatnot. I see modest houses with mortgage estimates as low as $550-600 a month, so I'm assuming those would ACTUALLY be around $800 a month without a huge down payment and with average credit. If I had a ~$950-1000 a month mortgage (for a cheap/small house with a yard big enough to fence in for pony—I've found some houses like this with no HOA or whose HOAs don't care about horses in browsing around), utilities of... $300? (Assuming they'd be more than the ~$189 I pay per month in an apartment), what, $100 per month in insurance and stuff? (is this too low of an estimate?), that'd put me at approximately $1350-1400 per month, right? vs. $1100 + $189 + $250 + $50 (cats) = ~$1589 right now, and $1739+ when I inevitably have to move my horse to a more expensive barn. This is also not factoring in the cost of the gas I spend to go to the drat barn to see my horse, which will increase drastically in my new city.

I'm sick of having upstairs neighbors keeping me awake at night, I'm sick of having to change out of my pajamas and put a bra on to do tiny things like go get a book out of my car on Saturday morning, I'm sick of not having my horse in my back yard (this is what I was used to for my entire life until I moved away from home), of not being able to just glance out the back door and check on him whenever I want. I'm sick of getting home from work, frantically changing clothes and trying to gun through miles of post-work traffic to make it to the barn before it gets dark, or only being able to go to the barn on weekends. I'm sick of paying absurd nonrefundable fees for two small cats who never do anything but lie around and sleep. I feel like even if it might be a struggle to afford things like repairs, buying a house might still actually be cheaper for me, or at least emotionally worth it regardless. Am I delusional?

Thanks so much in advance for the advice/opinions.

quote:

No horse won't happen; I've kept him through some remarkably bad financial hardships, like "couldn't buy groceries, rented sleeping space on someone's couch in the ghetto in order to keep the horse taken care of" level of financial hardships, but it did a NUMBER on my credit/etc. and I was miserable, so obviously I'd rather not go down that road again now that I'm finally in a good stable adult place—I do appreciate the sentiment. And yes, renting a place close to whatever barn I end up settling on will have to be the plan if I cannot afford a house. It just means moving AGAIN, which I'd really really really rather not do unless I am moving into my new permanent home. I'm so sick of moving from apartment to apartment, I can't even put it into words.

edit: lol, I see I'm being downvoted; I think a lot of people are underestimating how long I've had this horse and how determined I was to keep him even through the "ramen years" of college/early adulthood/etc. It's like having a kid: whether YOU'RE comfortable or not, you make sure their needs are met and you make it work. If I can't buy a house, that's OK, but the horse stays regardless.
The subtle BWM current is that they're trying to make a backyard horse fit into a suburban area that's just going to get more built up over the years. That definitely won't backfire when the HOAs that don't care about horses suddenly have a critical mass of people concerned about :byodood: my property values! :byodood:.

BWL is hating literally everything about nonrural life but living there anyway.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Is pet rent really a thing?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Randler posted:

Is pet rent really a thing?

In any city rental market, hell yes. I just had an apartment ask $300 pet fee and $40/mo pet rent for each of our 2 cats, so $600 + $80/mo in order to have 2 cats in the apartment.

I haven't run into a rental yet that didn't charge pet rent.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Call it a pet fee if you like, I pay $15 a month "pet rent" for my cat. It's to cover any damages the animal might possibly inflict, as well as to deter too many people from having too many pets. For example dogs cost $60-$150 a month at my building depending on size, which is part of why there aren't many large dogs, and I am thankful for that as the first year I was here I lived under someone with one...and the person down the hall had one too and came over for doggy play dates.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 10, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Twerk from Home posted:

In any city rental market, hell yes. I just had an apartment ask $300 pet fee and $40/mo pet rent for each of our 2 cats, so $600 + $80/mo in order to have 2 cats in the apartment.

I haven't run into a rental yet that didn't charge pet rent.

I've never been charged pet rent in California, Toronto, Montreal, or Ottawa. Just extra deposit.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

I've never been charged pet rent in California, Toronto, Montreal, or Ottawa. Just extra deposit.
Pet rent is extremely common around here in Southern California, which is another reason people get a doctor's note saying that they need their pet for anxiety reasons since then the landlord can't charge more for the pet.

My building is supposed to be dog-free, but every unit must have an "anxiety dog" living in it based on all the dogs I see.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Nail Rat posted:

Call it a pet fee if you like, I pay $15 a month "pet rent" for my cat. It's to cover any damages the animal might possibly inflict, as well as to deter too many people from having too many pets. For example dogs cost $60-$150 a month at my building depending on size, which is part of why there aren't many large dogs, and I am thankful for that as the first year I was here I lived under someone with one...and the person down the hall had one too and came over for doggy play dates.

Anyone who has pets on hardwood floors living over somebody is a monster

My neighbor's cat skitters all over the goddamn place, usually at 3 in the morning

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

I lived under an apartment with two dogs, that they kept out on the balcony basically 24/7. It made my balcony completely unusable (oh boy, it's raining dog piss again) and management refused to do anything about it. And that's the story of the last time I lived in an apartment.

e: I guess at least they weren't running around the floors above us at night.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I get that having animals is nice but why the gently caress do so many people feel entitled to having creatures in their home they can't afford to take care of?

"This is how much it costs in time and money to have the animal."

"Well I don't have that."

"Guess you don't get to have the animal then."

:mad: :supaburn: :o: :nyd: :downswords:

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I feel like I should bring my list of anti depressants and anti anxiety medications to my new apartment to show, yeah, while I don't need a dog prescribed to me that it greatly improves my quality of life and I'm not dicking them around.

On the topic of rent, I am often blown away with how much people spend on rent. I always assumed people made way more money than I did to afford to live alone. Turns out they're just blowing like a 40% of their takehome on rent.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 10, 2017

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Assuming he also had on jeans and, socks, and shoes this sounds like California tech interview 101.

Pet rent is a sham and you shouldn't pay it unless they write out not being able to take your regular deposit for pet damages until it's exceeded the pet rent amounts paid.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Pet rent is extremely common around here in Southern California, which is another reason people get a doctor's note saying that they need their pet for anxiety reasons since then the landlord can't charge more for the pet.

My building is supposed to be dog-free, but every unit must have an "anxiety dog" living in it based on all the dogs I see.

Is not charging for the pet actually the case? I know that they have to make "reasonable accommodations" but why does that mean you can't charge extra for Mittens/Rover as long as it covers the cost of making the apartment not smell like cat/dog?

Half the dogs in my complex bark like crazy whenever they see someone, I can't see that exactly calming someone.

Haifisch posted:

The subtle BWM current is that they're trying to make a backyard horse fit into a suburban area that's just going to get more built up over the years. That definitely won't backfire when the HOAs that don't care about horses suddenly have a critical mass of people concerned about :byodood: my property values! :byodood:.

She can get it called a "therapy horse" and that's that.

There's a horse park near me (meaning a local park that has trails that are horse-friendly), and I almost never see guys riding horses. If it's a guy he's there with his wife/girlfriend ("We went to see John Wick 2 last weekend, now it's horse day.") It actually looks kind of relaxing.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Blinkman987 posted:

I feel like I should bring my list of anti depressants and anti anxiety medications to my new apartment to show, yeah, while I don't need a dog prescribed to me that it greatly improves my quality of life and I'm not dicking them around.

No way. If you're entitled to an ESA you have the paperwork for it, plain and simple. Being on meds doesn't give them leeway with their bosses not to charge you applicable fees if it's a corporate place, and no resident has any obligation to show their landlord their meds or tell their medical conditions to justify an animal. You get the script for the animal as allowed by your jurisdiction and that's it.

Otherwise you end up with a verbal agreement not to charge you rent for an animal you have, the dog pisses on the carpet, you move out, and they're charging you for cleaning/replacement and back pet rent and saying "what agreement? It says right here in the lease you have to pay pet rent and deposit."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

Assuming he also had on jeans and, socks, and shoes this sounds like California tech interview 101.

Pet rent is a sham and you shouldn't pay it unless they write out not being able to take your regular deposit for pet damages until it's exceeded the pet rent amounts paid.

I too enjoy fighting with a property conglomerate in contractual arbitration and/or being reported to a collections agency for nonpayment of $15 a month fees

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

H110Hawk posted:

Yes. Sound about right. And if a person dresses up too much, it's big negative points for "culture fit."

I do have a story where my friend's dad was in a morning meeting with Ted Turner a few years back and Turner verbally berated a guy for coming in with a 5 o'clock shadow. Asked him if he had a hard night, was hungover, couldn't bother to shave. Turner was not loving around. He was fuming.

And there is a well known game company on the East Coast where the President is known for once cutting an interviewee's tie off during the interview.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 10, 2017

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Blinkman987 posted:

Yes. Sound about right. And if a person dresses up too much, it's big negative points for "culture fit."

I do have a story where my friend's dad was in a morning meeting with Ted Turner a few years back and Turner verbally berated a guy for coming in with a 5 o'clock shadow. Asked him if he had a hard night, was hungover. Turner was not loving around.

And there is a well known game company on the East Coast where the President is known for once cutting an interviewee's tie off during the interview.

Gonna pretend you said west coast so I can imagine Gabe Newell frothing mad at some dude's tie

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Gonna pretend you said west coast so I can imagine Gabe Newell frothing mad at some dude's tie

West Coast: A team my husband was on mocked a guy for like 6 months because he was really loving good at his job but wore a suit to the interview. They all called him fancy pants and may have even made an alt smtp for it.

BWM: A friend of mine sent me a message yesterday blaming me because she got the amazon prime trial - says she attempted to cancel it but it still charged her, i guess she didn't have 100 in her account because it over drafted her. "ITS YOUR FAULT FOR RECOMMENDING IT TO ME" jesus girl calm the gently caress down. Getting overdrafted for 100$ when I know she has a fairly well paying job and cheap rent (I helped her find the place) is mind blowing.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I too enjoy fighting with a property conglomerate in contractual arbitration and/or being reported to a collections agency for nonpayment of $15 a month fees

We walked out of all those places and rented from a private landlord, getting more home for less money and sane terms. They get away with it because people pay it. Viva la revolution. :downs:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

We walked out of all those places and rented from a private landlord, getting more home for less money and sane terms. They get away with it because people pay it. Viva la revolution. :downs:

Oh yeah shopping around is fine, it sounded more like you were saying to just stop paying it. Reminds me, a while back my apartment started tacking on a $10 a month fee for "common area water" and someone went around putting up posters all around the complex talking about how OUTRAGED he was and demanding that nobody pay the $10 a month because "you don't even use that water!!" Good luck fighting the man, buddy

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Oh yeah shopping around is fine, it sounded more like you were saying to just stop paying it. Reminds me, a while back my apartment started tacking on a $10 a month fee for "common area water" and someone went around putting up posters all around the complex talking about how OUTRAGED he was and demanding that nobody pay the $10 a month because "you don't even use that water!!" Good luck fighting the man, buddy

Yeah I am saying don't sign a contract agreeing to do something stupid, not that you should violate your stupid contract.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Regarding pet rent, when we were looking at apartments in the Seattle area it varied from either a fixed monthly fee (around $20) to a non-refundable one time deposit of I think $100 or so. And we just have a simple cat.

For BWL apartment living with pets, I met someone with two tiny Pomeranian-type dogs that get to share a studio apartment.

Another person dealt with the issue of "owner works for 9 hours a day" by putting the dog in the bathroom and training it to poop in the tub. They seemed proud of themselves for this innovative solution.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

just last month I had a guy Skype in for an interview... from bed.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

oh and one of my husbands friends trained her cat to poop in the toilet

that must be a fun one to explain to guests. "Please leave the lid up, Tiddles can't lift it himself"

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

oh and one of my husbands friends trained her cat to poop in the toilet

If you can actually pull this off to make them do it reliably this is pretty genius.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Guinness posted:

If you can actually pull this off to make them do it reliably this is pretty genius.

As the cats get older and weaker, they'll start falling in the toilet once in a while which is pretty horrible for them and they splash all over making a mess. My family has done it with 2 cats, but past 10 years old it gets iffy.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

monster on a stick posted:

I've never needed a bird lawyer. Thankfully the American College of Equine Attorneys has me covered for horse law. In fact I think I may try to win a scholarship to their conference in Lexington KY by writing out an essay:

I have a friend from school who is really into horses, an attorney, is a member of that group and I think has actually practiced Horse Law in real cases. I'll have to see if I can get any good stories out of him next alumni event.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I have a bias in that I work with the ownership/management side of apartment complexes, but pet rent + pet deposits make a lot of sense because animals smell very strongly like animals and the apartment will smell that way and be worth less money unless it gets a deep, deep clean.

Even if you own one cat in 2 Bedroom apartment, your place smells like a cat. I'm not saying it smells like ammonia and feces (though it might), but it definitely smells like a literal animal lives in there.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Twerk from Home posted:

As the cats get older and weaker, they'll start falling in the toilet once in a while which is pretty horrible for them and they splash all over making a mess. My family has done it with 2 cats, but past 10 years old it gets iffy.

Someone needs to invent a tiny cat toilet that can be flushed with a paw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I have a bias in that I work with the ownership/management side of apartment complexes, but pet rent + pet deposits make a lot of sense because animals smell very strongly like animals and the apartment will smell that way and be worth less money unless it gets a deep, deep clean.

Even if you own one cat in 2 Bedroom apartment, your place smells like a cat. I'm not saying it smells like ammonia and feces (though it might), but it definitely smells like a literal animal lives in there.

No joke. The previous tenant had 3 dogs in one of my old apartments. It was a nice place, but even after a professional chemical cleaning, the carpet smelled like dog for over a year.

• Locked thread