Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Think that might be his wife cuz she looks a bit Korean and he's giving an interview about South Korea, so he might live there? I agree though, I'd like to think the tv viewers would be cool with a dad finishing a two minute interview with his kid quietly on his knee or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Red Bones posted:

I'd like to think the tv viewers would be cool with a dad finishing a two minute interview with his kid quietly on his knee or something.

idk those glasses were pretty loud

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I think the best part is the baby managing to bounce their chair thing in there.

As for Graphics talk, Fallout 4 has been the most recent one for me. I decided my computer could sound like a jet turbine for a bit while I tested out max settings.

Man I don't think they're worth it, but godrays are just so insanely cool.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Macaluso posted:

This video starts off funny with the kids barging in but then the dad just kind of casually pushes one back and then the mom or babysitter (?) come rushing in and just yank that one little girl by the arm really hard. It's like jesus christ these kids barging into your super important news broadcast is not THAT big of a deal man

It's funny because the guy probably thought "this is my big moment and I wont let my kids ruin it!" but since he was such an rear end in a top hat everyone is gonna hate him and his career as a tv personality is dead. But if he had turned around and said something like "hey sweetie dad is very busy you gotta go now ok" he would be a viral sensation with clickbait videos titled Watch As This Dad Completely Destroys Parenting

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The toddler march and wife panic are the best parts of the video, as is the baby waddling in all "WHAT'S GOING ON IN HERE"

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

experts agree: the best part of the video is all of it

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Maybe it's my own lovely experiences talking here but if that's how the guy acts when he's on camera I have a pretty good idea of how much worse it's gonna be when they're away from prying eyes.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

babypolis posted:

It's funny because the guy probably thought "this is my big moment and I wont let my kids ruin it!" but since he was such an rear end in a top hat everyone is gonna hate him and his career as a tv personality is dead.

I mean... I haven't actually seen anyone post that video and not also say how LOL hilarious it is. I don't think he's gonna have to worry.

oddium posted:

experts agree: the best part of the video is all of it

Lol yeah totally the best part is when the small child gets yanked by her arm really hard and dragged out of the room. Lol top memes

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Macaluso posted:

Lol yeah totally the best part is when the small child gets yanked by her arm really hard and dragged out of the room. Lol top memes

Small children are very durable. I was yanked a bunch as a kid because I was a wreckless little poo poo who would would constantly endanger myself in dumb ways either in the outdoors or in cities and never got hurt by the yanks.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

bloodychill posted:

Small children are very durable. I was yanked a bunch as a kid because I was a wreckless little poo poo who would would constantly endanger myself in dumb ways either in the outdoors or in cities and never got hurt by the yanks.

I mean I guess it's possible there was a live panther or running chainsaw just out of camera's view we couldn't see

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Biggest sigh

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Nioh is real good y'all

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Guy Mann posted:

Maybe it's my own lovely experiences talking here but if that's how the guy acts when he's on camera I have a pretty good idea of how much worse it's gonna be when they're away from prying eyes.
Yeah I bet he hits his wife and cheats on his children.

Macaluso posted:

Yanked? F'real?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

pretty sure the older child is being dragged on the floor through the door and past the jumper which is pretty bad looking

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can lift a child from the floor by their arm. It's a skill we developed from monkeys.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

My question is what happened to cause the situation to spiral so quickly out of that poor woman's hands? Even the baby in its little jumper was in there before she was.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MinibarMatchman posted:

What does the boxer start with now because I loved playing as him but did not love his bottom-rung pitiful starting moveset. Do we now get info on what items and foods do what as well? Terrible starting movesets and deliberately obtuse items were what soured me but if those get fixed up enough I'll dive back in

He starts with a special move that's a dashing straight that sends people flying, plus more options when grabbing people. It's hardly a cure-all, because I genuinely think the characters still need to start with full combos, but it's certainly better than before.

The item stuff is also on the to-fix list, I believe.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That map is backwards. Why mirror the image

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

That map is backwards. Why mirror the image

Protects against vampires.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The single good part of Dracula 2000 was when Dracula didn't show up on a video camera because of internal reflections.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Doesn't the human eye have mirror lens shenanigans? Something weird

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not backwards, it's from below. That's a mole people map.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

I don't know about your eyes, but I'm pretty sure there aren't any mirrors in my eyes.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Jay Rust posted:

I think its something like the image projected onto the retina is upside down, but the brain flips it for us. Thanks brain

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I will reward my brain with alcohol

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Lurdiak posted:

He starts with a special move that's a dashing straight that sends people flying, plus more options when grabbing people. It's hardly a cure-all, because I genuinely think the characters still need to start with full combos, but it's certainly better than before.

Thought you were still talking about the TV interview dad here

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Red Bones posted:

Thought you were still talking about the TV interview dad here

I mean that's entirely possible. I didn't check his movelist.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Anyway it's a thing with webcams and front cameras on phones/tablets/etc. They by default mirror the image so when you're looking at your screen you see what you'd expect from an actual mirror and don't break your brain.

A lot of software will reverse the mirroring when you're sending video to someone else so it looks right for them, but not all of them do.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Anyway it's a thing with webcams and front cameras on phones/tablets/etc. They by default mirror the image so when you're looking at your screen you see what you'd expect from an actual mirror and don't break your brain.

A lot of software will reverse the mirroring when you're sending video to someone else so it looks right for them, but not all of them do.

I hate this. It shows you one thing and the picture is different.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Aphrodite posted:

Protects against vampires.

Didn't help in symphony of the night.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Playing BotW for the past couple days. It's really good but man are there some things that are kind of a drag. Stamina being used for so much and being such a limiter to exploring is the big one. The massive frame drops during battles and if I just turn the camera down in some areas is the other.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

bloodychill posted:

Playing BotW for the past couple days. It's really good but man are there some things that are kind of a drag. Stamina being used for so much and being such a limiter to exploring is the big one. The massive frame drops during battles and if I just turn the camera down in some areas is the other.

when you can climb anything and everything it's only logical that stamina is the equalizer. I haven't even upgraded my stamina once and I've never felt I was hosed over by it, even going to the tip top of the huger mountains.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It really needs to not drop so quickly when you sprint.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bloodychill posted:

I feel a bit better about sprinting stamina because Link moves at a pretty good pace by default, but I wish it wasn't used for normal swimming. It's not like you can't go out as far in the water as you want using the Cryonis rune, so it's not even that much of a limiter. It's just an annoyance.

My biggest issues with the game are all around combat balance, because the game goes from being crazy punishing to being extremely easy as soon as you get good armor and realize you can endlessly scarf down food in-combat. Weapon damage and armor defense have way too wide a range, which means that the balance between how much damage you take versus how many hearts you have is extremely spiky. It also makes the player far more gear-dependent in combat than I'd like--armor is so important if you don't want to spend all your time eating and waiting for fairies to revive you because some enemy's 40-damage weapon ate 10 of your hearts. In its current form, I think the game needs its easy access to fairy revival, temporary hearts, and instant healing, but I'd prefer a game with a little tighter damage/health balance and more limited healing instead.

Luckily the game is so ridiculously fun to explore, with great puzzles and so many cool little adventures that aren't even side quests to find, that the screwed up combat balance doesn't really hurt my enjoyment that much. But it could've been done a lot better.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

E: wrong thread

inferis fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 10, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

looking at the Zelda/Nier/persona 5 reviews earlier I was remembering the old Phil Fish quote about how Japanese games suck, then watched the video again and was surprised that when he describes his ideal Zelda game, it's pretty much what BOTW became https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKUGwlFJAHw

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Rise of the Tomb Raider completion question:

I'm at 84% done on Geothermal I'm missing 3 challenges, one mission, two survival caches. I'm at the point in the story where I need to go back through the Soviet Installation and rescue Jonah. Is there more story after I do that that'll bring me back here to unlock more stuff in the area or am I just somehow completely missing some stuff (I feel like I've swept every inch of Geothermal Valley).

Rescuing Jonah feels very end-gamey

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 10, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

MinibarMatchman posted:

when you can climb anything and everything it's only logical that stamina is the equalizer. I haven't even upgraded my stamina once and I've never felt I was hosed over by it, even going to the tip top of the huger mountains.

It has kept me from exploring some spots or making exploring those areas more tedious than it needed to be. Also it makes exploring through swimming kind of a pain.

Harrow posted:

I feel a bit better about sprinting stamina because Link moves at a pretty good pace by default, but I wish it wasn't used for normal swimming. It's not like you can't go out as far in the water as you want using the Cryonis rune, so it's not even that much of a limiter. It's just an annoyance.

My biggest issues with the game are all around combat balance, because the game goes from being crazy punishing to being extremely easy as soon as you get good armor and realize you can endlessly scarf down food in-combat. Weapon damage and armor defense have way too wide a range, which means that the balance between how much damage you take versus how many hearts you have is extremely spiky. It also makes the player far more gear-dependent in combat than I'd like--armor is so important if you don't want to spend all your time eating and waiting for fairies to revive you because some enemy's 40-damage weapon ate 10 of your hearts. In its current form, I think the game needs its easy access to fairy revival, temporary hearts, and instant healing, but I'd prefer a game with a little tighter damage/health balance and more limited healing instead.

Luckily the game is so ridiculously fun to explore, with great puzzles and so many cool little adventures that aren't even side quests to find, that the screwed up combat balance doesn't really hurt my enjoyment that much. But it could've been done a lot better.

I haven't played long enough to get that feeling with the combat yet. It's really fun to explore but yeah, after I play for a few hours it's really easy to look at something and go "this could have been a lot better if they tweaked [this element of the game] a little." I'm definitely understanding oddium and hurthling's complaints about the game.

At the same time, it's really fun and the puzzles are neat. Nothing that has hit the same level as the puzzle games people recommended to me here back in December but I'm not expecting anything on that level from an open world game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Harrow posted:

with great puzzles

oh yeah for sure. am i going to have to use magnesis to get this ball in the hole, or stasis on this moving object

[wokely] or both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Botw is very frustrating to play but is rewarding.

• Locked thread