Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
That totally was VVVVVV music and the Mario World sound font was not kind to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Mysticblade posted:

Transcription is effort, I'd tell you to just skip unless the hack's writing is really worth it.

What are you planning? I've been wanting to LP FE Midori but I'm busy with other stuff at the moment.

My first thought was Elibean Nights, which is why I was thinking about text; I want to see how fanfic it is.

Another option sans need for text dumps would be one of the wackier FE4 hacks; I recently saw one that reverses recruitment order (within generations). That or a GBA randomizer.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 7, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I didn't expect the background stuff to be actual levels, I thought it'd be just...background. I'm surprised.

Also someone get Snoruntpyro in this thread so we can have opinions about a level directly from its creator.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
This level contains many facets of Gutsman.

ROCKMAN CX #12: SPILL YOUR GUTS
(Heavy Sigh, Shinryu, El Generico, NGDBSS, Combat Lobster, and Simply Simon)

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also someone get Snoruntpyro in this thread so we can have opinions about a level directly from its creator.

Probably have better luck here: http://talkhaus.raocow.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17212

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Heavy Sigh posted:

I like the demented smiles on the "beams" here.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

C-Euro posted:

I like the demented smiles on the "beams" here.

They are another Mother 3 enemy.

http://earthbound.wikia.com/wiki/Short_Circuit_Zap!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

They also have the battle music that plays as the stage music. If nothing else, the creator put some thought into the soundtrack selection.

gently caress the Carpet Monsters, though.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
You know, for what it's worth, besides the dick move at the end the spinjump challenge didn't really look unfair or anything. I feel like it would have been neat if it had maybe just been its own level?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The biggest fault of the spinjump section is that it has no connection to the first half of the level and spikes the difficulty. It breaks the level's cohesion a little bit. I think it would've been better explored in its own level with both halves dedicated to the concept.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Heavy Sigh posted:

I tried to do that without Quick Man.

Let's just say it took a lot of savestates. :negative:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

... Why does his first form shoot Bullet Bills?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Aerdan posted:

... Why does his first form shoot Bullet Bills?

Because romhacks.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Heavy Sigh posted:

I finally got around to watching these videos, and the hack is certainly impressive on a technical scale. It's just a shame about everything else.

Also the sheer disbelief at the bullshit the game pulls had me in stitches.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dr. Fetus posted:

I finally got around to watching these videos, and the hack is certainly impressive on a technical scale. It's just a shame about everything else.

Also the sheer disbelief at the bullshit the game pulls had me in stitches.

The last video is the most impressive one, in both senses of your post.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 5 - Grind on a Sasquatch :siren:

Alternate titles included Pop a Tent, and Cards for Grandpa!

Also I think this is the first video where I employ speedup in my videos in an attempt to cut down on tedium. It's kind of a weird line to toe, but I feel like I found a good solution. Basically, if I'm ever retreading ground, I'll speed it up and resume normal speed where I start making progress again.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The roundup for episodes 4 and 5. Sadly I had a bunch of issues with the recording, especially towards the end so you'll have to take my word for some of it.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=146802

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Gundam Wing is the only anime I've watched front to back so having a character names Hiiro (and having him actually be good) is pleasing to the tiny amount of middle schooler left in me.

Are R-Nuke and R-Elem present in the base game in any way, or were they added into the hack as a fun thing to play around with if they ended up on a playable character?

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

As far as I'm aware, those commands are new for the hack. Also added are W-variants, which are a lot like R-variants if they sometimes cast two things, and the second cast usually targets the party instead. I'm really happy I've only seen R-variants in the LP seed.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
A short one today, but there's still a lot to unpack here.

ROCKMAN CX #13: The Heatman Principle

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

What a dirty cheater!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Huge variation in level qualities today.

Today's tip: Coins are generally indicators of safety in Mario, so make sure that any coin path you make for the player will be safe. The player should be able to follow that exact path and not be hit.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Fish in Space! looked super fun to play through, not too hard and not too easy. Very much a nice refreshing change of pace after that bullet bill launcher cloud level.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

That fish level :allears:

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

I spoke too soon on the subject of shmups.

e: Is the music for that stage mentioned in it, tho? It sounds like something either from an obscure RPG or a Sentai opening.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

Mister Olympus posted:

My first thought was Elibean Nights, which is why I was thinking about text; I want to see how fanfic it is.
Like most GBAFE hacks, you can pop Elibian Nights into FEditor Adv's text editor, and grab all the text parts from there. All you'll need to do is clean out the formatting tags.

Otherwise, Arch himself might have a full script for you to borrow? When Zwingley and I LP'd his hack waaay back with the FE romhacks megathread, he was very helpful and enthused about it (to the point that he made me a beta-tester for the mod, apparently). Then again, I went into it very much overexcited and giving him free praise, so YMMV there.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Oh boy, time to play some FE8 again!

Remember Seth? He was so good.

wait, what the hell are you doing here arden

Welcome to Fire Emblem Midori, also known as the Green hack.

Midori is an ambitious hack of FE8 (Sacred Stones) by some Japanese dev's. The main basis of the hack is that everyone is Green. It's a very full fledged hack with plenty of new ASM implement. At the moment, some of the ASM implemented in this game hasn't been replicated in the english FE hacking community but with fine minds like Tequila and circles at work, I'm sure we'll catch up. So this should be rather novel for the GBA engine.

General expectations here are that you've played a Fire Emblem game, hopefully FE8. If you haven't, just tell me so here and I'll make a quick write up on stuff you might need to follow along. There's also an FE8 LP on the LParchive you can check out. It covers some of the basic stuff and it'll be easier to appreciate Midori's changes if you know the original.

On to the update! Click here.

Update List
Prologue/C1
C2
C3
C4
C5
C5x

Mysticblade fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 6, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FPzero posted:

Huge variation in level qualities today.

Today's tip: Coins are generally indicators of safety in Mario, so make sure that any coin path you make for the player will be safe. The player should be able to follow that exact path and not be hit.

That fish in space level was pretty cool, but some of those jumps in the autoscroll section are bullshit.

Did you finish the space map? Wasn't there more to the left of the fortress?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The path left of the fortress just loops down to the lower path. Even though you can't see them, you can place path tiles for Mario to walk on underneath the world map border. So in this case Mario will walk off the screen and reappear down there.

Mystic: I'm excited to see FE Green Hack. I know people have talked about it before but I don't think it was ever shown off for the old FE romhacks thread. Looking forward to seeing how crazy it gets.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Some of the FE Midori portraits are bothering me. I'm not quite sure why. There's just something off about them.

Looks fun though. I appreciated when the games separated strength and magic, since hybrid classes are usually my favorites in RPGs, though I was unaware Thracia had them split like that. It makes sense to port that over to the GBA where it would be hard to fit in another bar on the stat screen.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Miacis posted:

Like most GBAFE hacks, you can pop Elibian Nights into FEditor Adv's text editor, and grab all the text parts from there. All you'll need to do is clean out the formatting tags.

Otherwise, Arch himself might have a full script for you to borrow? When Zwingley and I LP'd his hack waaay back with the FE romhacks megathread, he was very helpful and enthused about it (to the point that he made me a beta-tester for the mod, apparently). Then again, I went into it very much overexcited and giving him free praise, so YMMV there.

Perhaps! This is all ultimately going to be a couple months out in any case tho, need to graduate first.

I had never even heard of FE Green, but from knowledge of non-translated things like Binary and FEGirls, I'm sure this is a ride.

e: oh it's because it's all the characters with green hair. what on earth

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 11, 2017

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Mister Olympus posted:

I spoke too soon on the subject of shmups.

e: Is the music for that stage mentioned in it, tho? It sounds like something either from an obscure RPG or a Sentai opening.

Kirby song.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Canto was already in the original Sacred Stones, and I think the other GBA games as well. It wasn't a skill then, just an ability all mounted units had by default.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I would legitimately love it if they made Cecilia as notoriously terrible as she is in her own game

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

kvx687 posted:

Canto was already in the original Sacred Stones, and I think the other GBA games as well. It wasn't a skill then, just an ability all mounted units had by default.

I assume Mystic means they can now move after attacking, which was specifically something mounted units couldn't do in the GBA titles.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, quick clarification. The Canto that is now implemented is the FE9/10 Canto where you can move again after attacking. GBA Canto usually just allows you to move again after visiting a village or rescuing people, not fighting. Also, it's technically a class ability rather than a skill.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Sorry for taking so long to produce Part Four: White-Water Rafting; this time I have no excuse.

I'm going to leave the poll up for a week and then I'll tackle the scenarios in popularity order.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

One of my friends started playing Midori, so I felt like playing Midori and thus, I recorded Chapter 2. Click on the picture for an update, it's a quick one. We'll get some crazy stuff before C9, C5x is the one I'm looking forward to.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Osian totally doesn't have green hair. The gently caress is this? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

AlphaKretin posted:

Osian totally doesn't have green hair. The gently caress is this? :colbert:

No, but his shirt and headband are green!

• Locked thread