Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

It's more or less impossible for people who grew up playing Zelda to be rational about Zelda, so reviewer scores are especially meaningless here.

I think a good part of it is that it's pretty much the best-designed open world I've ever seen.

Even absent my Zelda nostalgia--which is significantly weakened by the fact that I haven't really enjoyed a 3D Zelda game since Wind Waker and even then I think its linearity is a huge downside--I'd probably give it a close-to-perfect score just because of how fun it is to explore and how good it feels to just get lost and almost always find something cool. I've said it before, but I've legitimately never played an open world game that made me want to just go walking around and find things for multiple play sessions in a row, with no care for progressing the story or my character's stats/equipment/power. It twists the open world formula in ways that I think earn it a ton of points even over the flaws. It's not that I overlook the flaws--I definitely notice them--but that the whole experience is so smooth and enjoyable on the whole that it really is more that they are flaws rather than defects, if that distinction makes any sense.

I want more open world games to do what Zelda does with the "climb a tower" thing: it only reveals map geography, and it's up to you to use the tower's high vantage point to mark places you want to explore for yourself. It's a simple change in philosophy that a) was probably much harder to execute than it seems because of the demands it places on world design, and b) lets the player actually explore rather than beeline towards pre-marked objectives. Other open world games do reward exploration, but BotW demands it and, critically, the size of the world never seems like a detriment (or that demand for exploration would turn tedious).

ImpAtom posted:

Even beyond objectivity, 'the top score in a critical review' has not and should never mean 'literally without flaw.' Nobody looks at a 4/5/whatever star movie review and goes "oh gosh, that means this movie is perfect and has no flaws?!" or sees the top score for a gadget review and assumes that it cures cancer or whatever. The fact that a top score is treated as The Literal Perfect Game is as much a problem with review scoring as the fact that 7 is treated as a failure. If you have a review score you literally never use then your review system is pretty stupid.

Also very true. I appreciate when review outlets that still use scores treat a perfect score as "one of the absolute best games to come out in recent memory" rather than "no game can ever get a perfect score because every game has flaws :smuggo:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

oddium posted:

show them your sword

I doubt he could hide it if he wanted to

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

There are a ton of really good dialogue options in the game. I like the guy you can talk to and just keep picking 'Why?' after everything he says

Basically all of the non-voiced dialog is excellent, it's just the voiced stuff that is often clunky and/or boring. I respect that they wanted to bring voice to Zelda eventually and that it enables them to make certain cutscenes (like Link's memory flashbacks) more "cinematic," but I think it detracts more than it adds. Just reading all the great non-voiced dialog makes me wish that the dialog in those critical voice-acted scenes could be that full of character and charm, too.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

zelda's voice actress is good

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Does Link talk or just do his "haaaiaaa" thing?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Does Link talk or just do his "haaaiaaa" thing?

Just the "Haaiaaa" thing, no voiced lines. He does have a good amount of dialog I guess because you have lots of silly dialog options but he never gets a text box or a voiced word.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wonder if Link is also british like Zelda

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

for 100 years you've been asking "who is Link Knightman?" this is Link Knightman speaking

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

oddium posted:

for 100 years you've been asking "who is Link Knightman?" this is Link Knightman speaking

:eyepop:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the cutscenes are funny because half of them have a line to the effect of "say something" or "your silence speaks volumes"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The final boss of Oath in Felghana is kind of a bummer to me because of how much I love the rest of the game but I beat it again. I may start a NG+ file immediately on Very Easy and see if I could beat the game in like 3 hours

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

oddium posted:

show them your sword
I did!!!

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Lmao just heard a short story on npr about that video where the kids interrupt the video.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What is a Cold War fantasy?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What is a Cold War fantasy?

I don't fuckin know, she was semi young, probably not born during the actual event, probably just the sort of person who might romanticize the world wars

It was just super weird to hear it considering the current political climate

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

Anyone who is stupid enough to think a perfect score means a perfect game probably has trouble figuring out that they should stop trying to breathe underwater.

This is lovely and you're being oddly combatative about it. I'm not sitting here going "it should get a 46/56 instead of 800/837" or arguing some weird thing about what constitutes an objectively perfect game. If reviewers have trouble giving a game a 7 or a 4 or a 8, not my problem. Zelda's not a 10 and after putting in 20 hours, I get increasingly surprised that this game got such universal acclaim. The performance problems definitely play into it but some frustrating parts of the design like aspects of the stamina system or the awkward cooking UI that prevents me from cooking multiple things at the same time. Lots of little issues that mar an otherwise solid game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the cooking was obviously designed around the inventory screen being on the tablet, instead of just Tap Here to Play. still a weird system

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's amazing that only one series of games has produced a perfect product and it did it three times.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

truly. thank you, kojima

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I guess Snake Eater is a Cold War fantasy.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are there video games with a co-op mode but playing single-player is better?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Knack.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dead Space 3 is just Dead Space 2 2 if you don't play it in co-op so that'd be my answer.

There's also Nuclear Throne, but that's because its co-op mode has really annoying gameplay changes like "revive your partner in 5 seconds with half your HP if they day, or you both die"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

Mario 3D World in my experience only served to piss of my gf because I couldn't stop throwing her off cliffs by accident. it's easy to get lost or go too far ahead in levels, loving up your friends

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

donkey Kong country: a tropical freeze

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Guy Goodbody posted:

Imo SMB U, Tropical Freeze, and Rayman Legends are more fun in single player than coop because coop can be frustrating at times but the coop can still be enjoyable.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I guess platformers where all the players share a screen don't work great

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Tropical Freeze is nearly a perfect video game, but the game gets a billion times harder if you play it co-op

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My friend and I are actually looking into PC co op games, so if anyone could recommend one that'd be appreciated. We liked Factorio, Civ V, Starbound, so something like that. Thanks!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

My friend and I are actually looking into PC co op games, so if anyone could recommend one that'd be appreciated. We liked Factorio, Civ V, Starbound, so something like that. Thanks!!

Europa Universalis IV

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't even know what I'm doing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jay Rust posted:

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

it looks like you're doing some sort of jig

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

Is this for the MoO-like you've worked on?

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

bloodychill posted:

This is lovely and you're being oddly combatative about it. I'm not sitting here going "it should get a 46/56 instead of 800/837" or arguing some weird thing about what constitutes an objectively perfect game. If reviewers have trouble giving a game a 7 or a 4 or a 8, not my problem. Zelda's not a 10 and after putting in 20 hours, I get increasingly surprised that this game got such universal acclaim. The performance problems definitely play into it but some frustrating parts of the design like aspects of the stamina system or the awkward cooking UI that prevents me from cooking multiple things at the same time. Lots of little issues that mar an otherwise solid game.

About half of Metacritic's top 20 best reviewed games contain games with performance issues. It includes Ocarina of Time (N64), Grand Theft Auto 4 (PS3/360), Grand Theft Auto 5 (PS3/360), and Perfect Dark (N64, RAM expansion for High resolution and most modes) Many remasters and ports with improved performance, such as GTA 5 (PS4/XB1) and The Last of US (PS4), scored about the same as their original releases.

This generation we've seen a number of games receive GoTY awards despite severe performance issues, such as Shadow of Mordor, Bloodbourne, and The Witcher 3. On the other hand, games with great performance and visuals but uninspiring gameplay or low content get eviscerated, such as The Order 1886. I guess the takeaway is that reviewers and players will forgive performance issues if the game is groundbreaking, fully-featured and engaging.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Ni-Oh is balanced for singleplayer but the developer is patching in improvements to co-op.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Performance only matters if the game becomes unplayable for it, imo. There's a million things I care about in a game before framerate. Unless it's a FG or a shmup, but arguably the framerate is intrinsic to the gameplay anyway so it becomes hard to separate

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'd rather have poo poo textures and high frame rate than the other way around, personally.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In Training posted:

Europa Universalis IV

I like your thinking but my friend expressly stated that he doesn't want to play it

Macaluso posted:

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime

I've never heard of it before but it seems cool, thank you!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jay Rust posted:

I'd rather have poo poo textures and high frame rate than the other way around, personally.

:same:

the frame drops in BotW actually drive me thoroughly nutty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bloodychill posted:

Is this for the MoO-like you've worked on?

You mean the Star Control 2 ripoff? Nah, I'm not doing art for that one, that's Frankie and a couple others. This is just me fiddling with a Gargoyle's Quest-like platformer I had started ages ago.

It's basically an excuse to get better at pixel art.

• Locked thread