Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I had someone get mad at me one time for Conqueror light comboing him to death over multiple rounds.

I can't really blame him though, if I kept falling for that I would feel really stupid too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

mellowjournalism posted:

Got a clip/link? Or hell any awesome champ level matches would be great to watch. I don't know anything about the fighting game tournament scene, is there anything organized enough yet where we can see the best players in the world or a given region fight?

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/127482349

Starts around 3:20:00.

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.
Man, there can't be much in this game that brings forth as much tears as a valk that does the sweep, top heavy, shield rush rince and repeat.

"Oh, you wanted to do something the entire match? Nope"

SmithKurosaki
Apr 15, 2009

Of course I'm not scum, if I were scum I would be fucking glaring. Christ.
Was anyone else having an impossible time completing matches today? Every time I joined a match with more than 4 people in it, it would crash within 3 minutes or so. Another wasted day. Just glad I didn't have Champ status again.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Picer posted:

Man, there can't be much in this game that brings forth as much tears as a valk that does the sweep, top heavy, shield rush rince and repeat.

"Oh, you wanted to do something the entire match? Nope"

That may be the worst vortex in the game. Her stamina is huge too, so she can do it three times. If you can't dodge her shield bash or sweep you're just locked in. I play Shugoki and she'll drain my stamina and just shred me.

Is there anything guaranteed off a heavy parry on Shugoki? Assassins wreck me, but even when I get a heavy parry off they're often too far back foe me to get anything on.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Listening to alpha:
E: removed my own :spergin: based on counsel from wiser souls.
He is actually chill, not just talking about being chill

He gives no fucks about all the twitchiness of twitch that a lot of streamers obsess about.
A lot of streamers are :spergin: af and completely in their own heads ( to be fair I am :spergin: af as well and so can often appreciate that)
Alpha strikes me as mostly heart instead being locked in his own head
He does none of the flicker, soft feint, unlockable bugs when he plays (he claims he can't) so I think gives more of an idea about what the game can really be like
Only remotely salty moments I have seen are when douchebags start a match with racist poo poo... and even then he is chill about need needing to slaughter them in the game (which he does)

I am relegated to watching the game at the moment. (Travel, sleepless nights, pain killers for a bit.) He is without doubt my fav streamer of this game, but since he gives no fucks and actually has a life he only streams occasionally. Next one Sunday.

Streamers report:
I watch Galahad because he seems to know a poo poo ton about the game. Over memed though. In fairness he is actually in it, rather than just doing it though and seems a good guy (from my random, meaningless, superficial assessments).

Tru3ta1ent does not seem to suffer from the rampant narcissism or whatever of most streamers and seems a legitimately nice guy. He set up that match in the clip above and is kind of an ambassador or something for the game. Knows a lot and keeps up with game developments, etc.

I like a streamer who has only been streaming a few weeks who is playing the game: cookieqwisp. Also not all ego based and a touch of eccentricity. She is not posing as some expert, but her play seems really good. You kinda have to see it since I can't do it justice.

I watch Fengrush mostly because I like the way he approaches learning a game and he isn't very good yet so I can learn while watching his process.

I watch the rest, but often (not always) have a bit of cringe going on when I do. Usually have to hide their chat, etc.

I know. Get a life. I am in a foreign land and pretty locked down at the moment. Life resumes in a couple of weeks.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 10, 2017

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Tru3ta1ent is good and cool to watch. He also believes the LB is good and will be crazy good after buffs.

Alphastrike6 is incredibly cool and chill but you should relax with your pseudo doxx because he's made it clear he doesn't want to talk about his personal life.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Tru3ta1ent is good and cool to watch. He also believes the LB is good and will be crazy good after buffs.

Alphastrike6 is incredibly cool and chill but you should relax with your pseudo doxx because he's made it clear he doesn't want to talk about his personal life.

poo poo. Not meaning to doxx or expose him. Just real admiration and respect on my part, but you are right. Thank you. Fixed it.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 10, 2017

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

SquirrelGrip posted:

add XBOX UNSUCK and we can shank cunts

Done and done.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

That may be the worst vortex in the game. Her stamina is huge too, so she can do it three times. If you can't dodge her shield bash or sweep you're just locked in. I play Shugoki and she'll drain my stamina and just shred me.

Is there anything guaranteed off a heavy parry on Shugoki? Assassins wreck me, but even when I get a heavy parry off they're often too far back foe me to get anything on.

You should generally be able to get a GB off of a parry, which then leads into a Demon Ball or even an Embrace if there's a wall to throw them into first. Under certain circumstances (I think when the timing's not quite right) that GB can be teched, but it should still connect pretty much always.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Are the servers down on PS4? The website says they're up but I'm just spinning on contacting.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

But a lot of time they're too far back for me to grab straight out, and I don't usually have time to just walk at them. Nobushi especially wreck me because there's no penalty for me blocking them, they can just back up and combo again, and I'll definitely miss a block soon.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

I keep trying to watch tru3ta1ent but everytime anyone gives him money he goes into mumble high pitch cant understand voice and I just turn off the stream.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

It's like some kind of song he sings, I stopped watching for the same reason. Why can't people just not be weird?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I just don't like looking at him. I wish face cams were toggleable on the viewer end.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

:agreed:

Great gameplay, lovely game.

"great gameplay poo poo game" seems accurate given you can't even make loving lobbies and if I want to select a new MP mode, I have to quit back to the loving title and then see Low Activity on almost everything. A shame they didn't think more about other game modes or UI improvements. With all the other games that came out recently and the continuing onslaught of them all the way to June, it's gonna be rough on the activity portion for certain modes

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Nechronic posted:

I just don't like looking at him. I wish face cams were toggleable on the viewer end.
He used to stream dark souls 2 way back when it came out and I came to this exact conclusion: I don't like his face

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm so loving sick of Lawbringer

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I got in a hit on one!

Then he put his pike in my gut and ran me off a cliff.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsS0cvTxU-8

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.

Keegers posted:

I keep trying to watch tru3ta1ent but everytime anyone gives him money he goes into mumble high pitch cant understand voice and I just turn off the stream.

I think he says something along the lines of "Sub hyyyype! You get the cap emotes and linkage! Welcome to the community!"

But because of his accent combined with slurring words together and saying them way too fast, it comes out as literal gibberish. I typically react the same way you do. His stream is great otherwise, but that catchphrase is terrible and after hearing it 8 times in 15 minutes I'm done.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Keegers posted:

Edit: post above me said it better.

Anything with a vortex should be nerfed, or slowed down. It's easy enough to dodge out as an assassin, but every other class has a tiny window to play perfectly or Warden/Warlord/Valk and kind if LB just get huge unanswerable damage.

On the other hand, I feel absolutely no shame throwing people off cliffs every match as Shugoki. The only classes that bitch about it are ones with poo poo throws. Sorry peacekeeper, but I'll trade your dodge for my Oni Charge if you want.

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 10, 2017

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

On the other hand, I feel absolutely no shame throwing people off cliffs every match as Shugoki. The only classes that bitch about it are ones with poo poo throws. Sorry peacekeeper, but I'll trade your dodge for my Oni Charge if you want.

Peacekeeper is the class I feel least guilty throwing off a cliff. If it's a choice between rapidly trying to guess which direction to block as they spam light attacks faster than I can change my guard, or winning instantly, I go with gravity every time. They seem to make up about half of my matches and I absolutely hate fighting them.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Lawbringers get huge unanswerable damage? Since when? Also you should never feel guilty about throwing any class off a cliff since, you know, that's a part of the game.

Edit: also it's funny. Throwing them off cliffs is funny. Especially when they try to do it to you first, fail, and reprimand you for doing it afterward.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 10, 2017

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

LB doesn't get unanswerable damage, he's just has a really spammy Shove vortex. I only bitch about it because whenever I'm exhausted as Shugoki I just can't do poo poo for like 15 seconds straight. It's not really a problem, poor lawbringers really need a buff.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

LB doesn't get unanswerable damage, he's just has a really spammy Shove vortex. I only bitch about it because whenever I'm exhausted as Shugoki I just can't do poo poo for like 15 seconds straight. It's not really a problem, poor lawbringers really need a buff.

You're not wrong on the shove, but of course it does no damage and any followup can be countered or parried with ease, unless you do that super frame cancel EX turbo edition stuff, which will only guarantee a light and if you have lightning reflexes a 50/50 on a heavy. The main thing good about the shove is that it can be a guaranteed trip over a cliff if your opponent is standing right in front of it.

Now, if you were going to complain about something LB related, it should be infinite Long Arms while a buddy wails on the victim for free. That is the ONE AND ONLY ONE thing I would say could use tuning down.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

My favorite thing is to Demon Grab someone in a 4v4 with friends around, they just loving demolish the poor dude while he's getting his back broken then laying on the ground.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

FunkMonkey posted:

Now, if you were going to complain about something LB related, it should be infinite Long Arms while a buddy wails on the victim for free. That is the ONE AND ONLY ONE thing I would say could use tuning down.

The Long Arm chain-pancake flip needs to go. It's broken in 1vMany and worthless everywhere else.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 15, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The Long Arm pancake flip needs to go. It's broken in 1vMany and worthless everywhere else.

I mean it's a guaranteed light when done by yourself, and occasionally astonishes someone when you use it to send them over a cliff, so let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. I would maybe increase the stamina cost so you could maybe do it 2-3 times in succession before exhausting yourself.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I am starting to love the Kensei. Thanks to that goon that posted the advanced tips video, I'm nowhere near the level of crazy cancelling out the third swing twice and then unlocking and zone attacking or whatever, but I've gotten pretty good with her and she has rapidly become my favorite Vanguard because the Raider I really wanted to like but can't deal with the slowness and the Warden either telegraphs everything too much or she's just nibbling at them with lights. Kensei instead is quick when needed and packs a drat nice punch really rapidly.

Warden I would always have problems with Valkyries and Shugokis, but I just tear people apart with the Kensei since she has so many options and easy ways to switch up the side of her attack, plus the dodge... I dunno why I hadn't used her earlier, guess I had bad memories of struggling with her in SP.

I will say the most frustrating move to me lately, especially in Duels, is the Valkyrie backdash shield charge just because it's complete bullshit for certain characters and she drops back WAY too far and then charges forward WAY too far such that she can basically dodge away from almost any big attack/charge and then immediately slam you on your rear end unless you are one of the 5 or so classes that can manage the split second side dodge. Dodging backward with any class won't work and you will still get hit. Only exception to this I find is if you're a Nobushi and do a fading strike, but any smart Valkyrie would never do the shield charge in that situation (or against a Nobushi in general) since you want to get up in her face.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 10, 2017

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'll keep playing this game

until Mass Effect 4 comes out

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

FunkMonkey posted:

I mean it's a guaranteed light when done by yourself, and occasionally astonishes someone when you use it to send them over a cliff, so let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. I would maybe increase the stamina cost so you could maybe do it 2-3 times in succession before exhausting yourself.

No I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I mean the repeatedly chain flipping. Long Arm is great and super useful for positioning and for getting a guaranteed light. Long Arm is super stupid when a Lawbringer just chain-flips some poor bastard around repeatedly for a pummeling.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
I am absolutely awful at Lawbringer but drat if he isn't fun as gently caress anyways.

I don't really get the ranking system in this game. Is there a hidden skill rating or something or is it just based off of your prestige or whatever? I'm still very new, like my highest hero is level 10 iirc, and I keep getting matched up in duel against prestige 2 peacekeepers and orochi's. I'm getting my rear end beat obviously.

Just gotta get good, I suppose. Peacekeeper is easiest for me to do well with but Lawbringer and Raider are very fun too. Is raider bad? Ive read that he's bad.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

zeldadude posted:

I am absolutely awful at Lawbringer but drat if he isn't fun as gently caress anyways.

I don't really get the ranking system in this game. Is there a hidden skill rating or something or is it just based off of your prestige or whatever? I'm still very new, like my highest hero is level 10 iirc, and I keep getting matched up in duel against prestige 2 peacekeepers and orochi's. I'm getting my rear end beat obviously.

Just gotta get good, I suppose. Peacekeeper is easiest for me to do well with but Lawbringer and Raider are very fun too. Is raider bad? Ive read that he's bad.

Your matchmaking rank is based on your overall win/loss ratio across all characters. This is a messy way of handling it in its own, but it's combined with the fact that in group matches it averages out among all participants.

Lawbringer is an extremely rough, disadvantaged class right now in a straight fight, but there's nothing else I'd rather play in terms of style. Just play what you think is fun and pray they balance things out.

Started dabbling in shugoki for duels and I just love how stupidly cumbersome and weighty everything feels, like a drunken bull through a china shop. It's very entertaining.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 10, 2017

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I heard Tru3 say that he is shortening that phrase thing and that he knows and likes that no one knows what the gently caress he is saying. I also find it annoying. Nothing he can do about his face I guess. I can't watch him for long periods either. I do watch his vids sometimes which are more condensed.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

zeldadude posted:

He's supposedly getting some sort of buff soon, so it's probably worth getting used to him even though he's in a bad spot right now. There's probably no better character at the moment for bullying people off cliffs if you don't care about HONOR, but in an actual fight he's kind of limited on options. The only guaranteed hits you can get are a side heavy attack after a successful guard break, and a light attack after a successful Long Arm. Everything else comes out really slow and is likely to get blocked or parried, so you're kind of left cheesing everyone by trying to set up one of those two scenarios. Since you're still starting out, you can probably nail people over and over with Shove -> Guard Break -> Side Heavy -> Shove (repeat). You have to tech the guard break to get out of it, and newer players either don't have the timing down or tend to panic with so much pressure coming at them. I'm almost prestige 4 and it still works most of the time.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

He's supposedly getting some sort of buff soon, so it's probably worth getting used to him even though he's in a bad spot right now. There's probably no better character at the moment for bullying people off cliffs if you don't care about HONOR, but in an actual fight he's kind of limited on options. The only guaranteed hits you can get are a side heavy attack after a successful guard break, and a light attack after a successful Long Arm. Everything else comes out really slow and is likely to get blocked or parried, so you're kind of left cheesing everyone by trying to set up one of those two scenarios. Since you're still starting out, you can probably nail people over and over with Shove -> Guard Break -> Side Heavy -> Shove (repeat). You have to tech the guard break to get out of it, and newer players either don't have the timing down or tend to panic with so much pressure coming at them. I'm almost prestige 4 and it still works most of the time.

Buddy I was able to do it with a renown 10 the other day; that silly little number is rarely an accurate representation of merit, in my experience. Most of what you said is very true; you can also guarantee a light off a parry. Your spear charge is really great for catching and punishing runners. I've lost track of the times I've sheepdog'd a runner off a cliff through careful pursuit and aiming. Make sure you say "I caught you, you wascally wabbit" in chat afterward for maximum effect. Finally, try to throw people into walls as often as possible, as the stagger guarantees a top heavy, which is stronger than the sides. The daze from the top heavy will frequently confuse them enough that I can slip in a side light after as well.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Favorite new thing in this game is sidestepping shield bashing Conquerers and Warlords and hitting them with the Kensei dash attack.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Don't forget that they've shown every indication that being able to feint a parry is being removed - i.e. if you heavy attack in your opponent's parry window it won't be able to be cancelled.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-03-for-honor-ubisoft-answers-the-big-questions

quote:

Today first we have some bugs that make it even more true, like the fact you can safely parry. You can trigger a parry and if you miss it you have a really short timeframe to convert it into a feint and still block. That is a bug we're currently trying to address. That's making it a little bit more defensive.

It's actually making it hugely defensive IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

So much for the whole "people turtle too much, we're working on that." I have to seriously wonder how much playtesting they do, compared to reliance on their braindead metrics.

Edit: well no, after thinking about it I kind of understand where they're coming from, even if it's misguided. I'm on my phone, or I'd elaborate.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 10, 2017