Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Dying Light is so much fun co-op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Lurdiak posted:

You mean the Star Control 2 ripoff? Nah, I'm not doing art for that one, that's Frankie and a couple others. This is just me fiddling with a Gargoyle's Quest-like platformer I had started ages ago.

It's basically an excuse to get better at pixel art.

this one looks like it's moving backwards because of the sleeves. unless that's what's intended

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

oddium posted:

this one looks like it's moving backwards because of the sleeves. unless that's what's intended

Eh it might just be one of those things:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

I'd rather have poo poo textures and high frame rate than the other way around, personally.

:yeah:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

oddium posted:

I know, it's been driving me crazy.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Dying Light is so much fun co-op.

It's pretty fun in general. Too bad about the awful writing and the QTE last boss, or that game'd be greatest of all time for me.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

My friend and I are actually looking into PC co op games, so if anyone could recommend one that'd be appreciated. We liked Factorio, Civ V, Starbound, so something like that. Thanks!!

If you have the patience for or genuinely like 4x Sins of a Solar Empire, Age of Wonders 3, and Endless Legend are all fun and have different approaches to the 4x formula.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Sunning posted:

About half of Metacritic's top 20 best reviewed games contain games with performance issues. It includes Ocarina of Time (N64), Grand Theft Auto 4 (PS3/360), Grand Theft Auto 5 (PS3/360), and Perfect Dark (N64, RAM expansion for High resolution and most modes) Many remasters and ports with improved performance, such as GTA 5 (PS4/XB1) and The Last of US (PS4), scored about the same as their original releases.

This generation we've seen a number of games receive GoTY awards despite severe performance issues, such as Shadow of Mordor, Bloodbourne, and The Witcher 3. On the other hand, games with great performance and visuals but uninspiring gameplay or low content get eviscerated, such as The Order 1886. I guess the takeaway is that reviewers and players will forgive performance issues if the game is groundbreaking, fully-featured and engaging.

It's totally fair to value those things over performance but performance is still important and it's not a strictly either/or situation. Arguably it affects experience. Perfect Dark is the poster game for that in my opinion. It was nearly unplayable until we got the RAM upgrade. Even then, Golden Eye was a better game in its time, though the wall gun in Perfect Dark was really neat.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jay Rust posted:

Eh it might just be one of those things:

I just spent several minutes trying to make her spin the other way around and I couldn't do it. :cripes:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I just spent several minutes trying to make her spin the other way around and I couldn't do it. :cripes:

Look at the lower foot and its reflection and focus on it, that's usually a good way to do it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Look at the lower foot and its reflection and focus on it, that's usually a good way to do it

Got it, thank you!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ughhhh today just got really loving lovely really loving fast. Does anyone have any funny or cute video suggestions for me to help cheer me up

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FirstAidKite posted:

Ughhhh today just got really loving lovely really loving fast. Does anyone have any funny or cute video suggestions for me to help cheer me up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEXC5zGac4U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gBLSLtHGf4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dQBLAWslLk&t=217s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HHP3P_1bNM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8XAlSp838Y

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE-v13xtEZc

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bloodychill posted:

This is lovely and you're being oddly combatative about it. I'm not sitting here going "it should get a 46/56 instead of 800/837" or arguing some weird thing about what constitutes an objectively perfect game. If reviewers have trouble giving a game a 7 or a 4 or a 8, not my problem. Zelda's not a 10 and after putting in 20 hours, I get increasingly surprised that this game got such universal acclaim. The performance problems definitely play into it but some frustrating parts of the design like aspects of the stamina system or the awkward cooking UI that prevents me from cooking multiple things at the same time. Lots of little issues that mar an otherwise solid game.

I don't agree that the stamina system is bad, beyond sprinting, nor the cooking system. I guess it'd be nice to be able to queue up multiple cooking recipes, but it's something that honestly has never crossed my mind so clearly the way you cook in-game isn't coming across as a flaw to me. The performance issues are undeniable, but when so much of the game is so good that I (a huge loving baby who is actually bothered by realizing I'm playing the game in 720p instead of 900p despite the miniscule difference that would make) can overlook them, the game must be pretty goddamn incredible.

While I think ImpAtom was being more combative than necessary there, I agree with the larger point that a game can still be a "10/10" game even with flaws. Even with noticeable flaws, even with non-subjective flaws like performance issues. It's why that "greater than the sum of its parts" statement exists, and while I think that might come across as meaningless nonsense to some people, it holds water with me. (Incidentally, I also think Dark Souls and Bloodborne are games that have serious flaws but that I'd also rate almost perfect to perfect because they subjective experience of playing them overrides their flaws). I guess I also draw a line between "flaws" (something that I think is an error in design or a technical problem but doesn't seriously hinder my enjoyment) and "defects" (a serious flaw that really does hinder my enjoyment) and I also acknowledge that the line between the two is incredibly subjective.

I think the other part is that when I see a 10/10 review, I know subjectivity is coming into it. I assume a pretty high degree of subjectivity with any review, but frankly, I don't think anything reaches 10/10 without a serious boost from the reviewer's subjective experience of it, and I'm okay with that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Do you follow the Cute Thread over at PYF? It's the best thread in the forums, bar none.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh I guess Bloodborne is also a perfect game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Hello do you like capybaras because this one is friends with puppies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRqIY5YxIKo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lQMXyNUmDs

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

This is lovely and you're being oddly combatative about it. I'm not sitting here going "it should get a 46/56 instead of 800/837" or arguing some weird thing about what constitutes an objectively perfect game. If reviewers have trouble giving a game a 7 or a 4 or a 8, not my problem. Zelda's not a 10 and after putting in 20 hours, I get increasingly surprised that this game got such universal acclaim. The performance problems definitely play into it but some frustrating parts of the design like aspects of the stamina system or the awkward cooking UI that prevents me from cooking multiple things at the same time. Lots of little issues that mar an otherwise solid game.

No it isn't. If you think that the top score in a review means "literal perfection' then you are acting really dumb, yes. You're the one who decided I was somehow insulting you for not liking Zelda enough.

I said nothing about Zelda's quality, objective or subjective. Literally all I said was "it's dumb for people to treat high scores as a claim of perfection." You, inexplicably, took this as "and he's actually saying I'm bad for not liking Zelda!!!" for no reason at all except you were looking to get angry at someone.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 11, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Harrow posted:

I don't agree that the stamina system is bad, beyond sprinting, nor the cooking system. I guess it'd be nice to be able to queue up multiple cooking recipes, but it's something that honestly has never crossed my mind so clearly the way you cook in-game isn't coming across as a flaw to me. The performance issues are undeniable, but when so much of the game is so good that I (a huge loving baby who is actually bothered by realizing I'm playing the game in 720p instead of 900p despite the miniscule difference that would make) can overlook them, the game must be pretty goddamn incredible.

While I think ImpAtom was being more combative than necessary there, I agree with the larger point that a game can still be a "10/10" game even with flaws. Even with noticeable flaws, even with non-subjective flaws like performance issues. It's why that "greater than the sum of its parts" statement exists, and while I think that might come across as meaningless nonsense to some people, it holds water with me. (Incidentally, I also think Dark Souls and Bloodborne are games that have serious flaws but that I'd also rate almost perfect to perfect because they subjective experience of playing them overrides their flaws). I guess I also draw a line between "flaws" (something that I think is an error in design or a technical problem but doesn't seriously hinder my enjoyment) and "defects" (a serious flaw that really does hinder my enjoyment) and I also acknowledge that the line between the two is incredibly subjective.

I think the other part is that when I see a 10/10 review, I know subjectivity is coming into it. I assume a pretty high degree of subjectivity with any review, but frankly, I don't think anything reaches 10/10 without a serious boost from the reviewer's subjective experience of it, and I'm okay with that.

The cooking really bugs me. Like the food and elixers are useful in the game but I can't cook 5 at a time easily with my giant pile of ingredients cuz ?

Fair points though.

ImpAtom posted:

No it isn't. If you think that the top score in a review means "literal perfection' then you are acting really dumb, yes. You're the one who decided I was somehow insulting you for not liking Zelda enough.

I didn't say literal perfection. I said perfect score and the fact that you're pushy and throw around insults for reasons I don't fully understand is the part I'm taking issue with. Like what Harrow said below basically.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 11, 2017

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Botw is the best game of all time

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I said nothing about Zelda's quality, objective or subjective. Literally all I said was "it's dumb for people to treat high scores as a claim of perfection." You, inexplicably, took this as "and he's actually saying I'm bad for not liking Zelda!!!" for no reason at all except you were looking to get angry at someone.

I mean, I think bloodychill's point isn't that "10/10" must equal "perfect," but instead that, to them, the flaws are severe enough that they drag down the overall experience and therefore it doesn't make sense that the game is getting such universal acclaim. I don't think that's a stupid stance to take, I just disagree with their opinion about whether certain game systems are good or bad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

I mean, I think bloodychill's point isn't that "10/10" must equal "perfect," but instead that, to them, the flaws are severe enough that they drag down the overall experience and therefore it doesn't make sense that the game is getting such universal acclaim. I don't think that's a stupid stance to take, I just disagree with their opinion about whether certain game systems are good or bad.

I don't personally care if anyone dislikes or even hates Zelda. I know someone who hates it merely because they liked the old style of Zelda and feels the new one is too unfocused and poorly implimented and takes away from what they enjoyed in Zelda. Literally my only point was going "I can find a flaw, why did this game get a good score?!" is silly because as you pointed out earlier the answer can be "while this flaw exists the person writing did not find it significant or serious enough to constitute a serious flaw."

It's really frustrating when any comment at all is taken as some sort of aggressive attack on someone's opinion on a game, let alone one where I didn't actually say anything about someone's opinion on a game.

bloodychill posted:

I didn't say literal perfection. I said perfect score and the fact that you're pushy and throw around insults for reasons I don't fully understand is the part I'm taking issue with. Like what Harrow said below basically.

Okay, Bloodychill:

What game deserves a perfect score? Because right now your comment doesn't actually appear to differ between perfect score and literal perfection and the fact that you're taking it as an insult against you implies to me that is exactly what you mean.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

ethanol posted:

Botw is the best game of all time

THIS IS WHAT RANDOS ACTUALLY BELIEVE

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I want to keep playing RE7 but it doesn't feel right to do it during the day.

Edit: Also, http://fuckyeahinterspeciesfriendships.tumblr.com/

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
People in these forums sure like to gravitate between "who cares about review scores" and "no THIS is how review scores should work"

It's just critics offering their opinion, and while critics have their place in entertainment, they are some of the most useless people in modern society imo. Also remember that they are driven by clicks

Don't trip so much about what grading systems they are or aren't using, I'd say focusing more on the qualitative aspects of their opinions is the way to go

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Here, have a fox friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1TLthE03U0

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Dead Space 3 is just Dead Space 2 2 if you don't play it in co-op so that'd be my answer.

It also has significantly worse level design, less enemy variety and worse writing in cutscenes that you can't skip.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3nR_4F1anI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnR40pNkIkQ

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

GUI posted:

It also has significantly worse level design, less enemy variety and worse writing in cutscenes that you can't skip.

A part of me still wishes that Shadow Isaac was something that actually made it into the final game so that at least then we might have gotten a funny YouTube out of DS3's failure.

quote:

Isaac has a split personality in Dead Space 3 and "Shadow Isaac" taunts Isaac every chance he gets. For example, Shadow Isaac calls Isaac an idiot after he falls into a tunnel late in the game. Isaac complains this rescue mission isn’t his mission and the shadow retorts and tells Isaac he turns his back on the wrong things. Isaac shouts to the shadow to shut up, who replies to Isaac by saying he’s making all of the noise. Dead Space 3 is going to have this kind of banter – a sarcastic shadow and Isaac crossing tongues. Players will be able to see the shadow as a separate on screen character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

A part of me still wishes that Shadow Isaac was something that actually made it into the final game so that at least then we might have gotten a funny YouTube out of DS3's failure.

That would have been better than what we got.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The idea that some people think Bloodborne has severe performance issues blows my mind. Is there a perceptible drop in framerate in a few places? Sure. Perceptible. Does it impact your ability to okay the game at all? No.

To me, severe performance issues implies actual lag. Which plenty of games have.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
It's not severe but it sure is a bummer, especially after playing ds3 in a buttery 60fps. People over exaggerate how bad the performance is, but people also super understate how much better 60 fps is.

Bloodborne in 60 fps would mean a huge improvement in regards to the overall experience, which is already incredible

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

bleed 2 has good music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZwUrtVMou4

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'll say that I adore the Dead Space franchise and 3 isn't a bad game (it's fun, even more so in co-op), but it was a crushing disappointment compared to 2 which was incredible and a huge improvement over the already great first game.

I got a good laugh out of 3's DLC's ending, though. How it retcons the game's happy ending and ends with the ridiculous killer moons about to destroy Earth and the universe. It's pretty obvious they intended to follow up on that with a fourth game, but with the franchise being dead (heh!!!) that's a pretty unintentionally bleak ending.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I don't remember Krogan sexual dimorphism being so bad in the original games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Gotta stock up!

• Locked thread