Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've decided I'm naming my ryder alec to make the game as confusing as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I preordered it on Amazon but I'm kinda bummed I won't get my pyjack.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I loved Mass Effect when it came out, liked ME2 a little less, and never played ME3 because I didn't have a console/good enough PC back then. Is there something at the beginning of ME3 to indicate your choices in ME2 (like a questionnaire) or is it all based on the character you import? Because I still know most of the stuff I did, but I don't have any save games.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Jack's Flow posted:

I loved Mass Effect when it came out, liked ME2 a little less, and never played ME3 because I didn't have a console/good enough PC back then. Is there something at the beginning of ME3 to indicate your choices in ME2 (like a questionnaire) or is it all based on the character you import? Because I still know most of the stuff I did, but I don't have any save games.

http://www.masseffectsaves.com/

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CottonWolf posted:

Good thing Obsidian's making a game explicitly about colonialism as we speak.

Oh word? What's the name of the new game?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Jack's Flow posted:

Unfortunately, no. You hafta find a save state that's close to what you want and load that up.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Torrannor posted:

Pillars of Eternity 2.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Torrannor posted:

Apparently the pillars of eternity sequel starts with a long dead god showing up, loving up all your poo poo, and flipping you the bird while flying off to a distant island archipelago. So the logical response is to steal a pirate ship and fly the gently caress after it.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Peebee's jaw is falling off and Cora's either winking or having an eye spasm

https://clips.twitch.tv/TrappedShortWaterYee

https://clips.twitch.tv/BovineSuccessfulCheddarKeepo

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Kurieg posted:

Apparently the pillars of eternity sequel starts with a long dead god showing up, loving up all your poo poo, and flipping you the bird while flying off to a distant island archipelago. So the logical response is to steal a pirate ship and fly the gently caress after it.

I mean, wouldn't you?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
If you find a save you like but isn't quite what you want you can edit them with Gibbed to be precisely how you want.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

exquisite tea posted:

There's a kind of weird revisionism to "well the facial animations were always this bad, Mass Effect was never a good-looking series." Mass Effect 2 was maybe one of the most graphically impressive games of 2010 and still looks great today, especially compared to its contemporaries that don't hold up nearly as well. It had really strong art direction that made up for its shortcomings in other areas and ran well on even the most piece of poo poo system.

ME2 was indeed better than anything else in this regard. However, in the meantime animation and quality of character models made gigantic leaps, while Bioware did not. DAI didn't look great and ME3 still seems quite stiff and like ME2/3 with better textures. Which would be really disappointing. That said, the 15 minutes of the beginning IGN showed looked quite good, better than this recent one.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I think I may just be a dullard because I can't see bad animations when I'm watching these vids in normal speed. I don't see anything until it's slowed down and pulled out of context. Now unless it pulls something like from ME3 where you're talking to Liara and all of a sudden ya'lls heads start spinning around while they follow Glyph around the room, I don't think I'll be pulled out of the story.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
That was fast. Thanks a lot, guys. I really didn't want to play through ME 2 again, but I do want to play 3 before Andromeda.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've decided I'm naming my ryder alec to make the game as confusing as possible.

You could name your Ryder "Ryder" so that in defaulting to the last name, the game will actually have all NPCs on a super-casual first-name basis with you.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Ryder Ryder is one flexible dude.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It's like Mario Mario.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ryder was my fathers name. Please, call me Ryder

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Kurieg posted:

Also by loving up all your poo poo Kurieg means "Ate parts of your soul" so, yes.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

That bitch took my soul

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

marshmallow creep posted:

It's like Mario Mario.

Or Sirhan Sirhan.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
Can someone please explain to me why the characters and facial animations I'm seeing in literally all the videos for this game feel so "off" - I don't think it's an uncanny valley situation because it's not hyper-realistic. I haven't been playing ME2 or ME3 in quite a long time so perhaps I'm not remembering correctly, but I never had anywhere near the visceral gut-level rejection of the 3D models the way I'm getting from this new poo poo. I think it's something to-do with the eyes maybe? Everyone human or asari just looks dead-eyed and fat-faced to me, and it's bizarre.

edit: Like, seriously, Ryder just seems like the LEAST compelling character to play as and I have a feeling like it's not going to be received nearly as well as Shephard was. All the weird facial stuff going on and the voice-actor for the guy version just.... gah, I dunno!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I think this game will be fun to play but the characters and the story will be lol just lol imo

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

AwkwardKnob posted:

Can someone please explain to me why the characters and facial animations I'm seeing in literally all the videos for this game feel so "off" - I don't think it's an uncanny valley situation because it's not hyper-realistic. I haven't been playing ME2 or ME3 in quite a long time so perhaps I'm not remembering correctly, but I never had anywhere near the visceral gut-level rejection of the 3D models the way I'm getting from this new poo poo. I think it's something to-do with the eyes maybe? Everyone human or asari just looks dead-eyed and fat-faced to me, and it's bizarre.

edit: Like, seriously, Ryder just seems like the LEAST compelling character to play as and I have a feeling like it's not going to be received nearly as well as Shephard was. All the weird facial stuff going on and the voice-actor for the guy version just.... gah, I dunno!

Yeah I think it's the eyes that bother me the most. I can deal with weird facial animations but the dead, soulless eyes really kind of pull me out. I think that's also why the Krogan, Salarian, etc. aliens that have non-human eyes don't look so bad.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I preordered the game and I have origin access but I just realised I'll be away from my pc next weekend.

:negative:

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

100% agree with you. The Salarian and Krogan characters I've seen look totally fine. The modelling of the eyes for the human characters doesn't seem as detailed actually. They don't look wet or alive. They're just these dead cow eyes surrounded by awkwardly shifting eyebrow motions.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
A lot of characters seem like they have the shakes when they speak. Not all of them but a few seem like they can't stay still while speaking.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Ainsley McTree posted:

Ryder was my fathers name. Please, call me Ryder

Ryder Ibn Ryder. Ryder O'Ryder. Ryder Fech Ryder.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Spaseman posted:

A lot of characters seem like they have the shakes when they speak. Not all of them but a few seem like they can't stay still while speaking.

It's just what happens when you've been frozen for 600 years. It's immersive!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Turbl posted:

Peebee's jaw is falling off and Cora's either winking or having an eye spasm

https://clips.twitch.tv/TrappedShortWaterYee

https://clips.twitch.tv/BovineSuccessfulCheddarKeepo

I can't hear the sound at work, but the first looks like Peebee just starts snickering at a joke only she heard, while Cora looks like she has an eyelash in her eye but is trying to focus on the task at hand

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

To be clear, I *want* to like this game. I really do. But it hasn't won me over yet and I'm going in expecting it to be bad and get 60-70% range reviews, honestly. Prove me wrong, Bioware. Prove me wrong.

Also, fix the human's eyes. Thanks.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Single player has confirmed Krogan Vangaurds with Nova

I am fine with everything and its fine

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

fridge corn posted:

I think this game will be fun to play but the characters and the story will be lol just lol imo

My thoughts exactly for pretty much any Bioware game made in the last decade.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

homullus posted:

You could name your Ryder "Ryder" so that in defaulting to the last name, the game will actually have all NPCs on a super-casual first-name basis with you.

You don't have to do that because if you leave the default names, characters will use that!

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

AwkwardKnob posted:

Its not much different in the previous ME games. I recently reinstalled ME3 and my first thought was "this has aged really badly". Super janky animations that never bothered me when it was released but now seem horrifying.

I blame The Last of Us personally.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Personally, I want to name my guy Dave Rider after the character from Space Mutiny. Buff Drinkslots!

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Esroc posted:

It's not there on my end. It's certainly possible somethings wrong and I'm getting worked up over a simple glitch. But from where I'm sitting there are no tabs, no options, absolutely nothing I can select to access the cheaper editions and even using search to specifically bring up all the different editions in the search window just redirects me to Super Deluxe when I select standard or even "regular" deluxe. Doesn't matter though, getting it through Amazon worked just fine.

Do you have a vpn/ublock origin, I had tons if issues with using either of these and using the ff14 launcher, maybe it's the same for origin?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

WanderingKid posted:

Its not much different in the previous ME games. I recently reinstalled ME3 and my first thought was "this has aged really badly". Super janky animations that never bothered me when it was released but now seem horrifying.

I blame The Last of Us personally.

Blaming naughty dog for effective design is mildly unfair. They're such a loving gold standard and have spoiled us rotten.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
They ruined the cinematic gaming dream for me. Everything else just seems weird and wrong now. So yeah, its not uncanny valley. Its the march of progress and the difficulty of turning back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

FunkMonkey posted:

Blaming naughty dog for effective design is mildly unfair. They're such a loving gold standard and have spoiled us rotten.

Yeah, there's no quick path to authentic facial animation. I'm guessing that ME uses some kind of procedural tech for most of the dialogue, and the only way to get quality on par with Last of Us is to have a human animator go through and do that hard work of making everything look believably human. I'm sure Bioware has some number of folks who do that job, but the huge volume of dialogue means that they probably only do tuning passes on cut-scenes and other plot critical stuff.