Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
And Shaq.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

zelah posted:

N: Jusuf Nurkic is the first NBA player to log 28+ points, 20+ rebounds, 8+ assists and 6+ blocks in a game since Charles Barkley (11/28/86).

V: Finna buy a jersey this rocket will never fall to earth

Those are all his career highs too. That's impressive.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
the bosnian beast big nurk train is never gonna stop

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Henchman of Santa posted:

Pistons bitch

It is literally impossible to tell how they will play from one game or even one quarter to another

Stan is having them run some good actions to limit Reggie Jackson's exhaustion/pain. In situations where last year he'd flail to the rim for a sad layup, he feints into the paint and dropped it off to Tobias Harris for an easy little scoop shot.

With Love out, Detroit had an easier time on defense, they would help aggressively behind Jackson, so that jackson could just use his long arms to contest jumpers and let the help deal with penetration. They're learning to play around Jackson's physical limitations

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Seems like the Cavs miss Love. I haven't watched any games, but their record recently is not great. Could also be that they're still trying to get DWill on board.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

So is it not a thing for basketball players to have their first name initial or something on the jerseys when there are teammates with the same last name? Not that that would work for Deron and Derrick Williams though...

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Shear Modulus posted:

So is it not a thing for basketball players to have their initials or something on the jerseys when there are teammates with the same last name? Not that that would work for Deron and Derrick Williams.

Deri Williams and Dero Williams
Do you remember that old NFL Backup qb who had too many J Browns on his team, so his jersey nameplate just said JOHN BROWN?

big boi posted:

Seems like the Cavs miss Love. I haven't watched any games, but their record recently is not great. Could also be that they're still trying to get DWill on board.

They do. Their offense isnt as unstoppable and Channing Frye is almost as bad as Andre Drummond on defens. Wtihout those Thompson/Love Rebounds and passes to a player running in transition, they lose a few points per game.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 10, 2017

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Nurkic has been awesome so far for the Blazers. It's amazing what a change of scenery can do to motivate a player.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

They do. Their offense isnt as unstoppable and Channing Frye is almost as bad as Andre Drummond on defens. Wtihout those Thompson/Love Rebounds and passes to a player running in transition, they lose a few points per game.

Kevin is so sneakily good at rebounding. Like, the game will end and he'll have 15 and I'll have no idea how.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Dear blazers. I gave up too soon. I apologise.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Deadspin has posted three different things in the past two days about how Russell Westbrook Is Obviously The MVP, all designed to attack the ~basketbloggers~ pushing the argument that Kawhi should win MVP, none of which acknowledge the existence of James Harden (or Lebron James)

xbilkis fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Mar 10, 2017

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Kevin is so sneakily good at rebounding. Like, the game will end and he'll have 15 and I'll have no idea how.

Not sure how sneaky it is, dude was near the top of the leaderboards the last few years in Minnesota. That was actually a knock on him for awhile-that he'd give up on defensive responsibilities to chase rebounding chances.

xbilkis posted:

Deadspin has posted three different things in the past two days about how Russell Westbrook Is Obviously The MVP, all designed to attack the ~basketbloggers~ pushing the argument that Kawhi should win MVP, none of which acknowledge the existence of James Harden (or Lebron James)

For whatever reason, I think a lot of people don't want to give Harden the credit he deserves. On top of last year not getting All NBA, he's having a year with counting stats right near Westbrook while being substantially more efficient. I personally would go Harden, Westbrook, Lebron, then Kawhi but I can't really fault anyone having Westbrook at the top.

Also I have to admit Kawhi's offensive improvement the last couple of years has been impressive. I was definitely a doubter, but dude's usage has risen consistently with little dropoff in efficiency.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

alansmithee posted:

Not sure how sneaky it is, dude was near the top of the leaderboards the last few years in Minnesota. That was actually a knock on him for awhile-that he'd give up on defensive responsibilities to chase rebounding chances.

It's more that I don't notice his rebounding like I notice TT winning 1 on 4 battles all the time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Lebron is putting stats but the east is so bad and boring that dominating a weak conference isn't that special. Especially when the cavs have a worse record than like 3 teams and almost 4 by the end of the weak.

They could legit lose the 1 seed.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

zelah posted:

N: Jusuf Nurkic is the first NBA player to log 28+ points, 20+ rebounds, 8+ assists and 6+ blocks in a game since Charles Barkley (11/28/86).

Yeah but Doug McDermott.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

It's more that I don't notice his rebounding like I notice TT winning 1 on 4 battles all the time.

It's a reason I don't like contested rebounds as some sort of effort stat, really good rebounders are in position with enough time that contesting is a lost cause. Players are taught that if they don't have a good shot at the rebound, to get back on defense, it's not a knock on a guy that other players don't contest.

Cavs definitely miss Love's offense and Frye is actually a step back on D in most areas.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Cavs should be getting the Love Lockdown back soon, I think he practiced the other day.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

So is it not a thing for basketball players to have their first name initial or something on the jerseys when there are teammates with the same last name? Not that that would work for Deron and Derrick Williams though...

Not in the NBA, no. Ben and Rasheed were both just "Wallace" for their whole time together.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

You can also see their faces and there are only five of them at a time so it probably doesn't matter too much.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Tae posted:

Lebron is putting stats but the east is so bad and boring that dominating a weak conference isn't that special. Especially when the cavs have a worse record than like 3 teams and almost 4 by the end of the weak.

Cavs haven't dominated anyone for a long time, Kevin Love is the MVP of the National Basketball Association.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Declan MacManus posted:

You can also see their faces and there are only five of them at a time so it probably doesn't matter too much.

Except for the Morris twins.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What do you guys make of this? Guard play be dominating?

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/photo/2017/0307/Backcourts.PNG&cquality=80

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
It's long, Pelicans focused, with no pause, volume, or seek controls I can find, but this podcast with a Pels assistant coach gives a lot of insight to what assistant coaches do: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/pelicast/2017/03/10/pelicast-episode-5-chatting-with-pelicans-assistant-coach-jamelle-mcmillan

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I assume assistant coaches do the bulk of the work while head coaches alternate between yelling and looking confused

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I only listened to the first 20 minutes but McMillan's experience as an assistant coach seems pretty typical, responsible for player development for a small group of players, game planning, hates "analytics" but is still obsessed with meaningless small sample lineup combination stats.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

I assume assistant coaches do the bulk of the work while head coaches alternate between yelling and looking confused

I think fans generally overrate the Xs and Os aspect. Head coaches mostly get players to buy into roles and systems. Thats why guys like Scott Brooks (who don't seem to be the brightest BBIQ bulbs) get a lot of success while a guy like Hoiberg (who by all accounts is a really smart basketball guy) have trouble getting consistent results from his team.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lockback posted:

I think fans generally overrate the Xs and Os aspect. Head coaches mostly get players to buy into roles and systems. Thats why guys like Scott Brooks (who don't seem to be the brightest BBIQ bulbs) get a lot of success while a guy like Hoiberg (who by all accounts is a really smart basketball guy) have trouble getting consistent results from his team.

It's a video game effect. In real life, the guys don't just automatically run every play the the way you want every time unless they decide to spin in a circle or run out of bounds for no reason

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The amount of times I lay out an awesome basketball play that I copy directly from a good NBA team only to have my 13 year old girls immediately abandon it...

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Love me some Mad Max

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

zelah posted:

You sandbagging motherfucker

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
To explore the depths of OKC's cheating here is the play that Kawhi Leonard was injured on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scKGiPIxaAA

This particular play may stick out a bit because this is the play that shouldn't have happened because of a shot clock violation.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
What was happening in Denver? I remember hearing that he asked to be taken out of the starting lineup at one point. Was it just a combination of Jokic overlap and chemistry issues?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

zelah posted:

What was happening in Denver? I remember hearing that he asked to be taken out of the starting lineup at one point. Was it just a combination of Jokic overlap and chemistry issues?

Jokic asked to come off the bench because the Nurkic/Jokic starting line-up was an utter disaster, and then Nurkic lost his starting role and basically wanted out of there. And now they're playing Plumlee with Jokic because Malone is an idiot.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bashez posted:

To explore the depths of OKC's cheating here is the play that Kawhi Leonard was injured on.

This particular play may stick out a bit because this is the play that shouldn't have happened because of a shot clock violation.

the fix is in

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

leftist heap posted:

the fix is in

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Bashez posted:

maybe play until you hear a buzzer

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Huh, this is kinda big and may have some complications down the road: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/245252/Agent-Dan-Fegan-Terminated-By-ISE

quote:

Independent Sports & Entertainment has terminated Dan Fegan 'for cause'.

Chris Grancio will replace Fegan. Grancio was hired by ISE in September of 2016 as Chief Marketing Officer. Grancio was previously General Manager of Global Basketball with adidas.

Kevin Johnson has been hired as vice chairman of the agency.

Fegan represents DeMarcus Cousins, Chandler Parsons, Jusuf Nurkic, Ricky Rubio and many other NBA players.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Boogie with another takedown.

He is proving to be pretty great power broker.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Kibner posted:

Huh, this is kinda big and may have some complications down the road: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/245252/Agent-Dan-Fegan-Terminated-By-ISE

This is going to be one of the more low key interesting stories of the season. This guy has way too much power when it comes to team building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I'm still feeling nurkic fever get it in big man

• Locked thread